Hydra Splattling: Analysis and Thoughts

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
This weapon would be great except for the fact that chargers exist and this thing will literally be free kills for any eliter.
This weapon is not rendered obsolete by chargers, it functions much too differently. It is much better at repelling multiple assailants, while laying down a constant stream of ink that prevents them from advancing for a significant duration, giving your teammates lots of time to gain a favourable position.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This weapon is not rendered obsolete by chargers, it functions much too differently. It is much better at repelling multiple assailants, while laying down a constant stream of ink that prevents them from advancing for a significant duration, giving your teammates lots of time to gain a favourable position.
If you suppress the enemy team well enough to force their sniper to chase you, your teammates can probably exploit the shifted focus of the sniper to advance.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
And about chargers beating this weapon, consider this: short of well-placed specials, chargers are the ONLY weapons capable of challenging Hydra Splatlings in prepared positions. It's basically the epitome of a light machine gun in other shooters, or the Heavy from TF2. No other weapon can really match the ranged firepower at this behemoth's disposal, unless they catch it unawares, but the echolocator helps mitigate this weakness.

For skills, you want to be as stubborn a defender as possible, so Defence Ups are useful, especially against the explosives that opponents will no doubt hurl at you while trying to dislodge you. Ink Saver Main keeps you firing longer, while Tenacity can help accumulate your special even if you're not actively inking turf.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
WELL LOOK WHO'S LATE TO THE PARTY. THE MAKER OF THIS THREAD.

So I FINALLY got to try out the Hydra Splatling tonight, and as an E-Liter main, I had a ton of fun with this weapon. The range is great and I outranged every adversary except for an E-Liter I faced for a couple matches, but that was also on Urchin Underpass, which is NOT this weapon's map; too cluttered. I also enjoy the very fast time-to-kill compensated for its range, and I could tell how many people did NOT expect to die so quickly from such a slow-looking weapon. Now, the charge time is very slow to get it up to full charge, but I made up for that with doing many partial charges to cover turf and get quick kills in close quarters. Speaking of which, this weapon does have issues with close-range combat, which can be negated with short burst of charge but it is very hard to do. Splat Bombs also help in close range, but one should probably be better with them than I am. ;) Also concerning Splat Bombs, since this weapon consumes a lot of ink, Ink Saver (Sub) is very good where this weapon is concerned to keep the Splat Bombs coming. Ink Saver (Main) is also generally good because of how ink-hungry this weapon is. Oh, and Echolocator is just great for picking off targets and knowing if a sneaky Brush or Roller is going for the flank. And here are my recommended abilities, which, now that I know how to use emotes, are much easier to type:

Stackable:
:ability_inksavermain:
:ability_inksaversub:
:ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_bombrange:
:ability_damage:

Main-Exclusive:
:ability_bombsniffer:
:ability_recon:
:ability_tenacity:
:ability_coldblooded:

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
WELL LOOK WHO'S LATE TO THE PARTY. THE MAKER OF THIS THREAD.

So I FINALLY got to try out the Hydra Splatling tonight, and as an E-Liter main, I had a ton of fun with this weapon. The range is great and I outranged every adversary except for an E-Liter I faced for a couple matches, but that was also on Urchin Underpass, which is NOT this weapon's map; too cluttered. I also enjoy the very fast time-to-kill compensated for its range, and I could tell how many people did NOT expect to die so quickly from such a slow-looking weapon. Now, the charge time is very slow to get it up to full charge, but I made up for that with doing many partial charges to cover turf and get quick kills in close quarters. Speaking of which, this weapon does have issues with close-range combat, which can be negated with short burst of charge but it is very hard to do. Splat Bombs also help in close range, but one should probably be better with them than I am. ;) Also concerning Splat Bombs, since this weapon consumes a lot of ink, Ink Saver (Sub) is very good where this weapon is concerned to keep the Splat Bombs coming. Ink Saver (Main) is also generally good because of how ink-hungry this weapon is. Oh, and Echolocator is just great for picking off targets and knowing if a sneaky Brush or Roller is going for the flank. And here are my recommended abilities, which, now that I know how to use emotes, are much easier to type:

Stackable:
:ability_inksavermain:
:ability_inksaversub:
:ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_bombrange:
:ability_damage:

Main-Exclusive:
:ability_bombsniffer:
:ability_recon:
:ability_tenacity:
:ability_coldblooded:
Personally I'd argue that Defence Up is more important than Offence; the utility of this weapon is not just in splatting others, but preventing them from advancing with an almost never-ending stream of ink. Since they generally cannot get in a position to shoot you, they'll likely resort to throwing explosives instead, which defence up will do well to mitigate the offensiveness of. It also just might let you survive a less than fully charged sniper shot.

I also consider Ink Saver Main more useful than Sub; I only occasionally use bombs as deterrent, to dislodge snipers or flush out enemies in hiding. Bomb range up can help with the last two scenarios but in general you should be focusing on always being in a position to ward them off with your fire. Plus, if you're squaring off with a single opponent up close, you don't need a large amount of ink.

Cold-blooded also isn't as useful on a Hydra than with others since a large stream of ink isn't exactly subtle, and it isn't very good at ambushes without advance knowledge. Most of the time you'll be hanging behind your teammates as support, suppressing the opponents so that they may advance. Stealth isn't really useful in this role since you kind of WANT to make yourself known to enemy so that they have to focus on you if they want to progress. And that's where the Defence Ups come in.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Personally I'd argue that Defence Up is more important than Offence; the utility of this weapon is not just in splatting others, but preventing them from advancing with an almost never-ending stream of ink. Since they generally cannot get in a position to shoot you, they'll likely resort to throwing explosives instead, which defence up will do well to mitigate the offensiveness of. It also just might let you survive a less than fully charged sniper shot.

I also consider Ink Saver Main more useful than Sub; I only occasionally use bombs as deterrent, to dislodge snipers or flush out enemies in hiding. Bomb range up can help with the last two scenarios but in general you should be focusing on always being in a position to ward them off with your fire. Plus, if you're squaring off with a single opponent up close, you don't need a large amount of ink.

Cold-blooded also isn't as useful on a Hydra than with others since a large stream of ink isn't exactly subtle, and it isn't very good at ambushes without advance knowledge. Most of the time you'll be hanging behind your teammates as support, suppressing the opponents so that they may advance. Stealth isn't really useful in this role since you kind of WANT to make yourself known to enemy so that they have to focus on you if they want to progress. And that's where the Defence Ups come in.
The idea with Cold-Blooded is catching enemies off-guard from a camping spot, and them finding you in that spot is sure to be a pain to fend off. Well, it could be the maps I played on too. It was amazing on SSR, but UU not so much, and I really want to try it on MT and CT.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
The idea with Cold-Blooded is catching enemies off-guard from a camping spot, and them finding you in that spot is sure to be a pain to fend off. Well, it could be the maps I played on too. It was amazing on SSR, but UU not so much, and I really want to try it on MT and CT.
I just think a charger would suit a stealth role better, as their shots are much more inconspicuous, especially if you can manipulate the aiming laser so that they don't see it. That, and they're just as vulnerable, if not more so when caught at close range.

Camp Triggerfish I did pretty well with it, you can pretty much lock down the main path if you can get up there (plus you can shoot from the bottom of the stairs) and it has enough range to catch those who are trying to slip behind you.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I get the feeling that a lot of these opinions stem from thinking of how the Hydra works on one or two maps. Personally I think any loadout is good if it works for what particular playstyle you might be going for. Sometimes, my playstyle had to change because of my team and the enemy's team makeup as well as what maps I was playing in.

For example, when Moray Towers is in rotation, I wouldn't really pick Cold Blooded there because personally, there aren't going to be that many places I'd be hiding at. My role there is mostly very similar to the E-Liter except that I can rain a lot more ink on the enemy's ledge.

I had some matches earlier today where the enemy team had at least two players rocking Echolocator, that was pretty nasty as it was almost as if I was visible to them for most of the match. Kelp Dome would be one map where I might pick Cold Blooded.

@HappyBear801 I actually felt the Hydra works very well in Urchin Underpass, it inks the middle 'canyon' quite well and the higher vantage points (especially the grates) are all good spots for you to rain ink down and suppress the enemy. Could also be that I was playing with a reliable team too haha.

After playing more today, I feel like this weapon excels at the long range and a bit lesser at close range and I think it's worst at midrange simply because the amount of charge required to splat at that distance tends to be long enough to get me killed; at close range I can take out an enemy with barely a quarter circle charge. What are your experiences with the ranges?

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Kelp Dome, at least in Turf War, strikes me as being a poor map for defensive weapons in general, since there are simply too many avenues to cover reliably.

It sounds like @HappyBear801 is focusing a bit too much on actually hitting Inklings and not quite realizing the benefits of just inking the ground they try to walk on. Fun fact: real life full-auto fire is almost never used to actually shoot people.

As for it's effective range, it really depends on how prepared you are. If you know an enemy is approaching, then no matter whether they're close or at a middle distance you'll have a charge ready to decimate them, or chuck a bomb to dissuade them. Like I said, the only weapon that can truly challenge a hydra is a charger.

Last edited:

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Kelp Dome, at least in Turf War, strikes me as being a poor map for defensive weapons in general, since there are simply too many avenues to cover reliably.
It's not that bad, and if anything I'd say it's one of the few maps that properly keep the game going even if one team has the advantage since the other can still try to go for alternate routes, keeping the matches from becoming stale one-sided stomps (at least most of the time :confused:). The ramps that lead to the catwalks provide some good hull-down positions, and since they're all near your base you usually have somewhere to fall back to in the worst-case scenario. It's also fun to ink the middle area over the walls right in front of your spawn with long-range weapons ;). Finally, since the spawn is in a high, centric position, getting spawncamped with a mid-range weapon or better isn't the worst thing ever (unlike Moray Towers, where you literally have to make it through a no man's land to even contest anyone spawncamping you)

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Obviously anecdotal and due to a relatively weaker enemy team, but in one of my earlier posts (with videos) I could basically gatekeep the enemy from getting to the center of Kelp Dome because they didn't have any charger to properly challenge me.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
One thing that i am interested in is that it's unreleased kit contains sprinkler + bubbler, which sounds amazing for this weapon. Sprinkler mitigates it's turfing weakness while at the same time chargers up it's bubbler which makes it much more worthwhile to just charge it up all the way, pop bubbler and let loose without worrying about chargers/flanks.

Has anyone tried doing a run-speed up build with this? It might work considering it can fire much longer at than the Heavy, once people get stuck at the inkshots from max range you can close in and finish them off at a range where your shots connect more easily.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801

It sounds like @HappyBear801 is focusing a bit too much on actually hitting Inklings and not quite realizing the benefits of just inking the ground they try to walk on. Fun fact: real life full-auto fire is almost never used to actually shoot people.

As for it's effective range, it really depends on how prepared you are. If you know an enemy is approaching, then no matter whether they're close or at a middle distance you'll have a charge ready to decimate them, or chuck a bomb to dissuade them. Like I said, the only weapon that can truly challenge a hydra is a charger.
No, I inked their turf, and it helped. Problem was a lot of them were using super widespread inkers (SoOMs, ASes, SSs, etc.) so it was easy for them to recover. It would be more effective facing more accurate weapons like Chargers, other Splatlings, Squelchers, and Blasters, and it was, I just didn't see too many of them last night. What I forewarn in my post is refering to those widespread inkers who would not be so mitigated by the Hydra Splatling's fire.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
One thing that i am interested in is that it's unreleased kit contains sprinkler + bubbler, which sounds amazing for this weapon. Sprinkler mitigates it's turfing weakness while at the same time chargers up it's bubbler which makes it much more worthwhile to just charge it up all the way, pop bubbler and let loose without worrying about chargers/flanks.

Has anyone tried doing a run-speed up build with this? It might work considering it can fire much longer at than the Heavy, once people get stuck at the inkshots from max range you can close in and finish them off at a range where your shots connect more easily.
Bubbler doesn't sound great on this weapon, you don't spend much time near inklings so you can't share it easily, and while it'll definitely help you survive an ambush the slow charge time gives them ample opportunity to escape. Though I guess if multiple inklings are bearing down on you with no backup being even more indestructible than usual could help. Not bad, but bubblers work better in aggression imo.

No, the special that I'd really like to have on the hydra is a killer wail, to force back the pesky snipers keeping me from good positions, or to corral the enemy into my fire.

And doesn't run speed up only affect movement when not firing/charging?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
And doesn't run speed up only affect movement when not firing/charging?
Just tested it out, Run Speed Up will still affect you when you're charging up/firing. Charging up still slows you down, but not as badly as when you have no Run Speed Ups equipped.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
No, I inked their turf, and it helped. Problem was a lot of them were using super widespread inkers (SoOMs, ASes, SSs, etc.) so it was easy for them to recover. It would be more effective facing more accurate weapons like Chargers, other Splatlings, Squelchers, and Blasters, and it was, I just didn't see too many of them last night. What I forewarn in my post is refering to those widespread inkers who would not be so mitigated by the Hydra Splatling's fire.
I wouldn't really call the Splatlings accurate, as their shots can not only go wide, but also high or low. I've already died twice to Dynamos in a point-blank with the Heavy Splatling because all my shots missed :confused:. On the bright side, I've also seen a stray shot hit a guy mid-air, splatting him o_O

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
First off, a disclaimer: no weapon can truly hold off a group of assailants without backup, especially on wide open or maps with multiple flanking routes. Some maps like Bluefin Depot or Port Mackerel are simpler to defend without teammate support. But no matter what there will be gaps in your firing that the opposition can use to advance; it's up to you to make sure you have a defensible location, and up to your teammates to make good use of the time you've bought for them.

I wouldn't really call the Splatlings accurate, as their shots can not only go wide, but also high or low. I've already died twice to Dynamos in a point-blank with the Heavy Splatling because all my shots missed :confused:. On the bright side, I've also seen a stray shot hit a guy mid-air, splatting him o_O
Hydra is still the most accurate of the Splatlings, which on top of the shots going further is what gives it such a long effective range.

BackwardCap

The Ink Brush Samurai
NNID
BackwardCap
The main weakness of this weapon is simply the popularity of chargers. This weapon becomes nearly useless just at the present of an enemy charger due to being outranged by any e-liter and scope. Even in range, they can win up close just because their charge time is way shorter and splats in one hit. Honestly, the best use of this weapon is covering turf from a safe location like distance artillery. It's why I believe the sprinkler/bubbler set to be the best variation as it stands.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
The main weakness of this weapon is simply the popularity of chargers. This weapon becomes nearly useless just at the present of an enemy charger due to being outranged by any e-liter and scope. Even in range, they can win up close just because their charge time is way shorter and splats in one hit. Honestly, the best use of this weapon is covering turf from a safe location like distance artillery. It's why I believe the sprinkler/bubbler set to be the best variation as it stands.
I'd have to kind of disagree with you on them splatting you up close. It takes far longer to charge their shot for the kill than it does the Hydra. The Hydra doesn't have to fully charge in order to kill. It doesn't even have to be charged half way. Yea, it out ranges it, but ELiter outranges everything, it shouldn't be going toe-to-toe with the Eliter, and even if it is, it shouldn't be running right up on it. Splat bombs are there to force those exact ELiters to move out of their location or be splatted in the process. I still have to disagree with everyone saying the Custom will be better fit. It just doesn't have anything all too nice at its disposal. Bubbler I see better fit on weapons that move quickly, get up close and personal and can abuse that trump card. Not Weapons that take time to charge and are slow moving. I mean, yea, it's a cute little panic button, but it really doesn't fit the Hydra all that well. This will be much like the Heavy Splatling, losing that sub just doesn't seem worth it to me. Tack on the fact Echolocator shows if anyone is coming near you and you've got a pretty great supportive/defensive weapon. I may be wrong, and the Custom Hydra may far surpass the Vanilla. But after the two or three weeks or so of having it, and knowing how it works, I can't say that will be the case.

BackwardCap

The Ink Brush Samurai
NNID
BackwardCap
I'd have to kind of disagree with you on them splatting you up close. It takes far longer to charge their shot for the kill than it does the Hydra. The Hydra doesn't have to fully charge in order to kill. It doesn't even have to be charged half way. Yea, it out ranges it, but ELiter outranges everything, it shouldn't be going toe-to-toe with the Eliter, and even if it is, it shouldn't be running right up on it. Splat bombs are there to force those exact ELiters to move out of their location or be splatted in the process. I still have to disagree with everyone saying the Custom will be better fit. It just doesn't have anything all too nice at its disposal. Bubbler I see better fit on weapons that move quickly, get up close and personal and can abuse that trump card. Not Weapons that take time to charge and are slow moving. I mean, yea, it's a cute little panic button, but it really doesn't fit the Hydra all that well. This will be much like the Heavy Splatling, losing that sub just doesn't seem worth it to me. Tack on the fact Echolocator shows if anyone is coming near you and you've got a pretty great supportive/defensive weapon. I may be wrong, and the Custom Hydra may far surpass the Vanilla. But after the two or three weeks or so of having it, and knowing how it works, I can't say that will be the case.
If you're close enough to splat bomb an Eliter then they'll probably just burst bomb you to death. Kelp & Splat Charger still wins without fully charging up close too and out ranges with scope. As far as Bubbler is concerned, you need a decently ranged weapon to use it effectively in most situations. Offensively, you can turn a trade into a win if you're close enough or out range the enemy. But if you use it defensively when the opponent has the advantage, the best you can do is run away if you can't out range them since it's even easier to be pushed back with shots than Kraken.

With the Hydra being used as a Slosher with insane range (inking turf from safe positions) you're going to be a prime target that the enemy will rush towards. Getting rushed down is going to happen frequently because you can only really "pressure" the opposition between lengthy intervals (unless they have a charger in which case you won't pressure anyone directly anyway) due to the long charge time. This is where Bubbler comes in; since you can out range pretty much any weapon that needs to get close, you can splat them instead of running away which lets you hold your position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom