• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I Really Hope 'Splatdashing' Isn't An Effective Strategy.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
This "AT" is not effective for the team as a whole either. It will literally only be useful for yourself in Turf war. plus, if you are that worried about the conservation of your ink, just get the right perks.

mrp0p0

Inkling
It looks so dumb. No point in all the effort it takes to pull it off.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Honestly when I first read splatdashing I thought it meant using the charger and shooting a long line of ink in front of you, swimming down it and jumping out while charging another shot to fall into and continue the swim. As far as I can tell it lets you move decently fast and let me get into the opposing teams faces faster to distract them

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It seems pretty effective to me honestly, it's just very situational.

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
This is 'Splatdashing.' Supposedly it makes you move a little faster and spread ink while being harder to hit. It doesn't look very useful, but just in case it is...

I hope it doesn't see the light of day in the full version. I get that everyone's going to go on an advanced tech witch-hunt the same way they have since Brawl was released, but let's learn how to play the game properly before trying to find 'unintended competitive mechanics' eh? Have fun with the game before break it. You'll be better for it in the long run.

Do people agree/disagree with this sentiment? Would you rather this be a game where unusual ideas and mechanics like this are required to win, or one where shooting and strategy are more important?
How is this an unintended competitive mechanic? All you're doing is shooting ink and squiding without jumping.

I fail to see how this is like...an exploit or anything. It's just quick movement.

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
Do people agree/disagree with this sentiment? Would you rather this be a game where unusual ideas and mechanics like this are required to win, or one where shooting and strategy are more important?
I have my doubts that this particular piece of tech will be useul, but in general I'd like a game where unusual ideas and mechanics AND shooting and strategy are required to win. There's no reason that we can't have both, though I understand the worry over exploits becoming the focal point of competitive play.

Personal story time: I'm pretty happy where Smash 4 is headed with regards to advanced tech. Of course, time will tell, but I really like the fact that some advanced tech was either removed completely (wave dashing) or built directly into specific moves (L-cancelling aerials). It allowed me to focus more on the strategy of fighting my opponents. Top level Melee got more and more out of my reach as more tech got discovered that I didn't have time to practice. But you know what? I was ok with it. The people I was playing with weren't playing at that level, so I didn't need to.

I want to be competitive with Splatoon but if I'll be ok with myself if I can't compete at A+ levels in Ranked (and beyond, at tournaments).

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't know. That is how some people have fun. They look for things to test their skills that will give them an edge. I'm not about to tell them to not do the thing that brings them enjoyment in a game so that I can have more fun.
I will, but only if what they are doing interfere with my way of having fun (read: playing the game it is intended). Like those awful "techs" in Smash do. Why should I silence myself? That is not how I live my life. But I have no reasons to worry yet.
Also, as a sidenote, I don't really understand why some people are so strongly "anti-tech", no matter what that tech is. If you don't like a technique then just don't use it, there's no need to get your panties twisted, especially when we don't even know how it's going to affect the meta in the long run.
Yeah! Don't use it and lose every match! How about everyone not use "techs" instead? It is one thing to find strategies and stuff, but looking for exploits and "techs" in the game is just awful.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I will, but only if what they are doing interfere with my way of having fun (read: playing the game it is intended). Like those awful "techs" in Smash do. Why should I silence myself? That is not how I live my life. But I have no reasons to worry yet.

Yeah! Don't use it and lose every match! How about everyone not use "techs" instead? It is one thing to find strategies and stuff, but looking for exploits and "techs" in the game is just awful.
"Tech" isn't necessarily an exploit. And what's wrong with exploits?

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass

Reila I can see the general viewpoint you have but for a "technique" like this it barely even applies. You can enjoy the game how you like but it's a two-way street. I'm not sure how finding and using different techniques is a bad thing, the only thing barring them from anyone else is taking the initiative to learn what it's about. They, over time, also become the strategy of the game, which you identified as being fine.
If it hampers your ability to have fun then I say that's too bad for you, unfortunately. This is why players usually play people of their own skill level, and those that don't get branded pub stompers (which is funny but truly unfair for the lesser team...it's playing professional baseball against little league).

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
"Tech" isn't necessarily an exploit. And what's wrong with exploits?
Of course not, but it often is. A game isn't developed with exploits in mind and the community forcing players to learn exploits in order to able to compete isn't a good thing, the way I see it. If you like exploits, cool. I don't.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Of course not, but it often is. A game isn't developed with exploits in mind and the community forcing players to learn exploits in order to able to compete isn't a good thing, the way I see it. If you like exploits, cool. I don't.
You can't really blame the community for the developer leaving exploits in the game.

Plus, there doesn't seem to be any exploits in the game as of right now. Everything is pretty much within the fair realm of squid movement and paint placement.

Life

Senior Squid
I'm gonna be a little harsh here, don't take it personally.

ITT: people who expect to put no effort into getting good at a game and yet still compete with people who do

There is nothing separating "advanced techniques" from anything else you can do in a game. Whether a specific technique is good for a game or not, immediately hating on it because somebody called it "advanced" is silly. And no matter what, if you're being a strategic dunce, you're going to lose no matter how technical you, your opponent, or the game is.

Splatdashing (needs a better name) doesn't look particularly helpful, unless your goal is to lay ink while staying erratically mobile--but even then it's not like you're that much safer with it, it just forces your opponents to aim better. And it hardly qualifies as an AT if difficulty of execution is your concern: looks as easy as wobbling from Melee with drastically smaller gameplay implications (for the uninitiated, that's an Ice Climbers infinite performed by simply holding the control stick and then pressing A at a specific tempo, it's not particularly difficult and one top ICs player doesn't even usually bother with it 'cause he prefers to style).

If you lose at a video game, techskill is rarely the sole reason for it. And if your objective is to win, arbitrarily limiting the things you're going to do is self-sabotage. If your objective is to have fun regardless of winning and losing, and using certain tactics is not fun, then by all means play that way, but don't complain when you lose.

If your goal is to win AND do it your way, well, you're either going to have to get really good at the game in other ways, or you're going to have to decide which of those two things is more important to you.

Aerodrome

God of Thunder
I think ATs and exploits are just bad game design. ATs often require a specific button input, but why should the games outcome be decided based on who can push buttons "better"?

I just wanna shoot things, man.

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Honestly I wish players would stop arguing "intention" when it comes to advanced tech. What the developers intended matters very little outside of setting up the world the players play in and hacking. A tactic being intended or not means almost nothing. Smash Bros Brawl had tripping as an intended mechanic. Being intended does not make something good. Combos, jump cancels, and several other now commonplace features of fighters now were once unintentional bugs. Being unintended does not make it bad.
Just using fighters and Smash as an example

And honestly most developers WANT players to go in and use everything they can within the game to their advantage. They want people to explore different ways to play and get better at their games, regardless if it was the way they intended or not.

Life

Senior Squid
I think ATs and exploits are just bad game design. ATs often require a specific button input, but why should the games outcome be decided based on who can push buttons "better"?

I just wanna shoot things, man.
um, while I'm here, can I just

exploits are just bad game design
Exploits are specifically NOT part of game design, as they're just unintentional uses for intended mechanics.

And while there's a pretty decent argument to be made against excessive difficulty of execution in games, there are always going to be winners and people who are better at winning regardless of the difficulty of doing something. Besides, have you ever tried to learn any "advanced" techniques? A lot of them are actually not particularly difficult. See wavedashing.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You can't really blame the community for the developer leaving exploits in the game.

Plus, there doesn't seem to be any exploits in the game as of right now. Everything is pretty much within the fair realm of squid movement and paint placement.
And you (not you you, you as in the people who like exploits in general) can't blame others for wanting the game to be played without exploiting mechanics. Also, I wouldn't really say it is developer's fault for leaving exploits in the game. It is not like they leave them intentionally.

Yes, hence why I said I have nothing to worry about yet.

Aerodrome

God of Thunder
um, while I'm here, can I just

Exploits are specifically NOT part of game design, as they're just unintentional uses for intended mechanics.

And while there's a pretty decent argument to be made against excessive difficulty of execution in games, there are always going to be winners and people who are better at winning regardless of the difficulty of doing something. Besides, have you ever tried to learn any "advanced" techniques? A lot of them are actually not particularly difficult. See wavedashing.
I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill, you know what I meant. :p

Also I can barely short hop with Fox let alone Wavedash! I don't play Melee though, so you might be better off pulling some Brawl or Smash 4 examples.

Perfect Pivoting

iunno.

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
Advanced tech doesn't always mean that it's bad design but that doesn't mean that advanced tech can never be bad design.

I'm of the opinion that kara-throwing in fighting games is bad design. The reason it's bad design is because it's a mechanic that adds complexity with no gain in depth in gameplay or decision making. It is strictly better for the player to do once they've learned it, so they should just do it every time they want to throw. This "advanced technique" is helpful, but it requires no choice or risk once mastered. The developers could've just increased the throw range on that individual character and achieved the same thing without having a difficult "advanced technique."

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
By the way, contrary to what a poster above believes, someone not wanting a game to be filled with exploits doesn't mean this someone doesn't want to put effort into getting better at said game. I want to git gud and compete in Splatoon, but at the same time, I hope no one find crazy mechanic exploits like the Smash Bros ones. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

As I might have said before, strategies making use of the actual game mechanics are perfectly fine by me and I encourage all Splatoon players to try and developer their own strategies as well as learn strategies developed by others. That helps evolving both the community and the "metagame". But exploits? Nope, those can only hurt and divide the playerbase. Still, there are no known exploits in Splatoon yet, so discussing this is a little bit premature. Although by the time an exploit is found (if it is ever found), it will be too late for any discussions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom