1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

3. We just overhauled our look and made some big updates. Learn about all the changes!

4. Nintendo has officially revealed their new console, previously codenamed NX! It's called the Nintendo Switch and they've announced Splatoon 2, coming this summer!

Join the Splatoon 2 hype and discussion!

In your opinion: Map and Mode combos that make you go "Nope."

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by Lester Roquefort, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Lester Roquefort

Lester Roquefort Pro Squid

NNID:
    LesterRoquefort
    Personally, any map combo that has TWO Splat Zones that are FAR away makes me go "Nope, not playing Splatoon now."

Specifically, Port Mackerel... i don't even touch ranked when it's on Splat Zones.

For Turf War, i don't mind many maps, but Blackbelly Skatepark kind of vexes me.

Brie_no.20 likes this.
  2. Leronne

Leronne Inkling Commander

NNID:
    Leronne
    Moray towers and any ranked mode (turf war is fine). If there is one weapon i have trouble facing it's chargers (i'm getting better at fighting them, but i'm not quite there). I do play it sometimes, but i avoid it as much as possible. Also i'm getting really sick of saltspray splatzones. I know the map has this disadvantage to it (i barely notice it, but i know it's there), but I haven't played any other mode (excluding turf war) on that map in months and it's annoying -.- i want to play tower control on it. not rainmaker because you can stall it in the back. They should make a giant wall there that blocks the back of that map. Also blackbelly rainmaker but i think they removed it from rotation all together. Every other mode+map combo i'm fine with.

3. Clawford

Clawford Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Clawford
    Moray and Flounder on any ranked mode, especially if it is Rainmaker. I don't mind the chargers. The problem for me is the fact that what would be the splat zones are almost always being camped by a roller whenever I play. Either there or when you jump onto the perch from your spawn on Moray, or a roller is camping in the corner in Flounder because why not.

4. J.E. Rodríguez

J.E. Rodríguez Inkling

NNID:
    JoSeDu27
    Blackbelly in splatzones... it's not even that bad, I've won a lot of matches, but i don't like how easy it is to camp in this map

5. VideoGameVirtuoso

VideoGameVirtuoso Pro Squid

NNID:
    ExtremeTechPro
    Moray Towers and Tower Control is quite difficult for me to play on. In order for me to successfully benefit my team, I would need to push very hard on each floor of elevation, then keep track of each falling or shooting enemy that spawns.

6. Pinko

Pinko Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    Pinkolol16
    Port or Arowana Rainmaker. It is so easy to either push forward or be pushed back in these stages. Not so much Walleye since it has a bit of elevation unlike Arowana's ramps that stop progress a bit.

7. Airi

Airi Inkling Commander

NNID:
    radiorabbits
    Whenever Moray Towers or Arowana Mall are in the rotation, I will refuse to play Ranked. I hate both of those stages so much and I just can't handle playing Ranked on them. I'm also not fond of Rainmaker on Mahi-Mahi Resort, so I'm starting to avoid that as well.

8. SupaTim

SupaTim Prodigal Squid

NNID:
    SupaTim101
    I hate Museum in all modes.

I will not play Arowana Rainmaker.

I'm also not a huge fan of maps with two splatzones.

I used to hate Moray in all modes, but now I just find it mildly irritating.

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Inkling Commander

NNID:
    BlackZeroVA
    Anything that says Rain Maker. Particularly "corridor" maps like Walleye and Hammerhead.

Anything on Arowana. It's weird, I used to love that map. Now, I just can't play worth crap on it and groan every time I see it.

Turf War on Saltspray. Again, I used to love this map. Problem is, I keep getting teamed up with people who don't understand the important places you need to cinch down. They let the other team take the top square no problem, then spend the rest of the match getting wiped out trying to take it over. The few chances we manage to secure it, they scatter to different parts of the map and let the enemy take it back instead of keeping a few people there to rack up kills and send one or two out to ink other areas. For some reason, I keep getting teamed up with the "gotta cover this walkway trololololol" people.

SupaTim likes this.
  10. alienintel

alienintel Inkling

NNID:
    alienintel
    Personally, I don't mind most maps on any of the modes, but if Moray Towers or Port Mackerel come in the rotation for Splat Zones, I'll play but reluctantly. The zones are too far apart, and capturing both for more than a few seconds is unlikely, making a knockout win also unlikely. I used to hate Museum d'Alfonsino but its more mildly irritating to me now.

11. Oxenfree

Oxenfree Hydra Kids, Hydra wife!
    Premium

NNID:
    MuhFugginMoose
    Tower Control on any Stage. . .
    I despise TC so much.

12. Njok

Njok Bouncer

I wouldn't go as far as not playing certain rotations but when it's Moray and Mahi Mahi zones at the same time, I sigh. Lobbies with 4+ E Liters aren't my favorites.

13. AidanC97

AidanC97 Senior Squid

NNID:
    aidancalhoun
    Mahi Mahi on any ranked challenge. NOOOOOPE

14. skyphoi

skyphoi Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    melancholywish
    Mahi Mahi TC is the worst on my list, but I might get used to it. Museum in any mode is also pretty irritating so far, but again - I might get used to it eventually. Moray can also be no fun since often there's more than one E-Liter that you have to dance around. But I usually don't bother avoiding any maps because I don't want to wait hours again to play!

15. CK3

CK3 Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Icarus3
    Tower control with any map involving water.

Miirisa likes this.
  16. DekuKitty

DekuKitty Pro Squid

NNID:
    SkyeHunter
    Saltspray + Anything.

Any time I notice Saltspray in rotation: "Hey that 'outdoors' thing people always talk about sounds kinda fun all a sudden!"

Reila and Swampster like this.
  17. Lester Roquefort

NNID:
    LesterRoquefort
    I'd reluctantly agree with you on this one....

Tower Control feels like there's only one solution to win.... But i'm probably playing it wrong. Even so, i still feel like TC is a "Stay on it or we lose" mode.

Personally though, i like Rainmaker on Museum. That map demands you have a plan for it on that mode.

18. Lord_Espurr

Lord_Espurr Inkling

NNID:
    wheresthetoliet
    For me it's Moray Towers splat zones and Saltspray Rig rainmaker. They just turn into huge bloodbaths and I never have any fun playing them.

19. F1r3tar

F1r3tar Inkling

NNID:
    F1r3tar
    Splat Zones in general, because it's the hardest mode to make a comeback on if the enemy team has central control.

20. Oxenfree

Premium

NNID:
    MuhFugginMoose
    I'd say TC is. Once the opponent gets to a certain point, it becomes more and more difficult to prevent them from moving. I mean, QR, QSJ combinations came about almost exclusively for this game mode, and it wins games too. TC is just too much going on at once, and there's not enough feeling of accomplishment at the end of the match, to warrant me to ever pick it back up again. It's a mess of a game mode.

21. F1r3tar

F1r3tar Inkling

NNID:
    F1r3tar
    I get where you're going. It does become extremely hard to get a team off the tower once they've pushed it really far, but that's where specials come into play. I honestly think it's harder to make a comeback with specials on Splat Zones, because a more centralized control point grants the other team with more movement options, and an easier time to pick off players on your team especially on maps like Kelp Dome.

22. BlackZero

BlackZero Inkling Commander

NNID:
    BlackZeroVA
    That's what makes it so beautiful. It's pure, complete, clinically tested & doctor recommended chaos. Everyone jumps on the tower and all hell breaks loose. I get to enjoy it from afar, and it truly is a wonderful bit of theater seeing 6 brushes or rollers trying to smack each other at the same time. Even if I lose, I can't stay mad because it's hilarious.

skyphoi likes this.
  23. Mateiüsthesquidwarrior

NNID:
    m0nkeyd0g
    Here are some of mine:

- Splat Zones on Kelp Dome

- Turf War and Splat Zones on Flounder Heights

- Turf War and Splat Zones on Camp Triggerfish

- Splat Zones on Port Mackerel

You may notice a lot of splat zones on that list, but despite all that I actually do like splat zones on most of the other maps, especially Blackberry Skatepark, Walleye Warehouse, and Museum d'Alfonsino.

24. Oxenfree

Premium

NNID:
    MuhFugginMoose
    Yea, lol, that's my problem with it. I like structure and games that aren't just who ever is on the tower and manages to kill someone. Splat Zones requires at least a little bit more strategy and effort, Rain Maker requires you to find ways to the goal, Tower control is simply a game of get to the tower first. The set path means the enemy knows exactly where you are going, and you know exactly where they are going. There's no way to swerve off the path and go down an alternate route like you can in RM. I just strongly dislike TC, I have ever since its creation.

25. Inyo

Inyo Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    SurfGreenGibby
    Moray in Turf. It's fine in the other modes.

Triggerfish in Turf, as well. That lousy chokepoint drives me nuts.

Reila, Silxer and SupaTim like this.
  26. SupaTim

SupaTim Prodigal Squid

NNID:
    SupaTim101
    I'm totally with you.

Not too long ago there was a turf rotation of Moray and Triggerfish. It was awful. Chargers everywhere. No alternate routes. I find those maps boring because the games play out almost exactly the same very time.

Inyo likes this.
  27. Inyo

Inyo Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    SurfGreenGibby
    Yeah, I used to like Triggerfish until everybody figured out that you can just sit on the wall and shoot anybody who dares to try and get by. It's one of my faves for Ranked, though (well, maybe not Zones)

Port Mac really, really needs to change, guys and gals. Remember when it was a Splatfest map? My team must have spawn trapped 50 other teams at least, it's such a boring way to win.

28. shiyongyi

shiyongyi Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    jaddasbranch
    black belly anything.
    saltspray zones
    arowana zones

29. Zero Meddler

Zero Meddler Inkling Cadet

Arowana Mall and E-Liter Towers any mode.

30. Kiver

Kiver Full Squid

NNID:
    KiverZ
    Moray Towers and Flounder Heights. (any mode)

31. rsnw

rsnw Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    Jamipami
    Museum. Mahi mahi. NOPE
    (also moray with zones)

32. Spiderface

Spiderface Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Spiderface1992
    Rainmaker on saltspray. Noooooooooooo thanks.

Tuff likes this.
  33. Silxer

Silxer Pro Squid

NNID:
    Dan1771
    If I'm in a squad it doesn't really matter what map it is, but in solo matches I tend to avoid:
    • Saltspray in any gamemode.
    • Arowana Mall in any gamemode.
    • Moray in any gamemode.
    • Hammerhead Rainmaker

34. Ayykari

Ayykari Senior Squid

Bluefin Depot, any mode. I'm so glad that it's almost never in rotation.

Tuff likes this.
  35. beehives

beehives Inkling

NNID:
    glazinq
    Moray towers in tower control dear god why and hammer head bridge in turf,rainmaker,and splat zones not in tower control though.

36. Ambunny

Ambunny Inkling

NNID:
    Ambunnie
    I like all the maps and modes, but for some reason lately Piranha Pit on any ranked mode gives me trouble. The map feels too "open" somehow, and nearly every match I've played has multiple camping e-liters or dynamos that end up with huge k/d ratios. The conveyors also make it harder to dodge appropriately at times. That being said, I don't openly avoid the map, I just play a little more defensively on it. And usually run a quick respawn/comeback set with special charge up/saver so I have more zooka to coax them off perches.

37. theflaminggamer

theflaminggamer Inkling

NNID:
    theflaminggamer
    Even though I play rollers, Moray towers + Splat Zones is completly dominated by them. Running through the area with your roller down can capture it almost instantly.

38. DekuKitty

DekuKitty Pro Squid

NNID:
    SkyeHunter
    Moray Towers any Ranked Mode. Because I know for a fact any time I play there, the enemy team will have at least one E-liter. Probably more. And it wouldn't be as much of a problem if my main weapons weren't all short range.

I also just hate Saltspray Rig with a burning passion for no real reason in particular. I guess the name fits, because every time I play on it I'm so salty I might as well be a salt truck spraying it. If it comes into rotation and I don't want to play the mode it's not on, I'm like "Hey that outside thing people are always talking about sounds interesting!"

39. Lester Roquefort

NNID:
    LesterRoquefort
    The only thing bad about Splat Zones, that i can figure, is dual zones that are miles apart from each other. You have to actually stratedgize on those ones... and for a lack of voice or chat, that's pretty hard.

40. 007

007 Inkling

NNID:
    screer1
    Anything on splat zones! I just don't find it enjoyable like Tower control or Rainmaker. If someone forced me to play it at gunpoint and it was Hammerhead bridge........ oh..... shoot me!