How do you think Grand Fest will affect Splatoon 4?

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
I know this is a topic that we've already been discussing about in other posts/threads but I wanted to have a thread specifically for discussing the future of Splatoon 4 and what impact team past winning might end up having.

Personally, I think there's three things that are the most likely to end up happening.
  • The theming is focused on an older era in the world of Splatoon but it doesn't actually take place in the past
  • The story mode will connect back to the previous conflict between Inklings and Octarians
  • A lot of the older specials that weren't brought back in S3 will be reworked for S4
I don't think any of these are mutually exclusive and the last one might have happened regardless of which team won but these are what I think have the highest chance of happening in S4.

Cephalobro

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
While many others are saying they will go back to the Inklings vs Octarians era, I think differently.

I believe that the game will go back to the era in which Inklings and Octarians weren't in conflict, because there was in fact a time period of that before the Great Turf War.

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
i've been saying this but i will die on the hill that the winning theme was never going to impact the literal time period splatoon 4 will be set in because, like, why would the options be "game set in the past!! cool!!!"/"another game in the 'present' of the series. whatever"/"game set in the future!! cool!!!"? if i'm proven wrong i will sit and stare into space trying to think of what the plans could possibly have been for a present win

i think it's largely going to be aesthetics but i can see the story mode having a theme of remembering/honoring the past. what that could look like is way up in the air, especially because if splatoon 3 was meant to be the end of the NSBS trilogy, we should really be seeing future story modes as a blank slate

way back when the grandfest theme was announced i had a loose idea that if team past won, we'd get a story mode centered around Squid Archaeology, but i shot that down for the same reason i don't think the next game will literally be set in the past, relative to the first three games - there wasn't really any team present equivalent i could think of, and i really don't think the options were meant to be "cool new thing!"/"same ol'"/"cool new thing!"

SAMICOM

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-1519-4190-1330
I know this is a topic that we've already been discussing about in other posts/threads but I wanted to have a thread specifically for discussing the future of Splatoon 4 and what impact team past winning might end up having.

Personally, I think there's three things that are the most likely to end up happening.
  • The theming is focused on an older era in the world of Splatoon but it doesn't actually take place in the past
  • The story mode will connect back to the previous conflict between Inklings and Octarians
  • A lot of the older specials that weren't brought back in S3 will be reworked for S4
I don't think any of these are mutually exclusive and the last one might have happened regardless of which team won but these are what I think have the highest chance of happening in S4.
I want the regular online gameplay, but a great turf war story mode

Vidknight

Formerly 'Grekly'
Pronouns
He/Him
I had a theory that the grand fest would impact a Splatoon spinoff game of sorts. if Nintendo wanted to change the time period a spinoff seems like the best option while not messing up the timeline of the main series, While I still think that it is possible I think that there are some other things that are more likely to happen IMO.

The most likely thing to happen is just simply the next game having some sort of past theming like retro clothing and hairstyles (I was thinking a squid mullet it would be so funny).

Another way the results can affect the next game is the story maybe just the message simply being "Don't forget the past!"

I don't see it affecting specials in the game because I highly doubt Nintendo is going to bring back splat 1 bubble or splat 2 ink armor in splat 4. It they do it might just be a heavily reworked version just like how inkstrike was reworked into tri-strike.

Yea that is basically all the ideas I have right now.

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
I had a theory that the grand fest would impact a Splatoon spinoff game of sorts. if Nintendo wanted to change the time period a spinoff seems like the best option while not messing up the timeline of the main series, While I still think that it is possible I think that there are some other things that are more likely to happen IMO.

The most likely thing to happen is just simply the next game having some sort of past theming like retro clothing and hairstyles (I was thinking a squid mullet it would be so funny).
nintendo summoning 10000 lesbians to equip squid mullet in splatoon 4

actually thinking about it the spinoff theory would still track if we assume nintendo didn't have cool things for past & future but just more of the same for present. because then it's like, would this hypothetical spinoff look into splatoon society's past? would it expand more on the present, especially aspects we don't see often? would it look into the future, or a possible future? i also don't think it's likely that's what the grandfest is predicting, but it would legitimately be interesting regardless of who won

Neko :D

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
She/He/They
Switch Friend Code
SW-3356-5161-8137
Hmmm...
Thoughts:
I don't have any at the moment, but that will definitely change within the next day or two, now that I am actually taking time to think about it.
Ideas:
Set in the present, but the theme is centered around the past.

That's all (for now :P)

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
I think Urchin and saltspray might finally get off the Wii U but other then that I am not sure
Maybe we will learn more about those cuttlefish idols?
The last time I've heard anyone mention them was around a year ago, wow.
It would be pretty interesting to see them even if it's just a small appearance.

Hokuto

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/he/ze
Switch Friend Code
SW-5561-7608-9695
I want either squid archaeology in a historic neighborhood or to go back so far in time that we get to meet (Splatoon 3 spoilers) the Prophet.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I don't know how likely a spinoff is to happen, but it's what I want to see most. I don't think it makes sense for Splatoon 4 to be set during the Great Turf War, but it would be perfect to explore in a spinoff.

Unfortunately the biggest obstacle to spinoffs these days is the rising cost of game development. Publishers spend more time and resources making fewer games, so it's hard to make room for li'l side projects. Everything has to be a massive blockbuster now.

This is the real reason why I miss dedicated handhelds.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
What interests me this time around is how deliberate the word choice in all the marketing material leading up to and post Grand Festival has been. We already have confirmation the devs wanted to announce 1's final Splatfest altering the direction of 2's story, but obviously couldn't announce it when Splatoon 2 being in development was a secret. It was also made abundantly clear that 3's overall direction would be determined by the outcome of 2's Final Fest by marketing material and in-game dialogue.

Grand Festival stuff makes no mention of the future of the series at all - not in marketing material or any in-game dialogue. It's a pretty stark contrast and I feel like that plus Splatoon 3 being called "the end of a saga" on at least one occasion makes me think these results won't impact 4's direction very much, if at all. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a slight slant in some small part of 4 regarding the past - I just don't expect it to be an all-encompassing thing like 2 -> 3.

Meow meow

Inkling
I believe the devs have to somehow connect the past with the present. A time-traveling adventure to save the world seems to be good and I hope to see more history and traditions of inkings and octos.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
More ancient ruins would be nice. I do like ancient ruins. And we are in a desert setting, so they'd fit in nicely. Being honest, I do actually wish that they did more with The Crater in RotM, so seeing that sort of aesthetic expanded upon a bit further would make team past's victory much more tolerable.

I also want to keep fighting DJ Octavio; he's the one part of Splatoon that is notably and significantly better in the past. His final boss fight from Splatoon 1 is still the best in the series to this day.

OCTöHEAD

Senior Squid
Pronouns
any
huh a time travel would be nice. I would say it would be cool if the hero mote centered around how they found more historical stuff. but it could be the historical stuff that found THEM :O like an offshoot of octatians/inklings that got separated from the rest and kept living in a more basic society

QuagSass

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
I think an 80s retro style could be a fun aesthetic for whatever they decide to do.
I know OE kinda did that, but it was like a mix of retro and vaporwave iirc. I say go full 80s with the new game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom