• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

In your opinion: Map and Mode combos that make you go "Nope."

AbsentPlayer

Full Squid
NNID
absentplayer
Hammer Head Bridge: anything
Museum D'alfonsino (I utterly HATE this map): anything
Urchin Underpass: Anything (I prefer the old underpass but I've only ever played it in single player)

every other map: TC and RM

Ott

Inkster Jr.
Rainmaker and Museum D'alfonsino are a terrible combination. It's utterly painful to play. It's also mildly annoying to get the rainmaker through the side ally in Camp Triggerfish. It takes so long, and you can't swim for half of it.

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
Pretty much any ranked mode at Moray Towers makes me say "Nope." There's just so many high up perches for snipers. I've got to be the biggest scrub ever for saying this. XD

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
Splatzones Flounder Heights
I am always hesitant to play if it's Splatzones Flounder Heights. "Get Ambushed" the map. Not even E Liter Towers will daunt me as much as Flounder Heights Zones

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
Pretty much anything on Ancho-V Games and Kelp Dome. For some reason, I find these particular two maps really annoying to approach and play. Also, I hate how finicky the neutral zone detection is in Ancho-V.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
Turf War anything nowadays. I have a lot more fun getting stomped in ranked than winning Turf War. I use it sometimes to level up gear and see how an experimental build feels but eeehhhhhh.

Saltspray Rig also really sucks in solo queue. If I'm doing twin squads or something and I know I'm going to have a sniper then it's fine but getting stuck against a team with a great E-liter when your team has no real answers sucks so much. Usually when I'm using the CJS I can counter snipers on a lot of maps but Saltspray really isn't one of them. Maybe once I get better. Saltspray sucks a lot in turf war because it's just so centralized on holding the top of the map and I feel like it's always my job to hold it. My team never seems to be able to maintain their position without me.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Lessee.
Any mode and Arowana
Any mode and Museum (but it's a bit more tolerable than Arowana, I feel)

Having those two maps in one rotation is the bane of my existence and I usually just sit out until the next map rotation.

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
Any mode on saltspray rig for the most part, and turf wars on arowana mall
when i used to play ranked, i could tolerate rainmaker and splatzones on arowana(i cant remember playing tower control too much on it)
though ill say any ranked map on bluefin depot are just augh (i dont mind turf wars)
while the museum annoys me, i can tolerate it for the most part.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
All of the ranked modes on Moray.

Splat Zones: 1 E-liter can pretty much control both zones from the sniper platform right before you get to mid (you know what one I'm talking about)

Tower Control: The tower bases are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO far from spawn! It's crazy! I'll die 1 time and the game will end before I can get back to the tower!

Rainmaker: Decent at best. The rainmaker pedestal is closer to your spawn, but still very far away.

The problem with Moray is that it's so HUGE!!! There is a ton of room to fill, so the splat zones have to be far apart. For Rainmaker and Tower Control, the base/pedestal is too far away from spawn, so you can't die without losing. The problem with just moving it closer is that then you have an INSANE amount of distance between mid and the base/pedestal. Overall, Moray Towers is not a very well-designed map.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I haven't touched blackbelly rainmaker in almost a year.

Up until now I would have avoided ranked if I saw it in rotation but now... I would jump right in only because I kind of feel obligated to renew my distaste for it.
(that or prove myself wrong and actually find it ok this time)

Too bad I will probably never catch it again as it is only in rotation during solar eclipses.

PS: Mahi mahi and kelp dome make me cringe a tad (because I suck at them), butte tat ain't gunna stahp meh frum BRUSSIAN BOi!!

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
I tend to avoid Port Zones specifically, as 95% of matches on this map/mode end in a stalemate and the scores are like 99-100, or it's an immediate 0-100 as soon as a team takes control because of how hard it is to get out of the spawn alleys.
Other than that....
-Moray Towers, a.k.a E-liter hell, in general. This map just doesn't feel fun when there are 6 or 7 chargers in one match. Because yes, I have seen this happen.
-Flounder in general. One sentence: Where did he come from, where did he go!?
I also have a certain affinity for falling off this stage.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I have a great fear of TC in general, but TC on Moray scares me. While the map is not as bad as it used to be, a good enemy charger can ruin your team entirely if you have nothing to counter it. The prospect of sitting on a slow moving tower in plain sight of everyone is not fun.

Port Mackerel has lost a lot of its luster to me for just about every mode nowadays. Most battles are complete shutouts, with lots of spawn camping. And certain weapons are just too good there.

I tend to avoid Port Zones specifically, as 95% of matches on this map/mode end in a stalemate and the scores are like 99-100, or it's an immediate 0-100 as soon as a team takes control because of how hard it is to get out of the spawn alleys.
It's funny that I usually do fairly well in that combo, but I still hate it for all the reasons you just listed. It' way too stressful, and at best(outside of a battle that has an actual back and forth), you win after having no real change for over 5 minutes, and at worst, you are beaten back early, and the enemy team keeps you locked in the base with ease.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
So maybe I’m a weirdo, but I’ve finally force-fed myself all of the combos I hated enough so that now I’m OK with all of them. Now, maybe I lose more combos more than others (HEY Hammerhead Zones!), but I finally feel like I could definitely win any one. I can legitimately say I enjoy the game in all modes now, which feels refreshing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom