How many of us have made it in to A+ Rank in Splatzones?

Sigakure

Inkster Jr.
NNID
martinengo
I've seen chargers carry when the map rotation is like Saltspray and the mall. If you get into the mindset that you lose because of luck then you will never improve.
As I said, I'm playing good-decently, I'm not a pro, but I'm always going with the mentality of winning, the thing is I cannot cover one-two zones and kill 4 players by myself.

Luck is a factor right now, and that's simply a fact. This is a game suppose to be organized, everyone asumming a role, and having a plan for every situation, this is not possible right now.

Sigakure

Inkster Jr.
NNID
martinengo
That's the thing, tho'. For me at least, it feels like I'm carrying one too many games. This is a team game about capturing zones, not about babysitting teammates who can't think past Plan A - Rush The Point Or Bust. I know people who average way more kills than me total, and they still manage to lose because no one took advantage of the situation.

Sure, it's well within my ability to win if I give it my all, but in a team game, I shouldn't be giving it my all for a four player team that feels like it only has one valuable player. This isn't every match (I'm not even that great) but it's enough of them to be annoying. I can't wait until they implement parties...
This is exactly what I mean, and of course, it doesn't always happen, but as you said, it's enough to be annoying. I can't way either, that will improve the game by far, because this is a team game mode, not an individual game mode.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
That's the thing, tho'. For me at least, it feels like I'm carrying one too many games. This is a team game about capturing zones, not about babysitting teammates who can't think past Plan A - Rush The Point Or Bust. I know people who average way more kills than me total, and they still manage to lose because no one took advantage of the situation.

Sure, it's well within my ability to win if I give it my all, but in a team game, I shouldn't be giving it my all for a four player team that feels like it only has one valuable player. This isn't every match (I'm not even that great) but it's enough of them to be annoying. I can't wait until they implement parties...
Actually solo queue is precisely about carrying your teammates. If you want to work with a competent team every time that can carry you then wait for ranked parties.
As I said, I'm playing good, and I'm always going with the mentality of winning, but I cannot cover two zones and kill 4 players by myself.

Luck is a factor right now, and that's simply a fact.
Luck is a factor of course, sometimes there will be teams that you cannot carry. But that is the minority of the time, not the majority. You make it seem like a bigger deal than it actually is. You sound like the people that are Bronze in league always complaining about their teammates, no offense. How do you get out of Bronze in league? Not by having good teammates but by carrying.

Sigakure

Inkster Jr.
NNID
martinengo
Actually solo queue is precisely about carrying your teammates. If you want to work with a competent team every time that can carry you then wait for ranked parties.

Luck is a factor of course, sometimes there will be teams that you cannot carry. But that is the minority of the time, not the majority. You make it seem like a bigger deal than it actually is.
That's the thing, it's not always the minority of the time, sometimes is, sometimes is not. Sometimes I win 4-7 matches in a row, like sometimes I lose 4 matches in a row, sometimes my team is so bad, we cannot even control one zone at all, like sometimes the matches are very intense (which I love). There is characters rotations, but it's not efficient. The weapon set every team member carry is important as well, it's not only that sometimes you got bad players in your team, but sometimes is about the weapons everyone is carrying.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
A video of what the games are like in A+
not bad

looks a lot like the room I was in on day 1 w/ a heap of (at the time) B-rank japanese players lol

one day my aim will be what it used to be and I will be able to use long range weapons

That's the thing, it's not always the minority of the time, sometimes is, sometimes is not. Sometimes I win 4-7 matches in a row, like sometimes I lose 4 matches in a row, because there is characters rotations, but it's not efficient. The weapon set every team member carry is important as well, it's not only that sometimes you got bad players in your team, but sometimes is about the weapons everyone is carrying.
if you can't carry C-rank, you aren't B-rank level. if you can't carry B-rank, you aren't A-rank level. if your being on a team is not enough to sway the result in your favour most of the time, you're right where you ought to be. teammate luck is a factor, and you're part of it.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
The fact that this is solo queue would mean something if there was another option for ranked matches, but there isn't. I know very well that I can wait for parties and I am - I haven't been playing ranked all that often, I play like an hour or so and stop, and I'm only B- as of this post. Solo queue is generally in a game that already has the option to pair up in some way with friends, and even then, it doesn't change the wildcard nature of the teammates you get. And carry does not mean "win as if tho' you have no players on your team" - it's one thing to lead a team of people that maybe can't get kills or is pinned down or something. It's an entirely different thing to carry people who don't learn from their mistakes or can't play well enough to even be considering ranking up.

I won't pretend that I can't just wait until August, or just play Turf War and ignore Ranked in general. But no one can pretend that bad players aren't a detriment to a team, and honestly, I've seen more bad players than I have good. And I've had it easy from what I hear compared to most other people playing rank. I've yet to have a team where, if I did well, they didn't also do well. I don't mind losing if I'm looking at a score of like 3/7 on my name. But if I'm getting double/triple splats or taking out snipers, I expect my team to capitalize. I can't fulfill every role on the team all within the same moment. And that's with me winning. Like I said there are people who do way better than me solo and are still losing. A friend told me he had 20 charger kills today - that's his role - and he still lost.

There's only so much carrying you can do before your only option is putting down your pad and praying to a deity for divine intervention.

Sigakure

Inkster Jr.
NNID
martinengo
That's the thing, it's not always the minority of the time, sometimes is, sometimes is not. Sometimes I win 4-7 matches in a row, like sometimes I lose 4 matches in a row, sometimes my team is so bad, we cannot even control one zone at all, like sometimes the matches are very intense (which I love). There is characters rotations, but it's not efficient. The weapon set every team member carry is important as well, it's not only that sometimes you got bad players in your team, but sometimes is about the weapons everyone is carrying.
I'm B- right now, I was B+ yesterday, how can everything depend on me in a team game?, I cannot assume all the papers. I always try to do my part, I kill people, I cover zones, I recover zones, and I understand when I need to got to an especific zone, when I should stay in the other zone, etc, but if my teammates don't take advantage of the situation, I cannot do it all by myself. Again, this doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes happens a lot, like sometimes doesn't.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
The victim mentality is easy to adapt, as it shifts the blame elsewhere.

There is always something you could have done better.

Until you are playing flawlessly(note: this is impossible, you can always improve), you have no right to blame your teammates.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
The fact that this is solo queue would mean something if there was another option for ranked matches, but there isn't. I know very well that I can wait for parties and I am - I haven't been playing ranked all that often, I play like an hour or so and stop, and I'm only B- as of this post. Solo queue is generally in a game that already has the option to pair up in some way with friends, and even then, it doesn't change the wildcard nature of the teammates you get. And carry does not mean "win as if tho' you have no players on your team" - it's one thing to lead a team of people that maybe can't get kills or is pinned down or something. It's an entirely different thing to carry people who don't learn from their mistakes or can't play well enough to even be considering ranking up.

I won't pretend that I can't just wait until August, or just play Turf War and ignore Ranked in general. But no one can pretend that bad players aren't a detriment to a team, and honestly, I've seen more bad players than I have good. And I've had it easy from what I hear compared to most other people playing rank. I've yet to have a team where, if I did well, they didn't also do well. I don't mind losing if I'm looking at a score of like 3/7 on my name. But if I'm getting double/triple splats or taking out snipers, I expect my team to capitalize. I can't fulfill every role on the team all within the same moment. And that's with me winning. Like I said there are people who do way better than me solo and are still losing. A friend told me he had 20 charger kills today - that's his role - and he still lost.

There's only so much carrying you can do before your only option is putting down your pad and praying to a deity for divine intervention.
Okay so what is the problem here? You just said that if you do well your team does well, usually meaning you win. So basically if you carry you win, and that is the majority of your personal experience with the game. Thank you for proving me right, that's exactly what I was saying. Carry to win.

Sigakure

Inkster Jr.
NNID
martinengo
The victim mentality is easy to adapt, as it shifts the blame elsewhere.

There is always something you could have done better.

Until you are playing flawlessly(note: this is impossible, you can always improve), you have no right to blame your teammates.
I'm not going to repeat all my posts again. Luck is a factor, and the probabilities of it can vary. This is a team game, and I'm not a god, but I try to do my best, and I understand the type of game, generally I do well my part and I contribute to my team.

Last edited:

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
Of course one can always do better, but you have to be realistic. If you expect to be able to carry a bad team as a charger, you aren't setting yourself up for improvement, you're giving yourself an unrealistically skewed view that will only hinder your growth.

Edit: Depending on the map. SR and AW can be realistically carried by a charger.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
Okay so what is the problem here? You just said that if you do well your team does well, usually meaning you win. So basically if you carry you win, and that is the majority of your personal experience with the game.
And I'm saying that people I play with or people I've seen play do better than me, and they still have a harder time than me.

By the logic you're going by, I'm better than most people I talk to about ranked. But I play with them and I know this isn't true.
And then there are people who I've talked to who don't use my simple strategies of flanking, waiting, or baiting, and when I tell it to them, it makes sense.

But what, am I supposed to educate every other player on shooters 101? Randoms that I can't communicate with?

I said when I do well, my team usually does well. Yes I can carry. But that doesn't mean my team gets away with being bad.
If what you're saying is true, that this is all about solo ability, then where are all the people out performing me? I'm usually top of the board or even with my team. Once again, are you saying my wins manage to make me better than most people I've played with? At some point, shouldn't someone else step up to the plate and carry the team? You know, by virtue of your logic being "individual skill matters most".

Or maybe, just maybe, bad players are bad, and since I've spent less time on ranked, I've ran into less teams I couldn't carry that extra mile, and ran into a couple of teams that knew what they were doing. Maybe I'm at the top of the scoreboards for the games I win because I keep running into people who aren't as good as me, which I see often, and I'm sure happens often for most other people, from what I hear.

Oh, and just because it doesn't effect me doesn't mean it's not a problem. Luck is a factor - you have no way of knowing how skill your teammates are. Sure, the nature of solo queue means you need to be ready for anything, but that doesn't excuse the large percentage of bad players. There is a way to eliminate that luck, which isn't in the game yet. So until it gets here, the bottom line is that ranked is basically a grab bag for good players if you can find them.

In the end your logic is silly, since even if I was somehow really amazing...

1 good player vs FOUR good players is still uneven. >_>

EDIT: I gotta stop writing giant posts when I don't even proofread 'em, jeez.

Last edited:

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
I'm not going to repeat what I already said, luck is a factor, and the probabilities of it can vary. This is a team game, and I'm not a god, but I try to do my best, and I understand the type of game, generally I do well my part of contribution in a match.
That's good then :)

As long as you are attempting to understand the game, identify mistakes, and contributing you will slowly improve.

I understand the need to vent your frustration however, but I think once you realize that it's simply just negativity and serves only to hinder your game play you'll be a lot better off.

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
I understand the need to vent your frustration however, but I think once you realize that it's simply just negativity and serves only to hinder your game play you'll be a lot better off.
I think venting your frustration serves a good purpose, it allows you to see your mistakes sometimes and correct them. I just think sometimes people vent over things like this without putting the time into the game. Not everyone will be A+ withing a few days and it might take a few months for the ranked system to really show you where you belong, just keep trying people.

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
I got to A- yesterday. I would probably only need a few more days to make it to A+.

Sigakure

Inkster Jr.
NNID
martinengo
I'm not really frustrated, I just wanted to point it out since it has been treated on this topic. It's annoying, I have to accept it, but I still enjoy the game and I try, as you said, to learn about my mistakes and to improve myself, yes, I have a lot to improve, I'm aware of that. I'm not perfect either, but I'm expressing my opinion in regards of how the system currently is, and how the luck factor can either increase or decrease your rank. The last ZeroParadox's comment expresses what I mean, I can do my best, but if I'm playing against two, three or four players of my level (I'm referring to skill), and two of my team mates aren't good enough, or don't understand what they should be doing at certain moments, or simply the weapon are all the same (especially chargers), the probabilities of winning are low on those ocassions.

I'm confident they will become way better than it is in the future, Splatoon has so much potential. Many different game modes can be added, plus playing with an organize team will increase the competitive level a lot.

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
I'm not perfect either, but I'm expressing my opinion in regards of how the system currently is, and how the luck factor can either increase or decrease your rank./QUOTE]

It's alright to be annoyed as long as you realize that the luck factor will eventually balance itself out the more games you play. People that deserve to be ranked higher will be ranked higher and people that deserve to be ranked lower will be ranked lower. I come from the LoL scene so this luck factor isn't really a problem for me as long as I tell myself it'll balance itself out eventually (Idk why this is a quote but ok.)

Last edited:

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
C-. Haven't played much of it. It just doesn't seem as competitive or fun as Turf War. The A+ videos I see looks exactly how C- players play. It seems like rank doesn't matter at all. I only play Splat Zone if I get tired of playing Turf War.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
C-. Haven't played much of it. It just doesn't seem as competitive or fun as Turf War. The A+ videos I see looks exactly how C- players play. It seems like rank doesn't matter at all. I only play Splat Zone if I get tired of playing Turf War.
There's a lot of hidden awareness going on at the higher levels. If you think C- looks the same as A+, you aren't seeing it.

ThatSrb2DUDE

Senior Squid
NNID
ThatSrb2DUDE
There is a HUGE difference from C- lobbies and A+. I think I was C+ at the time where I was in a lobby filled with C-'s and I was the only person who got kills out of the 8 people in the entire game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom