• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I Really Hope 'Splatdashing' Isn't An Effective Strategy.

Life

Senior Squid
I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill, you know what I meant. :p

Also I can barely short hop with Fox let alone Wavedash! I don't play Melee though, so you might be better off pulling some Brawl or Smash 4 examples.

Perfect Pivoting

iunno.
Short hopping with Fox is actually much harder than wavedashing. I could teach you how to wavedash in ten minutes, of which seven would be spent blowing the dust off your 'cube, but I still can't consistently nail Fox's short hop, which is pretty much the main reason I don't play him LOL. (Fun fact, Melee supposedly suffers from a minor bug where short hopping is one frame more difficult than it was intended to be, as in you need to let go of the button sooner than was intended.)

If you're curious, the way I was taught was to just jump into the air and then airdodge diagonally down at your leisure. Those are the sole inputs needed to wavedash. When you're comfortable, input the airdodge sooner and sooner until you just get the slide without appearing to leave the ground. Voila, you're wavedashing!

The closest Brawl/WiiU example I can think of is Dedede's chaingrabs. Super easy due to the buffering system (at the end of any laggy animation such as an attack, you can input things slightly earlier than the lag ends and they'll execute on the next frame available), almost certainly unintentional, pretty unfortunate game design as well (Brawl had a host of issues, not that it wasn't fun in its heyday). Brawl actually had a lot of technical difficulty to it (stuff like DACUS and momentum canceling and ICs stuff and and and...), it's just that little of that tech had to do with movement and character control, which is the main appeal of Melee to its most diehard fans AFAICT.

Oh, there is one Brawl character with some pretty easy ATs: Sonic. He was my main back in the day! ^_^ Lots of casual players didn't know you could shield out of charging sideB (probably a little better known nowadays as that one was kept in WiiU where he's more popular) or shield out of landing with aerial downB (removed from WiiU) or get a huge forward leap called a "spinshot" by jumping out of downB as soon as you released it (not sure of its status in WiiU). I think a lot of casual players did figure out you could Homing Attack faster by hitting the button again, but that also seems kinda like an AT to me.

I don't know many WiiU ATs. I remember there being one for Shulk where you could start selecting a Monado Art, do an aerial attack with landing lag, and when the Monado Art activated Shulk would go into the Art thus cutting the lag short.

And of course there's Directional Influence, which is certainly an AT but absolutely vital to the health and design of the game.

---------------

@Reila Do you want to continue talking about this?

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
Splatdashing isn't that hard to pull off. Plus not every weapon can do it, so it won't be like wavedashing where everybody is doing it, Rollers and Chargers will be moving around normally. It adds a little more mechanical skill, but if you have better planning or overall skill you won't lose just because you didn't splatdash. Splatdashing just gets you to an important place faster, you can still lose control of the important place if you splatdash but your aim is terrible. This is literally just playing around with the base mechanics, it doesn't require knowledge of hitboxes, frame data, hidden stats the game doesn't tell you about for some bizarre reason, or any other highly technical stuff. The closest we have to something on that level is moving both the controller and right stick at the same time (with gyro controls enabled obviously) to turn around really quickly.

For Splatoon techs are just more convenient ways of referring to movement options at this stage, Splatdashing is just easier to say and type than 'spraying ink going into squid form moving forward turning back into a human to spray ink and repeat.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom