How do you approach gear building?

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
I personally try to keep my builds very open and not too focused on one specific ability. I love ssu but all the weapons I play have other downsides that that could be made less worse with some other abilities like ism or scu. I try to make sure that my builds are as well rounded as possible to make the main weapons strengths even stronger and their weaknesses more manageable. That does mean I don't get to use a lot of the abilities I enjoy the most but I prefer having a weapon feel better overall than just having better movement.

I know that's not the same for everyone though and a lot of people make builds centered on a special or they have multiple builds for the same weapon. I've only recently started to experiment with that idea, especially for Rainmaker.

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I personally try to keep my builds very open and not too focused on one specific ability. I love ssu but all the weapons I play have other downsides that that could be made less worse with some other abilities like ism or scu. I try to make sure that my builds are as well rounded as possible to make the main weapons strengths even stronger and their weaknesses more manageable. That does mean I don't get to use a lot of the abilities I enjoy the most but I prefer having a weapon feel better overall than just having better movement.

I know that's not the same for everyone though and a lot of people make builds centered on a special or they have multiple builds for the same weapon. I've only recently started to experiment with that idea, especially for Rainmaker.
I'm pretty similar in terms of builds, I like having well rounded ones that don't focus too hard on one thing, I usually don't use more than one main and two subs of one ability, especially since stacking a lot of it starts becoming less effective.
And I also started doing different builds for different modes for sorella brella and recycled, which is actually pretty valuable imo! Though I don't change too many things usually

Honestly I think making gear is actually really satisfying! Here, shameless sendou ink plug lmao:

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
I'm pretty similar in terms of builds, I like having well rounded ones that don't focus too hard on one thing, I usually don't use more than one main and two subs of one ability, especially since stacking a lot of it starts becoming less effective.
And I also started doing different builds for different modes for sorella brella and recycled, which is actually pretty valuable imo! Though I don't change too many things usually

Honestly I think making gear is actually really satisfying! Here, shameless sendou ink plug lmao:
Sendou makes gear building so much more enjoyable. Just being able to easily check how much a weapons movement and ink management changes with certain amount of abilities is one of the most useful resources I've ever had for any game.
Before I knew about Sendou, I used to just test with different gear in game using Machine and take notes on how they improved the weapon and how many subs or mains I needed. I was used to it because I had to do something similar for Smash Ultimate years ago lmao

I wish we had more space for builds as well, only 5 sets is definitely not enough. I remember seeing somewhere that Splatoon amiibo can give you around 9 sets of space so I guess I gotta go find one soon.

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Sendou makes gear building so much more enjoyable. Just being able to easily check how much a weapons movement and ink management changes with certain amount of abilities is one of the most useful resources I've ever had for any game.
Before I knew about Sendou, I used to just test with different gear in game using Machine and take notes on how they improved the weapon and how many subs or mains I needed. I was used to it because I had to do something similar for Smash Ultimate years ago lmao
Yeah it feels sooo nice just seeing the actual numbers, it's crazy how much of a difference that makes. It definitely goes into ultra optimzation territory sometimes, which some people don't like and I get it, but I use it all the time now, it's lowkey addicting
(here's the link if any people have no clue what we're talking about haha: https://sendou.ink/analyzer)

It's also really funny to cringe at my old builds I won't lie 😅

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
It's also really funny to cringe at my old builds I won't lie 😅
One of my oldest Machine builds had a main of QSJ instead of Stealth Jump and two mains of ism lol
That was way before I knew how gear worked though, I just knew I needed more ink for more sloshes.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I have a few pairs of shoes with SJ/OS and various combinations of utility subs, since I'll generally want those on the weapons I play. Then I'll pick one of those, look through the shirts and hats that I have, and pick whatever combo gets me closest to the abilities I want. This is why I try to roll the sub abilities on as many gear pieces that I can (the ones with mains I care about, anyway), so that I have the most options to choose from.
On weapons I play a lot, I'll sometimes figure out the exact abilities I want, and make a gear set just for that. But generally I just use what I have available because I don't want to spend too much time worrying about gear. It can be helpful, but I think my time is better spent improving things like game awareness and decision making.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
I have a few pairs of shoes with SJ/OS and various combinations of utility subs, since I'll generally want those on the weapons I play. Then I'll pick one of those, look through the shirts and hats that I have, and pick whatever combo gets me closest to the abilities I want. This is why I try to roll the sub abilities on as many gear pieces that I can (the ones with mains I care about, anyway), so that I have the most options to choose from.
On weapons I play a lot, I'll sometimes figure out the exact abilities I want, and make a gear set just for that. But generally I just use what I have available because I don't want to spend too much time worrying about gear. It can be helpful, but I think my time is better spent improving things like game awareness and decision making.
Yeah, your overall skill as a player will have a bigger impact than your build but I really can't play the weapons I like without a build anymore lol
It really helps with my mentality since I know my weapon is the best it could be right now so any mistakes will all be on me.
Making a build can take forever without enough chunks though so I understand not wanting to spend so much time on that.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Yeah, your overall skill as a player will have a bigger impact than your build but I really can't play the weapons I like without a build anymore lol
It really helps with my mentality since I know my weapon is the best it could be right now so any mistakes will all be on me.
Making a build can take forever without enough chunks though so I understand not wanting to spend so much time on that.
I wasn't talking about grinding, although that is part of it. I just meant the theory crafting. One day I was on sendou.ink and realized i had just spent two or three hours thinking about exactly how much I wanted of each ability which only has a very minor impact on the game anyway. And I was like, I could have learned a lot on those 2 hours. So I stopped.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
praise our lord and savior sendou for sendou.ink! enough has been said in this thread about sendou ink already so i wont say much else than that

i like making up for weapon weaknesses first so that i know how much i have left for adding things i want
i also do not like making a piece of gear have purely 1 type of ability on it, it feels restricting and usually never need that much besides qr but that has fallen off because cooler

stamper has been 50-60% of my weapon usage in every season. i played it so much that the gear that i wanted to use on it just came naturally (with some help from sendou ink of course). to the point where i barely know how to decide what gear to use for other weapons. which means i end up using my stamper build on almost all the other weapons i play. it's a good thing the build actually works kinda well on dualie squelchers, squeezer and range blaster and nautilus plus i like the outfit

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
stamper has been 50-60% of my weapon usage in every season. i played it so much that the gear that i wanted to use on it just came naturally (with some help from sendou ink of course). to the point where i barely know how to decide what gear to use for other weapons. which means i end up using my stamper build on almost all the other weapons i play. it's a good thing the build actually works kinda well on dualie squelchers, squeezer and range blaster and nautilus plus i like the outfit
Kind of the same with my QR build working with Slosher, Slosher Deco, and Dread. I could also do QR for vTri but I really got tired of all the QR builds and I think vTri works better when it's sneaking around and getting surprise kills over taking full on fights with other weapons.

Masked_Katz

Gnarly Eddy's Boyfriend
Switch Friend Code
SW-3907-3792-4200
First, I use sendou.ink to help me out. Sometimes, the most popular/high-level builds are not my style, but they still always let me know what abilities are useful for each weapon as I sprinkle in my own. From there, I make an absolutely fire fit, and then use ability chunks + seed manipulation to get the set I'm looking for.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
Kind of the same with my QR build working with Slosher, Slosher Deco, and Dread. I could also do QR for vTri but I really got tired of all the QR builds and I think vTri works better when it's sneaking around and getting surprise kills over taking full on fights with other weapons.
yeah that makes sense vtri doesn’t have anything it can use to get in unless it takes a ton of time being super noticeable painting for inkjet

also yeah it is really easy to get tired of using qr
sometimes you get games where you go 30-0 and then you’re like yeah i dont need this qr build i wanna have a fun build and then you get destroyed because you play the same qr playstyle and end up going 2-18. but that’s totally just theoretical and never happened to me definitely yeah
yeah

DChachouke

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
she/her and they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6147-2273-1817
I usually kinda just make a prototype using sendou.ink's build analyzer depending on what I think would be neat on it, then I present it to one of my +2 friends that tells me what he thinks of it and then I apply the changes he recommends. Now, to build the actual gear, I make a cool outfit and then just use my ability chunks since I have a bunch of them.
This way, I get fashion AND practicality, something I couldn't get in S2

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i haven't changed my shoes in ages. stealth jump with 1 ink res and 2 quick super jump has been all i needed for movement utility on any weapon i ever play. it's very funny to look through my sendou builds and see this one pair of shoes on nearly everything. maybe someday i'll build an object shredder shoe with the same utilities, probably when i get enough scales to buy the octoling boots from grizz

i tend to then make my shirt movement-based (swim speed, run speed, ninja squid, intensify action, and mixes of those), and my headgear ink-based if i need it (like main saver or special charge up), or comeback or last-ditch effort if i don't. i honestly don't tend to use comeback very often since i play a lot of weapons that i'm generally trying to just survive with, and i just use lde on the rare occasion that i'm playing something that actually has a bomb. the head is also the piece i tend to use if something demands a specific ability (eg. my .96 deco build has a main of special power up on the head)
i try to make sure that between my headgear and my shirt, i have a total of two subs of special saver, because two subs still do a lot and i feel like i'm noticeably getting my special slower if i don't, so i like to have it

generally i try to build gear in a way that lets me interchange them if i ever want to try other weapons, like my vgloogas and dousers both use the same main-saver headgear even though the shirts are built very differently (though tbf my vgloogas build is one of the first i made and i probably want to make a different shirt for it sometime), and my forge pro and .96 deco use the same shirt. categorizing them like this makes it pretty easy for me to do this, and i've been slowly trying to build a good variety over time

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
My method for choosing the abilities I use is usually looking at a combination of sendou.ink popular builds and abilities.

What's more interesting is my particular design for my gear. The third slot on my headgear is always QSJ and the third slot on my shoes is always Ink Res. The third slot on my clothing is always either Sub Defense or Special Saver. If I want more of a given utility, then it'll take up the second slot. Otherwise, the two remaining slots on a given piece of gear will almost always have the same ability.

It ends up being extremely efficient in a similar manner to pure gear, while being only a fraction of the chunk cost.

GiggaPoggers

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
superstar
Switch Friend Code
SW-7556-4937-7869
I use gear seed calculation nonsense, unless its near finished (2/3 is same)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom