• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Down as low as A+ 26...

Whatever the reason for losing/winning streaks, what idiot thought that it sounded like a good idea to use a matchmaking and point system where it's even possible for a player to quickly drop from S 98 to A+ 26 with nearly continuous game losses (that's not due simply to poor skill on the player's part)? And I'm sure others have experienced worse...

Even if I cared nothing about rank, that many losses in a row is not fun. The only reason I keep playing is because I don't want to be lame and give up because of ridiculous losses in an otherwise excellent game.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
And now after dropping to A+ 0 and getting sick of playing I asked my son (who is very good) to play for me and I watched him drop to A and is having trouble winning games, despite dominating in splats (15/4 is not unusual for him) and having a really good game sense. He's playing really well. So much for 'getting better' as a solution or 'tilt' as an explanation. When the game 'wants' you to lose it sure seems like it does whatever it can to make it happen.

E

Encore

Why don't you just take a break / stop for the day when you're having such a losing streak? Continuing only means more losses and frustration - at least I don't know a single person who actually gets out of a losing streak if he's in one.

What I always do if I'm losing like 2-3 matches in a row is telling myself "If I'll lose the next match, I'll stop, if not, I'll continue. Waiting for the next rotation is also an option - I'm not that good on TC for example.

Sorry if this isn't really a big help, you probably have already heard those kind of things many times before. Good luck making it back to your previous rank nonetheless, you can do it!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Nowadays i stop playing if my points drop below a threshold or i lose 3 times in a row. Dropped to S18 today, tempting to try to get back to the S34 i had earlier but i know if i keep playing i'll drop back to A+. Nowadays i'm a lot better at noticing when i start getting tilted, i'll then usually hang around Turf War if i still want to play the game.

A+ and S are really terrible in that regard, it's the point people stop being carried by squads and then realise Solo Queue is a whole different game. So you have this blend of players with different skill levels, meaning the only (strongly) reliable way to win games is to take out at least two enemies at the same time several times thoughout the match and even then that may not be enough. Comps also become more vital as players generally know how to work with them at S level meaning you can get screwed over because the game gave you 3 chargers on your team.
That being said though, if you keep losing 7 times in a row you're doing something wrong, not your team.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Why don't you just take a break / stop for the day when you're having such a losing streak? Continuing only means more losses and frustration - at least I don't know a single person who actually gets out of a losing streak if he's in one.

What I always do if I'm losing like 2-3 matches in a row is telling myself "If I'll lose the next match, I'll stop, if not, I'll continue. Waiting for the next rotation is also an option - I'm not that good on TC for example.

Sorry if this isn't really a big help, you probably have already heard those kind of things many times before. Good luck making it back to your previous rank nonetheless, you can do it!
Thanks for the thought :) I do appreciate it. I've written and expressed my feelings about this a lot on these forums, but to sum it up for you, I think that lengthy losing (and easy winning) streaks are influenced by the matchmaking system. One player can't contribute enough on a team to guarantee a repeated win or loss, even the cream of the crop or the bottom of the barrel players.

In my latest rant, I have been on a losing streak over the past few days, from S 98 to A+ 0. I'm not at my best but I'm still playing well. And my son, who was really enthusiastic about getting me back up and was playing fantastic, lost on my account down to A 30 (he's an S on his main account and an A+ on his alt account where he's learning sniper weapons). It's a bigger problem than us just "taking a break", even if taking a break alleviates the problem somewhat. I sincerely hope the Splatoon developers are bold enough and care enough about their customers to change this.

But, on the other hand, taking a break can be useful. At least we know we're not contributing to the stupidity :)

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
That being said though, if you keep losing 7 times in a row you're doing something wrong, not your team.
Of course we need to be careful our attitudes don't contribute to our losses (i.e. tilt, or any other mindset that might hinder performance), and blaming our teams isn't productive, but I'd have to disagree with you on your quote above.

If the teams were 100% balanced and all the other players played with 100% efficiency, then you'd be totally right—but that never happens. I've played games where it felt like it'd make no difference if I played or not, and in fact I did test that once where I deliberately only went around inking during TC and splatted someone if I came across them but otherwise didn't play the objective and it didn't make any difference to my predicted outcome—at that point the wins/losses were predictably flip-flopping, and so I just stopped playing the objective and the flip-flopping still continued. I could give many examples where repeated losses don't mean the person playing is doing anything wrong, but I'll spare the thread since I've written about it plenty other places.

Joltik

Inkster Jr.
NNID
YellowYoshi13
I recently got dropped to A- ;-; Every time i grind to like A- 70-80 ish, i go on a losing streak. Happened to me earlier Saturday when i got to A- 98 :/

Also, my team never knows how to get on the tower ;-;

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I recently got dropped to A- ;-; Every time i grind to like A- 70-80 ish, i go on a losing streak. Happened to me earlier Saturday when i got to A- 98 :/

Also, my team never knows how to get on the tower ;-;
It seems to not be uncommon for the matchmaking system to put you on a notably weaker team when you get within a game or two of ranking up. It doesn't always happen, but from my experience getting up to S on three different accounts (long story) and reports from other people, it often does.

In fact, I've been struggling getting my account out of A! It seems worse than ever right now. I played a TC game at A 96 where the other team lost a player immediately, so it was a 4v3 and ... we still lost! It was so imbalanced that I (who was at S 98 just a few days ago) couldn't make up for my team even against 3 players.

I'm not meaning to complain about my team, but rather that I'm guessing it matched excellent players who had ranked down a lot (or who created an alt account) against players who had a winning streak and an overly-defensive playstyle, and then put me on the latter team.

Mayul

Inkling
NNID
Mayuls
Dealing with a loss streak?
Oh that's easy, just break your TV and/or controller. It's the simplest way to release the anger and soon after you'll go on a life discovery vision quest trying to figure out where your life went downhill.

But in all seriousness, I just stop playing for an hour or play a less mind destroying game.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I honestly don't even care about my rank anymore, I know I'm S+ material. After reaching it once before, the rank has lost its appeal to me, and playing ranked mode has gotten more fun.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I made it to S for the 2nd time ever. Now I'm relearning the game using motion controls on my alt before I proceed to push for S+... I know it won't be soon. It took over a month for me to get back into S after the first time I lost it, and I first lost it the same night I got there.

I realized that I still had much to improve upon. The environment was simply way too heated for me then.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
@jsilva , it's fascinating hearing the details of just how much the matchmaker hates you to the point that your son, still dominating the field continued to lose. No doubt there's plenty of people here that would tell you "If you really belonged in S+, it would put you there" but some of us know that's not the case.

I've been playing TW exclusively since our prior conversations on the rigged matchmaker in ranked. I'm only 300pts to lv50. I wanted to hit lv50 all in TW as my favorite mode, but I promised myself I'll head back to ranked as my reward for hitting the lv cap. And I'm going to throw away my rank and just play it for fun wherever it puts me (finally) And I just don't have the patience to unlock weapons again in an alt so wherever I go I go.

A few things I've noticed during the time of carefully monitoring ranks (in the plaza) of teams as I play them in TW. First, despite reputations, S+ can either be amazing or "meh." MOST times when I'm thoroughly crushed by a single opponent, it's sure to be an S+. But sometimes it's just an S (probably an S+ that deranked.) Othertimes I'll have 2 S+'s on my team against a pool of S's or even A's. Even B's. And I'll be the best player on my team. We might even lose. And if we win, it was likely me that saw what needed to be done and got it done, while they seemed to have no team cohesion at all. S+'s! There have been S+'s that I've stomped, while a more typical S+ I can't even HIT. Similarly S's are a very mixed bag. There are quite a few that stomp me as bad as or worse than an S+. Then there are quite a few that end up 2/6 while I go 9/0 (and the B's on our team were 0/7.) And our opponents were mostly A- with an A+.

Then due to the abuse of alts (I almost wish Nintendo could prevent them though they can't, but they could have devised the game so that nobody needed an alt to play without damaging their rank, I'll find a lot of "Lv 6, (or C+ rank lv14)" that go 12/3 in a lobby were everyone else, myself included goes 2/5. No dobut that "Lv6" unstoppable killing machine is an alt for probably an S+/clanner.

The pattern I've found with rank is there is no pattern. The rank DOES bunch closer skill brackets together, but, even if I assume I'm an S in the "invisible ranks" for TW (And I think I am, or at least go between A+ & S & S+ TW equivalents) given when I see team parities of S/S+, etc. it's clear the game placed me as "the other S+ (even though it shouldn't have), it's still wildly variable. The ability to carry, and the popularity of alts really breaks the system. You have top bracket skill that's ranked low, and bottom bracket skill ranked high. Play ranked as though the lobbies are TW, because basically, they are.

Also, clans trump ranks. Period. Serious clan skill STARTS where rank skill leaves off, and a lot of clanners play TW only. Their rank is meaningless since they're beyond-top skill players that only play ranked now and again for fun. They will break your match in randoms.

Finally, the losing streaks invade TW too. I can do well in TW. I can dominate in TW. Somtimes i have a fiercely contested match in which I lose, I check the plaza ranks and find that my team had S's on it, sometimes an S+, and the other team were B's & A's, yet they massively, overwhelmingly destroyed us. Sometimes I check and the teams are all of similar ranks. And yet I'll go 20, 30 rounds in a row with very few wins mixed in. And then it picks up and I start winning a bunch after it sorts me to a new lobby. Sometimes on these rounds, like my ranked experience, I have the best k/d in the lobby, sometimes top ink too, and I focused on map strategies that generally will win. There was no super player on the other team. But they won anyway.

I also believe lag plays a role. If you have a laggy player in your lobby, they become nearly invincible, especially if they bunny hop and spam the lag. You will never beat this player because they effectively have a perma-bubbler.

I've also noticed an odd trend when players change teams. I played numerous rounds yesterday with two players, SORA and Skye, Sora with a kelp splatterscope, Skye on inkbrush. They were a devastating duo. The inkbrush was everywhere all the time, no matter where I went I got jumped, and could not get the kill. They both had very high k/d's and made the team ace. I was convinced these two were in a friend lobby and communicating. Eventually SORA left, and suddenly I was splatting Skye and not getting splatted by Skye. In the end I had a positive k/d, Skye did not. We won. Then Skye was on my team. And wasn't really the strong link on my team. I believe it ended with a break-even k/d, while I, again, held positive k/d.

The pattern was clear, SORA was the lynchpin player who was apparently taking out most of the rest of my team repeatedly (but seldom me) That left endless time for Skye to set up in the leftover ink and with the assistance of other teammates remaining to shoot at me, and a sniper to box me in, it was a 2-3v1 game where I was the only target. It didn't matter how well I could perform, I couldn't beat those odds, and Skye didn't have to be an exceptional player to simply zero in on me every time so long as SORA could set up the kills against everyone BUT me. Bottom line, it doesn't matter how good you are, if there is ONE player on the other team who is superior to the other 3 members of your team, even if they are inferior to you, they can simply avoid you and set you up over and over again to be killed by instead getting rid of the rest of your team.

Specific to that situation, SORA has exceptional aim as a sniper, BUT lacks situational awareness in the scope. Flanking was not difficult, but my team couldn't manage it. Thus why I was carefully avoided and left to Skye who focused on me. FWIW, my team had at least one S on it. The pattern is one I've seen before "that amazing player" on the other team, is in fact, not an amazing player. When they're on your team they more often than not become one of your "terrible teammates" Which means they were so great on the other team because the team you had was comparatively terrible, so it was really you v. the other team the whole time.

Ultimately, these problems and losing streaks used to cause me to doubt myself and feel like I just wasn't good enough at the game. It's still frustrating when I get splatted left and right, but not so much the win/lose. My change of heart came last splatfest after I found out in the Splatfest thread that I got the chance to play Zombie Aladdin's sister during the fest. She's a clan member of a pretty good clan apparently, and commented that she was able to chew through my team mates but was only able to splat me once. That's the best thing that could have happened for my Splatoon playing. Confirmation from someone who's confirmed to be very good confirming I was a difficult opponent. Equally good? No, but I don't presume to ever be clan-level at all. But that's the point - if I could present a challenge to a clan player then whatever weird losing streaks happen in the game are not skill related so long as I play to my usual ability. Frustrating as rank losses are, I intend to look solely at my own performance and not to my wins or losses. I will NOT have the prestigious S/S+/even A+ letters next to my name this way, but I'll have more fun playing.

The losing streaks are real, and they apply to TW too (and I'm sure for the same reasons if it has an "invisible" rank as it seems to for TW.) It's not that you CAN'T win them, it's just that you probably can't.

Also, Judd is a filthy little liar.

Onward to C-! I feel like playing inkbrush in splat zones. :p

Dealing with a loss streak?
Oh that's easy, just break your TV and/or controller. It's the simplest way to release the anger and soon after you'll go on a life discovery vision quest trying to figure out where your life went downhill.

But in all seriousness, I just stop playing for an hour or play a less mind destroying game.
Doesn't work. Splatoon broke my gamepad, but my addiction caused me to just go grab my spare and keep playing. :D;)

Last edited:

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
@jsilva , it's fascinating hearing the details of just how much the matchmaker hates you to the point that your son, still dominating the field continued to lose. No doubt there's plenty of people here that would tell you "If you really belonged in S+, it would put you there" but some of us know that's not the case.
I'm sure people read what I write and prefer to believe I undeservedly got to the S 90's multiple times than to accept that the system sucks to such an extent that I will have repeated losses down to the low A's and not be doing something wrong.

I think the reason is that we all want to feel like we win because of our own skill. My experience casts doubt on how good we actually are, and it shows more clearly that it is the matchmaking that is the biggest influence on whether we win or lose.

Right now I hate Splatoon and I only continue playing hoping the matchmaking will fix itself and the game might become fun again. I foolishly thought it was fixing itself last night when I got to A 16 and suddenly started winning. I had consecutive wins up to A+. I stopped because it was late, and I started playing today again and had mostly losses again back down to A 50. I've been matched on the noticeably weaker team for four days resulting in a drop from S 90s to low A, and two days (so far) stuck in the A rank. That's a compete joke. I may or may not be S+ quality but I'm certainly better than being stuck in the A's...

Also, Judd is a filthy little liar.
How is he a liar? :)

Last edited:

Nozzlepops

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nozzles
If I lose 3 times in a row or so, I'll usually leave the room and try to join another one with new people. If I continue to lose even in the new room, I'll try to take a break; but there's always that "one more" mentality. So sometimes I end up losing a lot for that reason, lol.

Award

'm sure people read what I write and prefer to believe I undeservedly got to the S 90's multiple times, or just played better than I normally do, than to accept that the system sucks to such an extent that I will have repeated losses down to the low A's and not be doing something wrong.

I think the reason is that we all want to feel like we win because of our own skill. My experience casts doubt on how good we actually are, and it shows more clearly that it is the matchmaking that is the biggest influence on whether we win or lose.

Right now I hate Splatoon and I only continue playing hoping the matchmaking will fix itself and the game might become fun again. I foolishly thought it was fixing itself last night when I got to A 16 and suddenly started winning. I had consecutive wins up to A+. I stopped because it was late, and I started playing today again and had mostly losses again back down to A 50. I've been matched on the noticeably weaker team for four days resulting in a drop from S 90s to low A, and two days (so far) stuck in the A rank. That's a compete joke. I may or may not be S+ quality but I'm certainly better than being stuck in the A's...
I think people apply 1 player game logic to the whole thing. As it's a team game it needs true team cohesion to work. Whichever team is working better as a team is simply going to win, hands down, no exceptions. The whole "you just need to do better" and "you need to figure out what the team needs and do it" advice is a little half hearted since no one has any more ability to do that than anyone else. If the difference is close matches, then, yeah, you can try to cover for teammates somewhat, but if it's shutouts, that's not going to work. The rest of the team is bad enough that you can't save them. They're not even necessarily bad players in all cases, but they're bad at working as a team, and while they may be great at aiming and shooting, they may not focus on the real objective and accept that a good k/d isn't always ideal. I'll often use myself as bait/sacrifice myself for a trade against a high priority target. Taking me AND the enemy ace out should give my team the time to advance. But not all teams get that memo. TW in warehouse yesterday, pretty tough match, tough enemies, they had us spawncamped and we actually pushed back and made it back to mid. I went out and got a triple kill (twice no less) sacrificing myself to take out #3, I watched the map waiting for my team to press forward, but they were too afraid to and didn't know they had only one opponent. They didn't move. These guys weren't bad players. They weren't getting relentlessly splatted by rushing headlong into danger like most of my teammates. They were vital in overturning the spawncamp. Most of them were in the A's & S's. But they are unaware of the map, what's going on around them, and how to play key sections. I can't fix that. Nobody on the other team outskilled me - they were tough, but I could take any of them. But I couldn't do it all myself with an ok team that didn't understand their situation.

When people say "it puts you where it should be" and "you can make it to the appropriate skill for you" etc, I think they're forgetting that your own performance is only 25% of the result. You can't "git good" and fix it if you're already playing exceedingly well but your team can't balance out the other 75%. And you feel this more when you play weapons like eliter - if your team lets you down, you're going to get flanked, and it's almost impossible to recover. No charger can take 3 squids at once. Hydra can manage that. Eliter can not. Especially when the enemy is intentionally taunting/tricking, hopping back and forth, faking advances, spinning a roller in circles so you don't know which to aim for and end up getting it wrong. Which they can only do if you're the only enemy they're worried about.

The other group of people are the ones that are clan-good - the ones for whom "S+" is really too low a rank and they belong in something higher. The squids who can individually dominate any S+ match with double digit kills. Their viewpoint is that you make it to the top by dominating and getting THAT good. But it negates the fact that if everybody at that top were that kind of skill, no one would dominate.

It goes with the same kind of logic I have with eliter. More than any other weapon, eliter is dependent on your team. It's not "weak" on its own of course, but it has a certain expectation that that team has your back either through directly defending it, or hopefully through a solid front offensive line. When I start doing badly I start thinking I'm missing too many shots, I'm screwing up. It took a long time to accept that it wasn't me, it was that I didn't actually have a team because they keep getting themselves splatted, so when all pressure is squarely on me, of course I"m going to end up going 2/5. When I have to laugh though is when it fell apart so bad, I went 2/5, then I look at my team and see 0/7s. I feel a little better knowing I'm the only one who really played at ALL, so it wasn't me who lost it.

I've posted in the salt thread some of my team matchups from TW. My favorite being S+, S+, S, S against me, a B-, a C something, and an unranked. That's the same kind of logic that goes on in ranked too, no doubt. Yesterday was BRUTAL. For some reason I was just losing, losing, losing all day. I could suck with eliter, get flanked, and lose. I could dominate with carbon or go into double digit kills with hydra, hold my ground, still lose. Enemies seemed 2x tougher than most for most matches. And then it lets up and is fine. That seems to happen sometimes where some days are simply bad, and others are the opposite. I feel I'm playing consistently with my mains, but the matches are just unbalanced. matches where the enemy is in our base in 30-40 seconds, specials charged and simply dominating from the start. Those are not well matched teams.

I'm at the point that all I'm interested in is my own 1 player performance. If I'M getting splatted relentlessly I get furious at the overpowered opponents, or furious at my own performance. If I'm playing well and my team is sucking, oh well. I don't get mad at that anymore. Heck I've had a lot of rounds, mostly with JP players where it felt like we played well, and just lost (again and again) it's still fun really. I just hate when it's so bad I'M getting splatted so much.

I just think, naysayers of "it's just the rank you deserved!" aside, we have to accept ranked for what it is and stop taking the letter seriously. It's NOT a progressive ladder, and it doesn't indicate your actual player skill. If that's what's important, then joining a clan where there's real tournament ladders is probably a better (and more fun, if you have the time/schedule for it) way to go. If the team loses there, it's because the team lost, not because of weird mismatches. I don't like scheduled play time so I don't do clans anymore, but they can be pretty neat having a real team of known players where everyone knows each others role. As I understand it, clanners aren't too fond of random ranked either, it's kind of a pale immitation of the real deal. Most don't play it much. Most clanners I find are low ranked, B's, A's, sometimes C's. They outplay most S+'s though, particularly in the teamwork element. I got to accidentally participate in a few clan practices the other day (must have been a friend lobby for their practice, there were 4-5 of them in there), and they were GREAT to play with. Brutal. But it was a great game.

Bad matchmaking system aside, a sliding ladder system rather than a progressive ladder will never really indicate skills, especially one that never resets. And once I found out about squads carrying people, my faith in the system went out the window. Why are squads ranked at all?? They shouldn't be, that's idiotic. That broke the whole thing right there once the pools were polluted. And the ladders ought to be reset. Often.

So as I see it now, the problem is in how we view ranks. It's not a letter of achievement. It never was, and never will be. It's just a sorting system for the other 3 game modes. Nothing more. It could have been better, but it's not, so it is what it is.

TW is for a general mismash of crazy play. Ranked is for slightly better filtered gameplay with different modes. Private squads/clans is where the real action is if you want serious competition. This thread has me half tempted to organize creating some of us into an actual SQB Clan but the trouble is I just can't be bothered with scheduled events - I did that long ago and don't want to reduce my gaming to that again, so we'd have to agree to a when/if one of us is online at the moment type of system, no voice comm, etc.. It wouldn't be too competitive with the serious clans with mandatory scheduled practices and such. It'd just be a slightly more organized "Randoms among Suidboards goers" where we'd all know each others' general roles rather than "RAAAAAHGGGHHH KIIILLLL!!!" randoms. :D

How is he a liar? :)
First, he's a cat. Cats are all little liars. Even if they can't talk, they TELL you what they want you to think. I had an owner cat once. I know these things :p The moment they said a cat was going to be the judge, I knew the game was rigged right then and there. :p

Seriously, though, not for the ranked modes since they have very specific objective countdowns, but there's so many times in TW that you can't tell me that team B had more ink than team A, it's just not possible, Judd is lying! While I'm sure it's numerically a win on the other side, the ink tallies for some reason just get weird sometimes. It's almost as though it somehow counts for more adding to an existing patch of your ink than carving a line into enemy ink.

Also he's in the bag for Callie, or Marie ticked him off one too many times, so he makes Callie win every Splatfest. You just KNOW she sits there with a can of Tuna under that pink dress of hers. She buys the judge! :mad: ;)

Award

If I lose 3 times in a row or so, I'll usually leave the room and try to join another one with new people. If I continue to lose even in the new room, I'll try to take a break; but there's always that "one more" mentality. So sometimes I end up losing a lot for that reason, lol.
Just using my recent TW issues, I've found the "problem" (the systematic one, not the personal one) happens between map rotations. I can do very well, then the maps change. And suddenly the competition level is *BRUTAL*. And lopsided. I find during this time I can continuously change lobbies. I'll just 7, 10, 12 different lobbies, and the same situation keeps happening. And then suddenly it just magically gets "better." Sometimes it gets "better" (or "worse") on a weapon change. It's not me wielding the weapon better or worse. I've become pretty consistent with all my mains on all maps in TW (except Port Mackerel. Oh how I hate that map!) It's that it starts sorting me differently based on weapon choice. It DOES filter weapons, I think. But it does so weirdly, often pairing it with itself rather than differently. I'll find with one weapon it makes me wait every time between lobbies, then with a different weapon, I'll go right in, for example. Yesterday was getting brutal for example with eliter and carbon. Then I switched to Hydra and it was suddenly much easier. I wasn't doing better" the enemies it as giving me were suddenly far more predictable and moved more simplistically. Other times it's hydra that's the one it makes difficult.

Weapon choice may very well factory in. @jsilva maybe next time you're in a losing streak, change to a weapon you seldom use, but know you can be skilled with. See if the system sorts you differently?

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I think people apply 1 player game logic to the whole thing. As it's a team game it needs true team cohesion to work. Whichever team is working better as a team is simply going to win, hands down, no exceptions.
Absolutely. Well, except for 'luck'. I've had games where the weaker team (mine or the other) had a lucky stream of splats or specials which enabled them to get a game winning push.

...we have to accept ranked for what it is and stop taking the letter seriously. It's NOT a progressive ladder, and it doesn't indicate your actual player skill.
I understand what you're saying, but I'd say that lower ranks don't usually play as well as higher. There's generally a difference even between A and A+. That's the most frustrating part of going down in rank for me—the gameplay is usually more awkward and slow, I'm not even sure how to handle it! Of course there are some excellent players lower in rank (alt account or losing streaks), and they are usually on the other team in my ridiculous losing streaks.

This thread has me half tempted to organize creating some of us into an actual SQB Clan but the trouble is I just can't be bothered with scheduled events
If you're interested in playing squad with me that might be good. Send me a 'conversation' with your NNID and I'll friend you. Squad has by far been the most enjoyable play for me the few times I've done it. Not worrying about losing rank as an S makes the game a lot more fun :) I keep my main account at S. If I get my fun account up to S+ I'll start playing on my main account more often.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Weapon choice may very well factory in. @jsilva maybe next time you're in a losing streak, change to a weapon you seldom use, but know you can be skilled with. See if the system sorts you differently?
I do alternate between the Luna Blaster Neo and the Octoshot/Tentatek in losing streaks. During this last ridiculous losing streak I started using the 52 Gal which I've really enjoyed and took to it really quickly. Made no difference though :)

Award

I understand what you're saying, but I'd say that lower ranks don't usually play as well as higher. There's generally a difference even between A and A+. That's the most frustrating part of going down in rank for me—the gameplay is usually more awkward and slow, I'm not even sure how to handle it! Of course there are some excellent players lower in rank (alt account or losing streaks), and they are usually on the other team in my ridiculous losing streaks.
I used to think there was a difference between A and A+, but, no, not from my all TW perspective. Often times I'll have A+'s on my team and the A's, even B's on the other team are definitely better players. Often times I'll find the one that was the most trouble on the other team was the B+ or the A-, while the A & A+ simply stunk. Usually the S+ can be counted on as extreme....often the S's too. But not always. Of course the trouble in TW is when it assigns me that way, even though I don't feel I play at an S+ level, I seem to be the only one on my team that can give the S+'s pause and or keep them pinned down for a length of time. If I don't get to them first and/or trade with them, they WILL liquidate my team. The S's OFTEN will give me tons of trouble, sometimes worse than the S+'s, but sometimes they're simply average-good. But what often surprises me is when some players were SERIOUSLY trouble, and I find out they were B+, A-, ,or A. Whether they seriously deranked like you, or what, I don't know, but the idea is, there seems to be a lot of these... There's also a lot of alts these days mucking the waters more. These people, in ranked will seriously mess with the team building. But, yes, the different ranks will generally have SOME better filtering than TW, which is the only real joy of playing ranked, slightly more similar play skill, but only slightly. It would be error to think of ranked as truly bracketed, just a little more granular than TW while zoning out the majority of the good/bad at least into two or three "divisions." But I can see what you're saying. Presuming similar ranks invisibly in TW, I find it jarring when I go from the hypersonic matches to tamer ones. I'm not even a fan of the hypersonic ones too much, but once you get into them it's hard to step down...I tend to get bored and my mind wanders :p

If you're interested in playing squad with me that might be good. Send me a 'conversation' with your NNID and I'll friend you. Squad has by far been the most enjoyable play for me the few times I've done it. Not worrying about losing rank as an S makes the game a lot more fun :) I keep my main account at S. If I get my fun account up to S+ I'll start playing on my main account more often.
I have to get back into the ranked mindset a little more, otherwise I'll be truly dead weight! I don't think I've touched ranked since the beginning of January, and I haven't even SEEN the two new maps in any ranked mode yet short of recon :scared: And I do suspect you play at a higher level than I, but at least I play the objective, have a concept of defense and front line, and don't play like it's Call of Doggy! Also, I don't treat the tower like it's covered in toxic waste. ;)

I do alternate between the Luna Blaster Neo and the Octoshot/Tentatek in losing streaks. During this last ridiculous losing streak I started using the 52 Gal which I've really enjoyed and took to it really quickly. Made no difference though :)
Ahh, there goes that then! Maybe it's weapon class. Today was a similar thing. For the past few weeks I've been generally OWNING withCHydra...it's kind of annoying because I consider my true mains CEliter and Carbon. I want to be good with CHydra but it's my "third main" so it annoyed me a little that it was my best weapon. But today I dominated with Carbon - then did ok with carbon. Then pulled out Hydra....and was sucking so horribly. Then switch to Eliter and did "very well" again. It wasn't me, IMO, I wasn't feeling like my playing was off, rather I always had all 3 of the enemy on me at all times no matter which lobby I was in. The weapon definitely does seem to play a role in your team building, even if it's just sorting based on who's on right now. Go crazy, try a Heavy. Or Squiffer. Something in a weird class...it might give you servicible lobbies. :)

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I used to think there was a difference between A and A+, but, no, not from my all TW perspective.
I rarely ever play TW so I can't say anything about that, but the main difference I see in ranked has to do with game sense. By about the B range you'll find players who can splat extremely well but the games feel inefficient. It's hard to describe. I could give many examples but I'd write too long.

And I do suspect you play at a higher level than I, but at least I play the objective, have a concept of defense and front line, and don't play like it's Call of Doggy! Also, I don't treat the tower like it's covered in toxic waste. ;)
Doesn't matter to me :) As long as I play with an account that's at S I don't mind losing, if indeed we lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom