• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

I'm starting to miss facing Japanese players.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I've been noticing lately that I've been getting tossed into Japanese lobbies later at night. So far I've been really like it, and it almost feels right, as it was the norm in Splatoon 1. They have also given me some great challenges, as I later see most of the Japanese players are higher ranked with some really good ability sets.

As of right now, the bad lag is the only issue when fighting them. If it's true that we will get dedicated servers once we start paying for online, that problem will be mostly gone and there will be no downside. Sure on average Japanese players are more dedicated to this game, but their skill level isn't something one can't achieve if they play enough and practice. People really should not psyche themselves out over Japanese players.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I've been noticing lately that I've been getting tossed into Japanese lobbies later at night. So far I've been really like it, and it almost feels right, as it was the norm in Splatoon 1. They have also given me some great challenges, as I later see most of the Japanese players are higher ranked with some really good ability sets.

As of right now, the bad lag is the only issue when fighting them. If it's true that we will get dedicated servers once we start paying for online, that problem will be mostly gone and there will be no downside. Sure on average Japanese players are more dedicated to this game, but their skill level isn't something one can't achieve if they play enough and practice. People really should not psyche themselves out over Japanese players.
Is Splatoon 2's matchmaking not region locked? I was under the impression it was. :confused:

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
You know what I miss? I miss when my lobbies didn't time out 8 dang times a day. I don't particularly want to go against more japanese players, I think that is a bit glorified. I just want my Turf War lobbies to fill up fast again. Global matchmaking with the current server issues would be a nightmare though. I think we seriously need dedicated servers + improved tickrate to get global matchmaking back. Once that happens, ill be happy. because believe it or not, there are people who actually like playing turf war, and having to wait 7 or so minutes for a lobby to fill up makes me wanna chew off my fingers. and you can't even argue that regional matchmaking is helping the game with lag and disconnects, because the horrible tickrate replaces the lag issues from the first game, and there's a disconnect every 5 matches. Disconnects are a SERIOUS squissue and needs to get fixed. Something's gotta give here.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Is Splatoon 2's matchmaking not region locked? I was under the impression it was. :confused:
Yes, the game prioritizes finding you a match with the best connection, which gives off the impression that regional matchmaking is a thing.
I highly doubt that we will get dedicated servers. It would be a serious undertaking on Nintendo's side of things to redesign their networking for Splatoon 2 and integrate that into the live game.

Last edited:

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Yes, the game prioritizes finding you a match with the best connection, which gives off the impression that regional matchmaking is a thing.
Weird, I didn't realize this. The way everyone was always putting it made me think it was regional.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I highly doubt that we will get dedicated servers. It would be a serious undertaking on Nintendo's side of things to redesign their networking for Splatoon 2 and integrate that into the live game. Also, dedicated servers would just make the regional
Kinda left that unfinished, friend. That aside, a lot of us are optimistic for dedicated servers, because the alternative is that Nintendo is going to charge money for THIS oddball matchmaking and tickrate, which will do more to kill the playerbase than anything else.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I highly doubt that we will get dedicated servers. It would be a serious undertaking on Nintendo's side of things to redesign their networking for Splatoon 2 and integrate that into the live game. Also, dedicated servers would just make the regional
They need to do something to make the online service better once we start paying next year. Even if they have to shut the game's online down for two weeks to implement this, I'll take it if we can get the issues with the online in this game fixed. DCs, intercontinental lag, poor matchmaking, Peer to Peer connections, these are not things paid online games should be burdened with. Once in a while internet issues are expected, but if we pay for online and still have all these issues? That will hurt this game's life span hard.

I can already tell Splatoon will be one of the main selling points for Nintendo's online service, one way to make everyone happy is to provide a better experience overall. For now we are getting unlimited online for free, so while we should complain, knowing its free is a good excuse. But that's going to change in a few months, so they need to convey we are getting our money's worth.

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
They need to do something to make the online service better once we start paying next year. Even if they have to shut the game's online down for two weeks to implement this, I'll take it if we can get the issues with the online in this game fixed. DCs, intercontinental lag, poor matchmaking, Peer to Peer connections, these are not things paid online games should be burdened with. Once in a while internet issues are expected, but if we pay for online and still have all these issues? That will hurt this game's life span hard.

I can already tell Splatoon will be one of the main selling points for Nintendo's online service, one way to make everyone happy is to provide a better experience overall. For now we are getting unlimited online for free, so while we should complain, knowing its free is a good excuse. But that's going to change in a few months, so they need to convey we are getting our money's worth.
Oh trust me, I would love it if Nintendo would implement dedicated servers, but I don't have faith that they will do it for this game. Nintendo is quite behind on a lot of things when it comes to this sort of thing, which is evident in how they want to have online voice chat and parties with a separate app.

I mean, for $20, they can easily justify why you are paying that much, since it is such a small amount. Online play, eshop deals, a free classic game each month, and whatever else they may want to add on. We might think that this is enough for what we are paying, but Nintendo does.

Nintendo has already explained their plans for their online, and I don't think they have their priorities set for doing any significant overhaul on their online games. They might tune things so that it will be better than it currently is, but other than that, I am not holding my breath for dedicated servers.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
Oh trust me, I would love it if Nintendo would implement dedicated servers, but I don't have faith that they will do it for this game. Nintendo is quite behind on a lot of things when it comes to this sort of thing, which is evident in how they want to have online voice chat and parties with a separate app.

I mean, for $20, they can easily justify why you are paying that much, since it is such a small amount. Online play, eshop deals, a free classic game each month, and whatever else they may want to add on. We might think that this is enough for what we are paying, but Nintendo does.

Nintendo has already explained their plans for their online, and I don't think they have their priorities set for doing any significant overhaul on their online games. They might tune things so that it will be better than it currently is, but other than that, I am not holding my breath for dedicated servers.
The phone app really drives me nuts, I lost my phone at the Excel centre (playing splatoon2) and now I can't use voice chat? Shame on you Nintendo

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
The phone app really drives me nuts, I lost my phone at the Excel centre (playing splatoon2) and now I can't use voice chat? Shame on you Nintendo
I mean, if you have a computer, there is always apps such as Discord, which makes the Switch app pointless from a voice chat standpoint. But the app does do some cool things such as automatically splitting people up into their respective teams whenever a match starts.

Another good thing about the app is that you are able to view things such as stats, what the map rotation is gonna be, ordering gear, etc, so it has it's uses.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
I don't have a computer or phone though :(

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral

They would have to rewrite a big portion of the game to change the online infrastructure. They had the chance to do that when developing Splatoon 2, but they chose to keep the same online from Splatoon 1, so I really don't see that happening. If it does, dedicated servers doesn't really mean flawless online either and with dedicated servers, chances are we won't be able to play with people from different regions.

There are pros and cons for each online "system".

Edit:

I think we seriously need dedicated servers + improved tickrate to get global matchmaking back.
Dedicated servers likely means the game will be server locked. Every online game I play or played with dedicated servers works that way. Dota 2, League of Legends, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, numerous MMORPGs and a few fighting games as well. Some games allow you to change the server you want to play if you want, but it naturally comes with a cost of playing with a higher ping and lag (depending on the distance), but none of them have dedicated servers with global matchmaking. Because, if you have dedicated servers, the idea is to play with people near you, for an experience with reduced lag. Global matchmaking goes against that.

So, while dedicated servers could improve the online experience, it wouldn't help filling lobbies faster. On the contrary, it would make it even slower, because like it or not, the Splatoon 2 player base is still small. For Japanese players it would be fine, but for other regions, the wait time wouldn't be fun. Dedicated servers aren't an issue for a game like Overwatch (in over a year, I haven't waited for more than 15 seconds to find a match in that game), but I don't know if it is a good idea for Splatoon 2.

Last edited:

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Now here's something peculiar. A couple nights ago, I was in a league pair with a friend of mine and we were using Japanese names mostly for the fun of it. What we immediately noticed was that we were getting solely Japanese players in our lobby, and we were getting well over our heads as a result. We then switched our names back to English characters and we started getting other English names again. This can't be a coincidence, right?

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
Now here's something peculiar. A couple nights ago, I was in a league pair with a friend of mine and we were using Japanese names mostly for the fun of it. What we immediately noticed was that we were getting solely Japanese players in our lobby, and we were getting well over our heads as a result. We then switched our names back to English characters and we started getting other English names again. This can't be a coincidence, right?
No it's not a coincidence, Nintendo clearly thinks that if you have an English name than your English and from England, it doesn't work like that. If your name is Lili or something then you'll be put with Asian people. It's just a matter of fact Nintendo is behind in these mechanics against Sony and Microsoft

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Obviously you need more than one session to draw a conclusion. Do it 2 or 3 more times and see if it consistently happens. I'm not inclined to believe this immediately because stranger things have happened in this game with it's unbelievably odd matchmaking.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
Obviously you need more than one session to draw a conclusion. Do it 2 or 3 more times and see if it consistently happens. I'm not inclined to believe this immediately because stranger things have happened in this game with it's unbelievably odd matchmaking.
When I was in China last month (one of the cities Shanghai) I was constantly getting put up against Chineese and Japanese players that screwed me up with their jet squelchers. Then in another far away city I was getting put with American players so I'm not sure how the system works but whatever way it's confusing :p

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Now that would be a plot twist. Also funny and tragic. Though coming from Nintendo, that wouldn't be surprising.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
Now that would be a plot twist. Also funny and tragic. Though coming from Nintendo, that wouldn't be surprising.
I mean doesn't anyone realise how behind Nintendo is on the online stuff

"It's 2013 and Nintendo is shipping a console that is permanently offline"

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
"It's 2025 and Nintendo is shipping a console that is permanently offline"
Fixed that for you.

But yeah, they are backwards. When it comes to online stuff, I am not too bothered by that. In other things they sometimes really irk me.

Was it not for Splatoon 2, I don't think I would even have a Switch.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
Fixed that for you.

But yeah, they are backwards. When it comes to online stuff, I am not too bothered by that. In other things they sometimes really irk me.

Was it not for Splatoon 2, I don't think I would even have a Switch.
That was an actual quote LOL (Austin Evans)

I wanted a Switch so desperately for Splatoon 2, in the firsts platoon my gamepad charger broke April last year so I was stuck for a year and a half not playing any of that addiction :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom