• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

i hated seeing side openings and corners clean during the turf wars testfire...

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
when somebody starts stabbing you in the back a dozen times and nobody said anything You'll wish they did....
Yeah but there's also so many false alarms. The people spamming the "SPY!" button? Yeah, I never trust that lol. Besides, good team play does a pretty good job of preventing spies. If you get stabbed a dozen times you and/or your team just kinda suck(s).

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
Yeah but there's also so many false alarms. The people spamming the "SPY!" button? Yeah, I never trust that lol. Besides, good team play does a pretty good job of preventing spies. If you get stabbed a dozen times you and/or your team just kinda suck(s).
when I'm the engineer it's up to my team to make sure my stuff doesn't get sapped and i don't get backstabbed....unfortunately that's not always the case as i find myself a lot of the time fending off spies alone

but I'm getting way off topic here with the TF2 Nonsense......without voice chat i would at least know if the fools itching for a fire fight are hyperactive little kids or call of duty dudebro gamers

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
broad strokes in this game are more important than covering every gap and corner

obviously if they're not covering important spots like the alleys around warehouse, that's them being goofy, but if you're getting angry that they're not covering the gaps between ink then that's just a little overboard. getting as much ink in as much area in the smallest amount of time possible is the winning strategy, and covering the other team's ink brings you even greater results since you're putting them down in addition to building yourself up. it decreases the smallest amount of percent you need to win the game. that's also why getting frags are important; if they're not there to cover up your ink, then you can be there to cover up theirs.

once the full game is out and you're back in action using the roller, you should go out and get more unclaimed territory and cover up their ink than covering up all the gaps and corners in your claimed area. you'll get more points and win more matches, i guarantee it.

Geno9999

Inkling
NNID
Geno9999
Being able to ping the map to show teammates where to go like in MMORPGs would be fantastic for alerting people to unclaimed spots.
I'm pretty sure the "C'mon!" emote pings your current location, though I've only played two of the testfires so I might need some more testing about that.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I'm pretty sure the "C'mon!" emote pings your current location, though I've only played two of the testfires so I might need some more testing about that.
anything on the d-pad will ping your location on the gamepad's map. hopefully players will be paying attention to it

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
I notice that people seem to miss out walls quite frequently, even in the big back section in Saltspray Rig, people cover the floors but leave all the crates unpainted sometimes.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
I notice that people seem to miss out walls quite frequently, even in the big back section in Saltspray Rig, people cover the floors but leave all the crates unpainted sometimes.
Painting walls doesn't count towards winning though.

Judd

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GreatLordChrom13
I heard from the Gamexplain stream 2 weeks ago that walls don't count towards the score at all, just the ground. That's why I didn't try to cover walls, but idk, they might have been wrong.

And also, on the main point of the thread, I saw a lot of places clean as well. I went and just painted them over, and I was very surprised no one took the spots yet.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
wtf really? Wasted effort on my part then. Not that there're many walls to cover, still helps that you can squid up to a vantage point through painted walls though.
Yeah covering walls is good for tactical advantage, but doesn't contribute towards winning. I like to paint walls that might be useful for my team to climb but it's not worth it to do it for every single wall.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
this is why voice chat is needed....because some people just aren't gonna read the manual or they are just gonna be a complete moron about the game....

how the hell can i inform them that they left too many spots open without any way to communicate? I'm just one roller i can't fix it all by myself....the opposing team more often than not is gonna ruin my work if my team's playing this poorly
usually the people who won't understand it probably won't give a hoot about hearing you say it over voice chat anyway

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It really depends on the weapon and how thorough the team is. :p

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I don't expect much from a regular game. It may be because of my tf2 background but I expect the absolute minimum from my teammates in a random match.

Like the old expression: "Expect the worse, hope for the best"

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
...Oh.
...Dangit. <.<
So it's useless to ink the walls that you can't swim up to higher pastures?

Like the Walleye Warehouse when you can swim through the grate and fall down, but can't swim up it?
yep, no benefit to that. Except maybe as the most badass ambush ever? I could see an awesome MLG style montage of people popping out of walls and blasting unsuspecting inklings, with air horns and the "wombo combo" screams and green-colored ink having weed photoshopped in and illuminati squids....

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I heard from the Gamexplain stream 2 weeks ago that walls don't count towards the score at all, just the ground.
I believe the original report from the developers stated that technically what counts toward the score in turf war is coverage over "walkable surfaces" meaning anything a character can walk on in humanoid form that ink can stick to. This would mean that the tops of crates and the tops of the partitions in maps like Saltspray rig count toward score. I usually try to cover the tops of the partition to the right when climbing up from the outside west side into the central area of Saltspray Rig, since they can be walked on. I think I'm the only one I've noticed covering that area.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
my guess is the reason walls don't count is half balance and half the algorithm the game uses to determine the victor. it could just be taking a scan of the map on the gamepad once the round is over and calculating how much of the teams ink is visible, and since it's a bird's eye view of the map, only walkable surfaces count. although that'd be a pretty silly way to program the win condition and the developers probably just determine it as walkable surface area that's been arbitrarily covered, it could be a possibility.

either way, if you can walk on something as an inkling, it counts for points. inking walls gives you an advantage in the sense that you can climb up them (which i use a lot on walleye warehouse, especially on the pipes up the elevators and to the crates) but they don't count to the win condition in turf war or any other mode.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, it is just a game and you can't expect much when playing with random players, everyone is going to play the way they think it is better (as they should). If you want to have more well coordinated matches, maybe joining a squad would be a good idea. Plus, Splatoon is a shooter. Even when the focus isn't killing the opponents, it is hard to not feel tempted to shoot them to death.

As for me, I play mostly the Splatoon community's most hated weapon (roller) so I am always covering the clean corners my teammates forget/don't bother painting. And I plan to main the paintbrush if doesn't suck too much, so this is something I will probably do regularly.

And no, voice chat is not needed. In fact, it is a good thing the feature is absent from Splatoon. It would be really annoying to have people bothering you because you forgot to paint some random tiny little spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom