• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Ink or Sink Testfire Tournament Feedback Thread

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Random feedback from a spectator:
I enjoyed watching Turf War, but I found not being able to see the map a bit frustrating. And I'm not really sure the way you guys played Turf War is transferable to the general playing population. It sounds like your dropping it anyway, but I did want to note that it was enjoyable to watch.

Also, 20 minutes between games to decide maps/modes was brutal. I'd prefer the TO pick the format (5 games, 5 maps, assign modes to maps) and the teams just play through. You could have a tournament in a weekend pretty easily. Keep in mind, this is purely from a spectator's perspective.
People would still take forever with a TO chosen map format. Hardcap map choices to 90s-2 min between maps. If other team stalls either let the other team pick map or choose random.

Following in Wydra's footsteps, why don't we talk about the mode/map picking. Does it work fine or would Halo-style selecting work better?
Mode rotation between each game would be better than allowing player striking. If you let players strike modes it's just going to turn into a "you're good at this so I'm not going to let you pick it" game of chicken like IoS finals was.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
Im soryy but player hogging? I guess we just suck then LOL. Im hoppin off this train XD

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I would hope that when the TO says "play SZ Arowana, TC Moray, RM Triggerfish, SZ Blackbelly, and TC Bluefin, in that order" it would not take forever between games. But if you are worried it still will, then a hard cap of 2min sounds reasonable.

If we take out the mode selection out of the players hands, would a best of 7 be better? Whatever works, I just want to see more playing, less haggling over modes/maps.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I would hope that when the TO says "play SZ Arowana, TC Moray, RM Triggerfish, SZ Blackbelly, and TC Bluefin, in that order" it would not take forever between games. But if you are worried it still will, then a hard cap of 2min sounds reasonable.

If we take out the mode selection out of the players hands, would a best of 7 be better? Whatever works, I just want to see more playing, less haggling over modes/maps.
Offshore has been playing BO9 in most of our scrims and we take less than a minute in deciding maps every game. People should be allowed to pick what they want but be capped in time between matches.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Um... If the tourney is going to be capped smaller, can you place spots for well known teams that confirm before hand they want to play? Because it seems like their could be some salt if a random team with a clearly rushed name got over, say, squid squad spades.

Power

Inkling Commander
Um... If the tourney is going to be capped smaller, can you place spots for well known teams that confirm before hand they want to play? Because it seems like their could be some salt if a random team with a clearly rushed name got over, say, squid squad spades.
Yeah, we had discussed having the "Top 10" from the previous tourney getting a reserved spot in registration. If any squad from that top 10 are not able to attend, the spot goes to the 11th placed team (and so on). I know that not all of the top teams entered the test fire tourney, but it seems to be the best way to do it objectively.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Yeah, we had discussed having the "Top 10" from the previous tourney getting a reserved spot in registration. If any squad from that top 10 are not able to attend, the spot goes to the 11th placed team (and so on). I know that not all of the top teams entered the test fire tourney, but it seems to be the best way to do it objectively.
That is great! Thanks man! Also, serious squiffer respect man. It takes some balls to use that weapon.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
So, turns out I'm not dead and Just so you all know. I have left playing the game so I will be able to run these much more smoothly with my comrades in the IoS tournament staff. Math has been removed from the staff for private reasons, and we still have bug plans ahead of us.

First of all, Messfest is going to happen. I've had a lot happen in the last two weeks which have refrained me from being active and I apologize for that. You can go and vote on when Messfest should happen right here.

Second off, as @Box stated for us stacking the tournament, we didn't. The tournament didn't matter because it was a test and we now have a better way to handle everything. We plan on putting in some way to display what we are doing at all times. So if you want to be a troll and say that we rigged the tournament, go be a troll somewhere else cause here isn't the right place.

The last thing I would like to state is whether or not rainmaker should be involved in future tourneys. State your opinions below please.

Thanks,
(Not Rip) RoyLee

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
lol sure you're not dead RoyLee? xD Nah you're fine

Anyways, yes RM has problems, but I don't think any of us have seen it publicized at all. So, why not give it a shot? We won't know if it works till we try it.

Box

Pro Squid
You tagged me back into the thread for that?

Unfortunately I'm kind of done. I already said everything that needs to be said and I don't actually believe that you think I'm trolling.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Rainmaker is too unbalanced a mode imho. Tower Control and Splatzones are very good modes, and I think it would be best to leave those two in and chuck everything else out.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Backrooms are, and always have been a bad idea. Transparency is almost always a better idea.

Why not have a frontroom which only select members can post on, but other users can view (and maybe separately comment)?
well I mean it's the same thing really. Your second idea just gives people an outlet to vent their frustrations :P

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
well I mean it's the same thing really. Your second idea just gives people an outlet to vent their frustrations :p
Unless I'm mistaken, aren't backrooms totally private, only the select members can even view the subforum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom