• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I Miss the Days When…

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I missed when almost everyone wore the gas mask.
Oh yeah, I remember that. I remember for a time that was signature "jerk/tryhard" piece of clothing. No sure why it got that reputation. I never really used it, but remember it used to be very common. Tenacity must have changed since then to make it less appealing, and less common.

I have to say, I'm surprised by how few 96 Gal Decos I see these days. Unlike other badly nerfed weapons (looking at you dynamos) the dedicated users kinda dropped the gal. I can say I don't miss their ever present usage in all the modes. I still see one from time to time in ranked, but still very few. That's one chapter of Splatoon history I am okay with leaving in the dust. ;)

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I miss weapon release days. You'd get team comps with 3-4 bamboozlers or hydras or whatever, a unique experience for solo queuers like myself.
That's the reason why I stayed away from Splatoon for a day or two when they released any E-liter variant ;)

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I miss weapon release days. You'd get team comps with 3-4 bamboozlers or hydras or whatever, a unique experience for solo queuers like myself.
August update was a magical time, actually wound up in an all bucket room in turf wars that first evening.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I have to say, I'm surprised by how few 96 Gal Decos I see these days. Unlike other badly nerfed weapons (looking at you dynamos) the dedicated users kinda dropped the gal. I can say I don't miss their ever present usage in all the modes. I still see one from time to time in ranked, but still very few. That's one chapter of Splatoon history I am okay with leaving in the dust. ;)
I narrowly avoided this salt train. I was hitting like B+/A- when the the 2.7.0? and Sheldon's Picks double whammy swung in, so I didn't get the full "Gallons of Salt" experience. *wipes sweat from brow* whew!

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Oh yeah, I remember that. I remember for a time that was signature "jerk/tryhard" piece of clothing. No sure why it got that reputation. I never really used it, but remember it used to be very common. Tenacity must have changed since then to make it less appealing, and less common.

You know, I was a bit surprised by the big drop off with the .96. I mean, yeah, the damage got nerfed, but the accuracy was increased…right? I still find the .96 to be a delightful weapon.

In other news, I obviously miss Splat Fests, but more so the Splat Fests before they changed the matchmaking to reflect your “Splat Fest power”. I mean, isn’t the idea of a festival to be a day of celebration? Forcing players to engage in Turf War death matches didn’t seem like much of a celebration to me… The night stages with the music was just sooo awesome, more so when you could just enjoy yourself without worrying about your “power”. Ah…the good ol’ days...

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I narrowly avoided this salt train. I was hitting like B+/A- when the the 2.7.0? and Sheldon's Picks double whammy swung in, so I didn't get the full "Gallons of Salt" experience. *wipes sweat from brow* whew!
You lucky ducky! Those things used to be my bane in lots of Splatzones matches because the walls and kraken combo. Especially if the enemy team had more than one AND an E liter. It rarely ended well for me.

I mean, isn’t the idea of a festival to be a day of celebration? Forcing players to engage in Turf War death matches didn’t seem like much of a celebration to me… The night stages with the music was just sooo awesome, more so when you could just enjoy yourself without worrying about your “power”. Ah…the good ol’ days...
Agreed, but at the same time, the original set up was pretty unfair to new players too. It's like what happens when you throw a level 8 in with a lobby of 50s, the team with the 8 will likely lose. And in Splatfest, their teammates would just abandon them, and eventually the only teams they would keep are the other low level people. Even if I had an easier time back in those splatfests, I get that it would suck for others. It's just a shame that the Splatfest Power format made those insufferable death matches are you called them. If you didn't play seriously, you were screwed. Basically, there was no happy medium when it came to Splatfest, which is why I'm not too torn up about it ending.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
I dunno, I liked the changes they made to the Splatfest system, and I'm speaking as a casual player here. From what I could tell, the only people forced into endless deathmatches were the higher-rank players...who'd been making Splatfest a series of endless and extremely frustrating deathmatches for the players on my level (unranked/C-) up until that point. Especially when it came to the Pokemon 'fest. That three-ring thunderdome just about made me quit playing, period. The tweaks pretty well ensured those of us in the shallow end got to play with players like ourselves, and Splatfest was tolerable and even fun again...for me, at least.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
I dunno, I liked the changes they made to the Splatfest system, and I'm speaking as a casual player here. From what I could tell, the only people forced into endless deathmatches were the higher-rank players...who'd been making Splatfest a series of endless and extremely frustrating deathmatches for the players on my level (unranked/C-) up until that point. Especially when it came to the Pokemon 'fest. That three-ring thunderdome just about made me quit playing, period. The tweaks pretty well ensured those of us in the shallow end got to play with players like ourselves, and Splatfest was tolerable and even fun again...for me, at least.
I really appreciate your view, Slushious. In honesty, I assumed "great" players (whoever they are) would have been equally distributed between teams in Splat Fests before the whole "power" thing. If not, that is super unfair, which is what @Hero of Lime was referring to. If Nintendo's change to the system was an improvement for the overall community, I'm OK with that.

I still wish there was somewhere I could go without having to be a death crazed maniac...

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
I really appreciate your view, Slushious. In honesty, I assumed "great" players (whoever they are) would have been equally distributed between teams in Splat Fests before the whole "power" thing. If not, that is super unfair, which is what @Hero of Lime was referring to. If Nintendo's change to the system was an improvement for the overall community, I'm OK with that.

I still wish there was somewhere I could go without having to be a death crazed maniac...
Play with me sometime, I'm getting back into pacifist Turf and controlling my urges to stalk enemy snipers :'D

Thanks :) Mind you I'm not 100% for sure, because sploon's matchmaking system remains one of the greatest mysteries of the universe to me in any mode, but it seemed like Splatfest prior to the power-matching system was just as totally random and unbalanced as regular Turf's is. We generally saw more of the hardcore Rankers during Splatfest - because snails, of course - and it'd routinely throw high-level players in with low-levels, both number and skillwise.

I don't know what changed the overall vibe of the event from festival/party to WIN AT ALL COSTS BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, but I noticed it taking a turn in February of this year with the aforementioned Pokemon 'fest. That one in particular was three hours of my teams getting curbstomped into oblivion in almost every single match, right from the start. Past/Future (my first 'fest) had been a tough challenge, but enjoyable - Red/Blue was just a nightmare through and through. The Power matching system started with Snowman/Sandcastle and I was really apprehensive about that one, but...it turned out to be more like Past/Future. The matches got a lot closer and the challenge was harder as I moved up in Power, but it never became anything migraine-inducing. IIRC I topped out around like 1300 in that one and noticed the skill jump at around 1200. My roommate, who did Rank at the time, started higher than I did and had a much harder time (I think she was in the As then). Most of the frustration I saw from the reports on Tumblr about it came from S-rankers having to deal with each other, when previously they'd been able to beat up on lower-level teams with no problems.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
In other news, I obviously miss Splat Fests, but more so the Splat Fests before they changed the matchmaking to reflect your “Splat Fest power”. I mean, isn’t the idea of a festival to be a day of celebration? Forcing players to engage in Turf War death matches didn’t seem like much of a celebration to me… The night stages with the music was just sooo awesome, more so when you could just enjoy yourself without worrying about your “power”. Ah…the good ol’ days...
To be honest, that matchmaking was necessary to make Splatfests less one-sided, and it's kinda sad that it took them so long to do it properly. Before that change the matchmaking was so bad that I pretty much quit Splatoon for quite a while due to how unbalanced a lot of the matches were (only coming back due to the "final splatfest" hype, and to hopefully end on a good note), and the fact that people just tried to avoid being on the losing teams only made the problem as bad as it could get. But the last splatfest was pretty much a Godsend for me since I very rarely saw completely one-sided matches, with most of them being decently challenging without being overly stressful or anti-climatic. Not only that, but situations that usually made me snap didn't bother me as much since I was actually having fun for once in a very long time (I can't even remember what was the theme of the last Splatfest I legitimately enjoyed before that one).

If anything I wish they had implemented that system earlier, maybe then I wouldn't have broken my gamepad twice out of sheer frustration (another reason why I quit Splatoon back then) :oops:

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I missed when almost everyone wore the gas mask.
I've had Splatoon since the very first day tower control came out and I don't ever remember any gas mask related trends. Was this something that happened in June I didn't know about?

As much as I didn't like the new splatfest power system, I admit this probably should've been done since the first splatfest. Of course people weren't crazy killing machines the first splatfest like they are now, but I noticed myself destroying the opponent team often in splatfest turf wars sometime after I reached level 50 to the point where it definitely was not fun for anyone on the opposing team. I even got a friend request from someone before with an extremely salty message on the day of the Pokémon Red vs. Blue Splatfest. I often say I don't enjoy playing competitively, because I really do play this game more for fun than anything. But the way I play tends to make me look like a competitive player. After splatfest power changed the S+ initial splatfest power from 1600 to 1700, I didn't even think about ranking up from S to S+ until sometime after splatfests ended in July. I'd imagine the S+ splatfest lobbies are a bit more crazy than the S lobbies and I wanted to have at least a little fun in splatfest without the battles getting too intense. I've heard a few people would even rank down just to have more casual turf wars during the splatfest. I really miss when everyone was still new to this, because all these crazy players made splatfests something I never wanted them to be. They basically made them ranked turf wars. I can understand if they're going to pair us with players around the same rank, but adding the splatfest power feature in along with that puts unnecessary pressure on me to win that I don't like. I'd be happy with them just bringing the vibe meter back but still using our ranks to determine who we get matched with in the lobby.

SurrealSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
Agreed, but at the same time, the original set up was pretty unfair to new players too. It's like what happens when you throw a level 8 in with a lobby of 50s, the team with the 8 will likely lose. And in Splatfest, their teammates would just abandon them, and eventually the only teams they would keep are the other low level people. Even if I had an easier time back in those splatfests, I get that it would suck for others. It's just a shame that the Splatfest Power format made those insufferable death matches are you called them. If you didn't play seriously, you were screwed. Basically, there was no happy medium when it came to Splatfest, which is why I'm not too torn up about it ending.
Well, I agree with the change they made to the Splatfest system. Before Splatfest Power was a thing, I´d regularly be thrown into matches with players which I had an incredibly easy time defeating. It was quite obvious they didn´t have a lot of experience in the game, and I already was in the higher ranks back then, so "Splatfest" pretty much turned into a "Splat all the noobs Fest" for me. Spawncamping the enemy every game was funny at first, but then it got pretty boring and I felt bad for the enemy team, once even so much that I let them win a match.
I actually didn´t feel like Splatfest turned into "ranked Turf Wars" after the Splatfest Power system was introduced. I just played the game like I always did, luckily with opponents around my skill and experience level.
So, I don´t really miss the days before Splatfest Power. Too bad Splatfests are over now... where will I get Super Sea Snails?

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Well, I agree with the change they made to the Splatfest system. Before Splatfest Power was a thing, I´d regularly be thrown into matches with players which I had an incredibly easy time defeating. It was quite obvious they didn´t have a lot of experience in the game, and I already was in the higher ranks back then, so "Splatfest" pretty much turned into a "Splat all the noobs Fest" for me. Spawncamping the enemy every game was funny at first, but then it got pretty boring and I felt bad for the enemy team, once even so much that I let them win a match.
I actually didn´t feel like Splatfest turned into "ranked Turf Wars" after the Splatfest Power system was introduced. I just played the game like I always did, luckily with opponents around my skill and experience level.
So, I don´t really miss the days before Splatfest Power. Too bad Splatfests are over now... where will I get Super Sea Snails?
Splatfest Power definitely turned Splatfests into Ranked Turf, especially at S/S+ level. If everyone is ranked S/S+ and generally only play Ranked then they'll focus more on splats than turfing and pick weapons accordingly (I saw more Lunas, Tentateks, SSPros, Dynamos and Chargers with Power being introduced). I'll agree that it was a necessary change, and more likely that some of the complainers weren't happy that they couldn't splat the squid babies (<Level 20, C/B ranks, Kids etc.). The other people complaining were probably like me in the sense that we couldn't just Turf in most matches and we were forced to pick the same weapons as Ranked so we wouldn't get splatted every few seconds. My favourite Splatfest with Power was World Tour vs Space Adventure (I was on Space Adventure) as the matches were more like the old Splatfest, just mostly Turf with some intense matches thrown in (it was also the only time I got onto the Top 200 list). As for Sea Snails, we've been getting them from Judd ever since the Callie vs Marie Splatfest concluded. Every 30 wins, whether it's Turf or Ranked (they stack) will get you a snail from Judd, and they stack, so you could win 300 matches over a week, speak to Judd and get 10 Snails off him. They also changed the win bonus in Turf to 1000p from 300p, so earning cash for rerolls is easier (even though you earn way more at S/S+). I only miss the night maps, it's a shame you get banned for hacking them in (they can detect it and ban you despite only affecting you), but overall, Splatfests need to stay a thing of the past, they really encouraged excessive gaming when they were on (whether people were trying to get the +99.5 Vibe or grinding Splatfest Power with the new system) and they should do something different with a successor, I liked the concept of Splatfest, but lasting 24hrs with only Turf was not fun and they could tweak it or create a better mechanic in Splatoon 2.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
I really miss when everyone was still new to this, because all these crazy players made splatfests something I never wanted them to be. They basically made them ranked turf wars. I can understand if they're going to pair us with players around the same rank, but adding the splatfest power feature in along with that puts unnecessary pressure on me to win that I don't like.
I couldn't agree more.

Since it's clear from several earlier posts that the change made splatfest more enjoyable for lower ranked/casual players, I certainly understand and am OK with it. Based on your post, it honestly just sounds like our mindset of approaching splatfest was a bit different. I'm a S+/rank only player, and prior to the "power" system I kinda looked at splatfest as a "turn off your brain, enjoy the lights and music, and casually paint the map time." It basically was a nice break from ranked where I didn't need to take things seriously, and I didn't. I never tried to annihilate the other team, or spawn camp anyone. I just pointed my gun up at a comfortable angle, and trotted around firing away as a care free "inker" for the most part.

Then "power" came along... Fine, put me with all S+s, that's totally reasonable and I'm used to it. What changed though is that my comrades didn't see splafest like I did. They wanted to come out and kick the other team's --- into the dirt, period. That's OK too, I understand that my view on splafest doesn't have any more validity than theirs. Still, it forced me to play serious, which is why I missed the old system. "Power" for me, turned a "festival" into a competition, which resulted in me coming away with "post traumatic splatfest disorder" on at least one fest in particular.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@Mr. 9, though in the A grades when I participated in splatfests, my feelings are likewise.

When the splatfest power kicked in and especially when I started hitting A+, I had to fight seriously if I ever wanted to goof off and mindlessly ink like a newbie. Everyone often wanted to throwdown as if it were a normal ranked session or this was a tourney--because during a splatfests you ran into players with the sort of skill level and play I hardly ever saw in solo rank.

May the sequel find some mythical balance between festival and competition in the next version of splatfests.

Until then I'll continue to miss the days when I could just "ink then fight" in turf war instead of "fight then ink maybe never".

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I miss the days when we couldn't wait for the next weapon to be announced :( (although after the Heavy Splatlings came around I didn't really care much about anything else :oops: [at least until the Heavy Splatling Remix became a thing :scared:])

NNID
m0nkeyd0g
Honestly what I miss most right now is the game itself haha. For whatever reason, I kind of took a break from the game for most of the spring and summer (this is my first post on here since april I think), and ended up just playing a couple random times here and there. Now, I've been at university for about five weeks and I've been missing the game so much! My roommate is into gaming, so seeing him doing that has also made me want to play splatoon even more haha.

But more in line with what others are saying, I definitely also miss the game as it was from like the second month to the fifth month I was playing. So not when I was a complete noob, but the time when I was rapidly progressing, and the game had more of an allure than it does now. Also, as others have said, the average skill level was definitely a little lower back then, which obviously made the game a bit more fun.

But honestly right now all I want is to play the game!:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom