I'm sick of ________

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Sick of chargers who just can't seem to hit shots, or can't counter snipe for.. well.. anything really.
*missmissmissmiss* I know every1 has their bad days but sheesh.:(
Chargers definitely put more at stake than other classes. A weak shooter can at least spread ink around in between deaths. Chargers' role moreso than any other class is to get splats and when they aren't doing that its effectively a 3v4. They can be the biggest boon to your team if they're skilled or the most disastrous burden if they're weak. That's why its intimidating for me to pick up chargers often, at least in serious play.

I tend to hover around the middle, but I totally agree with you.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Chargers definitely put more at stake than other classes. A weak shooter can at least spread ink around in between deaths. Chargers' role moreso than any other class is to get splats and when they aren't doing that its effectively a 3v4. They can be the biggest boon to your team if they're skilled or the most disastrous burden if they're weak. That's why its intimidating for me to pick up chargers often, at least in serious play.

*cringes and sulks in corner*

I would like to think I'm doing much better. Honest.

*lip quiver*

GrandestMagus

Inkster Jr.

Mabye it might just be me, because I main charger, and I just really hate seeing bad ones, but I try to let myself understand that they are still learning. Usually I get angry when im already salty since I can't see the chargers until then :(

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
Krak-On Splat Rollers. Yesterday, I couldn't fight in a match where there wasn't an overly aggressive one, often making a short camp. It wasn't like it was one person bothering me, either, there were multiple people that were clearly different throughout matches.

Award

I know. Thats exactly what I'm sick of D: Its so arbitrary. Who decides that? Its a 0-100 scale. If you want to make it harder to rank up, make the scale bigger instead of ****ing around with the point allotment.
Spot on on such a hot button issue. I've always favored a progressive ladder that resets periodically rather than this awful floating ladder system Splatoon has. That system challenges you to move up, and improve to the next difficulty bracket and give you something to strive for rather than this one that's so focused on treading water. The idea of those brackets is when you're close to ranking up you get a "challenge match" (or several) at the next difficulty bracket to see if you deserve the rank up. Similarly if you're close to ranking down you get a challenge match or matches at the lower difficult to see if you're really on their level or better. It keeps the brackets more tidy. OTOH what do tidy brackets matter if you never actually play matches in your bracket? I've been slamming around between ranks pretty wildly. Presently back in upper A and every lobby I get is either entirely A+/S or entirely B+/A-. I haven't actually fought a single A. And most of the time I get the A+ team against all S's or the B+ team against all A-'s. On occasion I get the better ranked team, or a lower ranked team that can actually outplay the higher ranked team. So matches are always lopsided completely in favor of one side or the other. And naturally any time it DOES assign the S or S+ to me I get the S/S+ that goes 0/6, we lose massively, and I get a 14pt loss. Then my wins are all like 8pt wins. Why can't I play B+'s in B+, A's in A, S's in S? What's the point of a rank bracket if you're not going to actually play battles at that rank? My last time through the rank carousel, I had all A+ matches at B+ and all B+ matches at A-. And then we wonder why we get S ranked gold aerosprays shooting zones from sniper perches. :rolleyes:

Mabye it might just be me, because I main charger, and I just really hate seeing bad ones, but I try to let myself understand that they are still learning. Usually I get angry when im already salty since I can't see the chargers until then :(
Sick of chargers who just can't seem to hit shots, or can't counter snipe for.. well.. anything really.
*missmissmissmiss* I know every1 has their bad days but sheesh.:(

I'm kind of in between - charger main myself, but not one of The Great Ace Snipers like the S+ Japanese eliters tend to be (though I CAN 1v1 countersnipe some of those....some of them, not so much). I agree with GrandestMagus, especially when the bad snipers are on my team AND take my ideal sniping location....and can't hit anything. I'll usually give them the perches, assuming they're probably superior, and I'll go roam and snipe from the ground (though in ranked I'm often on the ground anyway) - it's infuriating when I find out they sucked. :mad:

On the other hand birdiebee is so right. It's humiliating when I have those rounds that I just can't hit ANYTHING. Sometimes I think it's lag. I used to think it was all me, or that I was just being outplayed, but I've seen more to indicate lag was involved. Was sniping at a trislosher in museum last night that managed to make it to our base/rotator and splat me....and noticed he was teleporting all over the place. On the rotator, off the rotator, behind the rotator, splat. But there are some rounds for whatever reason that I just hit nothing. I get like 2-3 lucky splats, get splatted 9 times and that's the most humiliating. I'm a pretty decent sniper...and I never understand how I could miss so much. But I can FEEL the glare of everyone watching the k/d. :p When that kind of match is unfolding I stop trying to splat them and instead start running ink interferance to set the up for observant teammates. The misses are intentional because I wasn't aiming for the kill (because for whatever reason I keep missing when I try) and instead try to slow them. Sometimes I actually GET the kill that way....and then I KNOW lag is the problem. :)

Krak-On Splat Rollers. Yesterday, I couldn't fight in a match where there wasn't an overly aggressive one, often making a short camp. It wasn't like it was one person bothering me, either, there were multiple people that were clearly different throughout matches.
That happened to me with ninja splooshes in museum on Sunday. Every match there was another Japanese ninja sploosh. Every single one of them was wearing the nightvision goggles. Every one of them had the same base raid map strategy. But they were all different people. It was freaky...I started wondering if we're really playing other people, or if some Splatoon players are just adaptive AI's with made-up or ghosted (from Miiverse data like Streetpass) player profiles.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Spot on on such a hot button issue. I've always favored a progressive ladder that resets periodically rather than this awful floating ladder system Splatoon has. That system challenges you to move up, and improve to the next difficulty bracket and give you something to strive for rather than this one that's so focused on treading water.
Can you elaborate a little bit on the "progressive ladder" system? I don't play competitive online anything beside sploon so I'm not too familiar with any other kinds of ranking systems.

one of The Great Ace Snipers like the S+ Japanese eliters tend to be
DDDD: SHEER TERROR. AND THIS IS PLAYER IS A HIGH SCHOOL GIRL :C

Ansible

Community Ambassador
That happened to me with ninja splooshes in museum on Sunday. Every match there was another Japanese ninja sploosh. Every single one of them was wearing the nightvision goggles. Every one of them had the same base raid map strategy. But they were all different people. It was freaky...I started wondering if we're really playing other people, or if some Splatoon players are just adaptive AI's with made-up or ghosted (from Miiverse data like Streetpass) player profiles.
After failing a repeated 1v1, squiffer vs sploosh-o-matic matches, I've somewhat adopted that Japanese player's strategy a few times myself. First with the sploosh and now with other weapons. It made me extremely salty that night (an amazing first with this game!) but I respect his fighting style.

Using mainly swim speed up gear, you burst-fire and swim to the enemy base, raid it, u-turn to mid, cover mid, u-turn to enemy base, repeat repeatedly. When meeting an opponent, do not engage directly. Fight near sizeable portions of good ink or lay down good ink around opponent while evading. Drop in and out of ink. Pop up at random ranges and angles to make yourself harder to track. Attack from angles at melee range.

I found him far more annoying and troublesome than the average run-n-gun shooters and bunny hop shooters.

Only other gunner tactic I had trouble with so far was one not afraid to superjump (to base or teammates). She often did this when base raiding or pushing forward. If you chased her down or cornered her she'd pull the ejector seat on her escapade before being splatted. Then she'd jump right back to the nearest teammate.

I adopted that strategy too.

Award

Can you elaborate a little bit on the "progressive ladder" system? I don't play competitive online anything beside sploon so I'm not too familiar with any other kinds of ranking systems.
So, there's a few kinds of ladder systems that can be used for ranking a ladder. Splatoon uses what's called a "floating ladder." Floating ladders are, in general awful. Add in the team based scoring, and it becomes abhorrent. With the floating ladder there aren't ACTUAL ladder rungs in which you establish a fixed position. There's no blockades on either end of a given rank to make it harder to move up and harder to move down, and no favorability of upward or downard mobility. You float between the rungs. The present 11 rungs each with 100 points. C- through S+. In reality it's a single ladder rung of 0 to 1100. The way they accellerate or decelerate progression up the ladder and force downward movement on the ladder is adjusting the win/loss totals based on the ladder rung. And team matchup. But ultimately it's made very easy to slide between runs, and flail around up and down being forced to tread water to maintain position. Worse, because your own performance is only 1/8 of your score, the position you occupy is based more on other people's play within your rank than your own (unless you carry your teams or majorly fail your teams) so the result is very transient. The ladder itself is designed to facilitate moving up and down freely. This is also how it can mash together different ranks in a single lobby and just change your point totals to compensate, because it's all one really big rank, divided into different difficulty levels fairly loosely. It's a system that would work better if your battles were fixed to your rank only. I.E. In A you fight A only, in B+ you fight B+ only, in S you fight S only. that would have used the floating system to better effect. Actually in ANY ladder that would have a better effect, but it's more pronounced in this one. But other systems effectively need to be single rank only. This one fudges.

The "progressive ladder" favors upward movement over downward movement, or specifically, favors bracket challenges to advance. Each rung is more isolated and insulated. It has its assigned difficulty bracket, whether it's same letter only, or whether it's letter +/- 1 or whatever. As you rise in points within your bracket and reach, say, B-100, you are then presented either a single, or a series of challenge matches. The challenge matches are a "special mode" type of match that are presented specifically as advancement challenges. You play matches at the B level. if you win THOSE matches you get promoted to B. If you do not, you remain at B- minus some amount of points. Similarly in B, if you fall to 0 points, you are then presented a demotion challenge match or series of matches played at the B- rank. If you appropriately succeed there, you are NOT demoted, seen as still being a B. If you fail sufficiently your B- challenge, you are then demoted to B-. The idea is to keep each rung a clear definition of skill bracket. Difficult to drop from if you haven't ACTUALLY gone down in skill, but difficult to advance from if you can't prove you've earned it by playing at the next level of play sufficiently. That way your letter grade actually represents a complete skill bracket, and means you can continue challenging the more difficult next level more freely without the horrible losing streak effects and muddled brackets leading to mismatches we have now and being reset all the time to lower level play before you can face harder matches again.

A progressive ladder however requires periodic resets. Annually, or seasonally. Everybody's C-0 again and has to earn their way back up the ladder. This mitigates changes in the meta and the corruption of the player pools by bracket over time. Technically the floating ladder needs resets for the same reason but it's easier to say "it's self correcting." The negative here is some people will be upset having to earn their rank again. But skilled players generally move up the ranks again quickly while it flushes out the problems with weaker players in high pools, strong players in low pools, and peoples that got their rank in an old meta and aren't as competitive in the current meta. The risk of upsetting people over losing their rank is probably the reason Nintendo chose the floating system. But then the problem is the corrupt pools we have now where you can lose a well deserved rank due to bad luck being matched with people really in the wrong rank (or being in the wrong rank yourself.)

DDDD: SHEER TERROR. AND THIS IS PLAYER IS A HIGH SCHOOL GIRL :C
Yikes! They really are terrifying! There are some Japanese S+ eliters that I've had a blast going 1v1 with as a snipe-off. Even won against them. Then there are other ones that I can't even aim before I'm splatted! Even in S+ there's two totally different skill tiers!

After failing a repeated 1v1, squiffer vs sploosh-o-matic matches, I've somewhat adopted that Japanese player's strategy a few times myself. First with the sploosh and now with other weapons. It made me extremely salty that night (an amazing first with this game!) but I respect his fighting style.

Using mainly swim speed up gear, you burst-fire and swim to the enemy base, raid it, u-turn to mid, cover mid, u-turn to enemy base, repeat repeatedly. When meeting an opponent, do not engage directly. Fight near sizeable portions of good ink or lay down good ink around opponent while evading. Drop in and out of ink. Pop up at random ranges and angles to make yourself harder to track. Attack from angles at melee range.

I found him far more annoying and troublesome than the average run-n-gun shooters and bunny hop shooters.

Only other gunner tactic I had trouble with so far was one not afraid to superjump (to base or teammates). She often did this when base raiding or pushing forward. If you chased her down or cornered her she'd pull the ejector seat on her escapade before being splatted. Then she'd jump right back to the nearest teammate.

I adopted that strategy too.
Yeah I like the sploosh, but that technique is so annoying to deal with. I don't have much fun doing it myself with a sploosh though for some reason....I much prefer flanking with it than base raid style, and realized the actual melee weapons (brushes/rollers) are probably better suited for that. I think I liked sploosh as a cop out because I didn't want to button mash...but I'm becoming addicted to brushes now :D And after cursing them out enough, it's fun to be one ;) But yeah, I've seen a lot of similar sploosh strategies to the one you described, though they're run speed based more than swim speed. A run speed up sploosh is SOO annoying.

I'm not much of a base raider, but superjumping I'm big on. I main Custom Eliter, so I love utilizing my own beacons for a quick reposition from being with the ground troops :)

AlsoDededork649

Pro Squid
NNID
DARandall4711
When I made an alt, there was Rainmaker on the rotation. I love Rainmaker. But C- doesn't. I'm sick of teammates who always grab the Rainmaker before I get to and don't know where to bring it or what to do with it.

Award

When I made an alt, there was Rainmaker on the rotation. I love Rainmaker. But C- doesn't. I'm sick of teammates who always grab the Rainmaker before I get to and don't know where to bring it or what to do with it.
I've noticed that in low ranks, nobody grabs the RM ever. In medium ranks EVERYBODY clambors onto the RM at the same time. In high ranks, EVERYBODY pops the shield as fast as they can and then leaves the RM sitting on the ground the rest of the match. "Yeah, shield popped, BOOYAH!"

But the low C's are even difficult to watch. Nono, go that way! Other way! What are you DOING. Why would you DO that?

On the other hand, when I think about it...is it so different from the upper ranks? :p

Lele

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Deathgasus
-too much luna blasters in every ranked mode
-too much japanese servers
-disconnect in the middle of a match
-"splatoon is dying"
The daily life of a kidsquid

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Sploosh-o-matics and their hopping :confused:

I love you when you're on my team but I'm awfully sick of you ending up on the other team. :p

Clawford

Full Squid
NNID
Clawford
Inkstrike spamming in splat zones
Inkstrike spamming in turf
Inkstrike
Blackbelly and its god damn camps

Ansible

Community Ambassador
If I never came across Squidboards I likely would hardly play this game as much. Gamefaqs was one of my first stops in finding out about Splatoon and its community. So much negativity there. And not just in the Splatoon boards but others as well.

Anywho...

I'm sick of a teammate, a teammate and myself, or just myself pushing our counter below 20 points only for the other team to still when the match when they weren't on the board or yet made it to 50.

I'm even more sick of teammates giving up and/or disconnecting in a ranked match when things are going to well and we haven't hit the "one minute left" mark.

I'm especially sick of making it to B-8X and B8X then the game decides to make me play 1v2 or 1v3 with enemy chargers—often toting E-liters (I'm using any charger but the same)!

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
I'm sick of being fated to lose every single match when I'm up all the way to A+ 96
Hello B+ my old friend...

Award

Sploosh-o-matics and their hopping :confused:

I love you when you're on my team but I'm awfully sick of you ending up on the other team. :p

I agree so much! I hate them when they're running through my base, but technically they're just running interference, they seem not to attack when they do this. Their only goal is to distract you, and put up roadblocks in the form of ink, not to fight you! I've taken up spooosh again after seeing some new techniques and IMO, the hopping doesn't actually help the sploosh much at all and makes REAL dangerous mobility harder. The real danger is the sploosh that continuously transitions from kid to squid so fast they might as well be squid partying! Except they're trying to kill you. :p It's a lethal tactic in TW, but I'm trying to make it work in ranked too. That's a dangerous road.

I'm sick of being fated to lose every single match when I'm up all the way to A+ 96
Hello B+ my old friend...
You too?!?! This has been my bane! Some people don't seem to have this problem. I have it non-stop (thus my sig line about my rank ;)). I've been in and out of A+ 3 times this weekend alone....the last fall starting an endless losing streak that has me down to A- 52 and I fully expect to plunge back to B+ again tonight if the pattern continues like it's been. Then I'll probably be back in A+ by early next week. It's cyclical, and the falls are extreme. That will be my third plunge to B+ in 6 weeks if it happens! It's getting predictable almost to the point of amusement. I'm EVERY rank! :D

Have you found any kind of pattern to when this happens? I"m searching for the pattern to understand it more. The last time was two Sunday's ago, and it was exactly like yesterday. Everyone just seemed to be a few ranks ahead of themselves. Normally in the A's my problem I often get is awful teammates against decent teams. That day, my teammates were actually good - just not as good as our opponents who played in every way like S/S+. But that Sunday, and right through the Monday after it, playing A-/A was like playing S/S+ - same skill levels, same pace, same tactics. I thought I had the pattern. Sundays! But then last Sunday I played and sailed back to A+ easy peasy. Then yesterday (Sunday again!) it was like 2 weeks ago. Suddenly brutal and like the play levels at a given rank just went waay up. I was losing every round on Port Mackerel Zones, exactly where I sailed through no problem exactly a week ago. And I was playing even better than I did last week on a map that's traditionally given trouble and I've now tapped some solid strategies for it! And my team didn't suck! Yet we were losing to superior opponents time and time again. They were actually good games and fair losses in contested games... But why were they suddenly so skillful? I suspect most of it has to do with alts, especially given the amount of low level, high rank players there were (aced through the ranks on their first run? Suuure...) Meaning it really WAS S/S+ level play going on. Which ordinarily is a good thing in terms of fun matches....way better than aerosprays shooting from sniper perches. But then I crash back to where EVERYONE is shooting with aerosprays from sniper perches. What I can't figure out is, if it is mostly alts....what is it that makes all the alts come out and play all at the same time so every lobby is filled with them rather than being randomly and consistently scattered during any given play time?

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Meaning it really WAS S/S+ level play going on. Which ordinarily is a good thing in terms of fun matches....way better than aerosprays shooting from sniper perches. But then I crash back to where EVERYONE is shooting with aerosprays from sniper perches.
Hahahaha play me in Zones at Museum and you will loathe me with a hatred unseen in all of squid history

and who says its "Aerosprays in sniper perches" and not "snipers in aerospray perches"???? :P

Kikaioh

Full Squid
I'm sick of Inkzookas waging instant, nigh-on uncontestable death from almost anywhere on the map.
I'm sick of the right-stick button, when there's a perfectly unused left bumper button that would have been just as well.

I have a lot of other annoyances, but those are the ones that stick out for me.

Zac.RAR

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sirboopsalot
I'm sick of squid partiers. I just want a good even turf war, but they show up and don't do anything except squid around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom