• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Hydra Splattling: Analysis and Thoughts

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
The more I read this thread, the more I think it's about the sub / special combination and less about the range. You can't say one outclasses the other. To be fair, I would say the vanilla Splatling is better against snipers, because approaching one without a Splash Wall is suicide and you can flush them out with Inkstrike. And the Hydra, even with its longer range, has better close-up options overall. Splatling Deco plays differently too with the Kraken.

Also forget the E-Liter. From the spawn point in training mode, the hydra can just BARELY splat the second dummy. Even the Splat Charger does that with ease.
That's exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying the Hydra is the better Splatling (outside of my personal opinion) as a fact. I'm simply stating what it does in fact over the Heavy Splatling. Everyone else is just writing it off as an inferior Splatling without grasping the benefits it has over its counterpart.

The amount of range you get for the charge time is the reason why everyone saying it's bad and the only way to make it better is to lower the amount of time needed or (what mostly people are saying now) buff the range.Reason why the Eliter isnt having the same problem is because the amount of range you get for the charge time is worth it.

Also dont ask dumb questions
Lol. . .

Firstly, no ****. I've read peoples statements and I've agreed. Yes, the charge time is less than stellar, yea, the range could have been better, that is undeniable. But as it is, it is not "bad", it is not "outclassed by the Heavy Splatling", it is not any of the things people have stated. It could use some work, I wouldn't mind it gaining a buff, but it is not atrocious without one.
So, what you're saying is the ELiter has positives that make that charge time worth it? Well, would you look at that, so does the Hydra. The combination of Fire Rate, damage, and Range are unmatched, simple as that. It is great for suppression as has been expressed in previous posts, but I guess we'll ignore those.

Again, I am not saying it is the best weapon, or even the best Splatling as a fact. I am simply saying it does have positive traits the other splatlings do not have, and is not "bad" or "outclassed" as it is now.

Oh, the arrogance on this one. . .
"Dumb Questions". Lol, trying to look cool in front of your friends. Cute. . .
I asked because it REALLY seemed like you completely went past every post making it out to be some huge detrimental hindrance when in actuality, it isn't. But yea, I'm the dumb one.

Nice seeing a couple teen aged boys that just had their balls drop hype each other up and pop off at the mouth. At least you'll have each other.

Adorable.

Last edited:

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
That's exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying the Hydra is the better Splatling (outside of my personal opinion) as a fact. I'm simply stating what it does in fact over the Heavy Splatling. Everyone else is just writing it off as an inferior Splatling without grasping the benefits it has over its counterpart.

Lol. . .

Firstly, no ****. I've read peoples statements and I've agreed. Yes, the charge time is less than stellar, yea, the range could have been better, that is undeniable. But as it is, it is not "bad", it is not "outclassed by the Heavy Splatling", it is not any of the things people have stated. It could use some work, I wouldn't mind it gaining a buff, but it is not atrocious without one.
So, what you're saying is the ELiter has positives that make that charge time worth it? Well, would you look at that, so does the Hydra. The combination of Fire Rate, damage, and Range are unmatched, simple as that. It is great for suppression as has been expressed in previous posts, but I guess we'll ignore those.

Again, I am not saying it is the best weapon, or even the best Splatling as a fact. I am simply saying it does have positive traits the other splatlings do not have, and is not "bad" or "outclassed" as it is now.

"Dumb Questions". Cute. . .
I asked because it REALLY seemed like you completely went past every post making it out to be some huge detrimental hindrance when in actuality, it isn't. But yea, I'm the dumb one.

Nice seeing a couple teen aged boys that just had their balls drop hype each other up. At least you'll have each other.

Adorable.
Wow ur no fun,
Hey guys, guess the same thoughts we had about hydra were wrong huh?

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Wow ur no fun,
Hey guys, guess the same thoughts we had about hydra were wrong huh?
Lol, and it flows onto you. You two are meant for each other.

Anyways, so you're playing the "we have numbers card"? Classic.

But yes, in some ways you guys are wrong. The charge time isn't nearly as big a deal as everyone seems to make it out to be, and it isn't outclassed by the Heavy as they are capable of doing different things. You are correct in saying it is a slow charge however, and that more range would be much appreciated. So there's that.

People also agreed the Bamboozler was bad, but guess what it's not. People will have differing opinions. To think yours is the only correct one further proves one of my points.

The other being it is not nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

ThatLuckyKid

Inkling

Lol. . .

"Dumb Questions". Lol, trying to look cool in front of your friends. Cute. . .

Nice seeing a couple teen aged boys that just had their balls drop hype each other up and pop off at the mouth. At least you'll have each other.

Adorable.
I rest my case. Lol i win, you blew this discussion way out of proportion

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
Lol, and it flows onto you. You two are meant for each other.

Anyways, so you're playing the "we have numbers card"? Classic.

But yes, in some ways you guys are wrong. The charge time isn't nearly as big a deal as everyone seems to make it out to be, and it isn't outclassed by the Heavy as they are capable of doing different things. You are correct in saying it is a slow charge however, and that more range would be much appreciated. So there's that.

People also agreed the Bamboozler was bad, but guess what it's not. People will have differing opinions. To think yours is the only correct one further proves one of my points.

The other being it is not nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be.
Lol dont compare me to the likes of him. All i got to say is that it's not a coincidence that were saying the samething. There are some people who play heavy the way you're suppose to play hydra but the difference isnt that great to make the switch
Plus to be fair you did make it seem like he was stupid when you ask the question.The way he came in this forum seems like he wanted to know more about the hydra

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
All i got to say is that it's not a coincidence that were saying the samething. There are some people who play heavy the way you're suppose to play hydra but the difference isnt that great to make the switch
Well, no, there is logic behind it. However, some people can also agree that the Dynamo Roller is an overpowered mess. That doesn't make it so. You all have good points, and I can agree with them, right up until people start saying it is "bad" or is "outclassed". It's simply not true. It has negatives aspects, but it also has several positive ones, which I have beaten into the ground.

As far as the second point goes. We may have to agree to disagree because that is completely subjective. As a former Heavy Splatling main, you were able to get slightly more careless thanks to Splash Walls. You also had to get up close in order to snag Splats. This is not the case with the Hydra. You have to play even more defensive than that of the Heavy. You need to play more like a charger. You should be up high, far away and scanning the horizon for people trying to flank or take control of whatever the objective may be. The Hydra is far more supportive than the Heavy, because of its long range and Echolocator. The Heavy tends to push more, It's a lot less campy than the Hydra.

I wouldn't quite say they perform the same.

Yet u insulted mines first
Except, I didn't, lol. But okay buddy.

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
"Dont ask dumb questions" doesnt translate to "your IQ is low" The answer to your question was so obvious, why wouldnt i read everyone opinion about hydra to infer the problem that most have?
Sigh, we're still doing this Mr. "I won"? Firstly, it insinuates such but whatever, hide behind the ambiguity if you please. Second, I said what I did because you said I was making it a big deal, when it was the other way around. Which you would not have said had you read pther peoples previous posts.

ThatLuckyKid

Inkling
Sigh, we're still doing this Mr. "I won"? Firstly, it insinuates such but whatever, hide behind the ambiguity if you please. Second, I said what I did because you said I was making it a big deal, when it was the other way around. Which you would not have said had you read pther peoples previous posts.
Guess my definition of a big deal is different than yours

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
But them splat bombs tho, with bomb range up you can easily make people leave their hiding spots and go in for the kill or provide back up for a teammate by throwing one behind an enemy they're fighting. The amount of strategies you could create with this weapon is phenomenal

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
"If you play the weapon correctly" Is something that you can say with every single weapon, but that doesn't make the weapon itself any good. What can the Hydra do that other similar weapons (E-Liter/Jet Squelcher/Heavy Splatling) can't do, is something i'd rather like to hear.

But honestly the fact that it takes so long just to get 9 points of extra range over the Heavy is one big problem for me, which it cannot reliably make use of because Splatlings aren't very accurate to begin with.
Tbh, as much of a cop-out as that quote is, it's also true. There's one caveat that I want to mention though: I don't necessarily agree with the idea that there's only one correct way to play any weapon in Splatoon. If it gets the job you want done, then it's correct to me. It'd also be best if people don't conflate ranked mode with Turf Wars because often times they require you to play the same weapon differently (be it via play or loadout).

Now, I don't really play those similar weapons you mentioned, but I'll give some light comparisons anyway, this doesn't take the subs and specials into account, everything here is based on my experience with it in Turf Wars, I haven't taken it into ranked yet:
  • In contrast to the E-Liter and other chargers, the Hydra actually has the best chance of taking out a whole bunch of squids if you're nested in the correct spot. Just imagine how long it'd take for an E-Liter to pick off 2-3 squids within a radius, then imagine how long it'd take the Hydra.
  • The Jet Squelcher has the best range of the automatic shooters but I reckon its rate of fire is lower than the Hydra's. Obviously it doesn't have the downside of a long startup time to get the range you want.
  • The Heavy Splatling definitely feels easier to pick up than the Hydra and the Mini Splatling even more so. The Hydra does excel at ranged control and accuracy at that range over the Heavy though.
Some additional thoughts:
  • Perhaps you've noticed already, the weapons in Splatoon seem to have this concept whereby the easier weapons (Splattershot Jr, Mini Splatling) have shorter ranges and more deviation in spread whilst the harder weapons have great ranges and precision (Splattershot Pro, Nozzlenoses, Hydra etc.) but generally a much steeper learning curve.
  • Additionally, I think the accuracy of the Hydra is pretty superb for it's range and due to it's firing rate it tracks quite well. Works best if you gain a height advantage.
  • I actually think the range of the Hydra is fine as it is, if anything I dislike the way it spreads ink in relation to charge time. I'm still searching for an optimal way to ink turf but the feeling I get is that I really have to rely on my team mates to get that done.
  • My (self assigned) job is more towards suppressing the enemy. If you somehow land on a team with 1 or 2 more Hydras besides yourself, you will probably lose.
  • In the right spot with the luxury to get a full charge, you can splat a whole team of squids if they're foolish enough to wander into your radius. Tower defense here we go!
  • Part of the learning curve for this weapon is getting used to the various degrees of charge as well as knowing how and when to use them. I've actually got some basic frame data (via frame counting) to compare the Hydra and the Heavy, I'll post it below:
Just as a primer, Splatoon runs at 60 frames per second so let's say a weapon takes 30f to charge, that would be half a second. Essentially it's another way to count time here. (I measured two different recordings and got a slight difference by 1 to 2 frames in some cases, I could always attempt another recording+count but you guys will get the idea anyway)
  • Heavy Splatling: 50f to hit first ring. 26f to hit second ring. When fully charged, continuous fire for 148f to 150f.
  • Hydra Splatling: 109f to hit first ring. 27f to 28f to hit second ring. When fully charged, continuous fire for 219f to 220f.
  • Just a basic update (measurements are rough here) about the Hydra: If you charge lesser than half a ring, like say 30f, you would be able to fire for less than 30f. If you charge above the halfway mark, like 55f and above, then you'll get more than 55f worth of shooting time. Will update further tomorrow.
So the Hydra pretty much takes a little over 2x the time to charge to the first ring, and essentially the same time to hit a full charge from there. At full charge it also fires for almost 50% longer than the Heavy Splatling.

I'm thinking of doing some further measurements for other specific ranges and charges and I'll update if I do get around to it.

Based on my current experience, the Hydra is a very nuanced weapon IMO and you'd have to get familiar with charging to a quarter ring, half ring etc. and the ranges they work at. In my experience, there are times where I deal with sudden close range battles by doing a quarter ring charge and it's enough to take out one squid. Practise against the dummies, it helps.

P.S. I've been playing Turf Wars with a full Power Armor set and the Hydra just for kicks :D

Last edited:

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
But them splat bombs tho, with bomb range up you can easily make people leave their hiding spots and go in for the kill or provide back up for a teammate by throwing one behind an enemy they're fighting. The amount of strategies you could create with this weapon is phenomenal
A bit off topic but personally the strategy of using bombs to drive enemies away is a strategy I employ with the H-3 Nozzlenose. I find suction bombs best for that job.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
Doing a half bar of the first ring of charge seems to be the best solution to taking out aggressors trying to take advantage of my atrocious charge time.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
Man i never knew how scary its is to be a big threat to your opponent until i became so good with this weapon. Had a rapid blaster shooting the left side of my cover and a charger shooting the over. I thought about super jumping to spawn but i decided to play bait thinking they werent going to kill me until one of their teammates dropped and inkstrike directly on top of me........what a cruel world...........\
I swear that was planned

Last edited:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
i find it utterly ridiculous that the hydra is not only outranged by the splatterscope, but also barely outranges the heavy. in my mind, i thought it was gonna have the second (well third if you count scoped E-Litre as a different weapon) longest range in the game. developers, if you ever have another balance patch, give it range that's somewhere between 92 and 95.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom