if this isn’t enough proof, then I don’t know what is

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
I still don't think that's confirmed. There's a difference between love and admiration, and that to me, sounds more like admiration. Nintendo would probably not confirm it, and they simply won't make a Splatfest about it because the Splatfest will most likely be about Deep Cut anyways.

Also, admiration is a lot more platonic than what many may believe.
who knows maybe they will randomly say it in a twitter post but only in the english version like they did with acht

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
Nintendo is very clearly trying to leave it unclear. Pearl and Marina definitely have some sort of relationship right each other, but it's up to interpretation whether that relationship is romantic or not.

These lines of dialogue are intentional, but they're intentionally ambiguous, and the devs have done a very good job at that.
I would probably agree more with that idea if it wasn't for the dialogue that Marina gets excited with the idea of being a storybook princess that Pearl has to bravely climb up the tower to get to. She uses a heart when talking about it as well which isn't necessarily something exclusive to using for romance but combined with a dialogue it makes it very clear to me what they're implying.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
All the dialogue with the way they talk about each other and how Acht even reacts to them makes it feel as close to confirmed as it could be without outright saying it. People interpret things differently but in general I don't think you need to outright say two characters are dating to know they are, sometimes it's just very obvious.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I would probably agree more with that idea if it wasn't for the dialogue that Marina gets excited with the idea of being a storybook princess that Pearl has to bravely climb up the tower to get to. She uses a heart when talking about it as well which isn't necessarily something exclusive to using for romance but combined with a dialogue it makes it very clear to me what they're implying.
I used to play outside with my sister and we would pretend to be kings and queens and make laws and silly things, and sometimes we would "save" each other from a "tower", etc. But that doesn't mean there was anything romantic going on.

All the dialogue with the way they talk about each other and how Acht even reacts to them makes it feel as close to confirmed as it could be without outright saying it. People interpret things differently but in general I don't think you need to outright say two characters are dating to know they are, sometimes it's just very obvious.
In one of my classes at school, there's a girl who I get along with very well. We make weird jokes at each other, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if people think we are in a relationship ("relationship" here meaning the romantic kind). I would be mildly annoyed, but I wouldn't be surprised.

In middle school, there was a girl who I got along with just as well, if not better. We even exchanged phone numbers at one point. And I often got teased about having a girlfriend, despite her just being someone I liked hanging out with.

My point is that just because two people get along well and want to spend time with each other doesn't necessarily mean there's anything romantic going on.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
I used to play outside with my sister and we would pretend to be kings and queens and make laws and silly things, and sometimes we would "save" each other from a "tower", etc. But that doesn't mean there was anything romantic going on.

In one of my classes at school, there's a girl who I get along with very well. We make weird jokes at each other, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if people think we are in a relationship ("relationship" here meaning the romantic kind). I would be mildly annoyed, but I wouldn't be surprised.

In middle school, there was a girl who I got along with just as well, if not better. We even exchanged phone numbers at one point. And I often got teased about having a girlfriend, despite her just being someone I liked hanging out with.

My point is that just because two people get along well and want to spend time with each other doesn't necessarily mean there's anything romantic going on.
ok?

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
That's a very different situation right there. That's just playing pretend with your sibling at a young age and having fun together. Marina and Pearl are both adults, they're not family, and the dialogue isn't her wanting to play and mess around with Pearl, it's just her internal thoughts about how nice it sounds to be a storybook princess for her. Not the type of thought I associate with platonic feelings.

I apologize if I'm wrong about this but I'm guessing you're very young just going off based on how you think your classmates will react. It is a very annoying thing to deal with and you're right that just because two people enjoy spending time with each other, it doesn't mean they're dating.

I was just mainly talking about fictional characters and recognizing that straight confirmation isn't the only way to know when two characters are together.
I view the interactions with Pearl and Marina as romantic because the way they talk about is each other is very familiar to me with other couples I've known in real life but it's okay if you don't personally see it that way.
It's just what I'm taking right now as the closest to confirmation since this is Nintendo and we know that even if it was true or not, they would never say it.

Cephalobro

All in all, it's really up to the players' interpretation and nothing was really confirmed in either direction.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I'm 99% sure the last two are fake considering I've personally done at least three dozen runs of the spire and never seen them.

It does spark an interesting discussion, though.
I feel like even if the ship is canon, it will never be expressly stated. Personally, I think it's best this way. I like to believe it, though.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
I'm 99% sure the last two are fake considering I've personally done at least three dozen runs of the spire and never seen them.

It does spark an interesting discussion, though.
I feel like even if the ship is canon, it will never be expressly stated. Personally, I think it's best this way. I like to believe it, though.
idk about the second one, but I’ve seen the last one

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
That's a very different situation right there. That's just playing pretend with your sibling at a young age and having fun together. Marina and Pearl are both adults, they're not family, and the dialogue isn't her wanting to play and mess around with Pearl, it's just her internal thoughts about how nice it sounds to be a storybook princess for her. Not the type of thought I associate with platonic feelings.
I don't see why people shouldn't play around and have fun together at older ages. Some of the best parts of my day are when I still find time to play with my younger siblings.
(Also, the heart you mentioned comes before she even thinks of the storybook princess)

I apologize if I'm wrong about this but I'm guessing you're very young just going off based on how you think your classmates will react. It is a very annoying thing to deal with and you're right that just because two people enjoy spending time with each other, it doesn't mean they're dating.
I don't consider myself young. I guess it depends on your point of view though. I am also not the best at judging what other people think of me, which is why I only said that I wouldn't be surprised. I don't actually think people think that about us. That's why I used the example from middle school as well.

It's just what I'm taking right now as the closest to confirmation since this is Nintendo and we know that even if it was true or not, they would never say it.
Something being "true" or "false" doesn't really make sense to me unless they've confirmed it. In reality, everything is either true or false, but in created worlds, things that the creator(s) leave out can't really be true or false per se. I'll try not to get too meta though lol.

Last edited:

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
i did some research it turns out the second one is indeed fake

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
shocked nobody here brought up the laptop background. like i'm sorry but that's not the kind of photo of your 'best friend' that you set as the first thing you see when you boot up your laptop. yes i've had pictures of friends as my phone lockscreen before no they weren't that kind of photo also i'm secretly in love with one of those friends but that's not the point right now

all in all though (i'm not replying to anyone in particular because it's a general pattern of behavior i've observed, i see this off of squidboards too) if you don't think pearl and marina's relationship is romantic, fine, but i like... do not get the impulse upon seeing someone say they are in love to come and try to debate about it. like, you can just see this, think "ehh i still think all that is platonic but i'm glad other fans are having fun/feel represented," and move on. nobody is holding you at gunpoint forcing you to admit two far-future fictional cephalopod women are in love. (but people might start to look at you funny if you take somebody else celebrating the fact that two far-future fictional cephalopod women plausibly could be in love as a chance to flex your debate skills. which, no, is not the same thing.)

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
all in all though (i'm not replying to anyone in particular because it's a general pattern of behavior i've observed, i see this off of squidboards too) if you don't think pearl and marina's relationship is romantic, fine, but i like... do not get the impulse upon seeing someone say they are in love to come and try to debate about it. like, you can just see this, think "ehh i still think all that is platonic but i'm glad other fans are having fun/feel represented," and move on. nobody is holding you at gunpoint forcing you to admit two far-future fictional cephalopod women are in love. (but people might start to look at you funny if you take somebody else celebrating the fact that two far-future fictional cephalopod women plausibly could be in love as a chance to flex your debate skills. which, no, is not the same thing.)
to be fair, that debate is kind of the entire point of this thread, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom