Inkling: The Language of Splatoon

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Many people seem to think that their language in the Squid Sisters' song sounds Japanese, but being able to speak the language like a true anime character (or a weaboo), the pronunciation and speech patterns sound anything but Japanese for the vast majority of that song. If you ask me, it sounds very, very Korean. Trust me, I've listened to Gangnam Style a lot, and I was bullied by some Korean kids once, so I am an expert in Korean listening-but-not-actually-able-to skills. The credits version of that song also sounds vaguely like Mandarin Chinese at some points too. Seems to me like some sort of alliance conspiracy among the eastern Asian countries to attack the west with marine life (especially squids and Squidward).
I'm having significant difficulty in discerning the serious from the jokes in this post.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
First off, I don't think we're quite done yet for some reason. It just feels incomplete at this stage. Just a gut feeling. But to address your concerns of letting the world know, we could make the Inkling version of foreign language textbooks, so that people can follow along and learn.
I have no real ideas for more grammar or words, but yeah, I can tell we're not done yet. I want to do something creative with it just to show it off. Maybe I'll make a fan comic about the Squid Sisters getting into some stupid situation and the whole thing will be in Inkling. Then I'll put English text over it to make it look like it was translated.

As for videos, my idea was to basically take this thread and compact it into a couple of video language lessons. Sadly, I know nothing about video editing. I do have two good friends who are studying video production, but they're really busy. I might ask them anyway. I'd rather avoid putting my scans into Movie Maker and adding a voice over. Let's make this reflect that effort that we put into it.

I could start up a YouTube channel in the meantime. How about "My Inkling Tutor"?

Yeah, I agree. YouTube can help the publicity, and we can set up a Google site or something like that for the actual info.

That said, I was wondering if we could also do something like "Teach Yourself Inkling" as a PDF for those on the go. It would certainly help as a reference.
You know, that's not a bad idea. I have a personal website for my personal creative stuff, but seeing as this was a community effort, it would be wrong for me to take all the credit. Do you mean like a Wordpress blog with individual pages for lessons?

And a PDF with all our info on it would be excellent! Let's use eli's font for that. Hopefully someone would know how to do that because I sure don't.

gocrazy432

Inkling
NNID
gocrazy433
I'm having significant difficulty in discerning the serious from the jokes in this post.
All of it is satire. Poe's Law tho. They were the one that said "inb4 aquaman"

You can't know enough of what Korean sounds like just from listening to gangnam style to discern whether the inkling from the squid sisters sounds like Korean more than Japanese when you don't know anything about the languages. Unless you fall under the "weeabo" stereo type of thinking "Datebayo" can help you learn japanese and that japanese people talk like idols or anime characters and similarly for Korean, etc..
You know, that's not a bad idea. I have a personal website for my personal creative stuff, but seeing as this was a community effort, it would be wrong for me to take all the credit. Do you mean like a Wordpress blog with individual pages for lessons?

And a PDF with all our info on it would be excellent! Let's use eli's font for that. Hopefully someone would know how to do that because I sure don't.
I wouldn't care if you took all the credit, you took the wheel of the thread it seems like for the Fanon Inkling language aspect. The thread changed a lot from when it was first started.

Those working on the fonts, etc are broader in appeal (imo) and can be used by people that don't care about Squidboard Fanon. The fonts can be used to create a different fanon Inkling, one that fits in game better for example or one that has multiple scripts with the same sounds (like Japanese kana, hiragana for native and katakana for foreign transliteration, along with kanji for whole words).

Commander Fresh

Inkling
NNID
CommanderFresh
All of it is satire. Poe's Law tho. They were the one that said "inb4 aquaman"

You can't know enough of what Korean sounds like just from listening to gangnam style to discern whether the inkling from the squid sisters sounds like Korean more than Japanese when you don't know anything about the languages. Unless you fall under the "weeabo" stereo type of thinking "Datebayo" can help you learn japanese and that japanese people talk like idols or anime characters and similarly for Korean, etc..
In light of the confusion my expertly crafted and comedically satisfying post has brought forth, allow me to restate my position: the Squid Sisters song sounds Korean (based on pronunciation and speech patterns), with an extra tiny bit of vaguely Mandarin-esque noises added into the credits version of the song. And to clarify for whatever reason that may arise, I speak English (could you tell?), Chinese and Japanese, but not Korean (I will soon though, because I've saved up an entire stockpile of Korean dramas. Coincidentally, I will also prove you wrong tebayo). Finally, I stand by the opinion that no real language has been directly implemented into either of the songs.

fedoras tip
m'squidy

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Wooow, I had to stop playing so much Splatoon and going online because I was busy with some real life stuff, but now I'm back, and all this stuff is amazing. I'll be looking through it and seeing if I can help in any way.

VOX

Inkster Jr.
Can someone please translate this song to English? I'm not sure if it's possible, but that would be amazing!

VOX

Inkster Jr.
As far as we know, the language used in the songs and in the game isn't a real language, so the lyrics to the songs are essentially gibberish.
Dang, because they sound like they are saying something interesting. Also, it would be interesting to know what the voice actors were saying before they distorted the voice.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
So I'm looking through the thread for the different characters and noticed something. Is there no straight "a" character for any particular reason? I found that it was the only English vowel missing.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
So I'm looking through the thread for the different characters and noticed something. Is there no straight "a" character for any particular reason? I found that it was the only English vowel missing.
I considered the vowel [a] being the sound for one of the simpler letters. I decided against it. Can't really think of why.

Okay okay I'm drafting ideas for what to make my Squid Sisters comic about. What should they be doing and how does it go horribly wrong?

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
Okay okay I'm drafting ideas for what to make my Squid Sisters comic about. What should they be doing and how does it go horribly wrong?
Callie's seagull shooting shinanigans gets the two in trouble with authorities and the seagulls take revenge on Callie

OctagonalKahn

Inkster Jr.
NNID
otagonalkahn
Hmm... I thought of a few things:
1.) Cooking Food ( Plenty of things that could go wrong )
2.) Pulling pranks on either each-other or another character causing it to backfire
3.) Construction/Crafting
4.) Selling Gear
5.) Befriend Octoling

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
What about introducing newcomer Inklings to Inkopolis? That would be a perfect way to introduce the basics of Inkling while showing off some extra worldbuilding.

VOX

Inkster Jr.
I considered the vowel [a] being the sound for one of the simpler letters. I decided against it. Can't really think of why.

I think Callie and Marrie should try and disguise themselves as regular inklings, so they can participate in a turf war. But somehow, one of their disguises comes off, and its all downhill from there...

Bonus: do like a slow motion inkling transformation into a squid. That would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom