• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

In your opinion: Map and Mode combos that make you go "Nope."

Swampster

Inkling
NNID
YarnConfusion
While I haven't played Ranked matches yet, I find Moray Towers and Camp Triggerfish to be especially aggravating.

Moray Towers is because the narrow map design generally means it's easy to lose control of the map if you don't know what you're doing, plus Rollers and Chargers tend to be more aggravating here as Chargers can snipe everyone from above and Rollers, well...narrow map design strikes again.

Camp Triggerfish is because like Moray Towers, the map design makes it easy to lose control and it really doesn't help there's sniping spots at the spawn points. It just feels poorly thought-out for me because once you can snipe the other team and ensure they can't leave the spawn point without getting splatted, all bets are off.

I'm probably going to hate more maps once I start doing Ranked Battles, however...

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
While I haven't played Ranked matches yet, I find Moray Towers and Camp Triggerfish to be especially aggravating.

Moray Towers is because the narrow map design generally means it's easy to lose control of the map if you don't know what you're doing, plus Rollers and Chargers tend to be more aggravating here as Chargers can snipe everyone from above and Rollers, well...narrow map design strikes again.

Camp Triggerfish is because like Moray Towers, the map design makes it easy to lose control and it really doesn't help there's sniping spots at the spawn points. It just feels poorly thought-out for me because once you can snipe the other team and ensure they can't leave the spawn point without getting splatted, all bets are off.

I'm probably going to hate more maps once I start doing Ranked Battles, however...
I agree, Triggerfish is kinda awful in Turf War, It is way better for the ranked modes.

FraidyCat

Inkling
NNID
FraidyKat
Usually I try playing and adapt to the map, maybe learn something, you know?
But I straight up turned off my WiiU when I first saw "Piranha Pit Tower Control"

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Just came here to say that I previously talked a lot of **** on Hammerhead... and I still wouldn't consider it a better stage, BUT, since I've picked up the E-Liter I've come to appreciate it more.

Being a foot soldier navigating in and around all of those scattered obstacles and grates and clutter is pure torture, but posting up on one of the stages many perches and letting the killing commence is just glorious.

AC_Decoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
actionjackson105
Anything Port Mackerel. Those long hallways and then the spaces inbetween boxes where enemies can duck into makes it a sniping heck hole for me. I like to play charger a lot now, and I just can't seem to get a grip on Port Mackerel. So much so, that I would MUCH rather play on Urchin Underpass as a charger than attempt to snipe at PM.... yep.

Kaioora

Inkling
For me, the combos that tend to make me the saltiest are Splat Zones on Port Mackerel and Moray Towers - two zones far away from each other (and the long narrow corridors on Port).

I'm also not much of a fan of Saltspray Rig on any ranked mode.

Kenni

Inkling
NNID
Pheenie
Splat Zones: Port Mackerel, Kelp Dome, Camp Triggerfish (I'm started to git gud with it), & Museum D'Alfonsino
Tower Control: Bluefin Depot, Moray Towers, & Mahi-Mahi Resort
Rainmaker: Saltspray Rig

As you can see I LOVE Rainmaker. However, snipers are actually a problem for me in Saltspray. So I hate the Rig for that.
TC Depot can go on for DAYS, Towers is so easy to get flicked off (so I always need to have bubbler), Resort I just don't like too much.
SZ Port is a pain, Dome is also a pain, Triggerfish used to be a pain (still getting used to), Museum has too much going on for me to handle.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
If the following is in play for the mode, very high chance I will not play or play much less in the idea of "giving another chance":

Port Tw (ban idea of all exits in one area plz)>rig RM (squads only I will not play solo on this, ever. Even though I can win on it , I hate it, I hate the fact I was able get 160? 40-40 change, in like 12 seconds. The goals are way too flippin close and the no rainmaker zones do not help for holding it back there, you can still do it with cover.)> pit splatzones (the match that made me rage over this was when we where losing 100-15 for points left {0-85 real score} because one person kept trying to ink useless area (I spam com'on on them a few times) right at them having 15 left we took our zone. For the next 2 mins and 30 seconds it stay 0-85. Then by some mercile, we ended up having all 4 of them down at once and claimed it, won in OT. I have video if interest to see. The zones are too close to spawn and too easy to camp and that belt is harmful to people at spawn because it forces you out when you have someone waiting to ambush you. I hate pit a lot =.= TW is fun on it though)> heights splatzones I tried it again recently, and wish I hadn't)> Morway TW (needs splatzone changes) > pit TC (TC route is BS) mall TW (needs splatzone changes) maybe RM skatepark (I am unsure because sometimes I play it, hate it, sometimes I like it) Mahi splatzones when water is high (sometimes I just try my best to retake it after the water lowers but if the other team has a good lockdown on it at that point you lose, I think mahi splatzones should be like TC, just lower it at the start. Water lower on mahi is a lot of fun for me, no matter the mode. Water down lets you be sneaky eaiser vs chargers and more options to climb high ground.

I do not mind port tc, rm, or splatzone as I have not really seen BS like I do in tw.

Boscolot

Inkling
NNID
Bosco
I really dislike Morray and Hammerhead in all modes and don't like Flounder Zones.

JustSquidding

Inkling
NNID
missclairely
its fun once you get used to all the jump spots >XD (and when the water lowers so you can get at charger platforms)
I'm sure you're right, I'm just bitter because when I got the game and was still getting used to the controls, Mahi Mahi and Ancho-V were the stages for regular battle. I was switching off with my fiancé every other round, and he kept getting Ancho-V while I was stuck with Mahi Mahi something like 6 or 7 times in a row.

I've since turned motion control off and things are a LOT easier for me - I'm interested to see how I do in Mahi Mahi now that the gyroscope is turned off.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I'm sure you're right, I'm just bitter because when I got the game and was still getting used to the controls, Mahi Mahi and Ancho-V were the stages for regular battle. I was switching off with my fiancé every other round, and he kept getting Ancho-V while I was stuck with Mahi Mahi something like 6 or 7 times in a row.

I've since turned motion control off and things are a LOT easier for me - I'm interested to see how I do in Mahi Mahi now that the gyroscope is turned off.
I did that too when I was new, buuut when you get higher skill it is pretty much needed for fine aim. When you jump and shoot it gives wider spread to help cover turf better and that is VERY hard to do without motion because how button controls are arranged.

Do you know about using recon? if you press y on the map selection you can explore map solo, it helps you learn jumps and wall use. Trust me there is a LOT OF little THINGS people miss that are new that higher skill people use to an advantage.

crazyhamlet

Inkling
NNID
crazyhamlet
Rainmaker on saltspray rig is an absolute nightmare. I`ll avoid ranked entirely if that`s what`s on.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I cannot ****ing stand Museum d'Alfonsino. It's way too big for its own good, and the spinning platforms just overly complicate everything and get in the way. Without a doubt it's probably my least favorite map, soundly beating out pre-2.6.0 Moray Towers.

Speaking of which, I'm not a fan of Moray Towers in Rainmaker, for the sole reason that you can climb the wall near the middle ground and instantly get a ridiculously easy lead. That pissed me off something fierce when I found out about it.

モモコ

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Momogirl3
I cannot ****ing stand Museum d'Alfonsino. It's way too big for its own good, and the spinning platforms just overly complicate everything and get in the way. Without a doubt it's probably my least favorite map, soundly beating out pre-2.6.0 Moray Towers.

Speaking of which, I'm not a fan of Moray Towers in Rainmaker, for the sole reason that you can climb the wall near the middle ground and instantly get a ridiculously easy lead. That pissed me off something fierce when I found out about it.
big? I call it small, lol esp splatzones XD get to it in like 2 seconds, only pit is worse XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom