Ink or Sink Tournament! v.1.1b Final Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
Long story short, we - the Ink or Sink Development Committee - have decided to remove the clause put in place that we thought would be a a sort of balance measure. We apologize for any controversy, offense, or suspicion that's been caused. We'd specifically like to apologize to @flc , and the rest of Imperious, @Box, and @Aweshucks for the trust we have damaged through this whole ordeal.

I'll explain further below.

The committee perceived a problem with the fundamentals of the tournament, which was this: Teams want to claim victory in the name of their squad, so, squads that enter multiple teams (skill aside) will statistically have a better chance of taking a win for their squad.

To counterbalance this, we planned to implement something we called the "single-team bye clause.

Most people here are from the Smash community, and know what a "bye" is. If the number of entrants is uneven, certain entrants will not have opponents, and move to the next round without playing a set.

What this clause outlined was that squads with one team representing them would have a higher priority in receiving byes. Of course, this is still situational, but we understand why people are upset by this.

So, the day of the tournament, the bracket seed on Challonge will be randomized, (as previously planned) and the byes will stay where they fall.

To reiterate, we've removed any counterbalance measures to help smaller squads.

We'd like to apologize again for the confusion.

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
Why is it bad if a team takes the top spots? That just means they are good and deserve it. It's not right to try and make something appealing to viewers and act like the players don't care.
Think of it this way.

Imagine the same squad of three teams take the top three slots every time there's a tournament. Over and over and over again, this happens.

While some people see it as a goal to beat that team, most people would just not participate in any more tournaments. "Why should I enter a tournament if (insert squad here) is gonna win every single time?" And it gets even worse when all three top spots are taken.

There are a few options at that point. You can continue with the normal formula (which would ultimately result in less interest), you can ban the team (highly frowned upon), change the ruleset (which people are clearly already butthurt about), or stop doing tournaments in general (which would not be fun). At least, those are the simplest and least stressful to do.

I doubt things would proceed this way, but in an effort to keep things interesting, some adjustments are going to have to be put in place to fix these problems.

Why is everyone getting mad at the changing ruleset and then defending said ruleset?

Box

Pro Squid
>Squads with multiple teams can report observations to each other about enemy teams they meet in bracket
>Other teams for that squad is now better off because they know the strats of the enemy teams
>TOs are attempting to give single teams more of an advantage because of this

u wot
why are you even complaining about a tourney that is practically all about testing how a tourney plays out? this is the first major splatoon tournament that's ever been organized, of course it's not gonna be perfect
I wanted to say my part about why I think it's a poor decision. I didn't want to wait until the tournament started to say something because then it looks like a john. I'm making my stance clear because I want the TOs to acknowledge the what their rules mean.

And any two teams can conspire.

Power

Inkling Commander
>Squads with multiple teams can report observations to each other about enemy teams they meet in bracket
>Other teams for that squad is now better off because they know the strats of the enemy teams
>TOs are attempting to give single teams more of an advantage because of this

u wot
why are you even complaining about a tourney that is practically all about testing how a tourney plays out? this is the first major splatoon tournament that's ever been organized, of course it's not gonna be perfect
well, to point one, the same can be still be done if they were friends of one team and decided to help them out if they had lost. It is less likely than having your squad report it to you, but still in the realm of possibility.

Nothing is stopping people from registering as a different team while also being a part of the same squad. (Maybe some investigative work...but w.e)

Unrelated to above:

All along this "advantage" was focused on creating a more entertaining, at least from some of our opinions, tournament. Who knows if it may have been more entertaining or not, w.e. Thanks for the feedback to help gear this tournament to fit the competitive mindset of this community.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Man, you're good lol. No trust lost. I respect the amount of work you guys put in to this, and everyone makes a bad call once in a while.

But randomizing the seeds might not be the best idea either. ideally, they'd be seeded based on skill, where the most skilled teams would not meet until later in the bracket. Obviously you can't do that in this instance, but you should do your best to prevent two very good teams from meeting early, or two related teams from meeting early (For instance: in the current bracket, two squiddernauts teams are playing in round 1. That's no fun!). I don't really have a better alternative though, so maybe random seeds is the best option.

And now for something completely different- I'm not currently on a team, but would like to participate in this tournament. If anyone needs an extra player, please PM me.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Think of it this way.

Imagine the same squad of three teams take the top three slots every time there's a tournament. Over and over and over again, this happens.

While some people see it as a goal to beat that team, most people would just not participate in any more tournaments. "Why should I enter a tournament if (insert squad here) is gonna win every single time?" And it gets even worse when all three top spots are taken.

There are a few options at that point. You can continue with the normal formula (which would ultimately result in less interest), you can ban the team (highly frowned upon), change the ruleset (which people are clearly already butthurt about), or stop doing tournaments in general (which would not be fun). At least, those are the simplest and least stressful to do.

I doubt things would proceed this way, but in an effort to keep things interesting, some adjustments are going to have to be put in place to fix these problems.

Why is everyone getting mad at the changing ruleset and then defending said ruleset?
Inb4 smash ZeRo analogy that everyone thinks will prove your statement invalid.
EDIT: Post number 200! wooh!

Last edited:

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
And any two teams can conspire.
Why would they? For what purpose? It doesn't benefit the team releasing the information, so why would they do it?

Squads have teams with each other. In the end, even if Squad Team A wins and Squad Team B loses, Squad still wins. They benefit in giving each other information.

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
Man, you're good lol. No trust lost. I respect the amount of work you guys put in to this, and everyone makes a bad call once in a while.

But randomizing the seeds might not be the best idea either. ideally, they'd be seeded based on skill, where the most skilled teams would not meet until later in the bracket. Obviously you can't do that in this instance, but you should do your best to prevent two very good teams from meeting early, or two related teams from meeting early (For instance: in the current bracket, two squiddernauts teams are playing in round 1. That's no fun!). I don't really have a better alternative though, so maybe random seeds is the best option.
this will be considered after we collect data from the testfire. thanks for all your support!

Valkyria

Bottom Feeder
NNID
Valkyriah
Hey, it's alright. This tournament is solid. You can't please everyone.

In the tournament organizer's defense, the slight countermeasures were mentioned because HBSF wanted an explanation of why some larger squads had the option of entering 3 teams while smaller groups intrinsically didn't have the option.

But by doing so, they pissed off the squads entering 3 teams who then came to demand change.

There's a chance that HBSF might come back and argue against this. Again, you can't please everyone. Someone has to get the shaft.

Power

Inkling Commander

We would love to base seeds on skill, but remember, this is just a test tournament. (We also have no reliable way of knowing how skilled some teams are)

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
Think of it this way.

I believe this is a horrible way of looking at it. Wouldn't the most competitive teams ENJOY getting to try to take out the best team. At the very least they can learn and grow from the experience. Plus everybody loves a good underdog story. If a team kept winning over and over(which we aren't even sure will happen) teams would be excited to be THE team that takes them out.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
Hey guys. I know that we can't accommodate every single individual need, but we are trying the very best that we can. We respect personal opinions and we want to make sure that we can make the best calls for the whole tournament.

It's only a testfire and we don't want this to fail, we are just trying to figure out what some of the best rules will be in the future. I'm sorry that not everything can work lads, but we are trying our very hardest.

We will probably have a suggestion thread at the end of this tournament so that we can get feedback on what was done well and what wasn't.

Thanks for everything guys, its going to be a really blast when it actually happens! :D

Power

Inkling Commander
It works both ways though, but we should just let the community see how they deal with it. If it dies because one team dominates, the community is a joke imo and doesn't really deserve to be at big gaming events (if it ever happens) So just leaving the advantage clause out is the best thing to do. @Typhlosion09

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
I believe this is a horrible way of looking at it. Wouldn't the most competitive teams ENJOY getting to try to take out the best team. At the very least they can learn and grow from the experience. Plus everybody loves a good underdog story. If a team kept winning over and over(which we aren't even sure will happen) teams would be excited to be THE team that takes them out.
I put that into account while making the post, don't worry. I just have memories of "I'll never beat Mang0" and "I'll never be as good as m2k" posts from the smash community. I don't want the same thing to happen with Splatoon.

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
I want to double check how matches will work? Is it one match and losing team is out to losers?
Or will there be multiple matches?

Ultramus

Pro Squid
Team Name: Magic Squids
Team Leader: Mullin/MullinShetland
Skype of team leader: giantpanther
Team Members IGN and NNID’s (3-7): Bunny/BunnyAngel, Mullin/MullinShetland, λrtakha.SF/Artakha, Fighter/IamFighter
Team Tag (2-4 Characters): 77MS
Can anyone stream on your team (Yes/No):Yes
Can you host a room (Yes/No):Yes
Main timezone of team:Central

Power

Inkling Commander
I want to double check how matches will work? Is it one match and losing team is out to losers?
Or will there be multiple matches?
One set, it is a best out of 5. Whoever wins 3 in the set, moves on. The loser goes into losers bracket.

beckert26

Full Squid
NNID
beckert26
Team Name: Tentacle Difficulties
Team Leader IGN/NNID: TheBest/ beckert26
Skype of team Leader: bretteckert26
Team Members IGN's/NNID's: ProgNut/Freeze trekGame/Jinx zzack1234/Z-Zack Lionkingbaez/N T-worst/Theworstmaker Cap'n/bottlecapn Arcite/Dogalog5000
Team Tag: TD★
Can anyone stream on your team (Yes/No) if so, twitch?: no
Can you host a room (Yes/No): no
Main timezone of team: CST

Note: i'll probably be adding and removing people. Should I message the tournament director if I do or just edit my post?

Last edited:

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
Team Name: Tentacle Difficulties
Team Leader IGN/NNID: TheBest/ beckert26
Skype of team Leader: bretteckert26
Team Members IGN's/NNID's: ProgNut/Freeze trekGame/Jinx zzack1234/Z-Zack Lionkingbaez/N
Team Tag: TD★
Can anyone stream on your team (Yes/No) if so, twitch?: no
Can you host a room (Yes/No): no
Main timezone of team: CST

Note: Ill probably be adding and removing people. Should I message the tournament director if I do or just edit my post?
you'll want to edit AND contact one of the 5 directors outlined in the OP

thanks for asking! for any future questions, we made an Ink or Sink q&a: http://squidboards.com/threads/ink-or-sink-q-a.4019/

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
having larger squads participate skews the ranking system (not necessarily referring to the official ranking system). If entering a tournament, and you have this huge squad, and have, assuming there is an unlimited restriction on amount of squads per team, like 6 squads from a team, then ultimately, this will just persuade more and more people to have these humongous squads, which I personally believe should not happen.
I think it is possible this is where some other squads are coming from as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom