if this isn’t enough proof, then I don’t know what is

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
to be fair, that debate is kind of the entire point of this thread, no?
per OP's reply to you... not necessarily. but admittedly the forum format naturally lends itself to back and forth discussion, though thankfully in a more respectful way than standard social media (and i do think this thread is a lot more respectful than some of the stuff i've seen on like, twitter, so thanks for at least keeping it civil, y'all), so i suppose i shouldn't be so surprised

but my point still stands - there's a strong case to be made for pearl and marina's relationship being romantic and the purpose of pointing that out isn't that we'd like to argue that it's 100% definitively canon absolutely no room for alternative interpretations or that we think somebody at nintendo will come out and say it outright, it's that we're really thrilled that this much subtext made it into a nintendo game.

neonscreenlight

Semi-Pro Squid
shocked nobody here brought up the laptop background. like i'm sorry but that's not the kind of photo of your 'best friend' that you set as the first thing you see when you boot up your laptop. yes i've had pictures of friends as my phone lockscreen before no they weren't that kind of photo also i'm secretly in love with one of those friends but that's not the point right now

all in all though (i'm not replying to anyone in particular because it's a general pattern of behavior i've observed, i see this off of squidboards too) if you don't think pearl and marina's relationship is romantic, fine, but i like... do not get the impulse upon seeing someone say they are in love to come and try to debate about it. like, you can just see this, think "ehh i still think all that is platonic but i'm glad other fans are having fun/feel represented," and move on. nobody is holding you at gunpoint forcing you to admit two far-future fictional cephalopod women are in love. (but people might start to look at you funny if you take somebody else celebrating the fact that two far-future fictional cephalopod women plausibly could be in love as a chance to flex your debate skills. which, no, is not the same thing.)
leaf making a banger post as always

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
it was never really a debate. I was just pointing out a very, very heavily implied thing by Nintendo. other people started disagreeing, so it kind of turned into a….. warm conversation…?
Maybe it didn't start out as one, but I'm pretty sure this qualifies as a debate.
Presidential candidates yelling at each other and seeing who can roast each other the worst is not a debate. It's presidential candidates yelling at each other. and I think that's what a lot of people think of when they hear the word debate.
It's a friendly debate. Those two words can go together.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
per OP's reply to you... not necessarily. but admittedly the forum format naturally lends itself to back and forth discussion, though thankfully in a more respectful way than standard social media (and i do think this thread is a lot more respectful than some of the stuff i've seen on like, twitter, so thanks for at least keeping it civil, y'all), so i suppose i shouldn't be so surprised

but my point still stands - there's a strong case to be made for pearl and marina's relationship being romantic and the purpose of pointing that out isn't that we'd like to argue that it's 100% definitively canon absolutely no room for alternative interpretations or that we think somebody at nintendo will come out and say it outright, it's that we're really thrilled that this much subtext made it into a nintendo game.
true lol. its just some fictional characters

a hot mess

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
She/They
NNID
london
Switch Friend Code
SW-0705-2349-2993
although one time i attacked a pearlina hater who shipped themself with marina and ratioed them

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Alright, I'm prepared to drop a take that will make everyone mad at me.

They keep making it more and more obvious that Marina is crushing hard on Pearl. It's undeniable. If you tell me she's not, you are not paying attention.

But with how obvious they've made Marina's infatuation, it actually stands out to me that Pearl's dialogue doesn't seem to reciprocate. I'm not sure she's even aware of Marina's feelings.

There's even a chapter in the manga that very heavily implies Marina wants to confess to Pearl. Wants to, but hasn't.

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912

this, very much this

if this convo came up in a discord or twitter thread I guarantee it would have gotten hostile and "ratioed lol trolls win" within 2 seconds

forums are a lot better for discussions like this

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom