• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ika Musume (Squid Girl) Costume Coming To Splatoon With August Patch!

Recently for an issue of Famitsu, a special collaboration illustration was included where Splatoon crosses over with the Manga Ika Musume (Squid Girl). For those who don't know the manga, it is a series by Masahiro Anbe that has been serialized since 2007. In it a cute Squid Girl sets out to take revenge on mankind for polluting the ocean. However she manages to accidentally do some damage to a beach house and must work as a waitress to pay off her debts and her unusual life on the surface begins from there.

Two other collaborative pictures were also released that you can see here and here. However there is even more exciting news! According to the picture taken from the magazine above it seems a special Ika Musume costume will be coming to Splatoon. It would appear to have a white dress and triangle hat just as the main character of the manga as well. It says it will be coming for free with an update in August. At this time the announcement only seems to pertain to Japan. Stay tuned to Squidboards for any news on it coming elsewhere!

-- Source

SmashCapps is very excited to see this incredibly unique crossover hit Splatoon, and hopes we can use the costume all over the world. To keep up with him and his writing antics follow him on Twitter.

Comments

I wonder if the outfit would change colour depending on your colour...probably not, but it'd be cool.

Though I'll mainly be using the Octoling Armor, I still want this. It wouldn't be fair for this to be Japanese-exclusive because there are fans of Squid Girl outside of Japan. Remember those guys, Nintendo!

I want to say "it had to happen", but honestly, I'm more shocked that it DID happen. I mean, the creator of Squid Girl had joked about DLC for a long while now, and it's obvious he's very passionate about the whole thing since he's obsessed with the whole squid thing for some reason, and Nintendo going along with it is very surprising as a result. The next step is seeing if they'll be nice enough to release this to a worldwide audience, since Squid Girl is pretty niche here in the US region, even if it will be available for free.

How would NA not give it to us? I mean, we'd still have to get the model in an update because the Japanese players would still be interacting with us online... And then couldn't we just order the dress from Spyke? How would a Japan only piece of gear make any sense in Splatoon?

YES, THE CROSSOVER HAPPENED!!! Even if it's released in the West or not, I'm happy that it happened! I will be even more happy if it was released outside of Japan but only time will tell. If it is Japan-exclusive, then the West will also need an exclusive of their own. Octodad would work well for a West-exclusive DLC...

...or Squidward Tenticles.

...Or Squishy.

UPDATE: Does anyone remember back in the Global Testfire when starting the game up, it said 'This game may contain product placement and advertising.' I can understand 'advertising' as it is advertising the game but 'Product Placement'? There's currently no Product Placement in the game as of now... unless the N-Zap 85' counts and keep in mind that this one message was in all versions of the demo, America, UK, Japan, you name it! :confused:

Something smells squiddy around here... and it's not me.

@Nutz_2010 Someone asked this question somewhere else on the web, and another replied that the product placement disclaimer refers to amiibo. Even though amiibo are owned by Nintendo, they are just being careful and covering their bases so they don't get sued. Though the general wording in the disclaimer could end up being able to pertain to things other than amiibo as well.

This is quite the surprise and a rather welcome one at that. Does remind me that I've been meaning to actually watch the anime a full way through for a while now.
Also, at this rate, Ink Jet Radio is looking less and less like just a pipe dream.

I really hope this isnt kept to only Japan. Especially because we are going to have to have it downloaded since we will be playing with Japanese players who have it. Regionalizing content in a game where you are very likely to be facing people from all over the world is a good way to piss people off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom