• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Inkling: The Language of Splatoon

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I think Callie and Marrie should try and disguise themselves as regular inklings, so they can participate in a turf war. But somehow, one of their disguises comes off, and its all downhill from there...

Bonus: do like a slow motion inkling transformation into a squid. That would be awesome.
Right now it's going to be a very short, very simple comic about Callie having terrible luck in her first round of a Turf War. Probably three or four pages. Octolings will appear. So will a Callie Kraken.

OctagonalKahn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
otagonalkahn
I think Callie and Marrie should try and disguise themselves as regular inklings, so they can participate in a turf war. But somehow, one of their disguises comes off, and its all downhill from there...

Bonus: do like a slow motion inkling transformation into a squid. That would be awesome.
How would he do a slow motion in a comic strip...

VOX

Inkster Jr.
Right now it's going to be a very short, very simple comic about Callie having terrible luck in her first round of a Turf War. Probably three or four pages. Octolings will appear. So will a Callie Kraken.
That ought to be interesting. If you planned on implementing the inkling transformation, a series of pannels is what I was talking about. If you are to do it, I would suggest a Callie to kraken sequence, as that would be especially awesome.

Rizz

Inkling
NNID
Rizzle221
I'm sad that we've declared that there's neither an official written nor spoken language in-game, but I'm so happy that you guys are making a fanon language! Can't wait to write on whiteboards, essays, and... Well, everything else.

Maybe in the future we'll all be fluent and be able to message one another in this language.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I'm sad that we've declared that there's neither an official written nor spoken language in-game, but I'm so happy that you guys are making a fanon language! Can't wait to write on whiteboards, essays, and... Well, everything else.

Maybe in the future we'll all be fluent and be able to message one another in this language.
Yeah, that would be the best!

Rizz

Inkling
NNID
Rizzle221
Perhaps I can make an actual contribution...
I haven't made the commitment yet, but what if I started on a learning guide? It's one thing to have all these lists thrown at you, but it's another thing to actually be taught it, step by step. I was thinking of making a Memrise file or something similar.

You guys are making a website, right? Is this where you're going to teach people?

Rizz

Inkling
NNID
Rizzle221
Screw it, I made the Memrise course. If you want to contribute, make an account and tell me your username. I'll add you to the contributors list.

gocrazy432

Inkling
NNID
gocrazy433
So I have some news pertaining to the original thread.

Annie's store in English has nothing to do with the original Japanese name. The Japanese name is おかしら堂 Okashira-dō) meaning boss hall (Similar to booyah base). This fits the inkling characters well.

Jelly Fresh is called : サス・オ・ボン Sasu-O-Bon which fits perfectly with the "S O B" Inkling letters/kana

Shrimp Kicks is エビスシューズ Ebisu Shoes (god of fishermen shoes) which actually fits perfectly for romaji (transliterated latin alphabet).

Ammo Knights is カンブリアームズ Kanburi Arms) which also fits perfectly for katakana.

Conclusion: Nintendo of America botched the translation so none of you english only speakers/readers can decipher Inkling.

I'm going to work on a nonfan Dictionary for Inkling.

If this thread is going to continue to be about PiyozR's fanon language I think the name of the tread should change to reflect that. So I can post in game deciphering/dictonary in the correct thread...

Last edited:

gocrazy432

Inkling
NNID
gocrazy433
Some of the people here can speak some Japanese, so if that was true, we probably would still be trying to decipher the language.
english only speakers/readers can['t] decipher Inkling...
english only
If you read the beginning of the thread people were getting it. But by page 4 or 5 lots of people gave up when a fanon language emerged.

Just because some people know Japanese here doesn't mean they all read this thread, participated in it, and spent time deciphering...

People talked about japanese glossing over that japanese has several writing systems: Hiragana (native), Katakana (Foreign assimilated words ex Coffee=Koohii コーヒー, Computer=Konpyuutaaコンピューター), Kanji (word charaters), and Romaji (Full English words)

That's 46+46+1,945(minimum)+26+10 Arabic numerals= Kanji+128

Inkling having 125+ characters as mentioned above makes sense...

Jason Tremble

Inkling
NNID
Wolverine565
If you read the beginning of the thread people were getting it. But by page 4 or 5 lots of people gave up when a fanon language emerged.
If you read the beginning of the thread people were getting it.
getting it
What do you mean by "getting it"? It usually means to understand something, but no one actually understood the in-game language, which is why most people stopped trying to decipher it.
Also, if it was a simple kanji/romanji replacement, we probably could have decoded at least some of the language just with this comparison picture. (EDIT:from @eli )
amiibo_box_comparisons.png

There's also this analysis: http://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/38lge0/the_inkling_language_may_sadly_just_be_gibberish/
So, it's probably not just a cipher.

Last edited:

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth

Just because some people know Japanese here doesn't mean they all read this thread, participated in it, and spent time deciphering...

People talked about japanese glossing over that japanese has several writing systems: Hiragana (native), Katakana (Foreign assimilated words ex Coffee=Koohii コーヒー, Computer=Konpyuutaaコンピューター), Kanji (word charaters), and Romaji (Full English words)

That's 46+46+1,945(minimum)+26+10 Arabic numerals= Kanji+128

Inkling having 125+ characters as mentioned above makes sense...
The language doesn't have Kanji, and it doesn't have roumanji. If it was a cypher for only English or Japanese, it has too many letters, if it's for both, it doesn't have enough. If this isn't just made up for creating a more life-like world, it's a completely new language with it's own words, grammar, and syntax.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
At this point, I'm wondering if we should give our fanon language its own thread instead of discussing it here. People seem to think we're suddenly part of the official dev team for no good reason.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
At this point, I'm wondering if we should give our fanon language its own thread instead of discussing it here. People seem to think we're suddenly part of the official dev team for no good reason.
That would be good. Or change the thread topic. But we need to make it so people don't think it's official.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Who wants to go through the English dictionary and translate every word
Sounds like a dream come true.

But shouldn't we be matching up words with in-game text? Like, if there's a stop sign with a word on it, we make that word "stop"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom