• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Inkoming Version 2.2.0 Discussion

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
First of all, no blaster nerfs. Just by that, it's a decent patch.

Secondly, I'm glad they're finally giving a notable buff to the dynamo, but many people have been saying we want the good painting back. But, any buff to the dynamo is welcome.

However, the nerf to the N-Zap, or tickle, isn't going to make the N-Zap any less viable.

"Oh no, Instead of getting my special in 190 points, I have to cover 210 points of turf. That's a whole 20 more frames of shooting the ground before I get ink armor. I might have to run special charge up now, whatever should I do?"

Seriously though, you N-Zap mains got lucky. You see the most prevalent team compositions are with two N-Zap 85s on the same team. That's right, it's not just one, but TWO ON THE SAME TEAM.

It's bad enough that it's on almost every team, but having the premier team composition of this 2.1 meta be two N-Zaps is ridiculous. First of all, it makes any other weapon that can paint reliably (weapons like the Splattershot Jr, or the Splat Brella), completely irrelevant. After all, why put time and effort into learning the splat brella, when you can do just as well or better with an N-Zap in just a couple of games.

Also, with all the paint an N-Zap pours, there will be an ink armor for every 30 seconds of the match. Which by itself can win a team fight, let alone stacking it with a friend. And since the N-Zap can spam ink armor better than any other weapon out there, it makes: The splattershot jr even more irrelevant, the .96 gal and tri slosher only used for combat, the gold dynamo even more dead than it should be, and the vanilla squiffer is still not, even with this metagame defining special.

"What's the problem with all this ink armor?" "I like to be protected from everything"

First of all, it makes powerful and slow weapons even more useless. It's not like those weapons weren't struggling without ink armor everywhere anyway. The E-Liter and Dynamo were meta. In splatoon 1. With ink armor: your precise aim, mechanical skill, and prediction will only net you some damage that they'll recover before you can charge up your 1 shot attack again. Just because their teammate used ink armor from their spawn. It's not like the enemy even outplayed you. The N-Zap player on their team was painting the floor (Which is probably the easiest thing to do in this game) and pressed the right stick. No aim required. Your "misplay" was that you aimed correctly with your E-liter and hit an unaware target.

Now, if ink armor had more to it than "Press the right stick and watch all your teammates & you tank a blow" it would be a bit more balanced just because there's barely any commitment to it. With stingray and inkjet, you need to aim at your targets and use them in the appropriate situation. With Baller, Bomb Laucher, and Bubble Blower, you need to direct where the explosions are going to go and make sure you're not overextending too much with them. With tenta missles, you can fire them anywhere, but like stingray, it's really vulnerable upfront, and you need to lock on targets. And finally, with ink storm and splashdown: ink storm you at least need to direct where the storm is going and throw it correctly (be careful about walls that can obstruct your predicted throw.) And with splashdown, sure you can use it as a panic, and it has the same amount of button inputs as ink armor (with one). However, splashdown at the very least, requires you to be smart about your positioning. You can't use it in your spawn or far away from enemies.

What can ink armor do? You can use it anywhere you like, with no drawbacks in terms of effectiveness. If you use it as a panic, it will sometimes work if you have special power up, allowing you to armor yourself quicker. And if you die while using it as a panic, your team still gets ink armor anyway. So it doesn't matter if you kill the ink armor user after they failed to use their special correctly. And guess what? It's been the most prevalent special in competitive since the game's release. (Even though it's the easiest to use) Which feeds an awful mentality of using what's the easiest instead of actually mastering a weapon.

I hope you guys like another month of ink armor spam. I can't wait for 2.3.0

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I'm suprised they left out Autobombs, they've nerfed every other explosive now. Just shows how bombs are just much better than the rest of the sub weapons. I fear the Slosher buffs are pretty insignificant, so my main has been nerfed overall with less effective Suctions, though atleast the Foil Flingza has gotten I think significant enhancements to the main weapon itself. I mean Nintendo sure thinks they're significant as they bumped up it's special requirement.

And man, Nintendo really wants Dualies to be top tier lol.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
@ThatOneGuy beat me to it, but in all honestly I don't think this patch will shake up the meta all that much.
Since the NZap pretty much got nothing in terms of nerfs (Oh dear, 20 more points. Just run like 3 more subs of Special Charge and you'll be fine) and Ink Armor didn't get any changes, the competitive meta will still be double NZap

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
What's the purpose of increasing the dynamo's damage from 150 to 180? I honestly have no idea how that would ever help, as 100 damage kills an inkling and that little boost won't do much in salmon run.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
What's the purpose of increasing the dynamo's damage from 150 to 180? I honestly have no idea how that would ever help, as 100 damage kills an inkling and that little boost won't do much in salmon run.
Basically it means they have to adjust the weaker damages so that you have more lethal distance. The OHKO is the same but I guess you can two shot easier now

EDIT: After testing you can 2-shot from quite a ways away now. The horizontal swing has a MUCH better fighting chance now

Last edited:

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Slosher buff will save my life... It paints the feet absolutely terribly, but now we got a cute little dot at the start of the ink trail when you slosh

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
The dual squelcher used to be my main in splatoon 1. Heck. The vanilla and custom combined are my most inked weapon. The squelcher now is a dualie, which was kind of eh but i'll learn. When playing i noticed that i wasn't hitting my shots. 'Man i really suck' i thought to myself (and well it's true). But even so i felt like some shots just weren't connecting properly. Then the update comes around buffing the hitbox of dualies. I've only played 3 matches so far, but in those matches my shots consistently landed time and time again, way more than any other time i played. Suffice to say. My baby is back. And i'll be playing it and whatever variant we get in the future a lot.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
The dual squelcher used to be my main in splatoon 1. Heck. The vanilla and custom combined are my most inked weapon. The squelcher now is a dualie, which was kind of eh but i'll learn. When playing i noticed that i wasn't hitting my shots. 'Man i really suck' i thought to myself (and well it's true). But even so i felt like some shots just weren't connecting properly. Then the update comes around buffing the hitbox of dualies. I've only played 3 matches so far, but in those matches my shots consistently landed time and time again, way more than any other time i played. Suffice to say. My baby is back. And i'll be playing it and whatever variant we get in the future a lot.
Honestly, I was on the same boat as you. I wanted to love the Dualie Squelchers (since the Dual Squelcher was one of my favorites from the first Splatoon game) but I noticed after playing with the weapon for a while I noticed that the only thing that really annoyed me about the weapon was the accuracy.

I've lost plenty of engagements at mid/close range simply because the random spread decided not to land on the target which kind of made me lose interest in the weapon due to how inconstant it was. Now they kind of fixed that issue, which makes me ten times more hyped for the custom variant due to it's excellent kit.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
Well hey at least I can say with these Goo Tuber buffs it is probably going to do 2 things...
1) It's going to make the weapon more forgiving with a much better close quarters option with more damage on not fully charged shots
and 2) People might stop asking why I'm throwing the game just for having it equipped.
I don't think it's going to become a meta weapon though, because the Splat Charger exists and you still need to put in effort to actually learn how the weapon works.

Windstar

Pro Squid
Disappointed a tad about the Forge nerf, but I already run Special Charge Up with it anyway.

StarRage

Inkling
NNID
Ronin
Switch Friend Code
SW-8220-3455-4627
Really liking the Flingza buff! It was the first roller I could use well and was able to get good use of it in the past but now I'm really rocking with it. My ranged harass is now bringing many more Splats.

Also, haven't tried it in a match yet, but that movement buff to the Inkbrush is kinda nuts. Checked it out on the practice range and you really fly around while swinging now. Definitely the oddest buff, curious about how it changes it's use?

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I find it odd that Nintendo buffs the Heavy, but not Jet, which is the one that actually needs a buff. Ever since the FIRST game, Jet has been seen as a worse heavy, and I thought it was going to change with this game. With the shot velocity buff, I thought they were going to slowly buff it so that it was always balanced, but not broken (something they did not do with Forge Pro). All us Jet mains (there are only like 6 of us including me) just want better painting and (in my case) slightly better range! It can't be that hard.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I find it odd that Nintendo buffs the Heavy, but not Jet, which is the one that actually needs a buff. Ever since the FIRST game, Jet has been seen as a worse heavy, and I thought it was going to change with this game. With the shot velocity buff, I thought they were going to slowly buff it so that it was always balanced, but not broken (something they did not do with Forge Pro). All us Jet mains (there are only like 6 of us including me) just want better painting and (in my case) slightly better range! It can't be that hard.
Hi, I'm a Jet main, don't presume to speak for me or anyone else, thanks. To be lazy and quote Hitzel...

"The Jet is strong because it is a weapon with longer range than all of the other mid range shooters while still being a shooter. This sounds obvious but what this means is that it can play the part of a charger or Splatling and also be able to "go in" whenever it pleases. What the best jets are doing right now is doing the intuitive backline stuff, but when they see a teammate about to be aggressive they move up with them, help get the kill(s), and immediately fall back to being the backline. This sets them apart from chargers and Heavy while their range sets them apart from the mid range rifles like Pro and 96 etc."

I know you've been on this crusade to buff the Jet, but the Jet is viable. Not meta, but viable. The heavy got that buff so it perform better assists and kill with falloff damage, also both weapons struggle in this short-range meta if challenged up close and this helps the Heavy in that regard. The weapon is in a good place for the role it performs. Just let it go, man.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Hi, I'm a Jet main, don't presume to speak for me or anyone else, thanks. To be lazy and quote Hitzel...

"The Jet is strong because it is a weapon with longer range than all of the other mid range shooters while still being a shooter. This sounds obvious but what this means is that it can play the part of a charger or Splatling and also be able to "go in" whenever it pleases. What the best jets are doing right now is doing the intuitive backline stuff, but when they see a teammate about to be aggressive they move up with them, help get the kill(s), and immediately fall back to being the backline. This sets them apart from chargers and Heavy while their range sets them apart from the mid range rifles like Pro and 96 etc."

I know you've been on this crusade to buff the Jet, but the Jet is viable. Not meta, but viable. The heavy got that buff so it perform better assists and kill with falloff damage, also both weapons struggle in this short-range meta if challenged up close and this helps the Heavy in that regard. The weapon is in a good place for the role it performs. Just let it go, man.
Yes most of this is true. Can you get an official date for when he said this? It sounds like Splatoon 1 CJS, that had Kracken to protect it in short range fights. New CJS has Sting Ray.

I'm not saying Jet is bad (If I did, why would I still be maining it after over 2 years?), I'm just saying that 90% of the competitive community looks at the thing like a worse Heavy, and making it paint better would be great in helping it get more use. Many top players, such as Gam3rAdvanced, The One, and FLC have put CJS low on their tier lists (or, in Gam3r's case, constantly calling the weapon and everyone who mains it bad) because of its subpar painting.

Windstar

Pro Squid
I don’t think the Jet needs much of a buff. It has the highest range in the game (of a shooter, anyway) and has a great support kit, especially for Tower Control. I like to think of the Jet as a “midline” gun, a gun that can switch between frontline and back line while still being useful.

You do bring up a good point about the painting power, though. It could use a slight fire rate buff.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310

Also, another thing I forgot to touch on was Heavy. Heavy actually doesn't have much of a problem in the current meta. You charge for half a second and you can mow short-ranges down in no time.

What are the meta weapons right now? Forge Pro and Nzap.

Heavy beats most Nzaps because it shoots so fast Armour does very little, and It's pretty good against Forge's bubbles because of the same reason (and now the damage buff makes it even better).

Heavy Deco also has bubbles itself, which is one of the reasons Forge is so good.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Yes most of this is true. Can you get an official date for when he said this? It sounds like Splatoon 1 CJS, that had Kracken to protect it in short range fights. New CJS has Sting Ray.

I'm not saying Jet is bad (If I did, why would I still be maining it after over 2 years?), I'm just saying that 90% of the competitive community looks at the thing like a worse Heavy, and making it paint better would be great in helping it get more use. Many top players, such as Gam3rAdvanced, The One, and FLC have put CJS low on their tier lists (or, in Gam3r's case, constantly calling the weapon and everyone who mains it bad) because of its subpar painting.
That's from a few months ago on this very forum, and the Jet's situation hasn't changed since. Moreover, why do you care so much what the "pros" think, especially someone judgemental enough to say stuff like Gam3r does? That'd be obnoxious no matter what the topic is. If you like the weapon and know how to counter the meta with it, then the opinion of others shouldn't matter.

You're also overestimating the Heavy's close-quarters capabilities, but I'm not getting into that. The Jet isn't getting buffed.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
Also, another thing I forgot to touch on was Heavy. Heavy actually doesn't have much of a problem in the current meta. You charge for half a second and you can mow short-ranges down in no time.

What are the meta weapons right now? Forge Pro and Nzap.

Heavy beats most Nzaps because it shoots so fast Armour does very little, and It's pretty good against Forge's bubbles because of the same reason (and now the damage buff makes it even better).

Heavy Deco also has bubbles itself, which is one of the reasons Forge is so good.
''If the Heavy doesn't have much of a problem in the meta, then why doesn't it get picked more?''
No, the Heavy Splatling does have problems in this meta since close range weapons and Ink Armor are so prevalent. It's not that easy to mow down close rangers with a Splatling, that ''half second'' in a head to head fight is enough for any close range weapon to kill you first.
It doesn't help the Heavy at all that you actually need to learn things about Splatlings (like partial charges timing) to be efficient with it, unlike the Forge Pro or N-Zap that takes much less effort for about the same rewards.

Second, because of how Ink Armor works (it blocks 1 shot, and then it has invulnerability frames as it breaks), it can block 3-4 shots of a Splatling before the other person becomes vulnerable again, so it gives them a big enough window to close the gap to kill you or run away. Then latency and/or lag kicks in, making this situation even worse.
The damage buff to 32 will help against that though since armor will break on the first hit, but the point still stands.

Another reason why Forge Pro is being picked over Heavy Deco, is because the Forge can make more efficient use of their bubbles, because of the Suction Bombs and the fact that it doesn't have to charge up and can start shooting at them immediately after deploying them. It gives them more control and they are more free with their bubbles than the Heavy Deco here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom