• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

If you thought savescumming was bad enough ...

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Players are becoming overly paranoid. v.v I will make a disclaimer by saying that I have been away from my Wii U for around a week and may continue being away from the Wii U for another week. The state of the public hacking could have changed by I sincerely doubt it has changed at the great scale people are claiming. In most cases, it seems like simple paranoia. Most claiming "hacking" are describing lag or their own lack of skill. Most of the claims I've read online aren't hacking at all. It's sheer paranoia.

The "majority" of people in the S rank didn't get there by hacking. That is paranoia speaking. Do some people in the S rank kind of suck? Of course. That doesn't automatically mean it's hacking. For someone to instantly jump to the conclusion of hacking shows a problem with being paranoid. o_O Honestly... The players who struggle in the S rank are players who got carried there via squads or savescummed their way. It's extremely doubtful that they got there by hacking. That's unnecessary paranoia and attempting to cause unnecessary panic. Also.... It's going to look pretty suspicious if your account goes from C- to S+ in a single jump, you know? Splatoon players can be stupid but I'm sure the majority of us aren't quite that stupid. :)

Furthermore... There's paranoia over gear. Many are assuming that triples and pures must be hacked apparently. Before I left, I was able to get incredibly lucky. Spyke rolled a triple on my Punk Yellows in my first go. I've gotten nasty messages from people calling me a hacker for the pure. :| They assumed that because I had pure shoes, I must have hacked them. Heaven forbid we stop being paranoid and actually believe something like luck still exists, right? -.- Instantly assuming that my Yellow Punks were hacked is pure idiocy and paranoia. Instantly assuming that any gear from any player is hacked is pure paranoia.

Yes, gear hacking has become common but let's face it... It hurts no one. Gear isn't a replacement for skill. Even if you have all pure gear, it won't matter a bit if you don't have the skill to back up your weapons and gear. Hacking is not widespread like people claim. It's mostly a combination of paranoia, panic, and good ol' lag.

Diogo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supercanito
smashling, when you reach rank s you will regret to think that and you will be happy to play with such a good players who deserve the place where they are and make this game worth it.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
smashling, when you reach rank s you will regret to think that and you will be happy to play with such a good players who deserve the place where they are and make this game worth it.
Dude I dont play competitively. S rank is never happening for me

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Well this certainly is something. Makes me feel a bit better about myself as a B+ since now I'll know probably the majority of Splatoon players are getting to S rank and up by hacking.
Hate to break it to ya, but you're in B+ because your skill isn't sufficient enough to bring you to a higher rank. Gear is not, nor ever will be a determening factor as to how good a player is. Gear is only as good as it's player. Stacking like 6 mains worth of damage up, swim speed up, defense up doesn't instantly make you S+, it just means you wasted like three slots for something better. And besides, you can get usefull gear by naturally rerolling, it's just that you probably won't be wearing the gear you want. Hacking for gear just makes pure's (which aren't even that necesarry) and uncommon subs easier to get and so makes it so you can wear a combination of gear you actually like, that's it.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Sorry yea probably am getting paranoid. Its just seeing words like savescumming and hacking in a game like Splatoon, I can only assume it means one thing and one thing only for the players. Also it doesn't help when I log onto miiverse and see posts like "REACHED S+ TODAY!!! XD NEVER TOUCHING RANKED AGAIN!"

Last edited:

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Hate to break it to ya, but you're in B+ because your skill isn't sufficient enough to bring you to a higher rank. Gear is not, nor ever will be a determening factor as to how good a player is. Gear is only as good as it's player. Stacking like 6 mains worth of damage up, swim speed up, defense up doesn't instantly make you S+, it just means you wasted like three slots for something better. And besides, you can get usefull gear by naturally rerolling, it's just that you probably won't be wearing the gear you want. Hacking for gear just makes pure's (which aren't even that necesarry) and uncommon subs easier to get and so makes it so you can wear a combination of gear you actually like, that's it.
I dont savescum for gear. I just let ol good lady luck decide

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
Gear editing allows me to look fresh and make weapons I'd struggle with usable. I never played the Sloshing Machine but with the gear in my sig I'm rocking it hard and whilst I've yo-yoed between A+ and S that comes with changing weapons at this rank

Diogo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supercanito
Dude I dont play competitively. S rank is never happening for me
of course you will. its a question of time to increase the skill. if s rank players reset the game and restart, would pass through lower levels like a rocket. it's a natural thing.every team game is competitive. thats a fact.

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
I mean honestly, an S+ tournament player, and an Average S+ player the skill gap is insane.

And most S+ Players for me in particular, are just as easy as A- players.

So I don't see the issue, the MMR and ranking system in this game is garbage.

Let them boost the rank and think they are good. it might congest the ranks a tiny bit, but honestly if you're a player worth your salt. reaching your goals shouldn't be a problem.

Making excuses is what prevents you from reaching goals.

Gear editing, and hell even rank editing. doesn't really affect anything.

I don't know if any of you complaining about GE have seen tourney players. but we would spend HOURS save scumming to get good triple rolls. all the good gear has already been rolled for by the JP and US/EU/etc communities. with gear editing we are now able to expand and mess with new kits without having to waste 10hrs to find out the kit sucks.

SaveScumming and Gear Editing are exactly the same. the only difference is the time required to do one or the other.

The only time i will consider someone a Hacker is if they use the Hex Editor to modify game values such as fire-rate,speed etc etc.

and those people get banned.

And please don't consider S and S+ rank competitive.
Do Tournies, Scrims against other competitive teams to guage your skill.

not solo ranked. the mindset is completely different.

Archæa

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ArchaeaNFS
Well this certainly is something. Makes me feel a bit better about myself as a B+ since now I'll know probably the majority of Splatoon players are getting to S rank and up by hacking.
This statement is completely unfounded. Gear Editing can be considered save file editing if the word "hacking" puts a bad taste in your mouth. If a player is at S rank, they got there because they deserve it. End of story. Gear editing is far from a "gamebreaking" exploit. Some people have no regard for how little the abilities actually affect stats.

Archæa

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ArchaeaNFS
I'll stick to save scumming, I tried doing this and TCP Gecko wouldn't connect, so I'm taking it as a sign to not bother. It's all very well and good Hitzel saying it's to give those without pure/shiny gear those as well, but there's too many variables around this. One, it's only accessible to those who can get Gecko to connect, so those who can't or don't want to risk it are still without the "good" gear. Two, you need to backup your save, because if you edit and poke the wrong value, your save is going to get corrupted, which would suck if you're Level 50 and S+ and already have a few decent gear loadouts. Three, no-one knows how Nintendo detects the changes to gear, as it can be gifted from Judd/Amiibo, bought from Spyke, rerolled and have slots added. It would be mighty suspicious if you appeared online running a ton of shiny/pure gear you never ordered or levelled up legitimately. Four, as with all hacks, there are the few scumbags who will deliberately use it to get unfair advantages over other players. Picture all Respawn Lunas/Dynamos, all swim for Rainmaker carrying, and combinations that would never be rolled together even with savescumming. Reminder that you can block Wii U updates from Nintendo, so you can hack all the gear you want, remove all exploits, then update to 5.5.2 and play online with the hacked gear.
These are all very legitimate concerns, but not without their flaws.

Before that though, if gecko isn't connecting it could be a problem with the wii u connection to the internet, I know Slimy mentioned that wireless connections are better for this

In response to the post, first I'd like to say that gear really doesn't give as humongous of an advantage as all the whiners would like you to believe. Most of not all abilities follow the law of diminishing returns.

Secondly, I'm not sure I see your complaint against backing up your save. Are you against that alone? What is wrong with just having another copy of your save data?

Next, All gear detection is a client based process, meaning all the online server is doing is reading your memory and applying that data to the game. You are not editing any data that exists on the online servers. As a matter of fact, the whole gear editing process is an offline system. No server is used.

Finally I'd like to comment on your belief that the ability stacking will give advantages to those players over ones who have not hacked gear. Not only does gear not affect play as much as we like to believe (as mentioned above), but all of this gear is attainable NATURALLY IN THE GAME. If you had perfect luck, all of this could be achieved naturally in one afternoon. All this system is doing is taking the luck and randomness out of the game. It's as simple as that. If Gecko actually did give its users an advantage over other players, I'd be the first ones to stand with you, but it doesn't.

It's important not to confuse gear editing with actual hacking.

EDIT: I'm also not sure I understand your point about playing on older patches. Are you referring to playing with weapons pre-nerfs? If so, I'm fairly sure this is bannable, as weapon statistics are tracked server-side, as evidenced by REAL hackers being perma-banned. This has nothing to do with gear editing, this is legitimate hacking, changing the way the game behaves and has no correlation to simple save file editing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom