• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Is Arowana Mall still in rotation?

Tyson TH

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
tyson_th
That makes me think they found something worse than just the pipe thing in mall. Something that affects all modes. Maybe they're doing an Underpass with it, but I can't really imagine they would.
I personally despise what they did with the trees in the Underpass redesign, those trees were fine the way they were in my opinion. Now they block inkzookas, charger shots and they make it hard to get rid of pesky Sprinklers that get thrown on them. So if an Arowana redesign were true they better not touch those trees.

Last edited:

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I personally despise what they did with the trees in the Underpass redesign, those trees were fine the way they were in my opinion. Now they block inkzookas, charger shots and they make it hard to get rid of pesky Sprinklers that get thrown on there. So if an Arowana redesign were true they better not touch these trees.
It had to be said!!! LEAVE THE TREES ALONE! :(:(

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I personally despise what they did with the trees in the Underpass redesign, those trees were fine the way they were in my opinion. Now they block inkzookas, charger shots and they make it hard to get rid of pesky Sprinklers that get thrown on them. So if an Arowana redesign were true they better not touch those trees.
I'm pretty sure blocking charger shots was specifically the reason why they put the trees there to begin with ;) However, as a charger main, I have to strongly agree with you. I hate those things, and they're one of the big reasons I feel completely useless in Underpass when I bring eliter :mad: It's a fair argument that chargers had too clear a view in the old one, but, then that was when everyone was just irritable around chargers before they nerfed eliters... Since most of the time I fight there half the battle takes place inside either base where eliters are already useless, and battle only briefly passes through mid, I think they messed it up.

I fear the same general griping was going on for Mall that chargers had too clear a view. Hold onto your tress and mall directories! :(

Tyson TH

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
tyson_th
I'm pretty sure blocking charger shots was specifically the reason why they put the trees there to begin with ;) However, as a charger main, I have to strongly agree with you. I hate those things, and they're one of the big reasons I feel completely useless in Underpass when I bring eliter :mad: It's a fair argument that chargers had too clear a view in the old one, but, then that was when everyone was just irritable around chargers before they nerfed eliters... Since most of the time I fight there half the battle takes place inside either base where eliters are already useless, and battle only briefly passes through mid, I think they messed it up.

I fear the same general griping was going on for Mall that chargers had too clear a view. Hold onto your tress and mall directories! :(
I only just now started getting into Chargers due to my recent switch from analog to gyro controls, so I've only gotten a little taste of that. I usually try to get into their Hall and try to snipe from there but even there it seems kind of useless.

Being a Tentatek main I got insanely annoyed in Splat Zones where my Inkzooka shots were useless when I wanted to shoot opponents on the other side of the zone.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid

Thoroughly convinced that Urchin Underpass is by far the worst sniper stage.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Huh... I never noticed that it wasn't in rotation for a while. Good. No Mall is the best Mall if you ask me. =/

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Huh... I never noticed that it wasn't in rotation for a while. Good. No Mall is the best Mall if you ask me. =/
I have, wasn't expecting Mall not to be in rotation for so long... but yea, I'm not really a fan of that map either so I don't mind honestly. lol

Last edited:

Award

I only just now started getting into Chargers due to my recent switch from analog to gyro controls, so I've only gotten a little taste of that. I usually try to get into their Hall and try to snipe from there but even there it seems kind of useless.

Being a Tentatek main I got insanely annoyed in Splat Zones where my Inkzooka shots were useless when I wanted to shoot opponents on the other side of the zone.
People praise inkzooka so much but I still can't really make the most of it. I'll use it to pick off snipers when I'm using Carbon, but I generally only get 1-2 splats out of it. It's useless on underpass (not sure I've ever been killed by a non-laggy inkzooka in at least half the maps.) Inkzooka isn't really good on Mall either, if you fire it from above it misses everyone below, and if you fire from below, you're only going to hit someone up to the apex of the ramps. Inkzooka seems to be so meta and considered the apex of specials, but in my hands it still feels overwhelmingly situational.

IMO most maps have obstructions between split zones. Warehouse puts the crates there, Museum has the rotating tower column, skatepark has the tower, Underpass goes in that list, but the problem with Underpass is there's NO angle for straight line weapons. Range & Rapid blasters can just shell the ravine all day, and splat bomb rush is just awful there.

I still don't know why everyone hates mall beyond the spawncamps. As though makarel, warehouse, and skatepark don't end in spawncamps just as often.

Thoroughly convinced that Urchin Underpass is by far the worst sniper stage.
I'm glad to hear someone else that agrees! I don't see that much in the charger threads, but I've been pretty much of that opinion. And Marie promotes it as a charger stage in the stage tips which makes it twice as annoying. it's not so much that it's "difficult" (though getting overrun in the side halls is all too easy and hard to fight back, and in every round I play, the first thing either team does is rush the enemy base), it's just that it's a boring 3-5:00 because there's virtually nothing to DO. Sure, you can use your long reach to paint the long areas, but either there's no one to shoot, or you're fighting off an invasion at close range. It's never in between.

Though I'd give Flounder Heights runner up. Any position in mid gets overrun too easily, and any position in the base can't reach where it needs to up in mid. Port Mackarel is second runner up. It seems like a great map on paper, but due to all the choke points, once you set up in a position, if your team doesn't suck, little else comes your way, but you have to wait there in case of flank attempt.

But Flounder, Mackarel & Mahi are at least strong splat charger/splatterscope maps, they just aren't fun for eliter. Underpass is awful for both.

It really makes me miss mall :(

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I hadn't noticed it was missing:scared:. I can't offer judgement on it cause I've actually never played on it. I hope they bring it back soon.

Tyson TH

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
tyson_th
People praise inkzooka so much but I still can't really make the most of it. I'll use it to pick off snipers when I'm using Carbon, but I generally only get 1-2 splats out of it. It's useless on underpass (not sure I've ever been killed by a non-laggy inkzooka in at least half the maps.) Inkzooka isn't really good on Mall either, if you fire it from above it misses everyone below, and if you fire from below, you're only going to hit someone up to the apex of the ramps. Inkzooka seems to be so meta and considered the apex of specials, but in my hands it still feels overwhelmingly situational.

IMO most maps have obstructions between split zones. Warehouse puts the crates there, Museum has the rotating tower column, skatepark has the tower, Underpass goes in that list, but the problem with Underpass is there's NO angle for straight line weapons. Range & Rapid blasters can just shell the ravine all day, and splat bomb rush is just awful there.

I still don't know why everyone hates mall beyond the spawncamps. As though makarel, warehouse, and skatepark don't end in spawncamps just as often.
The nerfs Inkzooka got back in the older updates have really made me just not want to pick up Tentatek as often. Most specials in general don't appeal to me and in metagame that has been progressively favoring Bomb Rushes more and more it can really make Underpass a complete mess sometimes. In complete honesty, Inkzooka and Kraken are becoming less and less viable. The only special I ever find myself losing to constantly is Bomb Rushes because they always seem to land near me and each individual one nibbles down my health until I could literally be 5 feet away and its radius is enough to take down that last percentage.[/QUOTE]

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Though I'd give Flounder Heights runner up. Any position in mid gets overrun too easily, and any position in the base can't reach where it needs to up in mid.
I don't totally agree. I concur that it isn't the strongest sniper stage, but it's far more doable than Urchin Underpass. In Splat Zones, an E-Liter can camp on the ledge peering towards the bridge. It has enough range where it can reach deep into both zones and hit the middle bridge as well. Plus, you also get a clear shot of the underpass beneath the bridge, covering several spots at once. It demands high accuracy since a single missed shot in this stage has huge consequences just because people are exposed only for moments, but it's definitely manageable, at least relative to Urchin Underpass.

Plus, the ledge in the midground peering down at the spawn point (pic for reference)

is probably the best place for sniping in the entire map, both for Splatterscopes/chargers and E-Liters since you can pretty much hit anywhere, and it's easier to predict flanks since you have a wide view of the area in front of you. It's also a great support point for getting your guys closer to the spawn point for Rainmaker.

ThaiTD

Inkling
NNID
Thailps28
Well I guess we could say rest in pepperoni to arowana. I haven't seen it in WEEKS

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
Arowana is my favourite so I'm sad I always do private battles though so I'm good

Award

The nerfs Inkzooka got back in the older updates have really made me just not want to pick up Tentatek as often. Most specials in general don't appeal to me and in metagame that has been progressively favoring Bomb Rushes more and more it can really make Underpass a complete mess sometimes. In complete honesty, Inkzooka and Kraken are becoming less and less viable. The only special I ever find myself losing to constantly is Bomb Rushes because they always seem to land near me and each individual one nibbles down my health until I could literally be 5 feet away and its radius is enough to take down that last percentage.
[/QUOTE]

Given you're in S+ I think that's a pretty interesting statement. I've personally never gotten along with most specials the way a lot of people do, and I've seen more and more open rushes of just charging specials as the main weapon. But I've never really loved most of them. Not that I haven't experienced tons of cheap and/or laggy deaths to all of them, but I just tend to focus on my main/sub much more than specials. I've always had the feeling that effective use of specials was the dividing line between great players and the rest, but I can't love them in general, and ironically the bomb rushes are the ones I tend to actually use (and echo) though few of the weapons I play short of luna actually have it.

But inkzooka is the one I hear of time and time again as to how great it is, and I've never been very good at making it effective. But I've also never had much problem avoiding getting hit by them unless it's point blank. I've been killed by cheap, lag induced kraken deaths more often than inkzookas since I favor the extremes (either long range eliter, or ultra-close carbon roller, sploosh, luna.)

I don't totally agree. I concur that it isn't the strongest sniper stage, but it's far more doable than Urchin Underpass. In Splat Zones, an E-Liter can camp on the ledge peering towards the bridge. It has enough range where it can reach deep into both zones and hit the middle bridge as well. Plus, you also get a clear shot of the underpass beneath the bridge, covering several spots at once. It demands high accuracy since a single missed shot in this stage has huge consequences just because people are exposed only for moments, but it's definitely manageable, at least relative to Urchin Underpass.

Plus, the ledge in the midground peering down at the spawn point (pic for reference)

is probably the best place for sniping in the entire map, both for Splatterscopes/chargers and E-Liters since you can pretty much hit anywhere, and it's easier to predict flanks since you have a wide view of the area in front of you. It's also a great support point for getting your guys closer to the spawn point for Rainmaker.

Interesting advice! I've never tried that spot, for some reason, and I'll have to give it a try. I've generally favored TW over the ranked modes, but I might be changing that outlook due to constantly getting way outmatched in TW. At this point, though I'm an eliter main ore or less, I've become "good" but not "great" nor an "ace" in terms of accuracy in split second shots. I can outclass many would be snipers, but I can't match the best, so I'm not sure how reliable those momentary shots might be for me, but I'm game to try anything in that map since I've yet to find a real strategy for it. ANYTHING is a beter map for it than underpass though! Personally I even find eliter ok on kelp dome, one of the most hated maps for eliters, but just can't get underpass to work for anything!

Kausus

Inkling
NNID
Kausus
Switch Friend Code
SW-3782-1311-5237
I've noticed Arowana's been missing and I've sort of missed it, if I'm gonna be honest. I wonder when it'll be back? o_O

Award

I've noticed Arowana's been missing and I've sort of missed it, if I'm gonna be honest. I wonder when it'll be back? o_O
Were you playing Splatfest near the end of the run? If so I think it was you I had either in one of the teams, or in the plaza with a Miivere post after!

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Interesting advice! I've never tried that spot, for some reason, and I'll have to give it a try. I've generally favored TW over the ranked modes, but I might be changing that outlook due to constantly getting way outmatched in TW. At this point, though I'm an eliter main ore or less, I've become "good" but not "great" nor an "ace" in terms of accuracy in split second shots. I can outclass many would be snipers, but I can't match the best, so I'm not sure how reliable those momentary shots might be for me, but I'm game to try anything in that map since I've yet to find a real strategy for it. ANYTHING is a beter map for it than underpass though! Personally I even find eliter ok on kelp dome, one of the most hated maps for eliters, but just can't get underpass to work for anything!
In case it wasn't clear in my original post, the building I'm pointing to is facing toward's the enemy's spawn point, not yours. That spot isn't nearly as strict in terms of timing as the other spot I was talking about since you have a clearer view of the whole area in front. You just have to worry about someone taking the long way around to flank you, but that takes time and puts less pressure on the tower/rainmaker/splat zone, which you can use to get/maintain a push.

FlamingZelda

Inkling
NNID
FlamingZelda
I've been playing since Christmas and I've seen every level in rotation except Arowana mall. Looking through these posts makes it sound like it was a lousy stage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom