• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

i hated seeing side openings and corners clean during the turf wars testfire...

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
Coating corners makes sense to me, since 1-2% makes a difference in this game. If nobody else is doing, you do it yourself, right? At least that's what I always do irl. I plain on maining the paintbrush, it looks like it can easy sweep up gaps while you're creating a pathway for your team. The whole map is going to be covered in ink within 30 seconds, dashing around painting in the missed spots could add to your teams overall score enough to score a narrow win.

StarHunter789

Pro Squid
NNID
Linestar777
Yeah, and that's one of the great things about Splatoon. If you want to cover every little spot with ink, then go for it since it can help your team win in Turf War. Just make sure you keep your eyes sharp for enemies that might try to take you out when you are 100%-ing the map.

MrRoidley

Full Squid
I agree, particularly in the warehouse, I felt I was the only one that paid attention to those little spaces that indeed can help your team in the long term.
However, the "c'mon" message on the D-pad can be pretty helpful. It's underused at this time though.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
my guess is the reason walls don't count is half balance and half the algorithm the game uses to determine the victor. it could just be taking a scan of the map on the gamepad once the round is over and calculating how much of the teams ink is visible, and since it's a bird's eye view of the map, only walkable surfaces count. although that'd be a pretty silly way to program the win condition and the developers probably just determine it as walkable surface area that's been arbitrarily covered, it could be a possibility.

either way, if you can walk on something as an inkling, it counts for points. inking walls gives you an advantage in the sense that you can climb up them (which i use a lot on walleye warehouse, especially on the pipes up the elevators and to the crates) but they don't count to the win condition in turf war or any other mode.
They probably had to go out of their way to implement it that way. I'm guessing they wanted the win condition to match the bird's eye view map - it'd be weird to look at the map while it's tallying points and see Blue appears to have a lead, only for Judd to give it to Orange because they secretly had all the walls you can't see from that perspective.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
They probably had to go out of their way to implement it that way. I'm guessing they wanted the win condition to match the bird's eye view map - it'd be weird to look at the map while it's tallying points and see Blue appears to have a lead, only for Judd to give it to Orange because they secretly had all the walls you can't see from that perspective.
yeah that's why i think that. they want who the players imagine will win to match what they see on the map, which is important, because if you can't see who's going to win because of a fault of the game's ui, that's a huge problem.

° Moteki

¤MÆL°
NNID
Shoctopus
everyone wanted those high k/d ratio to show off on forums. I'm sure priorities will switch once things get more squad based and the objective is to win. This last game i had I found people actually trying to "spawn" trap us...being a roller it wasn't hard to get out of the chaos but as soon i passed and did my job we had a huge turn over and dominated them. I wanted to yell in chat and comment on how stupid they were but i guess that's one reason why Nintendo doesn't have it on.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
If I was using a Roller, I definitely make sure the corners are covered. It annoys me a tad bit when they're clean.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
my guess is the reason walls don't count is half balance and half the algorithm the game uses to determine the victor. it could just be taking a scan of the map on the gamepad once the round is over and calculating how much of the teams ink is visible, and since it's a bird's eye view of the map, only walkable surfaces count. although that'd be a pretty silly way to program the win condition and the developers probably just determine it as walkable surface area that's been arbitrarily covered, it could be a possibility.
The developers have actually stated it was because they wanted the bird's eye view of the map to decide the winner. Obviously if the walls counted, it could easily end up in a scenario where it looks like one team wins, but the other team does anyway. And because the map with the results is bird's eye view it would be impossible to tell how they ended up winning.

As for the idea of sides and openings, people play how they like. And as others say in time people will learn going out for kills isn't the best method. Not to mention, if the team really is dedicating themselves to kills, you could always get the corners yourself why they get the main business out of the way. It's about adapting. Sometimes you have to do all the dirty work.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
everyone wanted those high k/d ratio to show off on forums. I'm sure priorities will switch once things get more squad based and the objective is to win. This last game i had I found people actually trying to "spawn" trap us...being a roller it wasn't hard to get out of the chaos but as soon i passed and did my job we had a huge turn over and dominated them. I wanted to yell in chat and comment on how stupid they were but i guess that's one reason why Nintendo doesn't have it on.
i just wanted voice chat on so i could understand what was going on with these people?!

so many times i wanted to know if they were just falling asleep or if they were just little kids that just wanted to run away shooting each other

Cottoneyes

Inkling
It's more of a matter of people wanting the best K/D ratio in the game which is nowhere near as important as some people think, but even I'll admit it feels glorious to be dominating people over and over again.

I still believe that it won't be as much of a problem as it is in the test fire since people will actually start getting more into the game and care more about the objectives.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
It's more of a matter of people wanting the best K/D ratio in the game which is nowhere near as important as some people think, but even I'll admit it feels glorious to be dominating people over and over again.

I still believe that it won't be as much of a problem as it is in the test fire since people will actually start getting more into the game and care more about the objectives.
you can have the highest kdr and the most amount of ink coverage in the same match. actually, if youre going out and inking new territory you're likely to get the highest kdr, since you'll be running into other players more

Cottoneyes

Inkling
Yeah you're right about that. Course that's more of my personal preferences coming out since I play more of a supportive style when it comes to shooters like these while I let my team do a lot of the fire fights. Course with all the clashes in this game I can't say I'll rarely run into someone.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
All in all, I believe that only the last 30 seconds of the game can determine a game.

KRBAY

Inkling
NNID
SSBBSonic
As a roller, laying ink is your job. The only combat should be when opponents get in your way.

As a shooter, combat is the main priority; laying ink is for when the coast is clear.

Chargers are a mix of the two; they can snipe enemies from away and then cover their position with ink.

These options can be changed and played in different, creative ways, but I think this is the main idea of the weapon types.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
As a roller, laying ink is your job. The only combat should be when opponents get in your way.

As a shooter, combat is the main priority; laying ink is for when the coast is clear.

Chargers are a mix of the two; they can snipe enemies from away and then cover their position with ink.

These options can be changed and played in different, creative ways, but I think this is the main idea of the weapon types.
I think you have charger and splattershot backwards.... chargers are good at laying ink strategically but not necessarily broadly. I would say good for tactical inking (cutting off opponent paths, making inroads to enemy territory) but primarily for attacking. But splattershot excels much more at general inking.

/someone who used the charger the most in the demo

KRBAY

Inkling
NNID
SSBBSonic
I think you have charger and splattershot backwards.... chargers are good at laying ink strategically but not necessarily broadly. I would say good for tactical inking (cutting off opponent paths, making inroads to enemy territory) but primarily for attacking. But splattershot excels much more at general inking.

/someone who used the charger the most in the demo
All right. I didn't use the charger much in the demo. Thanks for clearing that up.

N7Kopper

Inkling
NNID
N7Kopper
Do it yourself
Do it yourself
Do it yourself
Doooooo iiiiittttt yoooouuurrrseeeelllllffff!

Or, in longer words, no, getting kills does not decide the winner. But it is one of the most important tasks in any gametype - even Turf War. Try winning a game of CTF or KotH in any shooter without killing enemies, even though you get no score for it. If your team's not killing, they ain't winning against any Inklings worth their sea salt. And if your entire team is getting kills and holding centre, go by yourself and grab the sides. The only reason people whine about glory hogs in a game like this is because they wanna be a damn glory hog. If you were fine with not being one, you'd let the glory hogs do their glory hog job while you saunter off and be the support. Those enemy respawn times add up, those special weapon meter denials are an amazing tactical advantage, and pushing the enemy into spawn as a unit is all but GG.

Of course, you can't voice chat to indicate when enemies might be slipping away, or to point out Actual Problems about weapon usage and roles, such as a roller being forced to hold an open area because the Charger is too busy trying to ink things to go and kill some Inklings, or the whole team holding centre while the enemy are inking everything else (of course, K/D lovers would hunt them down in this case) because Nintendo knows of people who like to yell at little kids and then blame toxic dudebro CoD culture when the kids yell back.

Last edited:

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018

I would honestly say Shooters are better at inking than Rollers. Splatdash, splatdash, splatdash. You move faster while covering everything, and you automatically refill ink as you go without having to stop like Rollers have to.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I would honestly say Shooters are better at inking than Rollers. Splatdash, splatdash, splatdash. You move faster while covering everything, and you automatically refill ink as you go without having to stop like Rollers have to.
No, you don't. Splatdashing inks virtually nothing. It's only purpose is movement.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
2 things.
1. painting over enemy territory is worth twice as much as painting unclaimed teritory. It adds to your percentage while simultaneously taking away theirs. I'm sure there is many a situation where this will out weigh claiming unclaimed territory.

2. I'm not calling out the OP specifically, but it bugs me that players refuse to take ownership for their losses. It feels like, in our culture, everything is always someone else's fault.

If there is a spot un-inked ink it yourself.
If you team's front line is failing stop painting the base and go help.
If this guy's is OP use it yourself!
If your weapon is UP stop using it.

Take every opportunity you can to figure out what YOU can do to make the situation better, what you can change, and then make that change. you have no control over other players, especially in a pub, so don't waste your time figuring out ways they can play the game better than they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom