• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

If you thought savescumming was bad enough ...

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I agree that the biggest issue with Splatoon is the lack of ability mix and matching. I'll admit that I would scum a gear combo to match one that rolls naturally if the natural looks unfresh whilst my scummed one looks fresher. I just think they need to up the amount of shoes and hats so it matches the vast amount of shirts on offer. Of course, brand favoured abilities should never be accompanied as the main ability, but it would make things better. They should also do the same for the exclusive abilities, so they all have different options, except those that counter the weakness or make the ability more effective than necessary (i.e. No Zink Stealth Jump, No Krak-On Ninja Squid, No Takoroka Tenacity). I reckon that's why the revealed Splat Roller has been coupled with a gear announcement, to help counter the issue with ability combos.
That's a good point I honestly didn't consider. I only thought about avoiding pure gear. Gear that favors the main ability's weakness with its sub-ability multiplicator should of course also never exist. I seriously can't imagine they're going to fix much if they're just going to add as much new gear as last time though, but it will definitely help.

tanzinyagrill

Inkling
After rolling about fifteen legit triples, including the exact Ink Recovery triple I wanted on my Legendary Cap (I hate the way the White Headband looks and prefer Damage Up as a main) I gave in and used Gecko for all brand triples I've needed since then, and I also used it to complete a few shiny/pure orders.
I like to fool around with the Octoling hack as well (model swap, mind you, even with the fixes I'd rather not run the risk of bricking people's saves. And besides, other players would see it and it'd get me banned)
I personally don't see the harm as long as you keep it to sub ability editing and client-side cosmetic hacks.

maxie

Full Squid
honestly? i dont see what all the fuss is about

major hacking, like making yourself invincible, covering the entire stage with ink, increasing fire rate/range/power of a weapon or whatever, thats obviously not okay and majority of people who go online with that get banned, but thats not whats happening widespread

instead, people are editing sub abilites. which to be honest doesnt affect the game whatsoever and i think people are honestly just being overdramatic about it. like you could say theres going to be elitres with all damage ups everywhere now, but tbh if someone was really that dedicated theyd probably have scummed gear almost that good already, minus like maybe two sub slots????

b ranks arent suddenly gonna end up in s because they put all damage up or all defence up or whatever on their gear, theyre still going to play the same except with some bonuses they couldnt get from the absolutely garbage rerolling system. its literally not..........game breaking at all. (unless you forget to reset before playing online and if you do that then really i dont know what to say to you. hack responsibly kids.) i dont know why people are all up in arms about it like its genuinely confusing for me

i mean? main reason i edited my gear in the first place was so i could stop wearing those god awful splash goggles. seriously doubt anyone thats doing this has malicious intent.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I stopped playing splatoon for some weeks because I was afraid of seeing those hackers but looks like those things are not frequent right?

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I stopped playing splatoon for some weeks because I was afraid of seeing those hackers but looks like those things are not frequent right?
There's literally no way to tell. A hacked piece of gear, a rolled piece of gear, and a savescummed piece of gear will all look and act the same. The only change in battles might be more people with triple gear sets, and that's not going to guarantee a win.

Bio_liquid0

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Bio_liquid0
Welp, apparently there's an even easier way to modify your gear sub abilities through outside means. Go-figure. Essentially makes hex editing just that much more tedious for people who do it.

EDIT: Video is not mine

Last edited:

Diogo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supercanito
just leave those things to nintendo devs. Have fun and forget that kind of stuff. I play daily a lot and never saw an hacker and i just don't care about other people gear, it's not so important. If they are good, better for me, i don't like to smash a team like peanuts, it's boring. And the day i see an hacker, which i doubt it will happen, i just quit and start again and everything will keep as usual. I fear anybody in splatoon.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
It's always fascinating to watch how some people will see the word "hack" and immediately assume it's bad.

With a little experience and wisdom one will find that there are good hacks and bad hacks, the same way there are good germs and bad germs (in fact, without "good bacteria," none of us would be alive right now).

The gear editor has been out for a nice little chunk of time now and I've been closely involved with the scene, and I've only seen benefits from edited gear (more variety, experimental builds, even playing fields, etc) with literally no detrimental effects.

This is quite clearly a good hack.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I've used the software yesterday to edit my gear and it's amazing how easy and fast it is after it's set up. Now with this, i'm kinda following my own philosophy here. I will only edit my gear if it's a gear i like with a useful abilith,with a brand i dislike, those being inkline, forge, zink and brand neutral gear. These brands have cool gear that i really like, but i just don't like the sub they give. I've recently edited the :head_eye002: with triple swim speed, :clothes_tly004: also with triple swim speed, acerola rain boots with triple damage and a few more. There's also a few subs i rerolled that are part of a brand that i actually like, but that it's main ability doesn't suit my style very well, like the :head_ncp003: which is a skalop gear with tenacity. I don't think quick respawn and tenacity is a good combo, so i edited swim speed on it (i swear not all of it is swim speed lol). If it's a gear with a brand and ability i like, i will not edit it and instead naturally roll, because i'd hate to horde my money and sea snails and two subs is usually enough for me. The editing software can also unlock slots, but i will not do that, since there's no rng involved with that. I need around 300,000 to unlock all the gear i want to edit. After doing all this, what would you know, i still get my squid butt kicked and i still lose. The only difference now is that i look FRESH while doing it. That's all it changes. And besides, some of the "hacked" gear you see nowadays has been around before even save scumming became a thing. It's rng, not impossible. And i think it's funny how some people (not here specifically, generally speaking) are becoming paranoid about someone having all defence or all damage. Like they help, but damage stops increasing so much around 4 mains worth and defense up as well (unless you're talking about chargers and rapid blasters who greatly benefit from quite a bit of damage). The money hording thing is just me though, if you wanna go full on edits, go ahead.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Um, are y'all still talking about this hex editing thing, or something else that I don't yet know about?

EDIT: Huh, that does seem a bit simpler. I could definitely make use of that to fine-tune what I already have... consider me interested, but I'll have to sleep on it.

Last edited:

Archæa

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ArchaeaNFS
It's always fascinating to watch how some people will see the word "hack" and immediately assume it's bad.

With a little experience and wisdom one will find that there are good hacks and bad hacks, the same way there are good germs and bad germs (in fact, without "good bacteria," none of us would be alive right now).

The gear editor has been out for a nice little chunk of time now and I've been closely involved with the scene, and I've only seen benefits from edited gear (more variety, experimental builds, even playing fields, etc) with literally no detrimental effects.

Well said. Nicely summarizes everything I've been saying and more.

Cyan

Inkling Commander

Completely agree with this. I understand the difference between "good" and "bad" hacks, as I have experienced this through MKWii. Obvious bad hacks there were item hacking, instant mini turbos and other advantages for those using them. Then we also have the good hacks: speed mods (when used privately with other users), custom textures, custom music and custom models (all client side, with no effects on other players). The good hacks are more apparent through Bean and CTGP, where we now have an additional 218 Custom Tracks, a custom game mode called Countdown, and access to the custom server Wiimmfi to continue online play with others. Even when Nintendo WFC was still up CTGP used unused regions to offer WW play to those running the mod without matching up and encountering normal players on the vanilla game.

All in all, hacking has good and bad parts to it, CTGP is a great example as it offered modifications and extra tracks whilst keeping people away from the normal users (if people join regular WWs they can only vote for the regular 32 tracks). However, there are always going to be those who ruin it for others with outright cheats and they will get banned for it. All SplatHax is doing by the looks of things is allow people to match savescummed pure and shiny gear and create their own combos for experimentation purposes or creating shiny gear to match other gear but look fresher.

Yes it is cheating, but there are no outright "you have so many shiny/pures you'll now win every match" issues with this. If you want to unlock all slots of gear because it's time consuming, the abilities suck (Opening Gambit for one) or the gear is hideous, go for it, then roll the gear for triples if you don't want to hack it. It's up to you whether you want to do it or not, it may not be fair, but it's your choice and I won't judge those too harshly if they use it. Just be careful with it and make sure you follow all advice so you don't get banned.

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
The gear system would be fixed immediately if you could roll one slot at a time instead of all three.

Adding more gear to the game wouldn't hurt either.
Considering the CoroCoro promotion is going to add new gear, and the roller was a part of the new volume, most likely they're going to add new gear.

ArcticWolf

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RedGazelle7
I'm all for this since now I'm getting really tired of played Roulette with Spyke.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
Considering the CoroCoro promotion is going to add new gear, and the roller was a part of the new volume, most likely they're going to add new gear.
That by itself won't be enough, since players who don't scum or edit have trouble even rolling natural triples at times.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Well this certainly is something. Makes me feel a bit better about myself as a B+ since now I'll know probably the majority of Splatoon players are getting to S rank and up by hacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom