• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

I'm starting to miss facing Japanese players.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
k. ಠ_ಠ
Not that flaming emoticon again.
It's nothing personal, I just feel more pressured to do well than I really should be.
However, if they give us back world wide match making, they will need to give us dedicated servers, especially once we start paying for internet service. Doing that will help with the intercontinental lag issues and make for a better experience overall..
This basically. I'd accept global matchmaking (albeit somewhat begrudgingly) if they actually gave us a better online service, but frankly I don't see it happening so I'm remaining anti-global matchmaking.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Not that flaming emoticon again.
It's nothing personal, I just feel more pressured to do well than I really should be.
Haha, don't worry. I just found it amusing from an European perspective, where I end up being the only one having a Cyrillic name. So the loneliness stemming from user-names can go both ways depending on who you ask, see. :p

There's really no escaping unnecessary pressure by the current match-matching either way, to be honest. The amount of turf battles I have with single-digit LV people against (close or exactly) LV 50 people pitched against each other makes me break out in cold sweat every time I end up being the one with the single-digit dude on my team against the high level guys. Not sure if the lack of people using Kana in their name are really helping to alleviate this issue in the long run. *shrugs*

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
They make up so much of the active playerbase of Splatoon 2. I believe the game already surpassed more than one million copies over there. In that case I wouldn't be surprised that even if you play late at night your lobby would be filled within 3-5 seconds with Japanese players. I also heard that sometimes in League Team Battles it's harder to find new teams once you reach a very high rank and you keep fighting the same team over and over again. I wish we can see some new blood but looks like we'll mostly be region locked to our respective region when it comes to matchmaking.
This is what I was subtly trying to get at with my region locked thread months ago. You could play Japanese people in league battle before, until the update made it so you couldn't, it sucks. A score of 2007 was 7th place in the North America......... -___-

Like not only is it slow to fill I can see the ceiling. We have less try hards here and let's be honest S+ here is not the same as S+ in Japan...you can see that in videos, it's quite clear.
I want to get a lot better, yes we have excellent players here but they are S+ 50 and I don't always get S+ 50 lol

And honestly yes different play styles would be nice, from any country lol.

Last edited:

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
Regional matchmaking was a disgustingly bad idea. I'd take a slightly laggy match over having no match at all. It's what ruined ARMS for me, because if you were in Australia you'd get 1-3 ranked matches in a day, tops.

Here in Oceania, we get paired up with Japan, which is pretty fun. But whenever Japan goes on Splatfest, it's evident just how horrendous the matchmaking is. I'm talking failing to get turf wars, and not getting more than two people in a ranked lobby above S/S+. I've failed to get freaking Salmon Run lobbies. It's actually unplayable outside single player mode. It boggles my mind that the searching radius doesn't "expand" over time, or anything.

Regarding the skill level in Japan, the players there are super intense and serious. Battling them really taught me a lot about improving my fundamentals, and I feel like a much better player as a result. At the same time, though, I feel like I'm missing out when it comes to battling the rest of the world though. I know how to deal with Oceanic and Japanese players, but I haven't fought anyone in America or Europe at all. Never know if the playstyle or meta per region is different, and I worry if I'll be lost if I play against a team from outside my region.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I personally prefer it if I can read, and thus remember the names of people I play with. And thus know in the following matches who's who.

With Japanese players I cannot possibly tell them apart if there's more than one.
You could be like me and learn Hiragana and Katakana just to read the names of Japanese Splatoon players, lol.

It wasn't that I disliked playing people from other regions, but it almost seemed like the general mindset for most US players was different from that of most in Japan. The Japanese squiddos liked to focus mostly on going for kills, while the North American squiddos weren't as gung-ho about it and it made matches feel less one-sided. (Bear in mind, this is just my personal experience, and I certainly saw some players break away from this norm.)
I don't see how the Japanese playing the game competitively is anything other than good. The whole point of the game is to outplay the opponent; join a private match if you want to squid party. This, along with the ranking system being too lenient, is why I believe Ranked Battle is much worse in Splatoon 2 than it was in Splatoon 1.

Funnily enough, the general consensus these days is the opposite - American players are more bloodthirsty and Japanese players are more objective-minded.
I have never heard that, but maybe it's changed from Splatoon to Splatoon 2.

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
I've been getting matched up with Japanese players all night in turf war. Is it fixed to allow cross-region play?

Last edited:

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I don't miss it at all. Terrible delay, can't remember any names, and tbh I didn't like their playstyle most of the time (not aggressive enough). I am happy with Splatoon 2 as it is. Even though it takes long to find a lobby I'd rather wait longer for a match I'll enjoy them have one immediate bs match after another.

Foxtrot

Full Squid
I've been getting matched up with Japanese players all night in turf war. Is it fixed?
Pretty sure its just people from your own region using Japanese names. The switch isn't region locked, as such it has to support multiple languages and has tons pre-installed. You can switch any time in the settings.

I myself was never there for the original Splatoon so I dont know how things were, nor how bad the lag issues were. I do however know that I'm more for international lobbies. The wait time for ranked matches in 2 is actually horrendous, especially as someone on the east coast who plays in the A.M. I find myself waiting five minutes at a time for matches depending, and half the time I end up playing with the same set of people. Which doesnt sound like a bad thing, but when you keep having to face off against the same player who has owned you every game you play. Its really, really, really demoralizing.

At the very least it would've been nice for Nintendo to included two variants of Turf and Ranked. One regional, and one International. Using that setup I feel Ranked would be more interesting in general; as you could see how you stack against people in your own Country vs the whole world. Leauge IMO should've stayed worldwide, there's basically no point to it now due to the low player base.

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
Pretty sure its just people from your own region using Japanese names. The switch isn't region locked, as such it has to support multiple languages and has tons pre-installed. You can switch any time in the settings.
No, I mean rooms upon rooms filled entirely with Japanese names for hours on end.

Cross-region matchmaking possibly got allowed if you have the proximity for it.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
No, I mean rooms upon rooms filled entirely with Japanese names for hours on end.

Yes if you live close enough you can play with primarily Japanese players. For example, Australian players will find most of their lobbies will pretty much be vs Japan.

Jon914

Pro Squid
I've recently been thrown into all Japanese lobbies in TW at least once a day. I'm on the US West Coast and was playing around 1 AM.

The play style I saw was intense and aggressive (in TW). Everybody would rush mid, lots of splatting, and matches were hotly contested to the last second. No blowouts unless someone DC'ed. Frequent booyahing mid-match.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I don't miss them. I don't mind their playstyle at all, but I did mind the fact that whenever I faced them, they would lag like crazy, which was what had me quitting Splatoon 1 to begin with. So I will happily wait a little while to play a decent match.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't. The Switch's internet is bad enough within my region, let alone worldwide. I hate that being region locked isn't an option rather than just forced, though.

Jon914

Pro Squid
Now, I'm consistently seeing all Japanese matchups in League. It couldn't be any more intense.

First match was SZ in Kelp Dome. They spammed splat bombs like crazy (as if they had the special, but none of them did) and shut us out - and our team had 3 S+ players on it.

2shotsofvodka

Give me all your Vodka
Sometimes I miss them, sometimes I don't. I'd rather have fewer internet problems and be in regional play especially since I have pretty bad internet now--

I do miss the few good times I remember with them In splatty toon 1, One time where this Japanese sniper was taking my entire team, and they were getting so salty over it, but I ended up just squid partying with the guy, at least it was turf war x)

Another turf war moment was when I was with a friend messing around and another japanese squid partier came, ended up adding each other on friendslist ;D

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Finally got put into a full Japanese lobby last night, had a ton of fun! Of course there were issues with lag, which sometimes seemed to work in my favor, but there were moments where on my screen I should not have died to things.

I want to play with more Japanese players, we just need dedicated servers to make the experience more pleasant first.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Personally, I disliked playing against usually entire lobbies of Japanese players in Sploon 1, partialy because they usually were better than me, but mainly because the lag was awful. So far in Sploon 2 I have had almost no internet issues. The one time I did have a disconnect was because the entire lobby disconnected.

However, the wait times have been awful. There have been times where I had to wait for 10 minutes to get a battle! Global matchmaking would be OK, but only if they used dedicated servers.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
American players are more bloodthirsty
^Can confirm. I play like a brutish dog, killing anyone who gets in my way. Only focusing on individual battles with my blaster. That's just my playstyle though.

I do not miss playing against those crazy Japanese players. They could Goku through my shots, and not due to lag. They were just that good.
I never really understood this mentality, ever, just because being Japanese doesn't automatically make you a pro. There are bad players who happen to play in Japan too. The "ninjas" from the land of the rising sun, are called "good players" Trust me, North America, Europe, and Australia have good players too.

Other than that, I don't think it's healthy for this game, especially being an e sport in the making to have a separate player pool all together. It's not healthy for our meta, or their meta because when one advances, so does the other one. Plus Japan and the West were able to push each other, and test out their different playstyles. Maybe we'll learn a thing or two watching them play, and vice versa. The Japanese don't discover everything about the game before the west does. Playing with the Japanese also helped us gauge how good we were on a global scale, now all we have is our region to play against each other, which is honestly being pretty ignorant when there's multiple communities across the seas that we now can't directly compare ourselves with.

I was never really against the Japanese, I never really minded playing against them. Sure, when I was starting out it was infuriating to get splatted by some incomprehensible name tags all the time. But, like with every multiplayer game, I'm going to get rekt unless I know what I'm doing, and I put forth effort to better myself in the game. That's not going to change for you guys who hated Japan because they seemed inherently good. Trust me, there will be ThatOneGuy who will mercilessly kill you at every opportunity and punish you for your lack of skill.

shudder

Senior Squid

Yeah I really doubt these are all Americans with Japanese names. I'm on the west coast and I'm pretty sure it's mostly Japanese players. I have mixed feelings about playing against Japanese players simply because of the bad netcode in the game. People complained that they wanted regional matchmaking in the first game but the reason why, even if they didn't know it, was the latency issues not because all the Japanese players were so much better. Nintendo took the easy way out and made it all regional matchmaking instead of actually improving the online experience for the sequel.

Some of the funnest matches I've had though so far in the sequel were with Japanese players, at the same time some of the laggiest matches I've had were against Japanese players lol. I guess I'd call it a mixed bag which sums up the entire experience with the game so far. Hopefully we continue to see gradual improvements.

Kise Ryota

Inkster Jr.
I'm from Brazil and I can't find players. No one plays Rainmaker, and with SZ and TC, it can easily take 4 minutes or more to be able to play a match. Obviously I don't like to play with japaneses and that 350ms of latency, but It's still better have a match to play than having nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom