• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

In your opinion: Map and Mode combos that make you go "Nope."

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
Talking about sniper hell, I would say Mahi Mahi SZ might be even worse than Moray. But anyway, there is no combo making me stop, I just want to play everytime, and if it's a combo I'm especially weak with, I try to think "alright, let's become good on this thing". Not playing it would let me weak at it, so I can't afford that, can I?

Tuff

Full Squid
NNID
Wolfysmash
Camp Triggerfish Splatzones is by far my least favorite. I always get accosted by Squelchers super hard on that map and I hate it.

Arowana Splat Zones is obnoxious because of just how much the controlling team can choke out the opposing team. You can easily cover all approach options and lock the opponent down and it sucks when it happens to your team.

Museum SZ is annoying too, because of the spinny thing getting in the way of shots and having weird coverage criteria.

The other modes I'm pretty ok with wrt maps, but Splat Zones is heavily map-dependent for me.

oh yeah, and Mahi-Mahi Rainmaker. It's weird and I fall into the water a lot.

Last edited:

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
Moray Towers anything
Rainmaker is ok but SZ and TC are a huge nope for me

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
On arrival whenever a new map is released I say I hate it for one week and then I love it it happened with every map except Mahi Mahi

So my worst turf war- saltspray rig
Splat zones- Mahi Mahi resort
Tower control- urchin underpass
Rainmaker- moray towers

Cyan

Inkling Commander
In terms of Splat Zones, there are way too many maps I dislike playing in that mode. The worst culprits are Walleye, Port, Hammerhead, Blackbelly, Bluefin, Saltspray and Triggerfish. Walleye and Port are notoriously bad because as soon as one team pulls an ace and gets the zone, it turns into a spawn camp until the score hits 0 on the zone. Splash Walls cut off any exits you have on both when they approach your spawn, and jumping onto the container (Walleye) or going round the sides (Port) doesn't help out at all. The container basically puts you into a boat surrounded by 4 hungry sharks whilst Port just traps you into a corner where you can't approach your zone with getting splatted jumping down from the sides. .52 Gals are pretty strong on both too since they have Splash Walls and the Killer Wail which closes off most of the map.

Hammerhead is pretty bad too because if you get splatted, your spawn is too far away from the zone to get back and set up a decent position to strike back, especially with the lack of inkable areas. I used to really enjoy Blackbelly zones until most matches now end with one team closing down all options back to the zones with relative ease. Bluefin is pretty pathetic since they have ramps to change sides but only have 1 zone (this means there's a disadvantage concerning snipers and right-side peeking). Ideally it would have 2 zones on both sides to actually utilise the tilted platforms so you do jump back and forth to keep both zones in your team's control. Triggerfish is just awful because of the walls where snipers prevent you from approaching your own zone without being splatted, there's just too many chokepoints and not enough options for pushing a comeback. Saltspray is just flat out horrible on zones, you can do nothing once one team grabs the zone and close down the corridors, as well as the disadvantage Team Alpha has over Bravo. Arowana is also pretty bad, but I can live with it for the most part.

With Tower Control, I'm fine with most maps on it, but Piranha Pit has a really convoluted route and doesn't make sense at all. Port Mackerel no longer appears in TC (it hasn't popped up once since September) and that's probably due to how Splash Walls prevent pushes as well as Killer Wails (recently I got 2 quads in Rainmaker Port with Killer Wails in the same day). Killer Wails are really powerful in TC and maps that are very narrow and are essentially long corridors. I hate Bluefin Tower with a passion, it absolutely sucks, the centre gets closed down by snipers, then when you get past that point you have a chokehold every few seconds, first raising the Tower up to the 2nd level, then various points past there and up to the final level. In my opinion, Saltspray is only good in Tower Control which is annoying when it hasn't popped up since September. I quite like the route and it the lower corridor isn't full to bursting with obstacles (like Rainmaker is).

With Rainmaker, I can live with all maps bar Blackbelly and Saltspray. Walleye, Arowana, Moray, Piranha and Bluefin are very questionable maps but the rest I quite enjoy. Blackbelly just fails because you can literally get to the Rainmaker pedestal in about 10 seconds if you ace the enemy team. There's not enough time to respawn and prevent them from dunking the RM, especially as the other 3 member of the team will just spawn camp to give the RM enough time to get the knockout. Saltspray has spawn camp issues because they just throw Splash Walls at your spawn and with the extra obstacles you can't get out of that before they get the knockout.

Walleye is questionable since it's impossible to get past 40 or so without a lucky break, and when you get that you usually win the match. Too many chokepoints and too easy to spawn camp (as mentioned earlier). Arowana is very questionable since I've had my entire team wiped out and lose in 20 seconds from the Rainmaker's shield being popped. Moray is just silly because everyone goes for the big wall to jump the score from 8x to 42-40 and it's such a silly way to gain or lose the lead, too many walls are allowed and should have glass added partway up for Rainmaker to prevent the ridiculous shortcuts from being taken. However, in doing that snipers get an easy time of killing the RM since they would have less shortcuts and have to be a bigger target going through the narrow pathways to get up the map. Piranha is flat out stupid for similar reasons to Arowana as well as the fact that the moved spawn point is very easy to spawn camp whilst the RM gets away. The conveyor belts don't work and are more of a hindrance than a help. Bluefin is very bad too since it has a ton of chokepoints and you have to use those chokepoints to get anywhere with the RM and the score.

I've left out Ancho-V Games since I haven't really played it outside of RM in ranked (the day it came out). I should get to experience it in Tower Control in the next rotation, and I'll have a better verdict on it. My issue with Ancho-V is that it's fairly easy to spawn camp in Turf (I did it quite a bit in the last Splatfest). I don't care too much for maps in Turf, since I scarcely play Turf nowadays, though most of the time my opinion is that the spawn camp maps (generally the corridor ones) and Saltspray are pretty bad, especially since teammates often over prioritise the top of the map and lose despite having the top secured and covered in our colour.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
I kinda understand what you're saying, and I may have thought the same at some point, but nowadays I consider it's not the maps which are bad, but only me. If the maps are too bad, I'm confident that there will be some changes in a future patch (or they will be removed from the rotation), but in the meanwhile and as I can't know if this will actually happen, I try to adapt myself to the maps.

For example, Blackbelly is a very fast map for both RM and TC. It's a fact that you may lose the game very fast depending of how the game starts, especially if the whole team is wiped out. But, considering this, I put a lot of respawn, more than I usually would. That way, I still have the possibility of defending or at least get some time for my allies.

Respawn is not the only thing. For instance when Triggerfish came out, I lost a lot of RM games because teams were going on the right of the map, and noone was there to defend. So I adapted my style by being very defensive, my goal being to prevent any opponent of going there from the very start of the game. And it worked well, I began to win a lot of games. I would definitely do that for any map where I would lose a lot because of beginning.

You can change weapon, too. For this I'll take Saltspray as an example, as I agree it's very hard to contest the control of the opponent's team in SZ. I played a lot the Custom Range Blaster, but recently I realised that for this map, taking the classic Range Blaster might be better. Indeed, you have the Inkstrike that will help you coming back to the middle, and the wall too. The range is making it easier to kill everyone camping in high areas.

Well anyway, there are still some rotations where it's kinda hard. But I will definitely advice everyone to take a "challenge accepted" kind of thinking, instead of a "I won't play until the rotation changes" type, because it feels much more enjoyable and seems more positive, from an improvement point of view. At least, it's worth a try :)

PS: Weird, in my games Walleye RM key point is 15. If the opponent is at 40 I'm confident my team will win, even if I have to wait for the after time.

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
Splat Zones with Moray or Port Mackerel is an instant "no no" for me. I don't mind maps with two Splat Zones, but on those maps they are too far apart. Knockouts are rare. I even had one game on Moray where it went to time and the final score was 100-97.

Tower Control on Warehouse is also a bit iffy for me. The route is too short and pretty straighforward, you can lose your lead by the blink of an eye.

Rainmaker on Mall is a bit BS too.

In Turf war I play on any map, although Triggerfish is a bit boring in this mode.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Splat Zones with Moray or Port Mackerel is an instant "no no" for me. I don't mind maps with two Splat Zones, but on those maps they are too far apart. Knockouts are rare. I even had one game on Moray where it went to time and the final score was 100-97.

Tower Control on Warehouse is also a bit iffy for me. The route is too short and pretty straighforward, you can lose your lead by the blink of an eye.

Rainmaker on Mall is a bit BS too.

In Turf war I play on any map, although Triggerfish is a bit boring in this mode.
Ever had a match where NEITHER team controlled the zones for the entire duration of the match? This happened to me on Piranha Pit, actually. Judd ended up giving us the game but I think he probably gave the opponents the game too. I was just so shocked and confused.

Point is I guess the distance of the zones doesn't really have as much influence as you might think. Sure, knockouts are less common but that makes for a more heated game IMO.

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
Ever had a match where NEITHER team controlled the zones for the entire duration of the match? This happened to me on Piranha Pit, actually. Judd ended up giving us the game but I think he probably gave the opponents the game too. I was just so shocked and confused.

Point is I guess the distance of the zones doesn't really have as much influence as you might think. Sure, knockouts are less common but that makes for a more heated game IMO.
Never happened to me before.
You have a point though. Maybe I need to play more often on those maps, who knows my idea might change.

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
Rainmaker Flounder, Rainmaker Moray, Rainmaker Bluefin... Basically any Rainmaker combo.
Notable exceptions being Walleye, Arowana, and Kelp Dome.
As for other modes... I never really was a fan of Hammerhead Tower Control.

Redx115

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Redzone115
I never play Moray Towers for any Ranked Mode. It's such a pain with snipers everywhere and Splat Zones is especially annoying.

Camp Triggerfish: I'd only play Tower Control.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
About Judd giving the game, I'm pretty dure he gives it to the Alpha team. In solo, you don't know who is the Alpha, so you just have to fight it out... Or hope for the best. This must be to prevent any possibility of "unending aftertime", in the case of two teams not trying to win.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
And actually, I'm thinking that at the very beginning when you see the gametype, the game shows the Alpha team... Well anyway, let's try to win, seems safer :p

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Whenever there's:
  • Splatzone with Kelp Dome and/or Arowana Mall
  • Tower with Hammerhead Bridge
  • Rainmaker with Arowana Mall and/or Port Mackrel
I'm out to play turf or other games! :D

I just gathered data using Ikamemo app and viewed my results from the last 300 matches. Those were the stages which my winrates never went above 10%! :D

Tuff

Full Squid
NNID
Wolfysmash
got more:

Walleye Warehouse in Splat Zones
Flounder Heights Splat Zones
Flounder Rainmaker
Hammerhead Tower

Walleye is just so ugh in SZ. I can never play consistently on it, it's just up in the air every single time.
Flounder is just not fun for me cuz I always get locked out. Climbing stuff and the zone placements and all that, it's just obnoxious.
Flounder Rainmaker is the same, it's just annoying to me. I don't really like the map in general I guess, I don't like a map where it's *primarily* about climbing.
Hammerhead Tower is usually a blowout either way, I notice. It gets real hard to take back the tower when it comes around to the Walled Square about halfway through the Tower's Path. It's not the *worst*, but it's getting up there in terms of being real annoying for me

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
Splat Zones in Museum D'alfonsino. I do just fine in any other splat zones, but I can never seem to move around that platform in the middle gracefully enough, and it seems I often end up against teams that can hold it so well they're free to come closer to our base and just splat us before we even get close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom