• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Inkling: The Language of Splatoon

Rizz

Inkling
NNID
Rizzle221
Sounds like a dream come true.

But shouldn't we be matching up words with in-game text? Like, if there's a stop sign with a word on it, we make that word "stop"?
True... That's a good point. We should probably start assigning words to the in-game signs found around the plaza and other places. That should be our next step.

To be fair, a language does not need all the words english has, so doing that seems like a waste of time
Indeed. But how about a dictionary of the most used words? We don't have many nouns yet in our Inkling vocabulary.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
True... That's a good point. We should probably start assigning words to the in-game signs found around the plaza and other places. That should be our next step.
I can start doing that now, actually. Think I'll take a break of actually playing Splatoon to do this.

Rizz

Inkling
NNID
Rizzle221
Right now it's going to be a very short, very simple comic about Callie having terrible luck in her first round of a Turf War. Probably three or four pages. Octolings will appear. So will a Callie Kraken.
I'm also a digital artist, so if you draw this, I could color and/or shade it.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I'm also a digital artist, so if you draw this, I could color and/or shade it.
I'm taking screenshots of the game, but please do draw them out so we have a more formal font and list for them.

Anyway, here's the stuff I found. If you think of a better word, tell me, please.

Attachments

eli

Senior Squid
NNID
frozenpandaman
Conclusion: Nintendo of America botched the translation.
Um, meaning, they translated it?

I'm going to work on a nonfan Dictionary for Inkling.
Good luck with that. The first few pages of this thread are about that, and that's really what I'm interested in too. Unfortunately, it is gibberish.

I agree with what multiple people have said, that the thread should perhaps be moved/re-titled if this is about something created, not discovered.

Anyway, here's the stuff I found. If you think of a better word, tell me, please.
Unfortunately, based on those, the symbols are not consistent in any way with English letters. It's pretty clear they just picked symbols looking enough like the English words. I ran into this problem during the creation of the font when deciding what glyph goes with what letter, too…

this comparison picture
You do realize I made that and posted it first here, earlier in the thread, yes? :)

it's romaji. no 'n.' dear god, people.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Unfortunately, based on those, the symbols are not consistent in any way with English letters. It's pretty clear they just picked symbols looking enough like the English words.
I don't think that's what they were posted for. More so that they were posted to show what the Inkling variations of known words are and treat them as if they were translated to Inkling, as opposed to just taking the original words and slapping weird characters over them.

Last edited:

eli

Senior Squid
NNID
frozenpandaman
they were posted to show what the Inkling variations of known words are and treat them as if they were translated to Inkling
Yes, but it's our only data from which to extract a ruleset to form new words not in the provided examples/dataset. If it has inconsistencies, might as well just spell out things that look vaguely-English… and call it a translation if you want, I guess. :p

Sorry, I forgot to credit you. I'll edit your name in.
lol no worries. wasn't asking for credit, just wanted to make sure you knew it'd been posted here and analyzed thoroughly :D

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Unfortunately, based on those, the symbols are not consistent in any way with English letters. It's pretty clear they just picked symbols looking enough like the English words. I ran into this problem during the creation of the font when deciding what glyph goes with what letter, too…
I'm trying to make words for the fan language, not translate/decipher the in-game language.

eli

Senior Squid
NNID
frozenpandaman
i know! but it depends on whether you're just arbitrarily choosing lookalike characters or trying to follow some sort of pattern. as a basis, those are good examples. i have more if people want/need as well, i guess.

I have some updates about the font but not sure if this thread has changed into a "fanon" language-creation thread or not – including its viewership and contributors – and have questions as to where to post it, where to get specific feedback about certain things, etc. :B

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
i know! but it depends on whether you're just arbitrarily choosing lookalike characters or trying to follow some sort of pattern.
It's probably going off of the fact that they're shown in places where you would normally see words like "caution" or "gear get".

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
i know! but it depends on whether you're just arbitrarily choosing lookalike characters or trying to follow some sort of pattern. as a basis, those are good examples. i have more if people want/need as well, i guess.
I'm basing it off of what and where the words are found. I found these of signs that are similar to real life signs, so I just replaced the gibberish word with a real one.

Rizz

Inkling
NNID
Rizzle221
I say we make a new thread, put the important links and information in the first post, and then continue our discussions there. That way, new people don't have to go through 8+ pages of us arguing/discussing if the in-game Inkling was translatable or not.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I say we make a new thread, put the important links and information in the first post, and then continue our discussions there. That way, new people don't have to go through 8+ pages of us arguing/discussing if the in-game Inkling was translatable or not.
Who's gonna make it, then? And in what part of the forums?

Rizz

Inkling
NNID
Rizzle221
Who's gonna make it, then? And in what part of the forums?
I'd say PiyozR, since he has contributed the most. But any of us can do it, honestly.
As for where, well... Can't we put it in the same place as this thread? I'm new, though. So if there's a place that fits better, I'm all ears.

supergreen13

Inkling
(FIRST POST WOOP WOOP. I made this account to reply to this.)
I've noticed in pop the lyrics often include English words thrown in there. It seems that the Inkling language is actually Japanese, (albeit with a rather thick squid accent;) whether gobbledygook or intelligible. Whatever the case, the style of the Squid Sisters' music seems to be similar to Japanese pop idol music.
But does every song u know made of words or understandable like smells like team spirit im just saying don't base every thing on the song please

Aloha

Inkling
What an interesting thread!

Are people still trying to decipher the writing system or have y'all moved on to creating a conlang based on Inkling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom