• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How to Calculate Ability Effects

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
Is this potentially abusable with the Inkzooka? You could fire one or two quick shots and splat people then kill yourself and you could have another fully charged Inkzooka by the time you get back.

It's extremely situational (having the gear and it's stage-dependent) but could have interesting applications.

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
Small question about the formula Effect = 2*(Ability/60) - (Ability/60)^2

If the main ability is 10 per and sub is 3 per the max would be 57 if you have full?

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
>Defense Up increases aren't inversely proportional to Damage Up increase

god nintendo fix your broken game
Pretty sure it's a special case, cause an equal amount of Def and Dmg directly cancel out.

It's just if they have no Damage Up at all, max Def isn't super amazing. I guess it's to balance out the fact that weapons hard cap to prevent fewer hits to splat or something.

Nikey

Inkling
NNID
Nikkeli
Pretty sure it's a special case, cause an equal amount of Def and Dmg directly cancel out.

It's just if they have no Damage Up at all, max Def isn't super amazing. I guess it's to balance out the fact that weapons hard cap to prevent fewer hits to splat or something.
If the attacking player has more damage up or equal amount of damage up as the defending player has defense up, each point of defense up reduces the damage just as much as damage up increases it so they cancel each other out. However if the defending player has more defense up than the attacking player has damage up, each point of defense up that goes over the difference has its effect reduced by 4/9 or about 44%.
This basically

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
What do you mean by this?
DUs probably means Distance Unit. Based on how Box presented it, the speed of how fast the projectile launches increases the more Bomb Range Up abilities are stacked. Unfortunately I cannot test this out for you personally at the moment, but based on what I have seen from general gameplay, that would make the most sense.

MandL27

Inkling
NNID
MandL27
DUs probably means Distance Unit. Based on how Box presented it, the speed of how fast the projectile launches increases the more Bomb Range Up abilities are stacked. Unfortunately I cannot test this out for you personally at the moment, but based on what I have seen from general gameplay, that would make the most sense.
Is there any concrete way to describe what 1 DU equals in-game? Without that, most of this info isn't really great for at-a-glance reading.

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
Those are the numbers taken directly from the game for "BombThrow_VelZ"

Just know that the max is 50% higher than default, so whatever speed/distance it is, it's that much more.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
so basically for me this really shows what should be a main and what shouldn't like swim speed would be a waste a sub does the same as a main but for example the damage up main is huge with 1 sub it compares to 4 subs pretty much so u get more abilities this way does that make sense?

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
All I want is. 3 main:ability_swimspeed:, with 9 sub:ability_swimspeed:.
I want to see how fast one can go.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
It's probably only marginally faster than normal. Just like ink saver abilities only saving a few percent off their respective stats. Run speed though is reeeeeally noticable with those damn zaps.

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
1.25x default speed.

Or ~1.05x faster than with 3 main 0 sub.

so basically for me this really shows what should be a main and what shouldn't like swim speed would be a waste a sub does the same as a main but for example the damage up main is huge with 1 sub it compares to 4 subs pretty much so u get more abilities this way does that make sense?
Well no, every sub ability, no matter what it is, counts for exactly 30% of a main. You can mix and match however you want, assuming the available clothing options allow for it, since main/sub doesn't really matter unless you're extremely picky about exact values and can't stand being slightly up or down a fraction of a percent.

Invertex

Inkling
NNID
Invertex
After doing some stopwatch tests for Run Speed Up, I think there's an issue here. The max decrease in time spent going from point A to B was 33.67% for me. Using 3 Main and 9 Sub.

Here are my full results, percents are how much faster. (times were averaged from 6+ attempts on each and they were very close results):
12 Speed ( 3 Main / 9 Sub)
4.00s - 33.67%

8 Speed (2 Main / 6 Sub)
4.26s - 29.36%

4 Speed (1 Main/ 3 Sub
4.79s - 20.57%

1 Speed (Main)
5.24s - 13.11%

2 Speed (sub)
5.51s - 8.63%

Base Speed
6.03s

In your results, you show
0Main/0Sub = 0.960 DU/frame
and
3Main/9Sub = 1.439 DU/frame

While 0.960 is 33.29% of 1.439, 1.439 is not 33.29% or 33.67% faster than the base 0.960 DU/frame...
This chart at first glance implies that 3Main/9Sub is 49.89% faster than no boosts at all, which isn't true.
So people looking this chart up, will simply compare the difference in DU/s and think they are getting a faster boost than they really are.

The true boost is basically:
100 - ((base DUframe / boosted DUframe) * 100) = bonus speed percent

Last edited:

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
Yes, +50% velocity is quite different from -50% time taken, as you would need to double your DU/frame to travel the same distance in half the time.

There's no deception here. If you have max Run Speed Up, you will move 50% faster than anyone with none. You will reach the opposing spawn point by the time they get 66.7% of the way there. It will take them 50% longer to catch up to where you were at any given time.

Or looking at it in reverse, if you do not have any Run Speed Up, you will move 33.3% slower than those who are capped. For every step you take, they go 50% further. They will spend 33.3 of the time waiting for you to catch up.

Let's say a railroad track is 72 DU long.
Train A is traveling at .96 DU/frame, and Train B is traveling at 1.44 DU/frame.
How many frames does each train need to reach the other end?
If the two trains start from opposite ends, how many frames will it take for them to collide?
How many DU will each train travel in the time it took to collide?

So then, exactly how much "faster" is Train B compared to Train A? 2/3 or 3/2?

Invertex

Inkling
NNID
Invertex
Yes, +50% velocity is quite different from -50% time taken, as you would need to double your DU/frame to travel the same distance in half the time.

There's no deception here. If you have max Run Speed Up, you will move 50% faster than anyone with none. You will reach the opposing spawn point by the time they get 66.7% of the way there. It will take them 50% longer to catch up to where you were at any given time.

Or looking at it in reverse, if you do not have any Run Speed Up, you will move 33.3% slower than those who are capped. For every step you take, they go 50% further. They will spend 33.3 of the time waiting for you to catch up.

Let's say a railroad track is 72 DU long.
Train A is traveling at .96 DU/frame, and Train B is traveling at 1.44 DU/frame.
How many frames does each train need to reach the other end?
If the two trains start from opposite ends, how many frames will it take for them to collide?
How many DU will each train travel in the time it took to collide?

So then, exactly how much "faster" is Train B compared to Train A? 2/3 or 3/2?
I wasn't saying there was a deception, I was saying that the average person would misinterpret those results, they'd look at the % and think "oh, so I'll be % faster than other players", when in reality that's not the actual percent faster you are in meaningful terms. You will not reach a point that % faster than other players, but that is how people interpret results like that.

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
I wasn't saying there was a deception, I was saying that the average person would misinterpret those results, they'd look at the % and think "oh, so I'll be % faster than other players", when in reality that's not the actual percent faster you are in meaningful terms. You will not reach a point that % faster than other players, but that is how people interpret results like that.
Well, if you look at the %, you can say "oh, so I'll be % faster than other players" and be correct.

Just like how going 90mph is 50% faster than 60mph.
I thought there was a site for all of this already...

https://calc.splatoon.ink/
That site used to use bum data and a lot of it was incorrect at higher amounts of stacked ability slots. It has since shifted to mirror what's in this thread here. So no, when the thread was first made, that site did not have all of this already.

Xtura

Inkling
NNID
xtura9
I feel sick after sucking up 300k I spent a few days grinding after seeing this. Basically each player can hold little edge over another even if you put in the time to do it. Meh, I hate nintendo.... All those rerolls for nothing....so done with this.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
First of all, thanks to Box for digging up the exact numbers. I actually always wanted to know them!
Now I wonder whether the Splatoon Calculator is accurate? Haven't checked all the numbers yet.

It looks like with max Special Saver you practically lose nothing when you get splatted, so your special is always safe!
It is indeed, you get 100% as you can see in this video.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Looks like Ink Saver Main, Ink Saver Sub, and Ink Recovery Up will need to be changed since they have changed their caps thanks to the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom