• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Mahi Mahi Resort

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I got to say, it seems to work pretty well for the most part, although Bubblers and Krakens are indeed a bad choice (I almost pushed one off the edge, but their special ended too soon. He/She still fell in the water, though). I've already found a couple of interesting vantage points, although none is 100% safe (but they all have some sort of escape route). Also, I think this was the first time that I've seen a rushing Splat Charger since the first Global Testfire o_O

PS: Remember kids and squids: do not try to jump across a gap if there's someone shooting at you from the other side, especially if they have a fully charged Heavy Splatling ;)

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
Haven't played too many rounds here yet but I've won every single ranked match. Splat zones, for those wondering. And I credit it to this wonderful Sprinkler location:

A Sprinkler here can take the entire zone by itself. Of course you can help it along by shooting the ground as well, but left to its own devices it can capture it for you in about 10-15 seconds depending on how the ink blobs fall.

But the best part is that if you place it on the enemy side of the map, then they seem to have limited options to easily get rid of it. A charger on the far platforms behind my Inkling's head could probably reach, and specials are always an option. But other than that, I'm not sure what recourse they have without having to enter the splat zone itself, which seems like a rather vulnerable position to be in.

My tactic was simply to get that Sprinkler in place and try not to die. I still died a few times, but luckily my team was able to keep up a solid presence until I respawned. The only time I noticed it gone without me dying was after a Killer Wail and Inkzooka ripped through the area, so it probably got smashed by one or the other.

So...yeah. The zone is also small enough to get captured by a single Inkstrike, which will probably prove to be quite irritating since that can force an instant penalty timer.

Other, unspecific observations:

You can jump most of the gaps as a kid, although it's a close thing. It's easier as a squid for obvious reasons. Run/Swim Speed Up help in general.

The water level changes "halfway" through the map. In turf war, that's simply 1:30 into the match, easy enough. To help out, there's 10 seconds of chimes and the resort windows flash in order to warn players. In Splat Zones, it's either 2:30 into the map or when one team or the other first reaches 50 points, whichever comes first, and there is no warning before it happens so keep an eye on the timer and clock. In Tower Control, the water level drops as soon as the match begins. Not sure about Rainmaker.

(Also, hi! New to these boards. I guess this is as good a first post as any.)

Last edited:

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
No Specials, E-Liter Only, Mahi Mahi Resort.

This place is so flat, it's great for Chargers.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
ok, mahi mahi resort is probably my new favorite map now. Its so much fun to play on. Once you get the whole layout down its a blast to play on. Its also one of the first maps in a while that actually clicked for me. I always felt like I was in control more often than not, and even helps make my 1v1 encounters easier to grasp thanks to the map's very flat plane design which helps me spatially grasp my surroundings without thinking to much about elevation and such.

I even feel more comfortable with the tenetek splattershot thanks to this mew map. :)

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
Just played a few rounds on this map. While the water level and everything else was certainly interesting in this map, it seems to share one unfortunately common feature with a lot of other maps: It is easy for chargers to camp out on, and it is extremely difficult to take back the game as soon as you lose the middle. (Especially in Splat Zones and Turf War, although I imagine this will be less of a problem in other ranked modes.)

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I found that Dual Squelcher works pretty well on this map because of the range. The Splat Bombs are good for surprising foes and forcing them to where you can mow them down, and the Echolocator is especially great when the Bad Guys have chargers so you can tell where they're going to strike from and what to do about it.

As for the gimmick itself, it's pretty good for changing up tactics in TW. However, I feel that they should've raised the water level back up ninety minutes before the end of a Ranked battle to make things more intense. I'd have loved to see some tactics emerging from that.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The water level changes "halfway" through the map. In turf war, that's simply 1:30 into the match, easy enough. To help out, there's 10 seconds of chimes and the resort windows flash in order to warn players. In ranked, it's either 2:30 into the map or when one team or the other first reaches 50 points, whichever comes first, and there is no warning before it happens so keep an eye on the timer and clock. I'm currently assuming that the equivalent of 50 points in splat zones is 50 distance in tower control and rainmaker, but we'll see about that.
I did hear a horn constantly going off about 10 seconds before the water level decreased in Turf Warso_O

Doof

Inkling
NNID
MonobearTheater
It's a very interesting map, though so far I haven't had any luck with the Sloshing Machine on it :c

As someone mentioned, chargers unfortunately rule this stage unless you sneak up on them through the enemy base (but that's like suicide so). But even so, I still like it a lot! I'm gonna try out my luck with other weapons tho :b

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
It's definitely a different course~

Before I even had the chance to play this map, I saw a lot of posts saying that this map sucked for roller type weapons. As a roller main, I can't say that I agree with them. Yes, rollers are severely disadvantaged on this course due to all the high points that shooters can take us out from but it doesn't suck for rollers. To be quite brutally honest, it only sucks for your roller if you're not good with said roller. It's another difficult course for rollers like Moray Towers is but it's not impossible to do well with a roller.

I used my Carbon Roller a lot tonight and I was often placing first or second on my team. :) You need to know your strength and your weakness when it comes to rollers. Play accordingly and you'll do fine. You will also be needing some platforming skills. :P You'll be jumping a lot and using your stealth a lot.

In my opinion, I think the two weapon classes that have the advantage for this course are chargers and Sloshers. Chargers are good because it's a very open course so they have very little to obstruct their view. Sloshers are good because we can reach high areas with them and take out said chargers. So I think that these two are the best on Mahi-Mahi. I know that out of my four main weapons (Carbon Roller, Slosher Deco, Inkbrush, and Heavy Splatling), I did the best with my Slosher Deco.

I can slosh over walls, around corners, and across the water. Makes for a few fun time on Mahi-Mahi... Especially when someone panics and lands themselves into the water. That one still hasn't gotten old despite how many times its happened tonight haha. :P

I'm still looking for the best spots to stand with my Heavy Splatling. It's a bit hard because of chargers. A charger can easily chase me out off my perch and send me right into danger, so I'm still working on my Heavy Splatling.

The Inkbrush requires a lot of jumping and running from opponents. When I played the course with my Inkbrush, I found myself jumping across the platforms a lot and running from my opponent after throwing out a Sprinkler. There are a lot of fun places to put Sprinklers on this course though that make it a bit tricky for the enemy team to stop. >w<

All in all, I really like the course. It's different from what we're used to and that's what makes the new stage so much fun.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Yikes, another character set to decode. A LOT of text here to look through though.

And I couldn't do much with the Kelp Splat Charger, but then again, I'm terrible with splatting anyone with chargers.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
This map seems more brighter than the rest of the maps, don't get me wrong, Arowana mall look cool and all, Kelp dome has vegetation growing in the "green houses" (perhaps?) but all this water and seeing those jelly fish baking in the sun (Not to mention the few playing with a ball) makes this stage the most aesthetically pleasing to look at...well,in my opinion anyway.

The one thing i avoided when on this map was using Kraken or Bubbler on those small platforms. I'm pretty sure this map will cut down the time spent being chased by krakens if you just hop on a small platform, then shoot the Kraken and watch it drown xD

So this actually might be a map where we'll see less invincibility specials?...Probably not xD

Ahh and Callie and Marie made a quote on last second Inkstrikes!... Ahh, but i can't remember what Marie called them.. It was "ULTIMATE" something or rather. It seemed worth mentioning though since it usually happens every match i play turf wars on.

So, despite having a total 100% loss rate on this map so far, i quite like it xD

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
It's a very interesting map, though so far I haven't had any luck with the Sloshing Machine on it :c

As someone mentioned, chargers unfortunately rule this stage unless you sneak up on them through the enemy base (but that's like suicide so). But even so, I still like it a lot! I'm gonna try out my luck with other weapons tho :b
Sloshing Machine works great on this map. Utilize your bombs more and you should be able to approach snipers better.

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
Not sure I like this map. If you aren't camping on a perch, then you're stuck in the middle which is like a death pit. That is, if you can even make it past the campers who sit at the edge of the water so that you can't jump across.... There are ways around these things, but I can see it becoming frustrating... I had some great matches after I switched weapons, but this map can be a challenge for sure...

Nictendo

Inkling
NNID
vengeance13
Enjoying the new map, but getting hectic lag in it. Especially when the guys decide to do a seeker rush;)

AidanC97

Senior Squid
NNID
aidancalhoun
Mahi Mahi Resort. I am a good turf war-er on the map, but i had one ranked match with it and i would prefer the Turf War mode on it rather then ranked. Rainmaker just seems too hard because your having to jump over water in the first half of the match.

Doxt

Inkling
NNID
DonDion
I like how different the map is. The area is small and movement is hindered with obstacles. I can't think of another map that shares the vibe.

AidanC97

Senior Squid
NNID
aidancalhoun
I like how different the map is. The area is small and movement is hindered with obstacles. I can't think of another map that shares the vibe.
after looking at the map a little closer I have to agree. It's so fun to have more obstacles to avoid (and to hide from your opponents). The water may be an issue but other than that I agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom