I JUST FOUND THE PERFECT FIX FOR SPLATTERCOLOR SCREEN!!!

NumberOneAries

Your Favorite Octoling's Favorite Octoling
Premium
Pronouns
They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-4468-2079-9300
Ok, so instead of black and white and that weird static noise, I just thought of a much better use. The screen is the opposite teams color (duh), so why not make it so when you go through the screen, all of the ink in your POV is the enemy team's ink color. That way it still does what the wall is intended to do, with some actual stakes behind it because it will be VERY HARD to determine where u can swim, as well as who's friend or foe. As for the sound, we can either just not touch it or make simply quieter/dull with no additional sound filter to it.

I think if they implemented it like this, it would be a much better threat in battle and a lot safer for those harmed by the current design. What do y'all think?

sevenleaf

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
i’m no game designer but i’ve always wondered about a solution like this… or if “all ink is the same color now” is a little too punishing, maybe just a simple swap between your team’s and the opposing team’s colors? that way you’d still be able to tell the difference, theoretically, but you’d have to adjust fast to the enemy color now being the friendly color and vice versa.

i also kinda like the sound (no pun intended) of the solution i’d been hearing people pitch for the audio aspect, where instead of the static-y sounds you start hearing sub and special start-up noises that aren’t there. having the regular game audio get simply muffled instead of the static-y sound it has now seems like a good idea, too. i can’t really say much about how the sound is right now though - i don’t really notice it that much when i get hit by screen, possibly because i don’t typically have game audio going through a headset

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
i’m no game designer but i’ve always wondered about a solution like this… or if “all ink is the same color now” is a little too punishing, maybe just a simple swap between your team’s and the opposing team’s colors? that way you’d still be able to tell the difference, theoretically, but you’d have to adjust fast to the enemy color now being the friendly color and vice versa.

i also kinda like the sound (no pun intended) of the solution i’d been hearing people pitch for the audio aspect, where instead of the static-y sounds you start hearing sub and special start-up noises that aren’t there. having the regular game audio get simply muffled instead of the static-y sound it has now seems like a good idea, too. i can’t really say much about how the sound is right now though - i don’t really notice it that much when i get hit by screen, possibly because i don’t typically have game audio going through a headset
my sister doesn't get your pun

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
I've been having thoughts along these lines as well. Basically the way it's designed now, going through the screen tries to overwhelm the player's senses. But you can have basically the same effect by just reducing the information they receive.

Not sure if the the same color option might be too OP. Someone else suggested having something like the blooper ink effect from Mario Kart (where splotches of ink cover up a lot of your view).

Regarding the sound I agree about lowering the volume but I think the music volume needs to stay the same. Otherwise people could counter the effect by simply turning their volume up.

Last edited:

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
What if it just removed sound entirely except for the muted version of the background music that's already there? That would be even better for denying information, and it would have a kind of uncanny feeling without having disturbing sounds on top.

Yeenom

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
Ok, so instead of black and white and that weird static noise, I just thought of a much better use. The screen is the opposite teams color (duh), so why not make it so when you go through the screen, all of the ink in your POV is the enemy team's ink color. That way it still does what the wall is intended to do, with some actual stakes behind it because it will be VERY HARD to determine where u can swim, as well as who's friend or foe. As for the sound, we can either just not touch it or make simply quieter/dull with no additional sound filter to it.

I think if they implemented it like this, it would be a much better threat in battle and a lot safer for those harmed by the current design. What do y'all think?
it's an interesting change but the quick change in colors could ironically be worse than just a fade to white or black. I think instead of swapping the colors, the ink colors should just slowly fade to grey, sort of like the Switch's built in greyscale filter, while keeping the colors of the stage. It would still take a second to let your eyes anticipate and adjust while keeping the Special's abilities. I think splattercolor screen is just inherently difficult to adjust because epilepsy and sensitivity is a very risky balance and Nintendo should have done multiple tests before putting it in, or at the very least included some accessibility settings specifically for screen. It's more than just something like Bloopers in Mario Kart, it's a very quick and sudden shift in color that is pretty easy to just walk into if you're not directly facing it. Nintendo 100% should have put out polls, used internal testing and thought of multiple concepts before just plopping it into the game and fixing it (A fix that didn't fix the actual issues with the special by the way, changing the color it rapidly shifts to doesn't fix anything it just makes it very very slightly easier to look at) after it already harmed multiple people.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I think the screen staying monochromatic is a good choice. They could fix the sound by having there just... not be any. I think muffling other sounds is enough of an effect on its own. Personally, I'd appreciate it if Screen didn't make everything quite so dark. but I'm not sure how bright you can make it before it starts affecting people negatively.

While making both colours the same would definitely make the special stronger, it would also make it very annoying. There should be some distinction between the ink colours, however subtle.

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
since I've barely seen it in actual combat whenever the enemy uses it I purposefully walk into it because I just like how it grayscales everything, splat color is a mid-to weak special because it just grayscales your screen

Yeenom

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/They
NNID
YeenBeans
Switch Friend Code
SW-6746-0504-4799
since I've barely seen it in actual combat whenever the enemy uses it I purposefully walk into it because I just like how it grayscales everything, splat color is a mid-to weak special because it just grayscales your screen
It actually does a bit of damage. Not enough to kill but a charger could probably combo off of it (You know, if a charger got it).

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
It actually does a bit of damage. Not enough to kill but a charger could probably combo off of it (You know, if a charger got it).
yeah, but I try to make sure it's somewhere where no one is

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
I guess it's worth asking, is there anyone here who has visual or auditory sensitivity issues and so would have a more informed opinion on this subject? I don't think there is anything wrong with the special as it is for most people, the issue is that it affects some people dispositionally in a harmful manner. I think it should be changed but to be honest my own suggestions are kind of theoretical.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I guess it's worth asking, is there anyone here who has visual or auditory sensitivity issues and so would have a more informed opinion on this subject? I don't think there is anything wrong with the special as it is for most people, the issue is that it affects some people dispositionally in a harmful manner. I think it should be changed but to be honest my own suggestions are kind of theoretical.
I don't get headaches or anything, but the sound is a little disturbing and makes it hard to focus on the game sometimes. So I avoid it when I can. If the purpose is to deny information, I don't see why you wouldn't just remove sound entirely

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I don't get headaches or anything, but the sound is a little disturbing and makes it hard to focus on the game sometimes. So I avoid it when I can. If the purpose is to deny information, I don't see why you wouldn't just remove sound entirely
I am very sensitive to loud sudden noises, but I need to have stuff close to max volume because of how much constant yelling I hear on a daily basis

QuagSass

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
Honestly I like the visual effect it has now. It's annoying how on some colour combinations it works better than others, but I'm guessing that it's just a universal variable they're setting to all colour combos. They'd have to look through them all individually to have the ffect be equal, which is a lot of unnecessary work.
Making all ink colour the same would be too strong, since not only do you not know where you can safely go, which is a huge part of helping your gamesense (where should you push, how far, how long etc.), but also it'd make it impossible to tell who your teammates are and where they are. It's really hard tell who is who based on the weapon/outfit/species in the heat of the moment without the team colour there to help.
Also I think the semi-greyscale-effect the special has is an interesting idea in a game so focused on colour-based combat

The sound is really the main issue imo and I personally like the idea of muffling the sound rather than having static noise.
Hallucinations could be cool, but that could potentially be hard to balance.

Dustrix

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/him
I feel like Nintendo should have been working on it till the special had absolutely zero chance of affecting certain people negatively. Yeah, they "patched it" but even so I've heard it still affects some people, so they should have kept working on it. I think just muting or intensely muffling all sound intake would be good for the audio part, and just making both ink colors the same, but making it to where they are still slightly different shades would be good for a visual effect. But the random special and sub sounds that aren't there does intrigue me though, I feel like that's a really good idea, especially for disorienting people in top play since audio ques are such a big part in top-level gameplay, it's not like Nintendos going to do anything about it but it's nice to dream

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I feel like Nintendo should have been working on it till the special had absolutely zero chance of affecting certain people negatively. Yeah, they "patched it" but even so I've heard it still affects some people, so they should have kept working on it. I think just muting or intensely muffling all sound intake would be good for the audio part, and just making both ink colors the same, but making it to where they are still slightly different shades would be good for a visual effect. But the random special and sub sounds that aren't there does intrigue me though, I feel like that's a really good idea, especially for disorienting people in top play since audio ques are such a big part in top-level gameplay, it's not like Nintendos going to do anything about it but it's nice to dream
... (I have nothing to say)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom