• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ink or Sink Testfire Tournament Feedback Thread

WydrA

Inkling Commander
that was sarcasm on box's part..........
Yeah I'm perfectly aware of what it was.till it was supposed to be a defense of his original post and continued discussion on a topic we already agreed to move on from.
Any response other the one I gave would have continued the topic.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Again, let's stay on topic please.
He had a point, squad means a small team of people, so using it to mean something similar to clan is just confusing for spectators and the players of a tourney. Unless you look it up though the definition is kind of ambiguous.

So my tournament feedback is that I liked how you guys used teams instead of squads for the reasons outlined above.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Its a video game... its not all suppose to make sense; chillout. No one cares about these trivial things.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Its a video game... its not all suppose to make sense; chillout. No one cares about these trivial things.
No the game uses the term correctly. The easier to understand and more intuitive the scene is the more people will join it, so I'd say trying to simplify the terminology would be a good thing and actually adds to the discussion of the tourney. We want stuff to be easy to understand for newcomers, not pointlessly wordy and complex.

On the other hand, saying no one cares and "it's only a video game" trivializes people and shuts down discussion which at this point in the game's life should be wide open. Next time before you type with your keyboard and click the "post reply" button I would suggest actually contributing something to the thread.

Here is some more specific tourney feedback I had:

-The rulesets weren't consistent across the op of the thread and the bracket
-The ruleset was worded poorly in some cases
-No turf war, it's good we tried it out but at this point most who play it can agree it isn't that great for competitive.
-I liked how available and flexible the TOs were.
-Rules need to be enforced like schedules and DQs. At this point it's more than a week past when this should have ended and DUDE has gone to Spain so idk when losers finals can happen.
-The bracket randomization needs to be completely transparent

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

Its not even all that; you're trying to blow this out of proportion. I was talking about the controversy of the terms, squad and team, if that wasn't clear. I guess its better to ignore you guys, till you decide to get back on topic.

Not sure why you think I haven't posted anything, "helpful" though; cause I have. So far, your posts here, aren't even in response to the op, it's about a trivial subject, that is better argued in a thread, where that subject, is the one that is actually being discussed. This thread is about bettering the tournment experience. Its not about how we've been using the words, "squad" and "team" "incorrectly."

Last edited:

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
So anyways, overall, the tournament ran relatively smoothly. I think we know it's problems.
  1. Turf War
  2. Match Scheduling
Yeah. I ain't gonna beat a dead horse, you all get the idea. One thing from earlier, though....
8. F*** moray
I have no problem with you expressing your opinions, however, I'd like everyone to keep in mind that we shouldn't only cater to how top players think. This is merely just a reminder to everyone.

Love to see what IoS comes out with next month! It'll be fun to see. GGs to everyone.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
He had a point, squad means a small team of people, so using it to mean something similar to clan is just confusing for spectators and the players of a tourney. Unless you look it up though the definition is kind of ambiguous.

So my tournament feedback is that I liked how you guys used teams instead of squads for the reasons outlined above.
Except I wasn't arguing that definition at all. i was just saying that it doesn't matter. The community has already decided and trying to switch now will only split the community and confuse everyone further, box by himself deciding he's not going to call squads squads anymore will not change that fact. Most people -not everyone perhaps, but most people- have already gotten used to squads. It's creating an issue where it's already too late to create one.

Anyway, as Hinchii said, this is beyond trivial and is distracting from what is actually supposed to be discussed in this thread. So once again, if you guys really have that much issue with it start a thread to get feedback from the community or something.
Seriously, please let the thread go back on topic now.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Following in Wydra's footsteps, why don't we talk about the mode/map picking. Does it work fine or would Halo-style selecting work better?

Box

Pro Squid
Oh my God. For ****'s sake.

If I didn't explain it well enough earlier, I don't really care about what terminology is used. I'm not starting a holy war and I'm not responsible for the rest of you derailing yourselves by overreacting.

If you really all want to talk about something else you can go back to what I was actually trying to say in my post. Without starting a terminology controversy, I don't think 'clans' or "squads" (or whatever the **** you want to call the larger groups from which one or many individual teams might look to register) should even be a consideration in tournaments. The only real counterpoint I've heard to this has to do with member hoarding by certain clans. I don't even know if that's actually a problem. Squid Squad is probably the closest thing to that if they really get 4 high level teams going but like I said, I don't know what it accomplishes to say they can't all participate in the same tournament.

Hinichii.ez.™

Player hording is bad... And SS isn't the only group doing it on these boards; imperious is trying it as well. It's a competition killer.

Capping off how many people can be on a roster for groups and or capping how many members you can have from group in total enter in tournments, would be a good answer to this problem. It might take time to change existing groups, that are already doing this. But it would stop new groups or groups who haven't tried it early, thus halting its spread. I rather kill it at some point, then let it take over.

@Agosta44 knows a bit about the implications of player hording as well, since it was a big part of his last game (?) Dunno if he's willing to say much more about it, just noticed he mentioned it briefly before.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Player hording is bad... And SS isn't the only group doing it on these boards; imperious is trying it as well. It's a competition killer.

Capping off how many people can be on a roster for groups and or capping how many members you can have from group in total enter in tournments, would be a good answer to this problem. It might take time to change existing groups, that are already doing this. But it would stop new groups or groups who haven't tried it early, thus halting its spread. I rather kill it at some point, then let it take over.

@Agosta44 knows a bit about the implications of player hording as well, since it was a big part of his last game (?) Dunno if he's willing to say much more about it, just noticed he mentioned it briefly before.
I think the thing that someone mentioned before could solve the problem in a more manageable way. If we cap the number of teams a squad can enter that also caps the numbers of good players that squad can enter. If good players never get to actually play because slightly better players from their squad are always getting the spots on the entered teams, they'll probably break off and find/found another n their own.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
I think the thing that someone mentioned before could solve the problem in a more manageable way. If we cap the number of teams a squad can enter that also caps the numbers of good players that squad can enter. If good players never get to actually play because slightly better players from their squad are always getting the spots on the entered teams, they'll probably break off and find/found another n their own.
Well, good. Isn't that what we want here? I mean, let's be honest, SS and Imperious are going to be on top obviously, but I am going to highly doubt that they're on top forever. Old squads will come up with maybe a few better players or better coordination and take them down. DEG, Koopa Clan, heck everyone in top 16's got a shot. New squads will pop up tot ake them down. We're very early right now, and Player Hoarding won't last for long.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
If player holding does become a problem, I say we limit 4 teams per squad so existing squads don't have to get rid of any teams.
Squads can just rotate teams for specific tournaments. I'd suggest the 3 that we had in IoS, but I could understand 2. It's up to the TO imo.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Random feedback from a spectator:
I enjoyed watching Turf War, but I found not being able to see the map a bit frustrating. And I'm not really sure the way you guys played Turf War is transferable to the general playing population. It sounds like your dropping it anyway, but I did want to note that it was enjoyable to watch.

Also, 20 minutes between games to decide maps/modes was brutal. I'd prefer the TO pick the format (5 games, 5 maps, assign modes to maps) and the teams just play through. You could have a tournament in a weekend pretty easily. Keep in mind, this is purely from a spectator's perspective.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Random feedback from a spectator:
I enjoyed watching Turf War, but I found not being able to see the map a bit frustrating. And I'm not really sure the way you guys played Turf War is transferable to the general playing population. It sounds like your dropping it anyway, but I did want to note that it was enjoyable to watch.

Also, 20 minutes between games to decide maps/modes was brutal. I'd prefer the TO pick the format (5 games, 5 maps, assign modes to maps) and the teams just play through. You could have a tournament in a weekend pretty easily. Keep in mind, this is purely from a spectator's perspective.
That's actually really important info. Thanks for sharing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom