• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ink or Sink Testfire Tournament Feedback Thread

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
There should indeed be a limit to squads from each team. Player hording has a massive affect on health of a community. It's one of the reasons MK8 died so quickly in comparison to MKW.
Really, I thought it was because of the item system and lack of glitches in comparison to MKWii. Do tell more.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Do tell more about your opinions of the mk scene if you think glitches are one of the reasons.
MK8 didn't have any glitches like the GV Rock Hop Short Cut or the BCG3 Wall Clip, or really anything on a smaller scale.

I'm not involved with the MK scene, but those are my assumptions based on how the game played and what TWD98 said who I like to watch on YouTube.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
MK8 didn't have any glitches like the GV Rock Hop Short Cut or the BCG3 Wall Clip, or really anything on a smaller scale.

I'm not involved with the MK scene, but those are my assumptions based on how the game played and what TWD98 said who I like to watch on YouTube.
Those had no impact on why the MKW scene was fun or successful. Also lol troy.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
It was mixed up in my op
My b
And yes
Alright cool, I was just a little confused. Thanks for clearing it up :)
As for my actual opinion on that I'm a bit mixed. i can see advantages and disadvantages. It would stop you from having to play team after team from the same squad and would force big suads to be more considerate as to which teams enter. However that's also a disadvantae. it might be a bit discouraging to people in squads if only two teams from the squad ever actually get to play in tournaments (although if SCL takes off properly then they may be fine just playing there since there's no limit). That could lead to smaller squad sizes. Idk if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I

I was talking about why MK8 flipped. Could you explain it a little bit better to me. Also, why lol Troy?
MK8 community was much smaller in comparison to MKW (38 million copies with <5). All of the good players went to a handful of teams. All of the smaller teams died out. Decent teams left around wouldn't play the dominant ones because they knew the outcome. Went from there and it's really not much of anything now. Good players were much more spread out and available in MKW. Player hording didn't really become a thing until 4 or 5 years into the game where people started prioritizing "subclans" as opposed to main clans, which were basically just super clans with 30+ high level players.

The main reasons MK8 died so quickly was:

-smaller community
-item system being much more punishing for playing well
-top teams over-recruiting to fluff rosters
-less fun (?)

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
MK8 community was much smaller in comparison to MKW (38 million copies with <5). All of the good players went to a handful of teams. All of the smaller teams died out. Decent teams left around wouldn't play the dominant ones because they knew the outcome. Went from there and it's really not much of anything now. Good players were much more spread out and available in MKW. Player hording didn't really become a thing until 4 or 5 years into the game where people started prioritizing "subclans" as opposed to main clans, which were basically just super clans with 30+ high level players.

The main reasons MK8 died so quickly was:

-smaller community
-item system being much more punishing for playing well
-top teams over-recruiting to fluff rosters
-less fun (?)
Oh, okay. Now I understand. Sorry about my arrogance. Good luck with your MKWii career! :p

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Loser picks the stage they want, winner picks the mode they want
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Mode seems to be more important to me, thus the loser should have the right to pick the mode.

Off Topic: MKW was such a huge success, because of the certain amount of luck which is involved in every race. Weak teams had the possibility to win against the top teams which made leagues and wars in general more appealing to the masses. MK8 is way more punishing.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Ether or is fine with me tbh
also, no recruiting for squads that are in a tournament. if they do recruit or maybe allow them to anyway, but they should not be allowed to use those members in the tournament they signed up for.

Last edited:

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Ether or is fine with me tbh
also, no recruiting for squads that are in a tournament. if they do recruit or maybe allow them to anyway, but they should not be allowed to use those members in the tournament they signed up for.
Are you saying squads outside a tourney shouldn't be able to recruit people from other squads inside a tourney or...? Sorry I don;t really get what you're saying :S

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Are you saying squads outside a tourney shouldn't be able to recruit people from other squads inside a tourney or...? Sorry I don;t really get what you're saying :S
I'm saying, if I'm in IoS, I should ether not be allowed to recruit anyone till it's over OR I can still recruit, sure. But those new members are not allowed to enter to participate in said tournment. I think the later covers both, leagues and tournments well.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I'm saying, if I'm in IoS, I should ether not be allowed to recruit anyone till it's over OR I can still recruit, sure. But those new members are not allowed to enter to participate in said tournment. I think the later covers both, leagues and tournments well.
Oohhhh ok. Yeah that obviously makes sense to do.

Box

Pro Squid
From each team, yeah. Like how some teams have 20+ members on their roster. We should not give the bigger groups any advantages, over smaller groups. Like having more chances to win. They can select members of their team, to represent them. It happens in the real world, all the time. The argument that skill>numbers is irrelevant and we should encourage a more sound ruleset.
Didn't we all already go over this in the tournament thread?

For sanity's sake I'm going to use the terms 'teams' and 'clans'. "Squads" should probably retire from official terminology because it just confuses everyone.

Anyway, as long as the competition is between teams (e.g. Ink or Sink) there's no reason for clans to be a factor. Each team has only one registration. It doesn't matter which clan wins because it's not a competition between clans.

Not to mention regulating clans is difficult because a clan could just split up while still being the same overall group, kind of like Squid Squad. They're looking at having 4 teams I think. I'm not sure what it proves to say that all 4 teams can or cannot participate in the same tournament.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer

For sanity's sake I'm going to use the terms 'teams' and 'clans'. "Squads" should probably retire from official terminology because it just confuses everyone.

Anyway, as long as the competition is between teams (e.g. Ink or Sink) there's no reason for clans to be a factor. Each team has only one registration. It doesn't matter which clan wins because it's not a competition between clans.

Not to mention regulating clans is difficult because a clan could just split up while still being the same overall group, kind of like Squid Squad. They're looking at having 4 teams I think. I'm not sure what it proves to say that all 4 teams can or cannot participate in the same tournament.
I don't understand why we have to retire "squad." A Squad is the same exact thing as a clan, it just fits better with Splatoon vocab. People just need to accept that. Whatever, just my thoughts. We don't have to continue this debate here.

Box

Pro Squid
I don't understand why we have to retire "squad." A Squad is the same exact thing as a clan, it just fits better with Splatoon vocab. People just need to accept that. Whatever, just my thoughts. We don't have to continue this debate here.
"Squad" generally means something closer to 'team' in other shooters. It also sounds like squid so people try to use it for everything. I don't really care what the words are but there's always someone confused about what the word "squad" means. It's more of a recommendation for everyone's sanity.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
"Squad" generally means something closer to 'team' in other shooters. It also sounds like squid so people try to use it for everything. I don't really care what the words are but there's always someone confused about what the word "squad" means. It's more of a recommendation for everyone's sanity.
Fair enough. The other thing is we were using Squad well before we were informed that the team matchmaking mode was called "Squad Battle." That might also confuse those who haven't been around awhile.

WydrA

Inkling Commander

Your proposal: https://xkcd.com/927/

The community has already pretty much decided on squads as our terminology. I can't stop you from trying to retire it but it's literally just you in this movement. you're probably just going to make things worse.

But like KTK said, this probably isn't the best place to discuss this. If you really have a problem you could always create a thread.

Box

Pro Squid
Your proposal: https://xkcd.com/927/

The community has already pretty much decided on squads as our terminology. I can't stop you from trying to retire it but it's literally just you in this movement. you're probably just going to make things worse.

But like KTK said, this probably isn't the best place to discuss this. If you really have a problem you could always create a thread.
Oh no, my plot to overthrow "the community's" naming standards has been foiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom