• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

Cephalopun

Inkster Jr.
I definitely need some work on taking a string of losses. I don't really get salty and blame others, but I blame myself to a fault and start convincing myself that I'm terrible. I'm still trying my hardest to improve so it gets pretty disheartening when I keep making the same mistakes even when I'm aware of them.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
If you'd like to play squad with me let me know when you'll be on and I'll be on then. I'll use the Tentatek rather than the Luna Blaster for some variety.

I've been having some ridiculous and predictably repeating losing streaks on my 'fun' account for the past few weeks. Not so fun, as you said :) Though today was overall pretty fun. I've been getting a lot better at the Luna Blaster recently so I feel good about that. I'll be doing rainmaker later today, hoping I don't keep plummeting...

Yesterday I was playing and there was an S+ named 'pαm' who used the Octobrush and was fabulous. She kicked my butt in the first game but I was getting the better of her in the next, but then she was on my team for the next few games and my team was excellent. Then she disappeared and I was bugged because my teams were no longer very excellent after that...
I don't blame ya. If you're willing to share NNIDs, that's be great. Maybe we could practice together sometime!
Well I'm taking a few days off, but I'll tell you when I pick myself back up. We can invite Sora Blue too, almost a full team.

Uhh I can see your NNID next to your profile icon- Steam2468. Mine's in the same place, it's Isan-Sarinasu. I'll host the match and you guys can join the room I'll make. I'll start a conversation for the three of us so we can exchange emails, so we can plan like a day or two in advance.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I definitely need some work on taking a string of losses. I don't really get salty and blame others, but I blame myself to a fault and start convincing myself that I'm terrible. I'm still trying my hardest to improve so it gets pretty disheartening when I keep making the same mistakes even when I'm aware of them.
It can sometimes be your fault, but certainly not all the time like everyone wants to make it out to be. Sure, if you're attitude sucks, you will too; But with how wonky the matchmaking is, there's no helping it. Some days will be great, and others will suck.

I'd say that you should just pick yourself up and don't worry about it, but I'm too busy doing the opposite.

Also, don't blame yourself. That's the worst thing to do in just about any competitive situation. It just makes you want to give up.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well since i've been in a losing streak recently, i thought i might come here again.
So after not playing splatoon for 2 weeks, obviously i wasn't expecting to win matches, but relearning my strategies would be easy?....Nah that'd be too simple xD

I got thrown into Pirahna Pit Splatzone's for the first time. Since it wasn't on turf, i was forced to try A+ rank Pirahna pit and optionally with the Sloshing Machine Neo. I'm not sure about how my team went, but all's i know is that we got beaten to a pulp, 3 Knock outs in a row weren't good for my rank, but personally I think i got to A+ and S by pure luck from great team members.

So i dropped into A rank, And I really see the skill difference. B+ tend to shoot a bit more inaccurately compared to A+ giving me more "reaction" time. Then i face these Smurf level 19 A- ranks tearing me apart with the Octobrush.

Never done any squad battles, and i don't think i'd want to either. I'm a bit of a selfish player that just does what i want to. So it's more of a "Deal with my strategy. And i'll learn your strategy some day" with teammates. Though that doesn't mean i don't listen to advice or commands. It's just i want to do what i think is best. But maybe that's why i'm in A rank and others are in A+ to S+ ranks xD

Oh yeah, on the subject of balanced teams. I remember getting total'd by an all Tentatek/Octoshot team when i underestimated them. Specifically when i underestimated them xD And our team was pretty well rounded as far as i can remember.

Since i'm unable to play Splatoon daily and only weekly, i'm a bit skeptical of whether i'll be dropping into A- or making it back to A+, Whichever it is, preferably, i don't want to go to B+ again xD
You can still do your own thing in Squad battles, with your "solo" style. It just means that you'll have a consistent team that you can get to know and understand better, upping your chances. I'm going to give it a shot.

Sora Blue

Inkling
NNID
Steam2468
Well I'm taking a few days off, but I'll tell you when I pick myself back up. We can invite Sora Blue too, almost a full team.

Uhh I can see your NNID next to your profile icon- Steam2468. Mine's in the same place, it's Isan-Sarinasu. I'll host the match and you guys can join the room I'll make. I'll start a conversation for the three of us so we can exchange emails, so we can plan like a day or two in advance.
You're right, thank you. I'm pretty new to SquidBoards, so I have a lot to learn. I will send you a request soon. Thank you!

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
You're right, thank you. I'm pretty new to SquidBoards, so I have a lot to learn. I will send you a request soon. Thank you!
I'll make a friend request to you also. I'll be doing it from both of my accounts, so you know.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
My interwebs is officially fiexed!!!!! Now everyone's day of reckoning has come.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I am really tired of the matchmaking and point system right now.

Besides falling from about S 60 down to low S during tower control this morning, I played again tonight only to go down to A+ 50-something. Edit: took out some moaning and complaining lest I be misunderstood.

I wish the Splatoon developers would get their act together. This isn't fun when this happens. It makes the easy wins not fun. And it makes the very occasional good and fair game not fun too. I do all I can, including a genuine reassessment of my playing and really upped my gameplay tonight, but it makes no difference at all. When the game 'wants' me to lose I lose.

Last edited:

Alpha359

Full Squid
NNID
voyagersonic
lol I can relate to this, I'd say once every couple of weeks I always lose my S-Rank and then go down to A+ and then get my S rank back within a day or two. It really does suck when I'm not in the zone as I have to confine myself to Regular Battle mode to save my rank because I know that if I do go into ranked I'll lose my S rank.

Other days when I'm really in the zone I win games like crazy and suddenly go up into the high S range. In general I think that for the higher ranks (everything from and including A-) that it shouldn't be so easy to ascend and descend as for me personally my play-style is highly irregular- some days I'm on top of the world and other days the game just 'wants me to lose' as you put it.

That's just me personally, I see other players such as 'ThatSrb2Dude' who are always in the mid to high S+ range, I guess for them it isn't such a big problem.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
lol I can relate to this, I'd say once every couple of weeks I always lose my S-Rank and then go down to A+ and then get my S rank back within a day or two. It really does suck when I'm not in the zone as I have to confine myself to Regular Battle mode to save my rank because I know that if I do go into ranked I'll lose my S rank.

Other days when I'm really in the zone I win games like crazy and suddenly go up into the high S range. In general I think that for the higher ranks (everything from and including A-) that it shouldn't be so easy to ascend and descend as for me personally my play-style is highly irregular- some days I'm on top of the world and other days the game just 'wants me to lose' as you put it.

That's just me personally, I see other players such as 'ThatSrb2Dude' who are always in the mid to high S+ range, I guess for them it isn't such a big problem.
Uhhhh.... There is no S- rank. I mean it looks like it was just a typo, but...

jsilva

Inkling Cadet

There's definitely something to be said about irregular play. Honestly, I wasn't playing my best when I dropped to low S, and also when I started playing later that night (I was getting splatted too much in every game). That's when I reassessed what I was doing and really improved in that area.

But even still, I wasn't playing badly enough that I was ruining it for my team 12+ games in a row. As I've said too many times, there's something else going on. I wish I were as good as other players who are good enough leaders to make up for really weak teams.

I do have two accounts and I keep the other one at S all the time, so I shouldn't feel too bad... :)

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I continued playing today and the losing streak continued down to A 48! I even had one game where we were clearly the much stronger team and were dominating and then I had an 'error'—not a disconnection—and the game stopped (for me) and I lost 6 points.

And then suddenly, at A 48, it was like a switch was flipped and I won every game except two all the way back up to S.

Ridiculous...

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Unbelievable ... right back down to A+ 18, and who knows how Iow it'll take me.

The matching system is total crap. It seems any hope is lost that the Splatoon developers will wise up, whether it be to improve a crappy matching system or to stop having a system that influences these things on purpose.

It's just ridiculous. Everyday that goes by I like this game less and less...

Last edited:

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Unbelievable ... right back down to A+ 18, and who knows how Iow it'll take me.

The matching system is total crap. It seems any hope is lost that the Splatoon developers will wise up, whether it be to improve a crappy matching system or to stop having a system that influences these things on purpose.

It's just ridiculous. Everyday that goes by I like this game less and less...
Jeez dude, sounds like you need some squad battles

Legacy

Inkster Jr.
It depends. 4 losses or more and I stop playing completely. I take a few minutes or an hour to clear my mind and try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom