• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Inkling Fan Language Sister Project: Octoling Language

TheKawaiifan

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0080-7367-3240
one night I decided it'd be fun to take the romaji lyrics on inkipedia for a few of off the hook's songs and transcribe them into inkling and octarian; pearl's lines are in inkling, marina's are in octarian. it's still basically gibberish, but i had some fun just playing with the symbols and matching up the sounds.

something i quickly noticed with octarian is that with it's semi syllabic system, it's capable of sounds that arn't available in inkling; particularly the consonants

sample lyrics:
Color Pulse
"Rasta riposei nyuzetarahankista"
"Tiryugai spraen praen yuwobira"

Ebb & Flow
"Dibon!"
"Stimi!"
"Dismisaidon gyaro gyaro"
"Wastireimyun"
"Minakeijyun"
"Kozozawaden joriruni"
"Tojyuranahabete zeriru bitinnu WOW"

Acid Hues
"Wizaro wizaro wizarone diraddiratta panke"
"Janpara"
"Dastaniracha wakutamonasa"
"Manyaba"

Muck Warfare
"Astafmeya dennuhi"
"Deraestef panjayobi"
"Sherauste"
"Anfu dinmina minajin"

While the inkling language keeps demanding vowels, the semi syllabic octarian seems to have the freedom to play around with different combinations. It can combine separate consonants, end a word with a consonant, or even have one vowel end in a consonant, the next one starting with it's own. You get the picture.

Octarian has the potential to make all sorts of sound combinations that inkling is simply not built for. You could take advantage of this and really play with it

TheKawaiifan

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0080-7367-3240
and piyoz, how would that even work? there's a lot more than 3 species seen in splatoon

we have

inklings

octarians

cats

crab

shrimp

jellyfish

sea anemone and clownfish

urchins, sea snails

sea slugs

zapfish

salmonid

sea cucumbers

isopods

long snout dogfish, siphonophore, blobfish

angel fish, ping pong tree sponge, deep sea jellyfish

predatory tunicates, gulper eels, flashlight fish

pufferfish, yesso scallop, betta fish, mozuku seaweed, shark

I don't really know what the third member from the right is (or that member on the far left), but they're there

and the telephone in the octo expansion is um....quite the character

and who knows what else nintendo is gonna plop into the franchise in the future. point is, that's a lot of "genders" to keep track of. how would that even work?

OrangeK

Inkling
Talking in an almost silent thread, i know
But I think I’ve got approximate IPA transcriptions for the two vowel sounds that were missing ones (ä and ö)
{ä} -> /ɜː/ [Description: “The sound of “ir” in RP “bird”]
{ö} -> /œ/ [Description: “The same sound it represents in German]
I thought it wouldn’t hurt to get a bit more clarity on what the vowel sounds are

OrangeK

Inkling
Talking in an almost silent thread, i know
But I think I’ve got approximate IPA transcriptions for the two vowel sounds that were missing ones (ä and ö)
{ä} -> /ɜː/ [Description: “The sound of “ir” in RP “bird”]
{ö} -> /œ/ [Description: “The same sound it represents in German]
I thought it wouldn’t hurt to get a bit more clarity on what the vowel sounds are
(although i haven’t actually looked to see if someone else already did this :/ )

seth_the_inkling

Senior Squid
this is a cool thread! now ima make something with this :D, (i knew about this thread before i came here to squidboards ALSO im a conlanger too :D )
if i were to make something ill edit it here

Clen4ever

Full Squid
Hi, guys! I been following the process of the inkling and octoling language and I'm really sad to see this one incomplete. So I want to continue this project! I going to star a PDF that collects all previous progress and the more stuff that we can do.

Clen4ever

Full Squid
Ok. I have had many problems trying to guess how the octoling font works and I'm going to leave an explanation here of how it works.
First you have to install the font of Sucker Sans of the zip, then you will see that the characters that you see in the guide do not appear when you write them (other characters appear) that's what the PDF is for! In the top of the characters is the meaning of it, and at the bottom is what you have to type. (This content is not mine, it is in the forum)

Attachments

Last edited:

Clen4ever

Full Squid
I decided to remake the octoling-charmap pdf because it has errors compared to the Octoling lenguage pdf. I have also decided to change "sj" to "dj", I think it's better and more understandable.
And I'm sorry for the delay, I've been working on my own Splatoon project, I made a thread about it if you're interested.

Attachments

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom