if this isn’t enough proof, then I don’t know what is

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
;_; i worry i just ramble too much so that means a lot
nah dude i was gonna say something about this whole thing but you pretty much took the words out of my mouth except for like. something something queer interpretations being held to an impossible standard of proof
Can I just piggyback off of this because there have been multiple threads now in which I am trying to think of how to word a reply and then leaf comes in and says everything I was about to say except worded way better. Please never stop rambling <3

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
Can I just piggyback off of this because there have been multiple threads now in which I am trying to think of how to word a reply and then leaf comes in and says everything I was about to say except worded way better. Please never stop rambling <3
yall are gonna make me cryyyy

Alright, I'm prepared to drop a take that will make everyone mad at me.

They keep making it more and more obvious that Marina is crushing hard on Pearl. It's undeniable. If you tell me she's not, you are not paying attention.

But with how obvious they've made Marina's infatuation, it actually stands out to me that Pearl's dialogue doesn't seem to reciprocate. I'm not sure she's even aware of Marina's feelings.

There's even a chapter in the manga that very heavily implies Marina wants to confess to Pearl. Wants to, but hasn't.
actually while i disagree i get where you’re coming from lol. marina’s dialogue (+ other things…) is very blatant at this point but pearl’s dialogue by itself is a lot more “could go either way” than marina’s. now i’d argue that stuff like the “us time” comment, the “these bosses are nothing, fighting marina was way scarier” conversation, most recently that one line pearl has in suffer no fools… that stuff reads as romantic to me, but some of it is stuff that i might read as platonic in a different context. the fact that she’s saying these things on the backdrop of all of marina’s lines about her gives it a more plausible romantic reading, y’know?

(…not sure i can imagine a platonic reading for the “pearl, stop drooling over my diaries” line though. like. hello? girl???)

further, i feel like if we accept the premise that marina’s dialogue about pearl is romantic, pearl would have to be really oblivious to not notice marina’s feelings. and one could argue that that’s not totally out of character for her but… we’re talking, like, REALLY oblivious. especially in side order, marina’s dialogue reads as stuff you’d only say in front of someone you have feelings for if you’re already in a relationship. or you’ve tried subtle hints and they’re not working, i guess, lol

and “pearl does realize marina is in love with her but just doesn’t reciprocate” at this point, when acknowledging all the evidence for marina’s feelings in side order, is… kind of a weird vibe, imo. not saying we have to avoid weird vibes entirely, just that i think that if that’s someone’s interpretation of their relationship, they gotta own the weird vibes of it all.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
further, i feel like if we accept the premise that marina’s dialogue about pearl is romantic, pearl would have to be really oblivious to not notice marina’s feelings.
In all fairness, Splatoon's writing does lean very heavily on making everyone take turns holding the Idiot Ball. Inklings just aren't too bright in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom