• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How long did it take you to learn the Motion Controls?

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
It took me one rank down and rank back up so about 20 turf wars and 10 or so Ranked matches

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
2 days to feel functional.
1 week to feel comfortable.
2 weeks to feel optimal.
Still improving...

*Edit*

Had the game two days ago, after playing approximatively 20H and finished the solo mode, I still have problems with the horizontal axis. I don't know if I don't sit down correctly to handle it but it's really difficult for me. I come from PC gaming with mouse and keyboard but it feels different. The vertical axis doesn't cause me any problem. If you have advices, I want them, thanks :)
It's hard to learn, but you need to "steer" the controller like a car's steering wheel, instead of a "turn" like bike handlebars. When my brain understood that, I started doing much better. Imagine a laser pointing out of the very top of your gamepad, aiming that laser aims your camera. If your tilts do not aim that imaginary laser, your camera will not turn the way you wanted it to.

Tyketto86

Inkling
I started using motion controls well after reaching level 20 (before the August update). I want to say I was B- Rank at the time. Now I'm almost A.

If you haven't made the switch, DO IT! You wont regret it (and it wont take long to adjust).

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
I started using them since the First Testfire. I use it with the sticks. It took me the Testfire to really get used to it. After that I couldn't switch to sticks.
Using Gyro feels as precise as a mouse and keyboard for say.. CS:GO. it just works for me.

Glass Eater

Pro Squid
I started using them right away. I got used to them in two days. Start early I say, and you won't regret it.

You can say I've never played with the stick.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
I started using them from the very beginning. I'm not very good at video games, so it may have taken me a bit longer to get used to them, but I don't really notice it. The only thing I'm sure of is it took less than a week to grow accustomed to them, and I wasn't playing for very long on any particular day. Getting used to them may be a little different for people who instantly turned them off, but I'm sure it's easy enough to get the hang of them unless you literally flail your hands around every time you play.

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
I started out with them, so it didn't take too long to adapt because I've never used anything else. It helps that the motions required are actually very subtle, and sensitivity can be adjusted, I personally play on -4

The 2-stick method is so out-dated for shooters now #MotionControlsForLIve

XenoPixel

Senior Squid
NNID
XenoPixel
I started using motion controls a little bit after I got to level 20. I absolutely despised them during the testfire but I decided to try them again. Something clicked and I've been using them ever since

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I played the test fire with motion controls, then switched to stick when the game came out. Play stick for a few days then permanently switched to motion. Took me a day or two of beating single player to feel comfortable, although I still think I have room for improvement.

zeph-the-blue

Inkling
NNID
runnymede
I actually refused to use them until I got my Amiibo... after turning them on for the Charger challenges and doing them all with it, I couldn't go back XD

Motion controls feel best learned with a charger, since it forces precision.
pretty much this.

I was real curious about learning the chargers, so I tried motion controls. and then I discovered that you can still use the stick to aim horizontally. since then, I am unable to return to dual stick.

I think I was around lvl 18 and B-. the switch really made the difference in ranked for me.

Magix

Inkster Jr.
I've played with motion controls since the release. At first it was very clumsy, and the fact that I used the roller while leveling didn't give me much practice at aiming. The issue I had when playing with shooter weapons was that I used the motion and the stick for the same kind of turning while aiming. They ended up working against each other, so to say. Then I switched the camera sensitivity from 0 to +5, and to my surprise, my aim had improved a lot within just a few games, simply because motion turning and stick turning were no longer competing against each other, but instead had their own separate uses. This little change made motion controls suddenly feel incredibly natural for me.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I started with them when I played the first testfire. I'm still learning them.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
While I've only played the Testfire this past weekend, I never turned them off. I've always played with motion steering in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 8 (but not Mario Kart 7 as I always play that in 3D), and I have the Shake Smash turned on by default in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. (Yes, I play exclusively with the Nunchuk scheme, though I use the Wii U GamePad in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.)

Motion controls come pretty naturally for me. I noticed people tend to not really understand them much, considering the enormous trouble people have with Fluzzard in Super Mario Galaxy 2. When I see people try to use the Wii Wheel for the Mario Kart games, I see them swinging the Wii Wheel left and right in a wide arc--not as a steering wheel or handlebars, but something closer to a ship's wheel. I never understood why people keep doing that, since there's no logic there, except perhaps as a passive-aggressive means of giving them traditional controls.

Should I actually get the full game, I will also play using motion controls exclusively. Over time, it's become my "natural." I'd imagine the way some gamers struggle with motion controls, I now struggle with traditional controls.

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
I would honestly argue that when coming naturally, gyroscope controls is the next best thing to keyboard and mouse when it comes to shooters. And that this game has possibly the best implementation of complex motion control any game has ever had. So this is all going to say that I having not much background in shooters in general, learned gyroscope controls when I started the game and absolutely love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom