• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I wonder if competitive people will find ridiculous methods for winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
Or maybe they hope they can put their time into practicing intuitive things, not things you believe are intuitive now because you've played/been around competitive melee for so long you can't imagine otherwise. Wavedashing, no matter how simple the input, is not intuitive. Implying that the only thing there is to skill in a game is number of inputs is, quite frankly, wrong and in a lot of game's it not the most important thing either. You want to compare two competitive things and only two competitive things? Splatoon and Chess. Nobody can say Chess isn't competitive, it is in fact one of the most competitive games with one of the most developed metas of any game. The only difference is that 'techs' and 'advanced techs' in chess can be performed by anybody who is aware of them. This doesn't mean they are being used correctly, that still requires a lot of practice on it's own. That's more what people want out of splatoon. Things that, for the most part, you need only be aware of to perform BUT the difficulty in using them comes to good decision making and recognizing when to use it. This is comparable to bursting in a lot of fighting games, a simple mechanic that requires a simple input, but requires a lot of critical thinking and good decision making to capitalize on.

So whenever I hear people complaining about games requiring higher dexterity to play at the top level, all I'm really hearing are people saying, "Man, I hope I don't have to actually practice a lot to be good at this game."
Also this is a legitimate bother for some people, not everybody can spare 3-4 hours a day, much less one, to practice. Maybe somebody wants to be able to play Splatoon/Smash Brothers/etc. competitively but cannot because they're developing their career/have a child(children)/am working on a college degree in a demanding field and simply cannot spare the hours required in order to learn a huge number of techs that at anything beyond a casual level become more and more required to be able to play without having the same effect as simply leaving their controller on the ground.

Simply put, the Art Supplies metaphor was exactly right. Nothing is lost from the game at a top competitive level if all the same techs are available but easier to use. I suppose you mght lose some elitism but that's a good thing. The Technical aspect of the game would be focused to an even sharper point in melee if players didn't need to worry about L-Cancelling as it's executed automatically or if wave dashing were an actually intuitive input because then players could focus more on their next move and focus that finger speed and input number on actually furthering their attack. Technical Skill is no more important than any other kind of skill and the problem with Melee specifically is that it revolves around 80% on technical skill and 20% on strategic and other kinds of skill. When I play P:M with some of my friends there's no need for me to think beyond setting up my next spike because I've got the fastest finger speed and am the most consistant with techs so I completely stomp on them regardless of how much they practice. That's not fun for a lot of people and in a game like Splatoon having the balance be 30-40% Technical 30-40% Strategic and 20-30% Awareness (and other skills) will leave the game open for a larger number of people to play at any level.

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
I know you said you're leaving the argument, which is fine, feel free, but I do want to say one thing. Skill at the game encompasses all aspects of things you can be good at, one of them being technical skill, which is what we've been talking about. Some games are impossible to play at a high level without a high level of technical skill (melee for example) while others are more balanced or tilted the other way where other aspects of skill such as tactics or match up knowledge are can beat out technical skill. For the most extreme example, chess. All the technical skill you need is the ability to move chess pieces and not knock over your king lol, but the rest of the skill at the game is still there.

I don't think any of us are arguing that we want the game to have NO technical skill, of course there's some minimum such as being able to walk and shoot and jump decently, but I'm saying at least that I don't want the game to be as stilted towards the technical side of things as something like melee is. It doesn't look like it will be, and I'm extremely happy with that.

I do think this is a bit condescending tho after there were several posts in the thread about people just not being able to get the hang of techs. I think it's hard to recognize that not everyone can do something and for some people no amount of practice is going to change that. Not everyone has the same level of dexterity, I know I for one have put in over 600 hours with just Sheik in melee and I'm still not great at techs and I straight up cannot compete at tournament level because of it. In Smash 4 however, which is relatively tech-lite, I do just fine. Some people really enjoy the super tech heavy, high input games and that's fine, I just don't like them and feel in a lot of cases it doesn't add much to the game, so I'm glad to see splatoon looking to be more focused on intuitive skills.
Haha. I know I said I was gone but that was just because I didn't want to get into a huge argument. So I'll reply to you since I will be agreeing with part of what you're saying.

I will say that I clarified in one of my earlier posts that what I'm saying only applies to action games. Chess isn't an action game, so of course the argument doesn't apply there.

And the thing is, I'm not being condescending because I'm also one of the people who aren't good at high dexterity advanced techs. I've played melee since the day it came out and I can't wave dash or any of that stuff. So I agree, I do enjoy when there are games that come out that I can actually compete at, and ultimately I hope Splatoon is one of them. But what I think people need to understand is that those feelings come from a place of selfishness. I want Splatoon to fit my needs because I don't want to put in the hours to get good at any ridiculously high dexterity skills (especially since there's a chance I wouldn't be able to even if I tried). So I can only assume that other people in my position feel the same way. So yes, when I see people argue against or complain about techs, I can only assume they're in the same position I'm in.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Haha. I know I said I was gone but that was just because I didn't want to get into a huge argument. So I'll reply to you since I will be agreeing with part of what you're saying.

I will say that I clarified in one of my earlier posts that what I'm saying only applies to action games. Chess isn't an action game, so of course the argument doesn't apply there.

And the thing is, I'm not being condescending because I'm also one of the people who aren't good at high dexterity advanced techs. I've played melee since the day it came out and I can't wave dash or any of that stuff. So I agree, I do enjoy when there are games that come out that I can actually compete at, and ultimately I hope Splatoon is one of them. But what I think people need to understand is that those feelings come from a place of selfishness. I want Splatoon to fit my needs because I don't want to put in the hours to get good at any ridiculously high dexterity skills (especially since there's a chance I wouldn't be able to even if I tried). So I can only assume that other people in my position feel the same way. So yes, when I see people argue against or complain about techs, I can only assume they're in the same position I'm in.
I'm glad we're mostly agreeing on things!

Chess was mostly to highlight in my mind the difference between technical skill and other forms of skill (I think I'll call it mental skill as a catch all?), an action game example might be medic in TF2. I played TF2 competitively for a while as a medic and it requires not that much technical skill but a lot more mental skill. On the other side you had scouts who were doing a lot of twitch reactions and fast shots and needed a lot more technical skill comparatively. Of course both sides needed both, but some benefited more from one than the other.

In splatoon it looks like if you lack a little bit in the more technical skill of aiming you might be able to make up for it by playing splat roller. Not saying splat roller is easier or anything, just that aiming isn't as much of a focus and you need to shine in other areas like choosing where to ink, when to engage, how to fight, etc.

As a side note you miiiiiight have wanted to pre-face your assumption with it coming from your personal view because otherwise it just kind of sounds like you're being a jerk lol. I do think it's still an unfair assumption to make of other people, but I'm glad it wasn't just because you thought other people were all lazy or something.

ProjectQ

Inkling
NNID
ianwit8
I'm sorry if my post is aggressive, but if you think that when a competitive player discovers a "tech" that is too complicated for your liking or that beats you in a match, you need to buck up or shut up. If you don't want to deal with it at all costs, stay away from modes of play or players that utilize it. However, the worst thing you can do is continue to play with those players/play styles against you, then whine relentlessly on a forum like this. That is detrimental to BOTH casual and competitive communities. In addition, those people are the ones who develop unhealthy vocal minorities that aren't actually productive in any way.

The basis of my argument is that I get upset when I see posts like, "Competitive players will find a way to 'ruin' the game," because that is ignorant, naive, and severely opinionated. So opinionated, in theory, that it should be kept off the internet and in your own thoughts. If one really needs to vent some of their salt about the game, they should do it in an isolated thread regarding constructive criticism of the game.

I will show the same amount of respect to every player whether it is your first video game and you just want plain fun, or if you are into competitive everything. What I will no longer tolerate (and will argue) are pessimistic, unimaginative trend-setting posts only there to complain about other players, or their play styles.

Gsnap

Full Squid
NNID
FJUrban
I'm glad we're mostly agreeing on things!

Chess was mostly to highlight in my mind the difference between technical skill and other forms of skill (I think I'll call it mental skill as a catch all?), an action game example might be medic in TF2. I played TF2 competitively for a while as a medic and it requires not that much technical skill but a lot more mental skill. On the other side you had scouts who were doing a lot of twitch reactions and fast shots and needed a lot more technical skill comparatively. Of course both sides needed both, but some benefited more from one than the other.

In splatoon it looks like if you lack a little bit in the more technical skill of aiming you might be able to make up for it by playing splat roller. Not saying splat roller is easier or anything, just that aiming isn't as much of a focus and you need to shine in other areas like choosing where to ink, when to engage, how to fight, etc.

As a side note you miiiiiight have wanted to pre-face your assumption with it coming from your personal view because otherwise it just kind of sounds like you're being a jerk lol. I do think it's still an unfair assumption to make of other people, but I'm glad it wasn't just because you thought other people were all lazy or something.
I actually did mention that I hope the game doesn't have too many techs in an earlier post. But I can't blame anybody for missing that. It was just kinda there. : )

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
I never said they are, I said some people want to be able to compete without putting all that time in. I personally like working on my tech, but not everyone does and it doesn't make them less competitive because they don't want to have to learn a lot of different techniques just to stand a chance of being good. Especially if they don't have the time to spare or money to give them the time to spare.

I personally don't see tech as a good or bad thing. It simply is and I will make use of it. I don't think it's inherently good, though.
This isn't directed at you, obviously, since you're just playing devil's advocate at the moment, but to people who want to compete in a video game but don't feel like putting hard work in to master techniques: do you have that same attitude toward playing tennis? or soccer, or whatever sport it is you might want to compete in? If you want to enter a tennis tournament and be competitive and stand a chance you HAVE to master the techniques like forehand, slice, serving, etc. There's no way of getting around it; you must put in lots of time and push your skill as high as it can go if you want to place well. Melee is the same thing; you have to master those techniques. If that's not something you feel compelled to do, well, going back to the tennis example you could just play with your friends in a more relaxed setting. Or you can get into a competitive sport that has a lower investment. It's fair to want Splatoon to be a lower-investment sport, and I'm sure for the most part it will be. If it's not, there's not much you can do about it - either you want to put in the time and effort to learn the techniques or you don't. There's sure to still be a lot of enjoyment you can get out this game if you play it casually, too.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
Considering the different layouts of every stage in the game, i feel like there won't be "one solid" tech or strategy that will destroy the gameplay and let you win every time, this game is all about splatting as much surface as possible.

The only strategy i would see, is finding something stupid that will always let you grab 30% of the stage by yourself and the opponents can do nothing about it, have not seen a single person do it yet without being very skilled.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
This isn't directed at you, obviously, since you're just playing devil's advocate at the moment, but to people who want to compete in a video game but don't feel like putting hard work in to master techniques: do you have that same attitude toward playing tennis? or soccer, or whatever sport it is you might want to compete in? If you want to enter a tennis tournament and be competitive and stand a chance you HAVE to master the techniques like forehand, slice, serving, etc. There's no way of getting around it; you must put in lots of time and push your skill as high as it can go if you want to place well. Melee is the same thing; you have to master those techniques. If that's not something you feel compelled to do, well, going back to the tennis example you could just play with your friends in a more relaxed setting. Or you can get into a competitive sport that has a lower investment. It's fair to want Splatoon to be a lower-investment sport, and I'm sure for the most part it will be. If it's not, there's not much you can do about it - either you want to put in the time and effort to learn the techniques or you don't. There's sure to still be a lot of enjoyment you can get out this game if you play it casually, too.
I think the difference between a real sport and a video game is that the designer can choose how difficult a technique is, while it's very hard to tweak how hard it is to hit a tennis ball. In melee they could choose to make l-canceling a built in thing that's automatic or increase how lenient some things are, likewise in splatoon they could do similar things with timings or ink spread or just tweaking numbers. The best you can do in baseball or tennis is changing equipment, which isn't nearly as easy or as effective, so it's a bit of a null comparison.

I do agree that if the developers decide that's how they want things then yeah, you either have to learn the stuff to compete at a high level or just don't compete.

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
Honestly I'm just hoping Nintendo doesn't patch out what we have now (Splatterhopping, Splatdashing, etc).
I wouldn't even be too upset about them removing them, I'm just very afraid their method of stopping these things is going to be adding lag to the transition as a whole, which would really be terrible for gameplay as a whole.
YOU'RE A KID NOW
*60 frames later*
YOU'RE A SQUID NOW

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Ok @Gsnap and @Marraphy are what I would consider to be right here. The sports example is the closest thing we've got to this type of video game. Chess is more like starcraft. It's almost purely strategic. That's definitely competitive, but something like Melee and tennis are competitive as well. Conveniently enough, I play both at higher than average but not quite semi pro level. If you're willing to take my word for it, I can attest to them being very similar actually. So similar that I've actually thought that Tennis is to sports as smash is to video games for months now. That's neither here or there, just wanted to acknowledge it because whatever.
I don't know how much you guys know about tennis, but it and other sports are great examples at why complicated tech raises the skill ceiling. Yes the ceiling, not just the curve.

The main thing that seems to be missing from this conversation, is the acknowledgment that competitiveness, and skill ceilings aren't composed of a single element of competitiveness. You guys seem to be equating competiveness to strategy. That is both true and untrue. Strategy is one of the pillars of competitiveness. Chess is a good example, civ 5 is probably the closest video game equivalent. But there are other pillars. Other things that require different skills both in and out of video games that are considered competitive. The ability recall upon knowledge is another. Feats of physicality is another. That's where sports excel, but it's also partially where tech skill falls under. The fact of the matter is, if you have the ability to press complex and precise button combinations and possibly within a certain time frame, you are skillful. If you have the ability to press complex and precise button combinations (possibly within a certain time frame) better than someone, you are more skillful than that person. that can't really be argued.

Now what you have to understand that these pillars are not separate. They stack. The skill ceiling is all of these skills in their perfected form stacked on top of each other. It is that way because if you are more strategic, and are better at physical feats than your opponent, then you're just even better than if you were better than him at one of them. If you and your opponent are equally matched in strategy, but you are better at physical feats in a game where physical feats matter, then you are the better competitor at that game. The physical feats will allow you to prove that.

When you say that you don't want complicated tech, that lowers the height of the physical feats pillar, and therefore the whole ceiling's height is lowered. Getting rid of the physical feats pillar will not make the strategy pillar taller. If it doesn't make that pillar taller, then the ceiling has been lowered, there's now way around that.
The fact of the matter is, we shouldn't change the physical feats pillar, because that's part of the game's nature. Getting rid of it would take a ridiculous amount of effort, and only serve to lower the skill ceiling. Splatoon is a fast paced game, and fast paced games have physical feats in them because you need to be able to press buttons quickly. Doing so gives you an inherent advantage, and that's just how things are.

There is another pillar that is hurt by plateaued tech skill, and that has to do with the baseball example, but I feel this comment is long enough already. If someone brings it up, I'll talk about that as well.

If you want a game that has no tech skill to worry about, and is simply a battle of the brains, civ 5 is your best bet. I'm not saying that to be mean or ondescnding or anything, that's simply the truth. Chances are Splatoon will have strategy yes, but not strategy alone Doing that to splatoon is crippling and just almost impossible without making the game less fun for those who want to compete at the highest level possible
Sorry, I'm having trouble trying to wrap this up completely. Hopefully you get what I'm saying anyway.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Simply put, the Art Supplies metaphor was exactly right. Nothing is lost from the game at a top competitive level if all the same techs are available but easier to use. I suppose you mght lose some elitism but that's a good thing. The Technical aspect of the game would be focused to an even sharper point in melee if players didn't need to worry about L-Cancelling as it's executed automatically or if wave dashing were an actually intuitive input because then players could focus more on their next move and focus that finger speed and input number on actually furthering their attack. Technical Skill is no more important than any other kind of skill and the problem with Melee specifically is that it revolves around 80% on technical skill and 20% on strategic and other kinds of skill. When I play P:M with some of my friends there's no need for me to think beyond setting up my next spike because I've got the fastest finger speed and am the most consistant with techs so I completely stomp on them regardless of how much they practice. That's not fun for a lot of people and in a game like Splatoon having the balance be 30-40% Technical 30-40% Strategic and 20-30% Awareness (and other skills) will leave the game open for a larger number of people to play at any level.
Oh yeah, while I still think that if you want to compete in something then you need to put in the time and dedication needed for mastering the skills, at the same time I think what Peace said has merit. Some people might get discouraged when a game is TOO technically focused. I've been able to wavedash / insert other AT when I focus on it, but the amount of time needed to perfect those skills and use them competitively just wasn't worth it to me. Similarly I haven't practiced tennis in years, lol. I think the ratios Peace listed at the end of the post, 30-40% Technical, 30-40% Strategic, 20-30% Awareness is a good, healthy ratio that would likely please a lot of players. If it turns out that the game is tipped to favor technique a lot more than that, then if I wanted to play this game competitively (which, idk if I do or not, but if I did) I'd have to make room for the time to get to that competitive level. If I didn't make time / wasn't motivated enough to put my soul into practicing, I'd likely still play the game, just as a casual player.

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
I feel like we’re honestly just going in circles. I don’t mean to be hostile, but it genuinely does feel you aren’t really listening to a lot of what I’m saying.

When you say that you don't want complicated tech, that lowers the height of the physical feats pillar, and therefore the whole ceiling's height is lowered.

First of all, this is a point I’ve responded to several times, and I feel like you haven’t really given it a proper response, you’ve just continued to restate your original argument. I’m starting to feel that you, like Gnsap, have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a skill ceiling is.I feel like you may be confusing the skill ceiling with a skill curve, even though you’ve specifically went out of your way to differentiate the two. A skill ceiling is not relevant to other players, that’s literally the entire purpose of the skill curve. A skill ceiling is how good someone can be at the game. I’m not claiming easier tech wouldn’t make the learning curve smaller, but I don’t feel like that’s necessarily a bad thing. I’ll use literally the same example as before: The Smash Gods would not somehow become worse at the game if techs were easier. Unless we have a disagreement on the definition of a skill ceiling, that means the skill ceiling doesn’t move. I realize I’m repeating myself, but it really feels like you ignored my point entirely.

The main thing that seems to be missing from this conversation, is the acknowledgment that competitiveness, and skill ceilings aren't composed of a single element of competitiveness.

The second point I’d like to make is that I agree with you on this statement, but I disagree within the fact that you think this is a good thing that the one element can tower over the other so heavily. The problem here being that more difficult inputs doesn’t, in literally any way, make the gameplay any more enjoyable. If more people can do the game’s cool things, the gameplay in general would be cooler. Having hard inputs allows less people to do these things, making the gameplay over all less cool.

In an attempt to get us out of the circles we’ve been going in, I’d like to attempt to reword this entire discussion. We’re essentially arguing over whether games are better with easy or difficult controls. A game having hard controls is one of the biggest signs of artificial difficulty, which I think we could agree isn’t a good thing. Artificial difficulty is the reason people think Superman 64’s difficulty is part of what makes it a horrid game, despite praising games such as Dark Souls for their difficulty. This is the essential problem I have with tech’s being hard, is that it is entirely artificial. It adds a nasty speed bump in the progression of your skill in the game, that could go away entirely while not affecting the skill ceiling.

If you want a game that has no tech skill to worry about, and is simply a battle of the brains, civ 5 is your best bet.

Another thing I disagree with you on is how black and white you’re looking at this. I could just make the same argument towards you and tell you that if you want a game that comes down almost entirely to your physical ability to use the controller, just go play a game that doesn’t require strategy, just pointing and shooting. I fully accept that there are different types of skills which are mostly dexterity and cognitive ability, but I’m asking for a balance, not calling to remove anything resembling reaction. This isn’t a balance that Smash has, hence the fact that people who can do ATs well can absolutely stomp the people who can’t. But honestly, this is a balance most games do have, Splatoon being one of them. I feel almost as if I’m arguing for the minority opinion here when I’m actually not. I can’t think of any game that has such an artificial wall in the middle of its skill curve like Smash does. Even other competitive fighting games don’t require the ridiculous stuff Smash asks for, and that isn’t advantageous to Smash in anyway.

EDIT: I added a few things, hopefully before anyone read this post.
Also I'd just like to say Peace assembled his argument beautifully and is way better at putting these things into words than me.

Last edited:

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Artificial difficulty is the reason people think Superman 64’s difficulty is part of what makes it a horrid game, despite praising games such as Dark Souls for their difficulty. This is the essential problem I have with tech’s being hard, is that it is entirely artificial. It adds a nasty speed bump in the progression of your skill in the game, that could go away entirely while not affecting the skill ceiling.
I think this is a great point to bring up, and it also falls into the intuitive vs unintuitive techs issue. Some techs are very intuitive, they're easy to figure out without needing to be told about them, like short hopping. It's pretty easy to figure out that 'hey if I press the jump button only very briefly I do a smaller jump! neat!'. Splatoon seems to be following this trend with things like splatterhopping, especially given that people are finding these with only a few hours into the game Other's are very difficulty to find, like l canceling or wavedashing. If I were not told about those two I probably never would have figured them out, partially because I played Sheik and she's got such low ending lag on stuff to begin with I might not have even noticed if I had done it accidentally.

I think intuitive techs are better than unintuitive ones and in general tend to be better designed, Superman 64 is an unintuitive, unreactive, clunky mess while Dark Souls in much more intuitively designed and it's clunkiness is accounted for in the game design. Likewise a lot of top tier melee players agree that l-canceling is a fairly uneeded barrier to entry and doesn't really add anything to their game play experience. There are plenty of exceptions of course, but the more intuitive you can make something past the basic controls the better imo.

Another thing I disagree with you on is how black and white you’re looking at this. I could just make the same argument towards you and tell you that if you want a game that comes down almost entirely to your physical ability to use the controller, just go play a game that doesn’t require strategy, just pointing and shooting. I fully accept that there are different types of skills which are mostly dexterity and cognitive ability, but I’m asking for a balance, not calling to remove anything resembling reaction. This isn’t a balance that Smash has, hence the fact that people who can do ATs well can absolutely stomp the people who can’t. But honestly, this is a balance most games do have, Splatoon being one of them. I feel almost as if I’m arguing for the minority opinion here when I’m actually not. I can’t think of any game that has such an artificial wall in the middle of its skill curve like Smash does. Even other competitive fighting games don’t require the ridiculous stuff Smash asks for, and that isn’t advantageous to Smash in anyway.
Link's Crossbow Training would be a good example of almost entirely technical skill lol. And yeah, even games like marvel vs capcom don't have that big of a stone wall of tech skill, even if they have their own smaller wall of memorizing your character's combos. But really tho I don't think anyone's honestly arguing they don't want ANY technical skill needed, that'd be ridiculous, just that they don't want the crushingly dominant emphasis on technical skill like melee had. Balance is good for this.

PixL

Inkster Jr.
NNID
PixLPaintBrush24
It's still amazing to me that people get mad at people that like to play competitively (like myself) in games that have the doors wide-open for a play-style like that.
But the thing that really makes no sense to me is that people want the competitive elements to be "balanced" "toned-down", and even removed entirely.
Think of it this way: what is stopping people from playing casually? Before I got into competitive Smash and other things similar, I played those games casually because I wasn't skilled enough to even play on a competitive tech using level, and pretty much knew nothing of that play-style to begin with. But I still had fun even when I did actually decide to "get good".

TL;DR If a game is mostly competitive in nature or has plenty of the elements to classify it as a competitive game, the competitive people will obviously have fun playing a game with plenty of tech to use, create, and explore and be rewarded for their skillful play-styles. Whilst the casual players will play the game....casually and "for fun". I think that made sense...But anyway, Competitive gameplay will get intense but I don't think it will be unbalanced.

Last edited:

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
@WydrA
I definetely liked your long message, and i agree with 100% of it.

"There is another pillar that is hurt by plateaued tech skill, and that has to do with the baseball example, but I feel this comment is long enough already. If someone brings it up, I'll talk about that as well."

I had the energy of reading what you typed, do you have the energy of fullfilling this? I'm very curious about it since baseball is something i know nothing or very little of.

Gringaer

Inkling
I am sure this game will have some weird techniques and whatnot but it probably won't ruin the game anyway at all.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
Games are competitive by nature. It makes a lot more sense to ask, "will people whine if I'm better than them?".
EXACTLY!

Winning is the end goal of a game. period.
As a player it is your job to create or even emulate the best ways to do that. If you want to play a game where you don't have to work to win at high level smash definitely isn't for you, and Splatoon probably won't be either.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
First of all, this is a point I’ve responded to several times, and I feel like you haven’t really given it a proper response, you’ve just continued to restate your original argument. I’m starting to feel that you, like Gnsap, have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a skill ceiling is.I feel like you may be confusing the skill ceiling with a skill curve, even though you’ve specifically went out of your way to differentiate the two. A skill ceiling is not relevant to other players, that’s literally the entire purpose of the skill curve. A skill ceiling is how good someone can be at the game. I’m not claiming easier tech wouldn’t make the learning curve smaller, but I don’t feel like that’s necessarily a bad thing. I’ll use literally the same example as before: The Smash Gods would not somehow become worse at the game if techs were easier. Unless we have a disagreement on the definition of a skill ceiling, that means the skill ceiling doesn’t move. I realize I’m repeating myself, but it really feels like you ignored my point entirely.
I'v read that response, and this was my attempt to respond to it. I'll try again though.
A skill ceiling, simply put, is what the highest level of play looks like for a game. It's what the game would look like if it was played with 100% efficiency and perfection. A skill curve is the level of difficulty it takes over time to get to that ceiling, but that's neither here or there.
But you're forgetting that that ceiling is composed of every aspect of the game. This is where my pillar analogy comes in. Specifically the strategy pillar. Yes if Armada and mang0 and PPMD, M2k, Hbox, Ken, etc. could all wavedash with a push of a button, the strategy pillar doesn't really get lower. It pretty much stays the same (you could make some argument for some change, but it would be pretty small). If they are in the position where they want to wavedash, they still can. If they are in a position where they don't want to wavedash, they still don't have to. The strategy pillar is the same height, because all the techniques you can use in your strategies are still present. That's the argument you're making. I understand it, and you'r right.
But you're forgetting about the other pillars. Specifically the physical feats pillar. The ability to be able to accurately perform 300 actions within a minute is a skill. If you have trained so that you can do 300 over your opponent's 250, then you deserve to be, and shall be, rewarded. This is why physical feats has it's own pillar. Now if you simplify wave dashing, from it's 3 inputs to, let's say, 1, you no longer have to train to get that 3 inputs into 1 second. You just press the single input and be done with it. now anyone can do what used to require training. If that applies for all the techs (they all have their inputs simplified) the physical feats pillar is lowered. More specifically because of the following. Say that you spend exactly a minute performing the most technical string possible within a game, and it leaves you at 400 inputs within that minute originally. If the inputs are simplified, that same string may now be maxed out at 200 inputs. Training for peak condition physical feats is no longer nearly as intense. The ceiling has lowered.

In an attempt to get us out of the circles we’ve been going in, I’d like to attempt to reword this entire discussion. We’re essentially arguing over whether games are better with easy or difficult controls. A game having hard controls is one of the biggest signs of artificial difficulty, which I think we could agree isn’t a good thing. Artificial difficulty is the reason people think Superman 64’s difficulty is part of what makes it a horrid game, despite praising games such as Dark Souls for their difficulty. This is the essential problem I have with tech’s being hard, is that it is entirely artificial. It adds a nasty speed bump in the progression of your skill in the game, that could go away entirely while not affecting the skill ceiling.
Well the difference is that I'm not asking for any of the pllars to be at a certain height. I'm willing to accept splatoon's pillars at whatever height they may be. If the physical feats pillar is very high, I'll train to reach the maximum height. If the strategy pillar is very high, i'll just have to train for that as well. you're asking for a pillar to be lowered because you don't like physical feats, all i'm saying is that if you don't like physical feats, you moving to a game without physical feats is the best option for everyone. That wa people who want the physical feats can have them in their game and the people who don't can have them in theirs. Destroying Splatoon's physical feat pillar will change the pace of the game drastically.

Also smash does have a great balance in terms of these pillars. That's why its's so highly regarded. You're insinuatig once again that strategy hould be more heavily rewarded than physical feats if you say that someone with a better strategic mind deserves to win. In smash the two go hand in hand. They are about equal height. So let's say your opponent has half the strategic pillar you do, but 10x the physical feats pillar, because he can do all the techs, but you can't do any. That still means that his skill ceiling is much higher than yours. So if both of you perform at your peak, then he will still win. that's why people who are high level smash players have both great tech skill, and great strategic minds.

The problem here being that more difficult inputs doesn’t, in literally any way, make the gameplay any more enjoyable. If more people can do the game’s cool things, the gameplay in general would be cooler. Having hard inputs allows less people to do these things, making the gameplay over all less cool.
I've saved this for last because it also ties into this:

@WydrA
I definetely liked your long message, and i agree with 100% of it.

"There is another pillar that is hurt by plateaued tech skill, and that has to do with the baseball example, but I feel this comment is long enough already. If someone brings it up, I'll talk about that as well."

I had the energy of reading what you typed, do you have the energy of fullfilling this? I'm very curious about it since baseball is something i know nothing or very little of.
The baseball example. It could also be the football (real football, not that american trash :p ) example if you want.
So in baseball/football, one of the most essential, and most difficult to consistently perform techs is the elusive "curveball". Not being able to curve the ball puts you at a huge disadvantage in both games, and it's not something that's easy to learn, as any child who has tried hundreds of times without instruction can tell you. Now let's imagine a world, where God, the Original Developer (not trying to make this a religious debate or anything by the way, that was kind of a joke) changed the laws of physics, so that it was easy to perform the curveball. At first this seems like a great thing. Now anyone can curve the ball. Little league games are fun to watch because "look at these cool curveballs these kids are throwing/kicking!". Except that's not how things would go.
This is where I introduce the other "pillar"I hinted at before. Although this one is kind of a weird one, because it doesn't really stack with the other pillars. It's more the pillar you put outside the building with a note attached to get people to come in and admire the height of the other pillars stacked together.
The pillar I'm talking about is often referred to as "view ability" and it's a necessity for any competitive game, sport, or whatever to become successful. You can have the most strategically intense, or physically intense sport/game in the world. If people don't watch it the game will fade away into non existence. So how ydo you get people to watch? One of the answers is complexity. People like to watch things they can admire. I watch tennis and football (once again, real football :p) because I can admire the players' skill levels. I understand myself just how hard it is to actually score a goal, and so when I see others accomplish that, I'm ecstatic. I've just witnessed someone pull of something incredible. this also appliess for curving the ball. I mean become's curve over the wall is one of the most famous goals in history because people could admire how hard it is to curve the ball like that. If anyone could curve the ball the way beckham could, then it's not as exciting. What's so special about what he's just done? My six year old can curve the ball like that. The same applies for video games, as video games generally are closer to sport than they are, say, chess. People generally like to see action with their strategy in competitive circuits, since everyone originally got into the games for action. This is true fro pretty much every game that ever had a serious competitive community. Even starcraft had some pretty decent action, and the importance of that game's strategy pillar is much higher than it's physical feats pillar.
Some proof that people like to see complicated techs is in the existence of these clips:

First 2 minutes of this. Especially the existence of the shots at 1:22 - 1:27, 1:34 - 1:39, and 1:45 - 1:46,

Sidenote: This is also why some people still prefer Brawl to Smash 4. there's more complicated tech in Brawl, and more reliance on reading, and they would rather watch and learn that.
If everything splatoon pros are doing is easy, and it becomes purely strategy based, then chances are we'll miss out on both viewership crowds. people who like to watch games where the action comes from complex inputs won't want to watch, and then people who like strategy over that will just watch something like starcraft or civ 5. I'm not saying we would never find a crowd of people to watch, i'm just saying it would be harder. Additionally if the crowd can't be excited by what they see they won't feel inclined to take part and learn to play them selves. Creating interest is even more essential because of that.
hopefully I've explained myself well enough. I don't know it can be kind of hard to focus for long enough to write these comments. Even harder to put things that you just instinctively and subconsciously know into words like this.

EDIT: Also thanks a lot for making me link the smash documentary. Now I feel like watching the whole thing all over again :(

Last edited:

PhoenixRiku

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SweeetPR
The point of online splatoon is to accomplish the given objective and win the game. People are more than welcome to use any method to do that (that doesn't involve the use modified software and hardware of course). An example a scene that isn't one of the major eSports games, the speedrunning community. The goal in that community is complete games as fast as possible. If a new skip that was really hard was discovered that saved 10 minutes so therefore was required to have a really good time, people would laugh at you for suggesting to make a category that didn't involve that difficult skip. Basically what I'm trying to say now is that it baffles me that anyone would complain about people who aren't cheating trying to accomplish a goal in the most optimal fashion. It is like hating on the guy who grew to 6 foot 8 in high school and you think he shouldn't be playing basketball because the average height is 6 feet tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom