• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I Miss the Days When…

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
So those of us who have been playing for a semi-long time, or even not quite so long, may have some memories about the “good ol’ days” of Splatoon play. Here's the spot to post the things that you miss, whether it be the average lower skill of the overall player base, nerfs to your favorite weapon set, or anything really.

For me, I miss the past casual feel of Turf War a while back, where I could run around with my 52. gal pointed up at the sky at a comfortable 45 degree angle, just inking to my heart’s content. If I saw another squid, either one of us could have died, but there really wasn’t all that much pressure either way.

Fast-forward to today’s ranked matches, where in S+ every single player is a board certified demi-god assassin… It’s gotten tough to remember casual Splatoon. The game’s still fun mind you (and it’s also my choice to only play ranked, though I wonder if TW is just as brutal now…), but the casual feeling of the game is something that would be nice to experience again.

It would be comforting to not worry about a butterfly flapping it’s wings across the world, the wind traveling through my air-conditioning vent, and throwing my aim off by a nanosecond which gets me killed. OK, maybe that last sentence was certainly quite a bit over the top, but I’m allowed some joking room right? ;)

jakeoti

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wishsong214
I agree on the casual feel; I really can't just play a match and feel goofy, now. It's just how it goes, though. At least with Splatoon, I've fallen more in love with the game by getting into its depth, though. I haven't played Smash online for a long time because For Glory players started really hurting and it just wasn't as fun as it used to be.

I also miss when Splash Wall was insanely broken and yet no one was using it. Using the .52 gal and thwarting everyone with the Wall was so much fun. But then came the nerfs, and people also learned how to play around them.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Turf is definitely not the casual "have some fun" mode it used to be. But it hasn't really been that way since the huge 2.0 update last August, when the level cap increased. When that happened, suddenly everyone focused far more on winning in turf. So did I, since I wanted to level up too. Ever since then, turf has rarely felt like the super casual mode it was meant to be. And of course, the general skill of the player base has only risen, also being the big reason why the game is far less forgiving.

Since they are gone now, it's not something I miss anymore, but splatfests at some point became much less fun to play compared to the older ones. Maybe I just got tired of the grind, or maybe the new format bugged me, but this started before the big change to fests had occurred. But again, those are gone, so I have nothing to complain about anymore. Ironically enough, my experience in the final fest was super positive.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Turf was still casual and fun enough for me to not have to constantly be on the defensive every second of every match just a few months ago. Incorporating the earning of Snails into it amped up the aggressiveness quite a bit, imho. That and the matchmaker being blackout drunk doesn't help either.

I miss having people my level, both numerically and in skill, consistently to play with. Nowadays the more wins I manage to get, the worse the fight gets if I stay in the lobby.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Turf is definitely not the casual "have some fun" mode it used to be. But it hasn't really been that way since the huge 2.0 update last August, when the level cap increased. When that happened, suddenly everyone focused far more on winning in turf. So did I, since I wanted to level up too. Ever since then, turf has rarely felt like the super casual mode it was meant to be. And of course, the general skill of the player base has only risen, also being the big reason why the game is far less forgiving.

Since they are gone now, it's not something I miss anymore, but splatfests at some point became much less fun to play compared to the older ones. Maybe I just got tired of the grind, or maybe the new format bugged me, but this started before the big change to fests had occurred. But again, those are gone, so I have nothing to complain about anymore. Ironically enough, my experience in the final fest was super positive.
I very much feel the same way. It was like more people played to have fun, like we're supposed to.

I miss the Octoling hype days. For a while even though slim there was the 'so there is a chance??' feel that octolings were gonna show up.
Oh boy do I miss those. I was like 98% sure we were going to get them. :rolleyes:

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
To be frank though Splatoon is a competitive game--it was always destined to become a tight unforgiving competition for the top. The fact that the overall skill of the player base has reached what it has is testament to the game succeeding in fulfilling its purpose. It's valid to miss the days when the competition wasn't as heated, but we ought to be accepting of the fact that it being more competitive now is a good thing for the longevity and reputation of the series.

The hype and suspense of knowing there were more stages to come was the most amazing for me. When nothing was totally out of the question regarding content to come (including Octolings), when we could speculate about single player expansion modes, possibilities of new weapon classes, etc.

I still remember when Moray Towers came out and I was just in a state of "wTF" because it was the most bizarre stage design. It still is, but now I'm not so much in awe of its uniqueness as I am just frustrated most of the time that its in rotation. lol

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Strangely, there's not a lot that I miss. I don't miss the squid party legions, I don't miss the old Turf version of Moray Towers, and I don't miss jet squelchers being half as mobile as they are now :P I much prefer things as they are.

SurrealSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
I kinda miss the days where Splatoon was barely out and everyone kind of just ran around trying to figure out how to play good (including me). It didn´t matte rif you were bad; everyone else was bad too! (with a few exceptions, of course.)
All the times I saw two rollers just bump into and splat each other... good times, man. Of course, you won´t be seeing that kind o fthings happen anymore. Which is not a bad thing, but still, I found it hilarious. And all of the hype for the first Splatfests and the big August update last year was great too, or when some people hacked the games to find things not released yet and everyone discussed about what this mysterious Hydra Splatling could possibly be.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
All the times I saw two rollers just bump into and splat each other... good times, man. Of course, you won´t be seeing that kind o fthings happen anymore. Which is not a bad thing, but still, I found it hilarious.
Oh yes! That was absolutely hilarious! It always made me laugh!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I miss the times where Tentateks and E-Liters were all sorts of OP. Or maybe not...

The biggest thing i miss is the old Underpass. Small maps are underrated, imho

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I miss the days when the thought of a scoped version of an e-liter 3k was just a running gag among my friends. I'm not sure if we jinxed it or if it was jinxed from the start :confused:

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
To be frank though Splatoon is a competitive game--it was always destined to become a tight unforgiving competition for the top. The fact that the overall skill of the player base has reached what it has is testament to the game succeeding in fulfilling its purpose. It's valid to miss the days when the competition wasn't as heated, but we ought to be accepting of the fact that it being more competitive now is a good thing for the longevity and reputation of the series.
This is a really great point, I agree 100%

Strangely, there's not a lot that I miss. I don't miss the squid party legions, I don't miss the old Turf version of Moray Towers, and I don't miss jet squelchers being half as mobile as they are now :p I much prefer things as they are.
Ha ha, I might be the luckiest squid alive, but after too many matches to count, I can still count the number of squid party matches I've run into on one hand. Sorry for your troubles mate. ;)

About missing... I do miss burst bombs pre-nerf in regards of ink consumption. The nerf was definitely justified, but spamming burst bombs to get a kill was fun, though OP. It's good that Nintendo decided on the nerf.

To the elder squids here, I heard that at some time in the past blasters could get a 1 shot kill on a non-direct hit if they stacked enough strength. If that was ever true, I miss it without ever having experienced it. I love my blasters, but a 1HKO on a non-direct hit would simply not be fair.

Last edited:

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
To the elder squids here, I heard that at some time in the past blasters could get a 1 shot kill on a non-direct hit if they stacked enough strength. If that was ever true, I miss it without ever having experienced it. I love my blasters, but a 1HKO on a non-direct hit would simply not be fair.
Wuhz-huh? Blasted squids bothering me whenever I try to sit down to a nice bowl of prune whip.

BEHOLD, the glory days, or whatever.

The day.... the rooooollers

died.

And we were singing:
Byyyyyyyye bye, callie and marie pie, rolled my power to the tower but the power was gone.
And good dynamo rollers equippin' damage up, singin'-
HA! ISTILLGETNOINKKILLSSCRUBLORDS!!!GETONMYLEVELLAWL!!

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
There it is....! Nerfing my omnipotent blaster power down to that of a mere mortal? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Oh wow, it's been so long I forgot about how utterly ridiculous blasters used to be. Despite my missing certain stuff about early Splatoon, I love the current balance to the game as of right now. I feel most weapon types are viable now, and the old meta weapons have been tweaked to a level playing field.

And modern TW Moray Towers is just so fun. I think I prefer modern Underpass too, but it would be nice to get the old one back for a little bit. I think the redesign was for the best though, as it helped end the easy spawn camping of the original.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Oh wow, it's been so long I forgot about how utterly ridiculous blasters used to be. Despite my missing certain stuff about early Splatoon, I love the current balance to the game as of right now. I feel most weapon types are viable now, and the old meta weapons have been tweaked to a level playing field.

And modern TW Moray Towers is just so fun. I think I prefer modern Underpass too, but it would be nice to get the old one back for a little bit. I think the redesign was for the best though, as it helped end the easy spawn camping of the original.
If I remember right the Luna was able to get 1-shot splats with a near miss even with no Damage Ups o_O

Also, the new Urchin Underpass didn't really get rid of the spawn camping; it just made it harder to do (nowadays it tends to just end up in a stalemate and the entrance of the base, but Kraken help you if the enemy pushes through [aka, I miss the Urchin Underpass base tree :(])

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom