• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Is Arowana Mall still in rotation?

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I can see your point with the pillar / centre of kelp, but how is this similar to skatepark? Once you establish map control, the pillar is exactly where you should go. On kelp it's a lot harder to keep it, but the same rule still applies.

Definitely don't agree that e liter > splatterscope on kelp dome either. There aren't many places where you get to abuse the extra range and the charging speed is gonna hurt you a lot with the 5 million ways to approach. For port mackerel, both bring something very good. E liter can shoot the lanes and kelp splatterscope has wails.
Depending on the game, I'll take the pillars in either map, but I'll choose not to in more games than I'll choose to. I've held both towers with the eliter, but I've actually found the tower in kelp to be the easier one to hold. Despite being in the round, it gives you a good vantage and long enough lead time to see anyone coming from either end of the floor or along the catwalks. Skatepark provides too many opportunities for longer ranged weapons like RBP, other chargers, etc to catch you unaware or someone to sneak up and climb the tower if you're focused on someone else. Also, Kelp is easier to maintain the tower if they keep inkstriking/splat/suctionbombing it to get you off the tower, you have a lot of directions to safely fall back and get right back up. Skatepark, once you're forced off that tiny tower you're often dumped right into a bad place. Finally the tower in Dome is HUGE with lots of places to change position and hide in ink so that a blind shot isn't a guaranteed kill. In skatepark it's easy for enemies to blind-fire into the top and hit whatever is there. And Skatepark's tower is ALWAYS under fire unless the map is totally locked down. Kelp dome is more prone to go back and forth as the team gets distracted elsewhere.

However, the mid tower isn't the IDEAL place to be sniping from on either at least in a highly contested game. If your team has mid locked on dome, yeah, I agree with you, that's where I'll be is on the tower. The waves can be held off once you know you have control of that room (like saltspray.) But Skatepark is NEVER really locked down enough for that, unless you have it all the way to a spawncamp. Mid is always in play. That tower gets you splatted, and it's so easy for an enemy sniper to repeatedly take you out from discreet locations, and easy for blasters to just blast the whole tower top, let alone if there's a hydra around. TBH, if I lose both the side towers in Skatepark I'm more effective roaming around and taking shots from the ramps. It's easy for enemies to NOT look in the valleys for snipers. I'm more likely to take the skatepark mid tower if I'm using an RBP/RangeBlaster, or even a roller for flinging. With a shooter I'll take it briefly and get off before the bombs come in.

Finally if you're killing more with splat bombs than with the actual charger, you're likely not positioning yourself correctly.
Yeah, TBH I don't use splat charger like a sniper rifle, I save that for eliter. I use it like an odd shotgun and grenade launcher. I.E. I take the splat charger BECAUSE I intend to use the grenade launcher, otherwise I'd take eliter. I had a thread asking other charger users when/why they choose which one to take, and mostly ended up with answers that indicate they either always take one or the other for the most part and don't switch much. So I use splat charger as my grenade launcher with a bonus rifle. Inksaver Sub & Ink recovery loadout (or dmg up.) Eliter's for the sniping.

'm not sure what you mean
Do you mean like the snipers hit people when they shouldn't have and that the person they hit got covered in ink but didn't die.
Exactly. I mean I'm used to lag issues in Piranha, especially for sniping, but this was just weird. I had eliter, and numerous shots that should have hit, just didn't. Other shots that SHOULDN'T have hit somehow DID hit. Several of my kills were blind shots at ink that I felt missed broadly and I somehow got a kill. I suspect THAT shot did miss broadly and the kill was from the "missed but shouldn't have" shot previously. It's possible to get blind splats with an eliter under ink, but not at that rate of frequency. And several times 1 full charge, or 2-3 semi charge shots made the hit sound, covered them in ink, but did not kill them despite making the hit sound, as though it counted as a partial, or only 1 of the semi charges "really" hit. At first I thought I was just missing and generally sucking since it's been a while since I played this map and I was a scrubby eliter last time I played eliter on it, but then I realized I wasn't having any issues when it'd rotate to warehouse. There were a lot of players dropping out on Mall too. At least one player would be a dropout probably 60% of rounds And these weren't good opponents that were moving in hard to hit unpredictable lines, they were kind of scrubby moving in straight lines. I saw several times ink trails forming with the roller BEHIND it, the usual teleporters, getting the kill indicator after I'd turned around and moved to another location, and the moment I KNEW the issue was lag was when I got splatted mid-superjump! By an Aerospray RG!

It's not like lag is rare in this game, but I found it weird that it seemed specific to Arowanna, or at least Warehouse didn't have the issue nearly as pronounced. Same lobby. One time one of the more nimble players was in our base taking shots at me from either side of one of the "mall directory" signs, going back and forth dodging me, I'd sit fully charged, hit when she popped out, and it would count as a miss. I may not be the best sniper on the planet, but given 6 chances to land full charged shots when an enemy pops out predictably from cover, even I'm pretty guaranteed to hit at least once! But it was like what I was shooting at wasn't really there (because it wasn't.) I chased that player down (Yeah, a rundown with a custom eliter and no special, I was THAT annoyed), continued "missing" despite trapping her in ink several times, and finally DID land the kill, from the longest of ranges, on the ramp, taking a blind shot to cover the ink trail (we lost anyway, but that kill felt good! :p) I suspect I wasn't the one experiencing the worst of the lag. We had a lvl50 A- rank player on our TW team with an Octoshot who killed 0 and got killed 6 times with a whopping 230p. And we were definitely not outmatched by great players.

Interesting about the hacker, I don't think I saw that (I was using CEliter so I was watching my beacons), but it's disturbing to hear that a hack like that made it onto the live servers immediately after 2.5 dropped. :(

Personally for me my best charger map is arowana so many spots that no one can get you in
Kelp dome is my second best I either stand in the area where the pomposity team sneak in or on the pillar I'm really good at that tbh black belly it's a hard one for me I even found an exploit in it which I haven't seen anyone else do and it's great to pull of with a splattershot/aero spray. Chargers for me are good my kelp splatterscope I use it on the platform in the right alleyway of your base and suddenly when you have full control I go to the big tower this stops them possessing the tower unless they sneak around and get me from behind
I think my favorite charger map is actually Hammerhead Bridge. It plays so well for ALL my favorite weapons. My "grenade launcher" splat charger is great on the ground. Eliter's great at the center, CEliter is great to jump back and forth on the sides and center, Carbon is great on the ground, and Hydra is great on the catwalks. Moray, I both love and hate depending on how the round goes, but it's hard to deny how fun it is for eliters and rollers. Dome has worked up on my list from "hate it" to "kind of love it" - it's always exciting and has some great turnarounds. Mall might be my #2 for CEliter behind Bridge. It's so fun jumping around to the different sniping locations without having to worry too much about my beacons.

Skatepark, I either love it or hate it and never in between. It's a problem so many times, and I've been spawncamped ALMOST as often as warehouse/Mackerel, my two hated maps. Yet other times it plays so well. But mid is NEVER in control in my matches, not unless one side is spawncamped. Mid is always just a cacophony of explosions and the tower changes hands every 20 seconds. The tower is basically a Splat Zone in TW.

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
Depending on the game, I'll take the pillars in either map, but I'll choose not to in more games than I'll choose to. I've held both towers with the eliter, but I've actually found the tower in kelp to be the easier one to hold. Despite being in the round, it gives you a good vantage and long enough lead time to see anyone coming from either end of the floor or along the catwalks. Skatepark provides too many opportunities for longer ranged weapons like RBP, other chargers, etc to catch you unaware or someone to sneak up and climb the tower if you're focused on someone else. Also, Kelp is easier to maintain the tower if they keep inkstriking/splat/suctionbombing it to get you off the tower, you have a lot of directions to safely fall back and get right back up. Skatepark, once you're forced off that tiny tower you're often dumped right into a bad place. Finally the tower in Dome is HUGE with lots of places to change position and hide in ink so that a blind shot isn't a guaranteed kill. In skatepark it's easy for enemies to blind-fire into the top and hit whatever is there. And Skatepark's tower is ALWAYS under fire unless the map is totally locked down. Kelp dome is more prone to go back and forth as the team gets distracted elsewhere.

However, the mid tower isn't the IDEAL place to be sniping from on either at least in a highly contested game. If your team has mid locked on dome, yeah, I agree with you, that's where I'll be is on the tower. The waves can be held off once you know you have control of that room (like saltspray.) But Skatepark is NEVER really locked down enough for that, unless you have it all the way to a spawncamp. Mid is always in play. That tower gets you splatted, and it's so easy for an enemy sniper to repeatedly take you out from discreet locations, and easy for blasters to just blast the whole tower top, let alone if there's a hydra around. TBH, if I lose both the side towers in Skatepark I'm more effective roaming around and taking shots from the ramps. It's easy for enemies to NOT look in the valleys for snipers. I'm more likely to take the skatepark mid tower if I'm using an RBP/RangeBlaster, or even a roller for flinging. With a shooter I'll take it briefly and get off before the bombs come in.

Yeah, TBH I don't use splat charger like a sniper rifle, I save that for eliter. I use it like an odd shotgun and grenade launcher. I.E. I take the splat charger BECAUSE I intend to use the grenade launcher, otherwise I'd take eliter. I had a thread asking other charger users when/why they choose which one to take, and mostly ended up with answers that indicate they either always take one or the other for the most part and don't switch much. So I use splat charger as my grenade launcher with a bonus rifle. Inksaver Sub & Ink recovery loadout (or dmg up.) Eliter's for the sniping.

Exactly. I mean I'm used to lag issues in Piranha, especially for sniping, but this was just weird. I had eliter, and numerous shots that should have hit, just didn't. Other shots that SHOULDN'T have hit somehow DID hit. Several of my kills were blind shots at ink that I felt missed broadly and I somehow got a kill. I suspect THAT shot did miss broadly and the kill was from the "missed but shouldn't have" shot previously. It's possible to get blind splats with an eliter under ink, but not at that rate of frequency. And several times 1 full charge, or 2-3 semi charge shots made the hit sound, covered them in ink, but did not kill them despite making the hit sound, as though it counted as a partial, or only 1 of the semi charges "really" hit. At first I thought I was just missing and generally sucking since it's been a while since I played this map and I was a scrubby eliter last time I played eliter on it, but then I realized I wasn't having any issues when it'd rotate to warehouse. There were a lot of players dropping out on Mall too. At least one player would be a dropout probably 60% of rounds And these weren't good opponents that were moving in hard to hit unpredictable lines, they were kind of scrubby moving in straight lines. I saw several times ink trails forming with the roller BEHIND it, the usual teleporters, getting the kill indicator after I'd turned around and moved to another location, and the moment I KNEW the issue was lag was when I got splatted mid-superjump! By an Aerospray RG!

It's not like lag is rare in this game, but I found it weird that it seemed specific to Arowanna, or at least Warehouse didn't have the issue nearly as pronounced. Same lobby. One time one of the more nimble players was in our base taking shots at me from either side of one of the "mall directory" signs, going back and forth dodging me, I'd sit fully charged, hit when she popped out, and it would count as a miss. I may not be the best sniper on the planet, but given 6 chances to land full charged shots when an enemy pops out predictably from cover, even I'm pretty guaranteed to hit at least once! But it was like what I was shooting at wasn't really there (because it wasn't.) I chased that player down (Yeah, a rundown with a custom eliter and no special, I was THAT annoyed), continued "missing" despite trapping her in ink several times, and finally DID land the kill, from the longest of ranges, on the ramp, taking a blind shot to cover the ink trail (we lost anyway, but that kill felt good! :p) I suspect I wasn't the one experiencing the worst of the lag. We had a lvl50 A- rank player on our TW team with an Octoshot who killed 0 and got killed 6 times with a whopping 230p. And we were definitely not outmatched by great players.

Interesting about the hacker, I don't think I saw that (I was using CEliter so I was watching my beacons), but it's disturbing to hear that a hack like that made it onto the live servers immediately after 2.5 dropped. :(

I think my favorite charger map is actually Hammerhead Bridge. It plays so well for ALL my favorite weapons. My "grenade launcher" splat charger is great on the ground. Eliter's great at the center, CEliter is great to jump back and forth on the sides and center, Carbon is great on the ground, and Hydra is great on the catwalks. Moray, I both love and hate depending on how the round goes, but it's hard to deny how fun it is for eliters and rollers. Dome has worked up on my list from "hate it" to "kind of love it" - it's always exciting and has some great turnarounds. Mall might be my #2 for CEliter behind Bridge. It's so fun jumping around to the different sniping locations without having to worry too much about my beacons.

Skatepark, I either love it or hate it and never in between. It's a problem so many times, and I've been spawncamped ALMOST as often as warehouse/Mackerel, my two hated maps. Yet other times it plays so well. But mid is NEVER in control in my matches, not unless one side is spawncamped. Mid is always just a cacophony of explosions and the tower changes hands every 20 seconds. The tower is basically a Splat Zone in TW.
Personally I loath hammerhead I can't stand it unless dual squelcher
Hmm that sounds odd arowana have you got stable internet or was there any lag as in delayed actions

Award

Personally I loath hammerhead I can't stand it unless dual squelcher
Hmm that sounds odd arowana have you got stable internet or was there any lag as in delayed actions
Really? What about Hammerhead do you dislike?

Mackarel and Warehouse are my two nemesis, and sometimes skatepark. Those 3 count for probably 90% of the spawncamps I've ever been victim to and the first two probably make up the first 80%. Piranha might end up on that list unless they add obstructions to side view when standing in front of the spawn conveyor.

I didn't have any "connection unstable" issues or anything, and my own inktrails were keeping up with me etc. And it of course included numerous Japanese players (though the recent Splatfest proved that doesn't mean it's worse than US players.)

The same lobby didn't seem as affected in Warehouse, and different lobbies seemed to have similar (but not always the same) effects. I'll say I didn't have any worse than usual laggy player issues when I played before the maintenence kicked us all out, and the arowanna/warehouse rotation was all I played post-2.5.0 right after the patch. At first I didn't link the lag to all the dropouts, I assumed it was ragequitting by people that hate Mall, but it was a very high rate of dropouts. 1-2 players were missing (0p) in more than half the rounds. That doesn't always mean much, but the two can't be unrelated. I do think that's the first time I've been splatted mid-SJ though!

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
Really? What about Hammerhead do you dislike?
EVERYTHING here's the list:
1. Too boring and simple
2. Is the only map I've ever been spawn camped in
3. No good charger spots
4. The zones too big.
5. Boring
6. No good weapon fit except dual squelcher
7. Boring
8. I got hyped for a new map for nothing
9. Did I mention it's boring?

Well I don't know unless you were recording that arowana match

Award

EVERYTHING here's the list:
1. Too boring and simple
2. Is the only map I've ever been spawn camped in
3. No good charger spots
4. The zones too big.
5. Boring
6. No good weapon fit except dual squelcher
7. Boring
8. I got hyped for a new map for nothing
9. Did I mention it's boring?

Well I don't know unless you were recording that arowana match
LOL :)

I think that's just about the only map I haven't been spawncamped in! It's hard to get up there and harder still to hold it. Walleye, Blackbelly, Mackerel, Depot, even Museum and Piranha I've been spawncamped in. Not once on Bridge! I think I see where it could happen though, there have been a few where they're camping down on the bottom area right after our spawn. But the combination of grates the side drop on the left, and the complex ramps on the right make it a little easier to break free than other maps because they're far from the spawn itself, and easier to wreak havoc if you do. But I can understand the hate for the spawncamp maps...I know I do!

Charger spots, nah, thats one of the things I like about it, it has tons of great charger spots, and doubly so for Custom Eliter where you can jump between them. The walls on the pads over the grates are great (if you can establish control early), otherwise the two side sections are great for sniping from several overlooks on each. The right side especially, but the left does well in a pinch. Though I admit, with Custom I have a habit of getting down and roaming the aisles when I know I can jump back.

The zone being too big....actually that one I'll give you. I've done well there on zones (with a splat charger of all things) but I do have to agree with you that that is one huge zone and it's kind of a pain to deal with and much too easy to lose control and rack up penalty time.

DS is probably one of the few weapons I've never used there (never could get comfortable with the squelchers.) But I've done ok there with splat charger, eliter, CEliter, CHydra, bambi, squiff, luna, CBlaster, RBD, sploosh, splash, Carbon, nzap, aero. Seems to be pretty weapon friendly. I haven't used the Gals there, nor TTK, RBP, sloshers, L3/H3, so those might be unfriendly. But c'mon, it's a charger paradise!

Arowanna, no I don't have a recorder (or actually a half truth I have one with HDMI from back in the early Wii/PS3 days but it's so ancient and hasn't even been used in a while I consider it not existing.) But I haven't seen that level of lag since, but I haven't caught Arowanna in rotation again since. No other map showed similar issues, except Piranha which ALWAYS has lag issues. We'll see, next time Arowanna is up.

I may have seen a hacker though in Piranha yesterday. I can't confirm that it didn't just seem that way, unlike yours though. It was a Hero Shot that seemed to have CONSTANT bomb rushes (with tons of stacked dmg up). He'd use one, and a few seconds later have it again, use it, a few seconds later have it again. He had no special related gear (charge up, duration up, etc.) It's possible the rushes themselves charged up most of the way to another round, but that seems like a stretch. His endless burst bomb rushes combined with a second player on his team with a splattershot throwing bomb rushes periodically too got us fully camped with a grand 6.2% in TW.

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer

I think that's just about the only map I haven't been spawncamped in! It's hard to get up there and harder still to hold it. Walleye, Blackbelly, Mackerel, Depot, even Museum and Piranha I've been spawncamped in. Not once on Bridge! I think I see where it could happen though, there have been a few where they're camping down on the bottom area right after our spawn. But the combination of grates the side drop on the left, and the complex ramps on the right make it a little easier to break free than other maps because they're far from the spawn itself, and easier to wreak havoc if you do. But I can understand the hate for the spawncamp maps...I know I do!

Charger spots, nah, thats one of the things I like about it, it has tons of great charger spots, and doubly so for Custom Eliter where you can jump between them. The walls on the pads over the grates are great (if you can establish control early), otherwise the two side sections are great for sniping from several overlooks on each. The right side especially, but the left does well in a pinch. Though I admit, with Custom I have a habit of getting down and roaming the aisles when I know I can jump back.

The zone being too big....actually that one I'll give you. I've done well there on zones (with a splat charger of all things) but I do have to agree with you that that is one huge zone and it's kind of a pain to deal with and much too easy to lose control and rack up penalty time.

DS is probably one of the few weapons I've never used there (never could get comfortable with the squelchers.) But I've done ok there with splat charger, eliter, CEliter, CHydra, bambi, squiff, luna, CBlaster, RBD, sploosh, splash, Carbon, nzap, aero. Seems to be pretty weapon friendly. I haven't used the Gals there, nor TTK, RBP, sloshers, L3/H3, so those might be unfriendly. But c'mon, it's a charger paradise!

Arowanna, no I don't have a recorder (or actually a half truth I have one with HDMI from back in the early Wii/PS3 days but it's so ancient and hasn't even been used in a while I consider it not existing.) But I haven't seen that level of lag since, but I haven't caught Arowanna in rotation again since. No other map showed similar issues, except Piranha which ALWAYS has lag issues. We'll see, next time Arowanna is up.

I may have seen a hacker though in Piranha yesterday. I can't confirm that it didn't just seem that way, unlike yours though. It was a Hero Shot that seemed to have CONSTANT bomb rushes (with tons of stacked dmg up). He'd use one, and a few seconds later have it again, use it, a few seconds later have it again. He had no special related gear (charge up, duration up, etc.) It's possible the rushes themselves charged up most of the way to another round, but that seems like a stretch. His endless burst bomb rushes combined with a second player on his team with a splattershot throwing bomb rushes periodically too got us fully camped with a grand 6.2% in TW.
When I said spawn camped I meant to add splatfest because the only time I'm spawn camped there is definitely splatfest when I'm on a low level team xD

Unfortunately I seriously just cannot see what you see in charger spots xD I like spots in a very high space overlooking the centre area which is why arowana is my bestie xD. I suppose I've found a few OK charger spots.

Big zone my reasons for the same as you except one more thing when you're dominated to the point where the match seems hopeless being able to send and inkstrike often makes the zone lose control destracting your opponents meaning you can push forward you can't do that in hammerhead which is annoying chargers are the best for covering that zone, but for me that means going ground level face to face with tantataeks and carbon rollers which never ends happily

My mains for turf are definitely.
Nzap89
Aerospray RG
Dynamo roller (gold)
Heavy splatling
Octobrush
E-litre 3k
Octobrush nouvea
Sploosh o matic
Splash o matic

My mains for rank are
Kraken splat roller
Luna blaster
Kelp splatterscope
Aerospray RG
Octobrush
Slosher
52 Gal

Award

When I said spawn camped I meant to add splatfest because the only time I'm spawn camped there is definitely splatfest when I'm on a low level team xD

Unfortunately I seriously just cannot see what you see in charger spots xD I like spots in a very high space overlooking the centre area which is why arowana is my bestie xD. I suppose I've found a few OK charger spots.

Big zone my reasons for the same as you except one more thing when you're dominated to the point where the match seems hopeless being able to send and inkstrike often makes the zone lose control destracting your opponents meaning you can push forward you can't do that in hammerhead which is annoying chargers are the best for covering that zone, but for me that means going ground level face to face with tantataeks and carbon rollers which never ends happily

My mains for turf are definitely.
Nzap89
Aerospray RG
Dynamo roller (gold)
Heavy splatling
Octobrush
E-litre 3k
Octobrush nouvea
Sploosh o matic
Splash o matic

My mains for rank are
Kraken splat roller
Luna blaster
Kelp splatterscope
Aerospray RG
Octobrush
Slosher
52 Gal
LOL, yeah, spawncamps and Splatfest go together like peanut butter and asparagus. :p But seriously, almost any other map ends in more frequent spawncamps in TW (outside Splatfests horrible teams) than Hammerdhead. Even Arowanna! But Port, Warehouse, Skatepark are still the trifecto of spawncamp nightmares. I've already seen a few effective camps in Ancho-V, though the path to the right does make it a lot easier to get out of, for what seems like the handful of people that have found it yet! Too many don't know it's there, and the spawncamps result mostly from that.

The key to charger spots in Hammerhead, for me, is specifically that they're inverse to normal charger spots. They're not up high, they're down low (or modestly elevated to the sides. It's a great map for chargers that like to roam around and improvise spots. The pillar walls on the upper center are my first choice of course, and sometimes I can hold them the whole (TW) match. But if that position falls or draws too much attention I consider it abandoned and generally don't go back. The other key areas are the whole suite of ledges & ramps on the right side where you get a good view of the upper catwalk and inside the first two "cubilcles" up there, as well as around the pillar area on the bottom. The upper left is a good improvised view, and that 45 degree beam that goes to the little square pad on the left is good too. But much of the time, depending on where control is, I'll roam around the bottom floor. You can pressure on the bottom and get some hits, but you can shoot up through the catwalks too. Nobody ever looks DOWN for snipers. ;) That's the map that actually taught me to love Custom E-liter. The beacons let me safely roam anywhere below and get back to my perches when I need them :) It's one of the few maps that works well with two chargers on the team. One, especially the weaker one can take the upper pillar and wave the Laser of Doom around, intimidating foes, and the other can pick them off from every odd corner around the map, never the same place twice! Hard to top Arowanna for sheer advantageous sniper perches though, though I often find not enough to do there if the team is good at making a press. My role in TW is usually confined to catching breakaways that sneak past mid toward our base before it snowballs. I'll admit that style of sniping OFF the perch is its own playstyle, and I'd also say it tends to play better without a scope. It's also fun when you have an enemy charger doing the same thing....you both end up 1v1'ing each other because you can never take your eyes off the other so both snipers are busy with their own metagame and both are removed from the match. Arowanna is like that as well, actually.

Zones, I didn't take eliter and snipe from on high. Carbon is one of my mains, but strangely that's not what I've used in Hammerhead - I went with something decidedly not one of my true mains (more of a secondary) the splat charger. I treat it like Port Mackerel. The rapid 2-shot with a longer range than squiffer is handy for defensive play to stalk the halls around the zone, and the splat bombs keep endless pressure on the One Zone to Rule Them All. There's lots of cover to duck and evade, so the mobilty of something other than eliter is handy.

Arowanna might be my favorite Custom Hydra map now though, even over eliter. It now has two of my favorite Custom Hydra moments. I was up in the right hand hallway and enemies were of course storming up the ramp, and foolishly three of them (not scrubs either) decided to bum rush the Hydra that was hiding behind the wall, all at once. That had to be the fastest triple-splat I've ever had. :D The second was a charger that worked his way up there while I had a loaded hydra charge behind the wall, he had a loaded charger charge in front of the wall, and we were waiting each other out for 20 seconds before I realized I had a charged bubbler....;)

Your list of mains looks a lot like mine, at least in length. I've seriously tried dialing down my mains and I think I've got the list under control (but the secondary list is huge!) For me (for all modes) it's:

E-Liter 3k (sometimes scope)
Custom E-Liter 3k (sometimes scope)
Carbon Roller
Custom Hydra (I've learned to love this one fast after HATING the original)
Aerospray MG
Luna Blaster

Secondaries on the other hand:
Nearly everything. L3 Noz, Rapid Blaster Pro Deco, Range Blaster, Splattershot, TTK/Octoshot, Sploosh, Splash, Splattershot Pro, Bamboozlers, Squiffer, Splat charger.

Pretty much the only things I can't get into are Squelchers and sloshers. For some reason neither of those feel right to me. Trislosher is fun from time to time though! Octobrush would be a main were it not so button-mashy. It's so fun to play, but not fun to actually use. And the Gals I run hot and cold. I tend to dismiss them but then have fun when I do pick them up.

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
LOL, yeah, spawncamps and Splatfest go together like peanut butter and asparagus. :p But seriously, almost any other map ends in more frequent spawncamps in TW (outside Splatfests horrible teams) than Hammerdhead. Even Arowanna! But Port, Warehouse, Skatepark are still the trifecto of spawncamp nightmares. I've already seen a few effective camps in Ancho-V, though the path to the right does make it a lot easier to get out of, for what seems like the handful of people that have found it yet! Too many don't know it's there, and the spawncamps result mostly from that.

The key to charger spots in Hammerhead, for me, is specifically that they're inverse to normal charger spots. They're not up high, they're down low (or modestly elevated to the sides. It's a great map for chargers that like to roam around and improvise spots. The pillar walls on the upper center are my first choice of course, and sometimes I can hold them the whole (TW) match. But if that position falls or draws too much attention I consider it abandoned and generally don't go back. The other key areas are the whole suite of ledges & ramps on the right side where you get a good view of the upper catwalk and inside the first two "cubilcles" up there, as well as around the pillar area on the bottom. The upper left is a good improvised view, and that 45 degree beam that goes to the little square pad on the left is good too. But much of the time, depending on where control is, I'll roam around the bottom floor. You can pressure on the bottom and get some hits, but you can shoot up through the catwalks too. Nobody ever looks DOWN for snipers. ;) That's the map that actually taught me to love Custom E-liter. The beacons let me safely roam anywhere below and get back to my perches when I need them :) It's one of the few maps that works well with two chargers on the team. One, especially the weaker one can take the upper pillar and wave the Laser of Doom around, intimidating foes, and the other can pick them off from every odd corner around the map, never the same place twice! Hard to top Arowanna for sheer advantageous sniper perches though, though I often find not enough to do there if the team is good at making a press. My role in TW is usually confined to catching breakaways that sneak past mid toward our base before it snowballs. I'll admit that style of sniping OFF the perch is its own playstyle, and I'd also say it tends to play better without a scope. It's also fun when you have an enemy charger doing the same thing....you both end up 1v1'ing each other because you can never take your eyes off the other so both snipers are busy with their own metagame and both are removed from the match. Arowanna is like that as well, actually.

Zones, I didn't take eliter and snipe from on high. Carbon is one of my mains, but strangely that's not what I've used in Hammerhead - I went with something decidedly not one of my true mains (more of a secondary) the splat charger. I treat it like Port Mackerel. The rapid 2-shot with a longer range than squiffer is handy for defensive play to stalk the halls around the zone, and the splat bombs keep endless pressure on the One Zone to Rule Them All. There's lots of cover to duck and evade, so the mobilty of something other than eliter is handy.

Arowanna might be my favorite Custom Hydra map now though, even over eliter. It now has two of my favorite Custom Hydra moments. I was up in the right hand hallway and enemies were of course storming up the ramp, and foolishly three of them (not scrubs either) decided to bum rush the Hydra that was hiding behind the wall, all at once. That had to be the fastest triple-splat I've ever had. :D The second was a charger that worked his way up there while I had a loaded hydra charge behind the wall, he had a loaded charger charge in front of the wall, and we were waiting each other out for 20 seconds before I realized I had a charged bubbler....;)

Your list of mains looks a lot like mine, at least in length. I've seriously tried dialing down my mains and I think I've got the list under control (but the secondary list is huge!) For me (for all modes) it's:

E-Liter 3k (sometimes scope)
Custom E-Liter 3k (sometimes scope)
Carbon Roller
Custom Hydra (I've learned to love this one fast after HATING the original)
Aerospray MG
Luna Blaster

Secondaries on the other hand:
Nearly everything. L3 Noz, Rapid Blaster Pro Deco, Range Blaster, Splattershot, TTK/Octoshot, Sploosh, Splash, Splattershot Pro, Bamboozlers, Squiffer, Splat charger.

Pretty much the only things I can't get into are Squelchers and sloshers. For some reason neither of those feel right to me. Trislosher is fun from time to time though! Octobrush would be a main were it not so button-mashy. It's so fun to play, but not fun to actually use. And the Gals I run hot and cold. I tend to dismiss them but then have fun when I do pick them up.
That's a lot of writing xD

Yes the pa the on the right has got me out of so many situations and the inkable wall there is the MOST INCREDIBLE CHARGER SPOT due to this I'm never knocked out in rainmaker for ancho

Yes our main and seconds list are very similar.

Do you think Nintendo are going to surprise us with ONE last update on Friday maybe

Octoling?

Award

That's a lot of writing xD

Yes the pa the on the right has got me out of so many situations and the inkable wall there is the MOST INCREDIBLE CHARGER SPOT due to this I'm never knocked out in rainmaker for ancho

Yes our main and seconds list are very similar.

Do you think Nintendo are going to surprise us with ONE last update on Friday maybe

Octoling?
LOL, you should see a few of the other threads I've been writing in for "long writing" ;)

You know, I don't think it's the octolings, I know everyone wants that and it's in the data, but I just don't see it. Too big, too messy, too many potential issues they don't need. Not going to happen. BUT I do think there's a fair chance of there being SOME new rule change or difference to keep us interested. They said something about January being the end of weapons, maps, and updates that include rules changes and modes. So far we ended maps and weapons. But no rules changes or modes, and that's an odd thing for them to have mentioned if they didn't have something planned.

I'm not getting my hopes up TOO much, but I wouldn't rule out some sort of new mode or system in the game!

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
LOL, you should see a few of the other threads I've been writing in for "long writing" ;)

You know, I don't think it's the octolings, I know everyone wants that and it's in the data, but I just don't see it. Too big, too messy, too many potential issues they don't need. Not going to happen. BUT I do think there's a fair chance of there being SOME new rule change or difference to keep us interested. They said something about January being the end of weapons, maps, and updates that include rules changes and modes. So far we ended maps and weapons. But no rules changes or modes, and that's an odd thing for them to have mentioned if they didn't have something planned.

I'm not getting my hopes up TOO much, but I wouldn't rule out some sort of new mode or system in the game!
True but game modes take ALOT of work rainmaker was confirmed back when it was released but was only real eased shortly after 2.0.0 plus the more maps the harder and longer they take positioning the whatever it is and timers distance stuff like that

A new matchmaking wouldn't be surpriisng

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I've been playing since Christmas and I've seen every level in rotation except Arowana mall. Looking through these posts makes it sound like it was a lousy stage...
Arowana Mall is divisive, but every stage has its supporters. Me, I don't mind it much. It's far from my favorites, but personally, it's not nearly as irritating as Port Mackerel or Blackbelly Skatepark.

Kelp Dome is also pretty bad (specifically Turf Wars and Splat Zones) charger stage, but it's still doable for Rainmaker and Tower Control since there are a lot of open areas and grates for someone to snipe through. I still think UU is far worse because it's literally impossible to get a clear shot on someone. The squiffers are really the only exception to this since none of the anti-sniper obstacles matter too much since you need to get up and close to the opponent in the first place.
The Bamboozlers too, as it's basically a faster but less powerful Squiffer. I've seen some monstrous Bamboozler usage in Urchin Underpass.

You know, I don't think I've ever played Mackarel SZ. Probably because I avoid Mackarel ;) I'll have to give it a try, SZ is my favorite ranked mode. TC was awful though. I don't think I've played RM there either.
Port Mackerel is my least favorite Splat Zones stage because the Splat Zones are very far away from each other. They're both relatively close to their spawn points, which means it's very easy to defend your team's closer one but very difficult to capture the further one to start the countdown. As a result, matches on Port Mackerel Splat Zones are slow-paced.
\

I have not only been spawn-camped on Hammerhead Bridge, my team's done the spawn-camping too. Out of principle, I never actively participate in spawn camps, though I won't stop my teammates from doing so.

I have been spawn-camped at least once in every stage in the game or at least reduced to less than 10% inked by the end of the match, including Ancho-V Games. The stage where spawn-camping is the rarest for me in Turf Wars is Saltspray Rig; I seldom can't find a way out, though it's no guarantee I won't get stalked and splatted. Pacifist teams don't really fare well against suppression teams.

Award

True but game modes take ALOT of work rainmaker was confirmed back when it was released but was only real eased shortly after 2.0.0 plus the more maps the harder and longer they take positioning the whatever it is and timers distance stuff like that

A new matchmaking wouldn't be surpriisng
If there's a new mode, it's one that's been in the design for a long time and just not "unlocked" yet. Or it's possible the "new mode" could be adding TW to ranked (or ranked modes to unranked) which I'd actually really appreciate if they did it. I love TW most and it stinks it can't be played ranked, and it stinks that ranked modes can't be played outside ranked.

Octolings would actually be more complicated than it sounds. EVERY piece of clothing would have to be play tested on every map, otherwise there could end up with clipping/visibility issues or game breaking defects. It's actually easier to change the gameplay systems without affecting existing ones than it is to actually change player models. IMO the real intent of Octolings is for a team v team mode possibly with more than 4v4 players, or possible an asymmetrical "bomb diffusion" type game mode that either didn't make it into Splatoon 1, or was never intended for Splatoon 1. )

I'll be shocked if there's not ONE big change to rules, or matchmaking, or game modes, or something this week, The fact the devs mentioned "features, modes, rule changes" for the January deadline and we haven't seen them yet can't go ignored. And the fact that they didn't send the game out with a bang after Ancho-V seems very Nintendo. And let's also keep in mind the big concert event in Japan on Saturday with digital Callie & Marie dancing for the "1M+ copies party". There could be something then. It's not like nintendo to not have some kind of big closer, even without Sakurai's rockstar releases that Smash has.

IMO I think the trajectory of Splatoon got kind of short changed with the death of Iwata. It was his pet project and the one he built a team to come up with something radically different and it paid in spades. He DID get to see it begin to take off, but I do think the long term support for the game would be different (and include paid DLC) had still been around, or at least hadn't died almost immediately after it's launch. The investor's meeting a week or two before he died he commented how grateful he was for Splatoon's success. I imagine seeing where that success was going (he said so many times that it takes that "one piece of software to turn a system around" and he was right. He got to see it start, but not see it really pay off. I imagine we'd have octoling paid DLC now were he still here.

I'm hoping they do have SOMETHING though. Not because Splatoon NEEDS it but because it DESERVES it!

Award

Arowana Mall is divisive, but every stage has its supporters. Me, I don't mind it much. It's far from my favorites, but personally, it's not nearly as irritating as Port Mackerel or Blackbelly Skatepark.
Don't forget Warehouse and sometimes Depot! Skatepark I still dont' know. Sometimes I loathe it, sometimes I like it. Spawncamps are common there and I can't figure out why since it doesn't have the same boxing n that warehouse and Port.

Port Mackerel is my least favorite Splat Zones stage because the Splat Zones are very far away from each other. They're both relatively close to their spawn points, which means it's very easy to defend your team's closer one but very difficult to capture the further one to start the countdown. As a result, matches on Port Mackerel Splat Zones are slow-paced.
Yuck!

I have been spawn-camped at least once in every stage in the game or at least reduced to less than 10% inked by the end of the match, including Ancho-V Games. The stage where spawn-camping is the rarest for me in Turf Wars is Saltspray Rig; I seldom can't find a way out, though it's no guarantee I won't get stalked and splatted. Pacifist teams don't really fare well against suppression teams.
Yeah, me too! But some maps including Hammerhead, spawncamps are rare. Other maps like warehouse, port, and skatepark they're like 50% of matches.

I don't participate in the camp directly either, though I also won't let escapees enter our base area either ;) Yesterday I played Eliter on moray, and my team shot straight up the ramp and camped the enemy. I just sat on the perch watching the lasers and fireworks up on the other tower, watched enemy squids jump off the side of the building to their doom. It was kind of sad. I finsished 0/0 200p. :D

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I don't mind Walleye Warehouse or Bluefin Depot too much. Walleye Warehouse gets a lot of spawn camps, but I've learned how to detect one happening and I'll try to stop whoever's attempting one. For Bluefin Depot, that stage seems to require more cooperation than most other stages, and spawn-camping only happens when there's a lack of focus (like, for instance, everyone choosing the same side to travel down to). When I'm at Bluefin Depot, I'll see what routs my teammates take andpick the least popular ones. I've stopped a few potential spawn-camps simply by seeing all of my teammates pick one side and picking the other.

Award

I don't mind Walleye Warehouse or Bluefin Depot too much. Walleye Warehouse gets a lot of spawn camps, but I've learned how to detect one happening and I'll try to stop whoever's attempting one. For Bluefin Depot, that stage seems to require more cooperation than most other stages, and spawn-camping only happens when there's a lack of focus (like, for instance, everyone choosing the same side to travel down to). When I'm at Bluefin Depot, I'll see what routs my teammates take andpick the least popular ones. I've stopped a few potential spawn-camps simply by seeing all of my teammates pick one side and picking the other.
The problem with maps like Arowanna, Mackerel, etc, with spawncamps is they give your enemy access to your spawn, and from there all your possible escape routes. So when you get a slick camping enemy, they can take position along not your spawn but on your escape routes from spawn. particularly the ONE or two side paths while you know mid is overwhelmed. So if you go out mid, you run to the meat grinder. If you go to the narrow sides, the camper has the advantage to pop out from any small blotch of ink and oneshot you. Like the slimy little carbon roller that knew I was sniping from the left side of mall. he'd just camp at the top of the ledge on the left side. If you shoot up there, he just takes the damage and moves to the ONE blotch that still has his ink. Waits there. And when you come by to get to the left side, WHAM. Then he'll reset. He or a team mate then moves to the right side to cut you off there too. Same with warehouse. I'd love to figure out a way to get them but they're even more annoying than the aggressors that storm the base in 15-20 seconds. At least you KNOW they're there even if you're not good at hitting them.

Depot - Yeah, I'll choose the least traveled path in most maps. But that's also dangerous. But it's weapon dependent. With eliter/hydra I'll lock down one side myself from our side. And I can keep that at bay alone the entire match if needed. All I need is the other THREE people on my team to not let me get flanked from the OTHER side of the map. And over and over they fail in that. Not because they can't actulaly stop enemies that are superior, but because they do not actually HOLD that side, they push up to the enemy base from that side while some of the enemy is still on my side, and therefore, at a good position to take them out in their own base - and then they have several seconds where I'm the ONLY thing in my base and can flank from the side I'm not watching with ease.

Award

Best redesign ever.
When you realize the enemy's eliter is useless, the tree's seem wonderful. When you realize the trees have made your team's eliter a useless sitting duck, the trees do not seem wonderful. When you ARE that eliter, you vow to stop playing rotations featuring that map. :p

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
When you realize the enemy's eliter is useless, the tree's seem wonderful. When you realize the trees have made your team's eliter a useless sitting duck, the trees do not seem wonderful. When you ARE that eliter, you vow to stop playing rotations featuring that map. :p
Well, I am unlucky enough that E-liters on my team usually suck in any map, so the trees don't make much of a difference :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom