• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is Arowana Mall still in rotation?

Kausus

Inkling
NNID
Kausus
Switch Friend Code
SW-3782-1311-5237
Were you playing Splatfest near the end of the run? If so I think it was you I had either in one of the teams, or in the plaza with a Miivere post after!
I don't think so, I stopped playing somewhere around 5 or 6pm EST. My inkling/Miiverse name is the same as my name here.

yoyo

Inkling
I was just thinking about this today. I LOVE Mall and haven't seen it in rotation in a really long time. I was crossing my fingers for it to appear in the rotation this morning, but Triggerfish came up ... AGAIN. >.>

I miss my Mally-poo. I was just starting to get good on that stage, too.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
I've been playing since Christmas and I've seen every level in rotation except Arowana mall. Looking through these posts makes it sound like it was a lousy stage...
Nah, it wasn't terrible. Definitely not the best stage, but I loved using snipers on it.

yoyo

Inkling
Nah, it wasn't terrible. Definitely not the best stage, but I loved using snipers on it.
Yes, that stage is the snipers' dream.

Basically, most of the action takes place in the very middle; it's a narrow stage, with lots of hills, and there's two platforms on either side of the center for a sniper from each team to stand on, so when there's 4 snipers it can get really hectic in the middle, lol. I think it's lots of fun.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
Thoroughly convinced that Urchin Underpass is by far the worst sniper stage.
I really dislike playing on UU, but for me the worst stage for Chargers is Kelp Dome. The center is such a Blaster playground, and it always feels like any progress I make inking turf is undone easily.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
I really dislike playing on UU, but for me the worst stage for Chargers is Kelp Dome. The center is such a Blaster playground, and it always feels like any progress I make inking turf is undone easily.
Kelp Dome is also pretty bad (specifically Turf Wars and Splat Zones) charger stage, but it's still doable for Rainmaker and Tower Control since there are a lot of open areas and grates for someone to snipe through. I still think UU is far worse because it's literally impossible to get a clear shot on someone. The squiffers are really the only exception to this since none of the anti-sniper obstacles matter too much since you need to get up and close to the opponent in the first place.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I don't think so, I stopped playing somewhere around 5 or 6pm EST. My inkling/Miiverse name is the same as my name here.
Did you make any Miiverse posts? Either way, I'm pretty sure you were in my Plaza. Congrats for being the first person from the boards I've actually seen in-game! :)

Everyone always says how bad Dome is for chargers, but I still personally like it more than UU, Flounder, and increasingly, Mackarel. (I **** hate Mackarel!) The key for dome with a charger is similar to with skatepark. The center tower is NOT for snipers! Shoot from the outside in, not the inside out (unless your team has fully controlled the tower and has left no one to defend it, then you might have a chance holding it alone.)

Dome is better, IMO for eliter than splatterscope (which has to maneuver more on the ground, BUT the splat bombs are handy.) Mackarel is the other way around. No weapon is good there. But blasters do well, and splatterscope can do well thanks to its grenades (any given trip to mackarel with splat charger I get 5-6 splats from splat bombs, and like 2 from the main gun. Eliter...can do ok, or have nothing at all to do, or not do ok at all depending on how your opponents re fighting. )

Kelp Dome is also pretty bad (specifically Turf Wars and Splat Zones) charger stage, but it's still doable for Rainmaker and Tower Control since there are a lot of open areas and grates for someone to snipe through. I still think UU is far worse because it's literally impossible to get a clear shot on someone. The squiffers are really the only exception to this since none of the anti-sniper obstacles matter too much since you need to get up and close to the opponent in the first place.
Yeah, and it's all the trees fault. The trouble with UU is the MAIN sniping areas are the tiny doorway at the top that overlooks the "back end" of the battleground, the side halls that are too close to the action for a sniper to shoot reliably (it's hard to shoot a moving target, it's harder to shoot a moving target traveling perpendicularly at very close range while also being defensive if they try to scale the wall, and worse, most of the action happens behind the walls of the bases so you can't see them at all! The trees are what closes in mid and prevents chargers from actually pressuring. I'm really afraid of what's going to happen to mall. If they kill it as a charger stage with trees, what good is it?

Aeron

Inkling
NNID
angieyo
Yeah I'm not a big fan of Mackerel. Idk there just aren't a lot of places to go in that stage, I guess? I just know that I always have a hard time there.

I kinda like Kelp Dome, though. Those mesh walkways though...

Award

Yeah I'm not a big fan of Mackerel. Idk there just aren't a lot of places to go in that stage, I guess? I just know that I always have a hard time there.

I kinda like Kelp Dome, though. Those mesh walkways though...

Mackarel's problem is that the whole thing is gridded. So it's either straight lines of sight for long range straight line weapons, but for eliters, they charge to slow, so the opponent can duck sideways and totally out of view and/or flank. All splatlings are too slow, and not responsive enough (mini has a chance), but then the enemy camps in the side alleys between crates where only splat bombs and blasters can touch them so when you try to push, you just get splatted. And there's no place where chargers can do a lot of pressuring. It's just not forgiving for all but a few weapons, and cheap strategies are too easy to dominate with. And because of the gridding with only 3 open area,s whichever team pressures into the enemy's "hallways" first pretty much secures the whole round yielding absolute spawncamps with no escape. And on the one chance you get to escape, guaranteed, one of those stupid forklifts will suffocate your one clean shot or easy getaway. It's a horrible map that leads only to shutouts and seldom an intense match.

Many said the same about Mall, but it's different. Mall has that one straight path all the way down with little obsctruction, but the 3 view blockers, and the 2 side halls. The hall + base are too easy to camp, but if it doesn't get camped, there's lots of routes to escape. Mall has a lot more turnarounds than mackarel - the line can be pushed since there's one primary route. Mackarel, if you push down one route, they can flank you on the 2 others if they have the ink advantage - they can swim past you completely obscured by crates while you have to ink your way out so you never know where they are and never can evade since you're funneled into single file cattle chutes. Warehouse is like an unholy union of Mall's straight line & side hall + Mackarel's obstructing crate grid.

Dome, Mall, and Bridge are the ones with the "use the walkways at your own risk" routes. They get in the way, but they lead to interesting 2-story battles, too :) I used to hate Dome, but I've grown to like it. Trouble with it is newer players are really confused by it. They seem to go in circles, aimlessly, and don't understand mid at all. Being round like that with mid behind a wall isn't very intuitive until you understand the game a lot more. Straight line maps are easier to understand.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
Mackarel's problem is that the whole thing is gridded. So it's either straight lines of sight for long range straight line weapons, but for eliters, they charge to slow, so the opponent can duck sideways and totally out of view and/or flank. All splatlings are too slow, and not responsive enough (mini has a chance), but then the enemy camps in the side alleys between crates where only splat bombs and blasters can touch them so when you try to push, you just get splatted. And there's no place where chargers can do a lot of pressuring. It's just not forgiving for all but a few weapons, and cheap strategies are too easy to dominate with. And because of the gridding with only 3 open area,s whichever team pressures into the enemy's "hallways" first pretty much secures the whole round yielding absolute spawncamps with no escape. And on the one chance you get to escape, guaranteed, one of those stupid forklifts will suffocate your one clean shot or easy getaway. It's a horrible map that leads only to shutouts and seldom an intense match.
Are we just talking about TW? Because I find Port Mackerel really fun in Splat Zones. It's one of the few maps where I feel like every weapon has a chance just because of how straightforward it is. Snipers cover pathways and discourage movement, Heavy Splatling can use Inkwalls, Mini Splatling + Suction Bombs cover enough ground and range to decrease the chance of flanks, Blasters can shoot behind walls, brushes and rollers can rush down and splat, dynamo can spread as always, the gal weapons will be gal weapons, the squelchers have enough range to threaten any movement that isn't a sniper, tentatek has inkzooka, Splattershot Jr. and Tri-Slosher have bubbler, so on and so forth.

Award

Are we just talking about TW? Because I find Port Mackerel really fun in Splat Zones. It's one of the few maps where I feel like every weapon has a chance just because of how straightforward it is. Snipers cover pathways and discourage movement, Heavy Splatling can use Inkwalls, Mini Splatling + Suction Bombs cover enough ground and range to decrease the chance of flanks, Blasters can shoot behind walls, brushes and rollers can rush down and splat, dynamo can spread as always, the gal weapons will be gal weapons, the squelchers have enough range to threaten any movement that isn't a sniper, tentatek has inkzooka, Splattershot Jr. and Tri-Slosher have bubbler, so on and so forth.
You know, I don't think I've ever played Mackarel SZ. Probably because I avoid Mackarel ;) I'll have to give it a try, SZ is my favorite ranked mode. TC was awful though. I don't think I've played RM there either.

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
WHY PROBABLY AROWANA IS OFF THE ROTATION
I can't be bothered to read all posts made so maybe someone has already said this but I believe I know WHY arowana is no longer in rotation
Nintendo finally caught up to our glitch performing and recently in December we've had 11 rotations with arowana rainmaker on. In the last 50-0 seconds of a match the winning team has been grabbing the rainmaker and performing the tree glitch making it IMPOSSIBLE for the other team to make a comeback.

Nintendo has officially corrected this glitch but after some decoding it turned out they used an OLD model of arowana to fix the glitch practically this changed nothing as the map has never been rearranged like urchin was all that they had to do was reenter the "the no rainmaker zone" on the right slip lane of your and the opponents base. However while correcting the palm tree glitch they forgot to also correct another.

Like I said they corrected the palm tree glitch in the latest update and we haven't seen arowana since, no. I also said the used THE OLD MODEL presumably from the 2.0.0 update or from before. So can anybody remember any glitches that were not patched until after 2.0.0?

The ledge glitch, the ledge glitch was only patched in 2.2.0 meaning that if Nintendo used a model from before (2.0.0 and before possibly 2.1.0) the ledge glitch is now VALID again and has been unpatched accidentally. I've seen an unpatched version on YouTube and I've even today tried it and it does work.

If you don't know what the ledge glitch is ill tell you. In the centre there is a square. You have 1 alleyway on either side of the square one leading to your base the other to the opponents if you go on either one at the end there's a little ledge with a barrier stopping you from progressing upwards now you can if you get the angle right physically slip through the barriers straight to the other teams base

There will be videos further down.

Currently this glitch is being REPATCHED and Nintendo presumably is going through the files trying to patch anything else they forgot about such as the glitch where two rainmakers appear or something

WE MAY ALSO HAVE FOUND A NEW PALM TREE GLITCH BUT SHHHH

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
Well it looks like Arowana Mall is finally coming back after the patch tomorrow. Hopefully they don't just end up adding even more glitches and remove it again. :P

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
I'm actually starting to miss the map. Hopefully they run it right after the patch since it's been gone so long.

Kausus

Inkling
NNID
Kausus
Switch Friend Code
SW-3782-1311-5237
Did you make any Miiverse posts? Either way, I'm pretty sure you were in my Plaza. Congrats for being the first person from the boards I've actually seen in-game! :)
I made a post lamenting my poor performance in the fest, but aside from that, I didn't make any Splatfest posts on Miiverse. It's kinda cool that I popped up in your Plaza, if that's the case though!

Award

It's a joy to get to play it again!! I didn't get spawncamped once, though I lost all but one TW battle. And unfortunately it was just rooms full of eliters vs eliters. But it was nice all the same.

Did anyone notice any odder than usual lag in this Arowanna rotation though? I didn't notice it in Warehouse, it was just Arowanna where sniper shots would simply NOT hit when they should, and a few times shots hit, made the hit sound and the enemy showed the "covered in ink" animation, but they didn't die (and weren't wearing armor up.) I thought that was pretty weird since I didn't have that issue on any other map tonight. It could also be a 2.5 thing , but warehouse seemed ok.

Njok

Bouncer
Everyone always says how bad Dome is for chargers, but I still personally like it more than UU, Flounder, and increasingly, Mackarel. (I **** hate Mackarel!) The key for dome with a charger is similar to with skatepark. The center tower is NOT for snipers! Shoot from the outside in, not the inside out (unless your team has fully controlled the tower and has left no one to defend it, then you might have a chance holding it alone.)

Dome is better, IMO for eliter than splatterscope (which has to maneuver more on the ground, BUT the splat bombs are handy.) Mackarel is the other way around. No weapon is good there. But blasters do well, and splatterscope can do well thanks to its grenades (any given trip to mackarel with splat charger I get 5-6 splats from splat bombs, and like 2 from the main gun. Eliter...can do ok, or have nothing at all to do, or not do ok at all depending on how your opponents re fighting. )
I can see your point with the pillar / centre of kelp, but how is this similar to skatepark? Once you establish map control, the pillar is exactly where you should go. On kelp it's a lot harder to keep it, but the same rule still applies.

Definitely don't agree that e liter > splatterscope on kelp dome either. There aren't many places where you get to abuse the extra range and the charging speed is gonna hurt you a lot with the 5 million ways to approach. For port mackerel, both bring something very good. E liter can shoot the lanes and kelp splatterscope has wails.

Finally if you're killing more with splat bombs than with the actual charger, you're likely not positioning yourself correctly.

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
It's a joy to get to play it again!! I didn't get spawncamped once, though I lost all but one TW battle. And unfortunately it was just rooms full of eliters vs eliters. But it was nice all the same.

Did anyone notice any odder than usual lag in this Arowanna rotation though? I didn't notice it in Warehouse, it was just Arowanna where sniper shots would simply NOT hit when they should, and a few times shots hit, made the hit sound and the enemy showed the "covered in ink" animation, but they didn't die (and weren't wearing armor up.) I thought that was pretty weird since I didn't have that issue on any other map tonight. It could also be a 2.5 thing , but warehouse seemed ok.
I'm not sure what you mean
Do you mean like the snipers hit people when they shouldn't have and that the person they hit got covered in ink but didn't die.

For the first 3 matches I got 30 seconds(ish) into the match and the annoying connections unstable thing popped up before it did that though none of my ink was being layer on the floor but it wasn't my connections because ALL 3 times me and 1 other person on my team would be alive so it would be 2 vs 0 I didn't argue but then connections were fine but I did see a hacker although I didn't get his name he was on the other team and kept super jumping to OUR beakons everyone got suspicious so we payed beakons in our base as a trap and he fell for it he jumped INTO our base but because of the barriers he couldn't get out he tried super jumping but like the palm tree glitch if you super jump you just get stuck motionless we didn't kill him so he was stuck it served him/her right. XD the barriers didn't stop him going into our spawn as when super jumping your invincible like a kraken. Like when you super jump through an inkstrike

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
I can see your point with the pillar / centre of kelp, but how is this similar to skatepark? Once you establish map control, the pillar is exactly where you should go. On kelp it's a lot harder to keep it, but the same rule still applies.

Definitely don't agree that e liter > splatterscope on kelp dome either. There aren't many places where you get to abuse the extra range and the charging speed is gonna hurt you a lot with the 5 million ways to approach. For port mackerel, both bring something very good. E liter can shoot the lanes and kelp splatterscope has wails.

Finally if you're killing more with splat bombs than with the actual charger, you're likely not positioning yourself correctly.
Personally for me my best charger map is arowana so many spots that no one can get you in
Kelp dome is my second best I either stand in the area where the pomposity team sneak in or on the pillar I'm really good at that tbh black belly it's a hard one for me I even found an exploit in it which I haven't seen anyone else do and it's great to pull of with a splattershot/aero spray. Chargers for me are good my kelp splatterscope I use it on the platform in the right alleyway of your base and suddenly when you have full control I go to the big tower this stops them possessing the tower unless they sneak around and get me from behind

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom