• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

In your opinion: Map and Mode combos that make you go "Nope."

Ashmia

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5925-5789-2185
Saltspray Rig in all modes. I groan when I see that map in rotation. Kelp Dome Rainmaker, because it's so easy to walk over the grate and right into the enemy's team base (I didn't even realize that was possible the first time I played this map/mode). Flounder Heights in all modes, though I tolerate it in Turf War. Any map that has two splat zones, especially if they're a distance apart. And finally, Blackbelly TC, since everyone and their mother brings a Luna Blaster.

In general though, I really hate Rainmaker. I can tolerate it in Walleye or Arowana, but I feel like a lot of maps just weren't built for it.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
Moray Towers in Turf War is the only map/mode combo I reeeeally can't stand. Arowana Turf War and kinda Splat Zones isn't the best thing ever, but I can deal. Moray Turf War against a decent E-liter scope is just infuriating, especially considering how awesome the map is in ranked. I'd love to see the Splatoon team implement some elements from ranked Moray into the Turf War version.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
my bottom 3 stages are probably Museum, Saltspray and Hammerhead. I particular NOPE them on Zones, RM and Zones respectively. But I dont really enjoy them on any mode.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Lately, Piranha Pit with Splat Zones has made me avoid Ranked altogether. Even if there is a stage I like for Splat Zones like Kelp Dome, I'll refuse to play because I just can't stand Piranha Pit on that mode. x.x

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Moray Towers in Turf War is the only map/mode combo I reeeeally can't stand. Arowana Turf War and kinda Splat Zones isn't the best thing ever, but I can deal. Moray Turf War against a decent E-liter scope is just infuriating, especially considering how awesome the map is in ranked. I'd love to see the Splatoon team implement some elements from ranked Moray into the Turf War version.
I had forgotten just how much I hate Moray on TW until last night.

I was raging pretty hard, to the point that my wife started rolling her eyes. Then she walked over and said, "no wonder, you're 'favorite' map is in rotation." So, I guess that explains it. The map needs that "sneaky" platform around the sniper perches, otherwise it is way too e-liter centric and conflict oriented. I was consistently getting 10+ kills, which is kinda high for me on turf wars.

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
It also just has no movement options. Everything is so narrow and constricted. In Ranked, you have more options to be evasive and make interesting plays.

AlsoDededork649

Pro Squid
NNID
DARandall4711
Pirahna Zones
Ancho-V Games on Everything

Something just never clicked with Ancho-V. Super sniper friendly, way too open (largest map) ironically with snipers whenever I play them at least, the fan platforms get in the way! God, I hate it.

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
Tower Control on Port Mackerel and Rainmaker on Moray.

duskrelics

Inkling
NNID
reeves36
museum d'alfonsino rainmaker & moray towers tc/rainmaker. those are my two least favorite stages and i feel they just don't work well at all on those modes. especially since its so easy for a sniper to dominate the map. :(

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
Any map/mode that the outcome is nearly decided before the game begins if your team doesn't have a charger and the enemies do.

It's really the chargers that over-centralize a good chunk of this game. It's an unsolvable issue with how Splatoon uses asynchronous networking to host the games. Due to this, all the charger has to do is hit you where you appear on their screen, and no matter where you actually were in your own game, it counts as a hit and you die. Asynchronous chargers are nearly unstoppable sometimes when they have lag and it allows them to shoot you before the game syncs rendering your dodging useless.

Some of the worst map offenders being:

Towers
Resort
Museum
Mall
Depot
Warehouse

Basically any map that a good perch can cover a good portion of the map, a skilled charger with even a little lag is a major threat. To the point that honestly, the level of play you display can sometimes be rendered null. Although this is coming from an Octobrush main's viewpoint, so take it as an opinion from a short ranged player.

Last edited:

MuteBard

Inkster Jr.
Really dislike hammerhead on all modes tbh. Event to the point that I like Flounder Zones a bit better, a map combo i used to desperately hate. I dont know what it is, i just dislike sniping there, feels like a mess.

Ashmia

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5925-5789-2185
Really dislike hammerhead on all modes tbh. Event to the point that I like Flounder Zones a bit better, a map combo i used to desperately hate. I dont know what it is, i just dislike sniping there, feels like a mess.
I definitely agree with that. I find sniping on Flounder to be harder for me than any other map, even the redesigned Underpass.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
Hammerhead Bridge, period. In any mode, really lol. It's such a terrible stage. WAY too many obstructing environments, doesn't really benefit any one weapon with such a mess of giant walls and random patches you can't ink...I never enjoy making the choice between trudging across that long fenced bridge or swimming through that mess of obstacles below. Also, Saltspray Rig or Arowana Mall + Splat Zones = big fat nope. Way too much of a charger advantage, claustrophobic corridors and weird hills.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kelp Dome + Rainmaker.

Ashmia

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5925-5789-2185
I mentioned it. I hate rainmaker already, but when I see that map or Flounder in rotation, I avoid ranked like the plague.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I actually love Kelp Dome, though it is one of those Rainmaker stages where the match could end a little too suddenly due to the huge shortcut option. Same issue on Saltspray Rig. I honestly adore Rainmaker, easily my favorite mode. But some stages really aren't suited to it.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Kelp is really fun. Theres a lot of high risk plays you can make, but its always quite easy to make a comeback. Like if you stop the rainmaker near the goal, you can run it around the ramp on the right side of the map (from spawn point view) and make a decent leap into opponent's territory. It's not overly complex, either, and the shape of the map allows for a lot of back-and-forth and overall interesting matches

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Kelp is really fun. Theres a lot of high risk plays you can make, but its always quite easy to make a comeback. Like if you stop the rainmaker near the goal, you can run it around the ramp on the right side of the map (from spawn point view) and make a decent leap into opponent's territory. It's not overly complex, either, and the shape of the map allows for a lot of back-and-forth and overall interesting matches
I don't like stages that are designed to give the opposing team massive comebacks. Games and maps should be designed to encourage more interaction and team play. Rainmaker + Kelp Dome is the antithesis of that, and the fact that people can literally just travel halfway across the map without the opposing team being able to do anything about it (and then being able to use multiple super weapons to push through the one choke point to the end) is hilariously stupid. It only produces interesting matches in the sense that anyone can win with less relevance to player skill, which is an awful design for any competitive game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom