How much do you enjoy the "mirror match" with your main?

Look at the thread's title bozo

• Love it!

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Pretty cool.

• No strong opinion

• Not a huge fan.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • NO!

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

DzNutsKong

Inkling Commander
This is a topic that's come up a few times lately and I found interesting to hear about both times. Figured I'd make a thread about it.

Picture this - you're getting ready for a match, playing whatever you'd consider your main or best weapon, and get queued up against someone else playing the exact same weapon as you. Whether it's directly 1v1ing the weapon or however else you need to change your playstyle when one's on the opposing team, do you have fun in these situations or no?

You might not be surprised to hear this but I personally enjoy it with the Decavitator. One of my favorite matchups when I played Shooters was the Dualie matchup because previous experience with Smash got me used to predicting when and where people are going to move. I think it made that matchup a bit easier to grasp for me in particular than it would for others. It got a bit harder when I got off of Shooters but the bottom line still stands.

It's a similar deal with Decav except you also need to understand how to space around several different things at once, between the dash, the one-shot, and both the charged and uncharged shots. Whoever sees the other one first usually has the advantage but it still feels like playing especially well or poorly will lead to you winning or losing the engagement. The one real problem is that you need to be careful they don't jump over your hitbox but it's really not the end of the world.

Mp3

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Female she/her
I don’t enjoy it but I don’t hate it. Playing other dynamo rollers is very odd, because most of the dynamo users I encounter either
Are a pro
Just got the game
Only roll with rollers
Or are incompetent
Soo

Player#11

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-0669-8194
Been playing a lot of hydra and the ditto is either us slowly approaching each other while firing a full charge or waiting for the other hydra to run out charge so that you can peek (tho most of the time they're already behind cover so the loop continues but ignore that)

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
I have to say, the tent mirror match is so unfun lmao, I hate it.
For those that don't know, your shields both disappear when they make contact.

The best comparison I can make is being stuck in a traffic jam, you both literally make each other play the game less. You both use the exact same angles, and you end up having this weird resource management minigame where you need to figure out when it's advantageous for you to trade your shield for theirs, which is incredibly boring, you don't get to do anything yourself.

You basically ignore each other the whole game, because none of you will have fun otherwise

Vidknight

Formerly 'Grekly'
Pronouns
He/Him
Usually it depends on the skill level on the player using the weapon.

If way better I get a little salty over being destroyed by my weapon but I get over it quickly.

If equal skill than its pretty fun, Its fun playing against people equal skill level with any weapon but, when it is a mirror there is this feeling of back and forth where both of you know that you can beat each other and trying to outsmart them.

If worse that I just feel this aching pain watching them do everything wrong and I just want to reach over to them and yank the weapon out of their hand and show them how its done but, I know I can't so I just watch in horror seeing them never use vertical flick once in roller or something like that.

Last edited:

Cephalobro

Honestly, I kind of don't like it, but it's something I simply let slide due to player numbers never being evenly divided by team. Though, in a Splatfest match, I'd much rather get beaten by my own team rather than one of the opposing teams, because not only it didn't matter, but also knowing that players more skilled than me joined the same Splatfest team I did give me confidence.

Catloafman

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Fella
Splat Brella 1v1s are AWESOME since you are very aware of all of the things Brella has to be aware of (ink management shield hp movement location of everyone else) You basically are in the enemy brellas head which makes them a lot more predictable
Also brella shots deal 2x damage to enemy brellas so you gotta hurry up quick
You even have an additional layer of depth by trying to trade your shields by making contact which just forces you both into sudden death and can be great if the enemy isn't expecting it

Unfortuntly Brella 1v1s do not happen like EVER because nobody plays that gun except for me

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It depends on the kit and map/mode but for the most part I think they're fine and can be fun sometimes.
Machine isn't going to run in for a 1v1 so usually it's all about catching them in a bad spot and using your range and angled slosh to take them out.

Whenever I do end up having to fight a 1v1 against another Machine though it's usually about who can keep the other Machine away.
If one player has a good angle then they can be a little riskier and push in but usually Machine 1v1s end with whoever gets weak first.
However, Machine Neo can get you tracked by Point Sensor so that can be a big problem and usually you're better off backing away to stay alive than continuing to fight.

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
i walk away from every fight with another dualie player (especially other tetras, even if im not currently playing tetras) convinced they're all just better than me and i am the worst dualie player in this game's player base 💔

i did realize a little while ago that part of that is me usually seeing dodge rolls from the perspective of the one doing the rolling, not the opponents of the one doing the rolling. so i was convinced that every other dualie player was just way more mobile than me because i wasn't used to seeing that other perspective. watching replays outside of my own POV (and seeing that i move the same way, who knew) helped with that particular part of this complex though

technobyte

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Heavy Edit mirror matches are always pretty interesting. It's hard to describe but I usually play as a sort of opportunistic killer in that I'm passively turfing but will gun down any unsuspecting enemies that get close enough, so usually it comes down to us fighting over space and looking for the next opportunity to kill each other and everyone we know and love :)

If we're both using edit nouveau we just end up shredding each other's crab tanks which is pretty funny to me. Overall mirror matches are pretty cool. I like getting to see how other people play the weapon I use.

C-53

Full Squid
When Tri-stringers show up on opposite teams, it’s a whole different game mode. Others on the teams might be playing clam blitz or splat zones, but my adversary and I have set that aside and entered the nerdiest slam dunk contest of which the human mind can conceive.

It may begin like a typical game, but quickly escalates into a disgusting and shameful display of childish dominance. As soon as there is contact, it becomes all about which bow can get the sickest no-look, one-shot splats from behind cover.

You caught me with aoe damage while I was clinging to the back of the tower? Well then I guess I am now obligated to spend the next 45 seconds furtively ninja crawling and puddle hopping up to your ledge so that I can delete you with an 88 degree vert shot sent from directly below your feet.

When this happens, the stringer main basically transforms from a battle-meditating jedi master to a territorial berserker hippo that sees only blood red haze and the opposing bow. They never know or care which team wins these matches, but will always remember every single trick shot.

In case it’s not obvious, I am 92% joking.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
she/her
Depends on my mood honestly. If I'm high energy/caffeinated I go into MUST ASSERT DOMINANCE mode and honestly 1v1 tetra fights are a lot of fun when they happen, like 2-6 extremely long seconds of intense psychological warfare, probably the only time where I really think about how to both try to predict where my enemy will move and how to throw them off by moving somewhere other than where I think they think I will move, lol.

On the other hand though it really stresses me out if it happens when I don't feel like I'm playing well (which is more of the time than I want to admit though I am at least getting better at lying to myself about it so it doesn't emotionally impact me); I'm just like 'oh, great, someone else playing my weapon 10x better than me to prove how terrible I am at this.'

And then the rest of the time I just kind of ignore it, well not ignore it but play it without thinking about the fact that my weapon is mirrored. Usually that's in series/rank ups/games with stakes where I am too focused on winning to have strong feelings about the matter.

Azhdarcho

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3173-5595-5611
I honestly don’t really think about Hydra vs Hydra, because ideally you’re too busy swatting the short range weapons to fight each other except opportunistically.

Now, when there’s more than two Hydras in a match, that I hate. I had a couple of those last night in 2000+XP zones and one of my opponents was a top 500 player 😭

You basically ignore each other the whole game, because none of you will have fun otherwise
That’s just every weapon’s strategy vs a competent Tent 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom