• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How hard is it to rank up to S?

Bubbles090

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0343-2296-4815
It isnt really that hard the only difficult part is maintaining your s rank

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
There are many things you can do to improve your rank:

First, play Turf War. Sounds counterproductive, but it's a very nice tool to keep your skills sharp in the lower ranks, where everyone in ranked is a sitting duck. Turf War pairs you with players of all skill levels, so you won't fall into bad habits like sitting and shooting at superjump icons. Of course, you still need to do some ranked, but use Turf War as a palate cleanser.

Second, know thy enemy. When you spawn, the first thing to do is check for any weapons that you'll struggle fighting against. If you know they're there, and you know what they can do, you can more successfully form a plan of attack.

Third, know thyself. You need to know which weapons to be wary of, how to actually use your main, sub and special together, and what your role on the battlefield is.

Fourth, weight the game in your favor. In the lower ranks, everyone's likely to attack the objective directly, so use a weapon that can punish them for doing this. A roller can hide and one-shot them as they go past. Splat bombs can be thrown across the stage, and newbies can't dodge them very well.

Fifth, know when to quit. If you can't assess your situation properly, you have no chance of ranking up, and plenty of chance to rank down. I should know; I went directly from S+5 to S+0 in Rainmaker because I kept playing while tilted. If you find yourself unable to counter the enemy for a few games in a row, just put down the controller and walk away. It'll still be there when you come back later.

Finally, play all of the ranked modes, and use different weapons. Some modes might seem cheap, some weapons might feel useless, but when you stumble on a combination that's fun to play, it increases your skills, knowledge and repertoire. You might even find a strategy that carries over into your favorite mode. For example, I found that to play Inkbrush in Tower Control, I had to control an entire area around the Tower. From there, I could take the same approach to Rainmaker - control the entire area around the Rainmaker, and it makes pushing towards the pedestal much easier.

Wonderswan

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-1405-9660-4423
There are many things you can do to improve your rank:

First, play Turf War. Sounds counterproductive, but it's a very nice tool to keep your skills sharp in the lower ranks, where everyone in ranked is a sitting duck. Turf War pairs you with players of all skill levels, so you won't fall into bad habits like sitting and shooting at superjump icons. Of course, you still need to do some ranked, but use Turf War as a palate cleanser.

Second, know thy enemy. When you spawn, the first thing to do is check for any weapons that you'll struggle fighting against. If you know they're there, and you know what they can do, you can more successfully form a plan of attack.

Third, know thyself. You need to know which weapons to be wary of, how to actually use your main, sub and special together, and what your role on the battlefield is.

Fourth, weight the game in your favor. In the lower ranks, everyone's likely to attack the objective directly, so use a weapon that can punish them for doing this. A roller can hide and one-shot them as they go past. Splat bombs can be thrown across the stage, and newbies can't dodge them very well.

Fifth, know when to quit. If you can't assess your situation properly, you have no chance of ranking up, and plenty of chance to rank down. I should know; I went directly from S+5 to S+0 in Rainmaker because I kept playing while tilted. If you find yourself unable to counter the enemy for a few games in a row, just put down the controller and walk away. It'll still be there when you come back later.

Finally, play all of the ranked modes, and use different weapons. Some modes might seem cheap, some weapons might feel useless, but when you stumble on a combination that's fun to play, it increases your skills, knowledge and repertoire. You might even find a strategy that carries over into your favorite mode. For example, I found that to play Inkbrush in Tower Control, I had to control an entire area around the Tower. From there, I could take the same approach to Rainmaker - control the entire area around the Rainmaker, and it makes pushing towards the pedestal much easier.
Just dropping by to thank you for this good advice

Spoopz

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0778-7448-8093
i've only been upto rank A
im literally never gonna get to rank x rip

One FM

Inkster Jr.
If you are a decent player it should not be much of a grind. It can be a little tricky in the lower ranks due to the quality of the player(s).
You will have to do a little carrying to get there.

You have to increase your overall domination skills. Learn the maps like the back of your hand. There's always room to elevate your evasive maneuvers. Be smart about the battles you choose to engage in. Practice, and keep playing smarter. I recommend watching youtube videos of the higher ranks.

biggeley

Inkling
I think that getting out of B into A is a matter of lurking around at the fringes of the objective and just picking people off who are tunnel visioned on the objective and not paying attention to what's around them.

For me advancing into S+ was getting over tunnel vision. Learning to pay attention to where your team is and where the other team is doing. Noticing whether your team or the opposing team has been splatted and back at spawn or not. Don't push into enemy ink alone. Make sure you have an escape route.

Funny enough, giving up on ranked for a week or two and playing a lot of Salmon run helped me a lot with my tunnel vision. There's a lot going on you need to be aware of and you also need to keep an eye on what your team mates are up to. Also it forces you to play with a whole range of weapons, which makes you to learn new play styles. After getting into Profressional 200+ at that time, I went back to ranked and immediately ranked up from A+ to S+ in all modes.

I think it's also important to be comfortable with various weapons from at least a few different weapons classes. They require you to learn different play styles. You'll discover that certain weapons work better for you on different modes and maps. Also learning different play styles crosses over into how you play with your favorite weapons.

Also frustration.. If you get too frustrated your play just gets worse and worse.. If you get the urge to throw the controller it's time to give it up or switch to salmon run.

One FM

Inkster Jr.
Learn to take out two enemies within the first 20 seconds, and you'll keep moving up.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
once you get the hang of it,.C and B rank it will be a piece of cake to reach A rank :p
though A rank can be a real struggle..for me atm i go back and forth with winning and losing and i really am not doing so bad skill wise x.x
team mates in A rank can either be S rank quality or C rank quality >~>

but the easiest way is to keep a eye on the maps you like and you are good at,if there are maps in a current ranked mode you just suck at then skip it and wait until the next mode :D i discovered that skipping maps i despise makes the game less frustrating BUT matchmaking is not perfect in this game..sooooo do not be to stubborn when on a losing streak lol if only i could follow my own advice about not being stubborn haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom