• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Inkling Fan Language Sister Project: Octoling Language

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Should I make "hassha" and "touchaku" nouns instead of verbs?

Because yubisashi kanko uses it a lot in the railroading application.

Simply add "to do" to turn it to a verb.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Another idea: Time only counts to 8, and there are 3 divisions as opposed to our 12 hours/2 sections model.

The sections are abbreviated MN/AF/NT and go from 1 to 8. Translated, they mean "Dawn/Day/Dusk."

EDIT: No, they are not cognates of morning, afternoon, and night.

Also, how it works:

MN 0 = midnight. This can also be written as NT 10. The MN block goes up to MN 8, equivalent to our 8 AM. Then AF 1 comes next, equivalent to 9 AM. AF goes by same rules (ending at our 4 PM). NT block covers 5PM-12AM.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Time words:

{maiënü}/MN
{anfu}/AF
{nåute}/NT

Still need some help with constructing basic vocabulary. @PiyozR or @theFIZZYnator care to help?

And in terms of the latter.....?

All I need is a couple of words constructed - a basic vocabulary. I already have basic grammatical elements set in stone, but some sections have no words at all.

I'll upload the PDF at the current state.

Edited with few changes.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
I have words for all creatures in Splatoon constructed....at least extremely common folk.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Another thing in regards to time:

It's subdivided in sixty-fourths rather than sixtieths.

But minutes start from 0 and go up to 99, which is sixty-three.

"Seconds" are also one-64th of a minute. Fortunately there is also knowledge of the standard time system.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
BBrWROYGBIV:

Black: {karasu}
Brown: {niko}*
White: {haku}
Red: {unsi}
Orange: {garu}
Yellow: {nanbu}*
Green: {yate}*
Blue: {ura}*
Indigo: {boi}
Violet (purple): {hanzo}*

Tertiary colors:
Red-orange: {toda}
Yellow-orange: {naha}
Yellow-green: {ugui}
Blue-green: {hae}
Blue-violet {sense}
Red-violet: {oire}

Internally, they believe tertiary colors are distinct enough to warrant their own terms.

Identify the genius bonus with the asterisked elements.

EDIT: To clarify, they are nouns.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
How should I represent biological gender without a grammatical gender system?

Oh, and without the atrocious-sounding Japanese and Inkling solution.

My first thought was noun suffixes.

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Another idea: Time only counts to 8, and there are 3 divisions as opposed to our 12 hours/2 sections model.

The sections are abbreviated MN/AF/NT and go from 1 to 8. Translated, they mean "Dawn/Day/Dusk."

EDIT: No, they are not cognates of morning, afternoon, and night.

Also, how it works:

MN 0 = midnight. This can also be written as NT 10. The MN block goes up to MN 8, equivalent to our 8 AM. Then AF 1 comes next, equivalent to 9 AM. AF goes by same rules (ending at our 4 PM). NT block covers 5PM-12AM.
Did you take that from Pokémon Vietnamese Crystal? I dig it.

EDIT: I'm back! It's been a loooong time, huh. Also, species-specific pronouns, anyone?

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Did you take that from Pokémon Vietnamese Crystal? I dig it.
The abbreviations were, in fact, taken from Viet Crystal.

But the base-8 system was my idea.

Just for fun, can we translate the Trashy Man speech?

EDIT: To detail what I need for this, at least:

* An adjective affix before the {ina} ending akin to our -ed ending.
* Another to represent the -er ending.
* Adjective prefix akin to Japanese fu- and our un- (EDIT: We have {nu}).

Here's the literal translation I am aiming for:
"I am very disgusted with the trashy person. Despite the trashy monster and trainer, I will defeat all of them. In order to do this I must make myself stronger, as well as the monster. Collecting the trashy, righteous fellows is totally unpardonable! (This sentence, as is any Chinese bootleg, is hard to interpret) You don't affect me. The trashy strolling is an eyesore!"

And for the original quote:
"I hate the weak. Pokémon, Trainers. It doesn't matter who or what. I hate to see them hanging around. That also applies to Team Rocket. They think they are strong while they are together, but if they are by themselves, they are weak. I hate all of them. As for you, stay out of my way. You are no exception."

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Seriously, does anyone know the connection between the color green and the word "yate?"

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
The highest number is so inconceivable that I decided to make {yottaina} inconceivable.
Also:
{zettaina}: ludicrous
{exaina}: ridiculous
{vittan}: speed

So we have our first translated movie phrase: {Zettainavittan! Tae!} (tae: contracted form of "etobe")

Last edited:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I think we should change the leading consonant in either {nëi} "yes" or {nun} "no". By the way, {nëi} is misspelled as {jn} in the guide.
When a consonant is repeated at the end of a word, the - should be before the consonant.

It's probably too late to do this, but I thought of making Octoling language have predicate logic like Lojban. Probably a bad idea.

EDIT: I think we need to clarify what the {-on} ending creates; I'm thinking that {kanabon} would create "preparation", but it's listed in the guide as "preparedness". Perhaps that could be {kanabaron}, from {kanabaru}, "is ready".

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
When a consonant is repeated at the end of a word, the - should be before the consonant.
I've been using it like the sokuon in Japanese: placing it before a geminated consonant as well as a hard stop at the end of words.

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
By the way, why is future tense an infix and past tense a suffix? I think making the past tense an infix would allow constructions like {kanabetiču} "was getting ready"{kanabetaru} "was prepared", or {kanabeteba} "if it was ready".

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
By the way, why is future tense an infix and past tense a suffix? I think making the past tense an infix would allow constructions like {kanabetiču} "was getting ready"{kanabetaru} "was prepared", or {kanabeteba} "if it was ready".
For the first two, the proper form is {kanabetičatta} and {kanabareta}, respectively (Progressive forms have an irregular past conjugation; {*ičeta} sounded unnatural).

For the last one, I am not sure if we can do {kanabeta eba} which is just the conditional of {iyu} added to it.

EDIT: How does the "te" form in Japanese work (this will be the last grammatical element from Japanese)?

OTHER EDIT: I will only loan the above if necessary, and not for just the past conditional.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
I am thinking of loaning {hakai} to mean "destruction."

EDIT: In addition, I might need to look up the definition of "gerund."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom