• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

March Splatfest: Chicken or Egg first? (NoA+NoE)

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I chose my team based off of logic. In that regard, I agree with @Tsene. My sense of logical interpretation won't allow me to choose chicken, even though the novelty ink color is nice. But I have to say, why so dark, Marina?

darktenpura

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1816-5244-1416
I chose my team based off of logic. In that regard, I agree with @Tsene. My sense of logical interpretation won't allow me to choose chicken, even though the novelty ink color is nice. But I have to say, why so dark, Marina?
Idk why but i found her both dark and naughty, I’d admit I like her personality because of this, which has made her such an interesting character.
Despite the fact that I am more of a Porl person.
They are both cute.
( I ship them. )

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
I'm the only one that chose a side based on taste, am I?

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Why didn't anyone make me realize the Goo Tuber and Custom Goo Tuber were so much fun to play with?! (You know who you two are!!)

Yes, I'm being serious!

You shush, I'm having fun!

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
So uh my splatfest has been going horribly specifically because of disconnects which literally ruined splatfest for me. My first two matches I had disconnects so I lost those which already impacted me just there. Then the next two I got booted from the server but it wasn't the usual yellow letters the connection is unstable, rather just the gray notice that popped up without warning saying something about the server I can't remember. In both of these games we were winning and I just killed someone in the cage on shifty with my E-liter and then I got booted in one of them. So those 4 games were all L's which is bad enough. Then because I was losing so much I got placed in 1800 lobbies whereas I'm usually in 2100 and 2200 lobbies. I was playing with lvl 10s who lost 3v4's somehow and overall just not great people. Got baselocked several times despite my efforts to clear it out. I consistently got more kills and specials than my teammates who probably weren't even at S yet. Then on top of that all the servers are super laggy and I'd get 4 blaster indirects then I kill them the same time they pop an inkjet and kill me somehow. My internet is fine. Idk what's going on maybe it's the fact that all the regions (minus japan) are playing together...

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Yep, I've had my share of network shenanigans too.

Personal disconnects, teammate disconnects, enemy disconnects, turf lag, splat lag, and one instance thus far of my splat not counting at all...

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Haven't had D/C problems. Only timed we got a connection issue was after a match.

But, man did my teamates start turning into utter trash for the latter half of my Splatfest experience. I'm talking matches where I get 6 splats and the combined total of the rest of my team is 2. No wonder the other team is pinning you guys, you can't fight or even think not to run straight into the firing line...

UHHH!!!! I got into Champion tier with an overall 3:2 win loss ratio, the journey from Champion to King ended with a 6:7 overall win lose ratio...

I'd be shocked if the solo win score for this Splatfest is a smaller than 54:46. Guess there's still all the people splatting tomorrow...

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
The ink colors actually look wayyy too similiar in battle and are hard on the eyes. I hope I won't have a hard time with that when the Splatfest starts for EU. I know most of players probably have no issues, my eyes are just a bit weak :D

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
The ink colors actually look wayyy too similiar in battle and are hard on the eyes. I hope I won't have a hard time with that when the Splatfest starts for EU. I know most of players probably have no issues, my eyes are just a bit weak :D
Yeah, I feared this could be a problem for certain people. White and Yellow aren't a great contrast for each other.

I feel like White vs. Brown would've been more sight friendly, or maybe a slighty darker shade of yellow.

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
No you’re right. My first battle of this splatfest I felt it was tough. It’s hard to pick out the enemies amongst the white ink and for some reason the yellow is so vibrant it almost seems to glow against the white which makes the distinction between the two colors and then picking out players pretty weird.

It’s not happening like that on every map though so I think it’s telated to the overall lighting situation or something specific to certain maps.

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
No you’re right. My first battle of this splatfest I felt it was tough. It’s hard to pick out the enemies amongst the white ink and for some reason the yellow is so vibrant it almost seems to glow against the white which makes the distinction between the two colors and then picking out players pretty weird.

It’s not happening like that on every map though so I think it’s telated to the overall lighting situation or something specific to certain maps.
Yeah now that I could play myself it does seem stage/lightning dependant. Some maps I really had to squint to see was there white ink nearby or not.

Well on my first two hours of playtime I've already had 5 or 6 mirror matches on EU. Which is quite a lot considering it's a prime playtime and all. Either I'm in some odd matchmaking loop or team egg might be more popular. Matches themselves so far have been quite even, just two landslides (the other being a win and the other a loss), so it's really fun! I just hope I can fight against chickens more :p

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I've not had a single issue with distinguishing ink colours, they are pretty vivid in my opinion, one has no colour (or white), whilst the other is very clearly less bright and has an actual colour tone to it (Yellow). Everyone's eyes are different, so what may be an issue for one is not an issue for others. Anyway I've been having a pretty good time of this Splatfest so far, got to King 1 match post the first rotation of this 'Fest in Europe. Had one disconnect in the first search, one "unable to connect to one or more devices" and one disconnect in the opening cameras (cost 60 Splatfest Power, thanks Nintendo). This Shifty Station is amazing, one of the best yet, cool mechanic, but is in no way near needed to win. My first match there my team only had our lock down, whilst Egg had the middle and their own, and we won 45.9% to 42.1%, so it was close, but not as much as one would think. I've come to the conclusion that the middle is more of a hindrance than a help, so you ideally want to grab both areas that lock down first, and stay away from the middle when that closes, since being shut in at 40 seconds and having to wait 10 seconds before being able to leave is problematic in a mode like Turf where the last 30 is everything, and being slowly super jumped out (if you use the launchpads) and landing in a spot likely to get camped will cost more turf than you gain by taking mid.

What I found surprising is that you can regularly super jump in and out of the containment zones, which rather renders the launchpads redundant (taking a while to spawn, the slower super jump animation, a bad jump out etc.). I fully expected regular super jumps to be blocked, either making you unable to jump or making the Inkling stop and fall after hitting the wall. What's more is Ink Storm predictably doesn't paint in the containment areas, but Tenta Missiles can get in and paint, so there is slight strategy in that. I've currently played 26 matches against Egg, and won 20 of them. It's very apparent that Egg is miles popular than Chicken, I'm getting instant match-ups as soon as my team is ready to search (much like I did as Team Mayo), I'd have expected Chicken to be slightly more popular than I'm perceiving at the moment just to the novelty of white ink (or more specifically, being in a colour not found in regular play). Apparently I was wrong in that judgement. A shame, because it's a really nice shade of white, and I haven't once thought about it in any rude or inappropriate ways (can't do much about Ketchup/red ink, those will always look like blood), but I did come across a rude/immature individual on my last team that I have reported, and I urge anyone else who sees people using any sort of sexual names/jokes in their name on Team Chicken to report them in the SplatNet 2 App, it's not on in a game young children regularly play.

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
I gatta say im not having much fun this splatfest. I’m losing like every match despite feeling like I’m performing well. And I thought losing whilst playing well would still be fun but no. Idk if it’s my power level (2059-2130ish) that I don’t feel like I belong in or if team chicken is just better. Anyone having similar or opposite results?

It’s making me wanna duck out (no pun intended) of this splatfest altogether.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, I hope picking the wrong answer and being on a team with a name that implies you're a coward was worth it to get your slightly dirty sock-ish, expired milk sort of off-white grey ink for y'all chickens. It's cool to see some headgear in white, but boy would I have been dissapointed if I had picked Chicken.

Anyway, after the middle section closes off, you're really kinda screwed if you're playing as a short-range weapon. And it so happens that my weapon of choice for this fest has mostly been the Dapples so far...
Not my favorite Shifty so far. Fun concept, not so fun execution IMO.
and I urge anyone else who sees people using any sort of sexual names/jokes in their name on Team Chicken to report them in the SplatNet 2 App, it's not on in a game young children regularly play.
I don't really see the harm in making jokes like that tbh. You either are old enough to get the joke name, which means you're already familiar with the concept and most likely joke about such things yourself. Or you're not and thus it doesn't matter either. I never see any players that play in a way that gives me the impression that they're under 10 years old anyway so it's kind of a non-problem.

If someone is using a racial slur or something else hateful for his or her name I'll report them, but I'm not gonna report someone for making a harmful little (though perhaps juvenile) joke.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Okay, now that I've done a few matches not in the late night hours. I can say I'm enjoying myself a ton more. Getting a lot more competent teams/the opposing team isn't as oppressive.

Got a decent win streak. Even got my Power back to the mid 2100s since it dropped to the lower 2000s last night.

Last edited:

Maave

Inkling Commander
Hmm I've been having no problems. Minor lag deaths but nothing bad.

Also the Thunderdome Station is pretty fun

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
I don't really see the harm in making jokes like that tbh. You either are old enough to get the joke name, which means you're already familiar with the concept and most likely joke about such things yourself. Or you're not and thus it doesn't matter either. I never see any players that play in a way that gives me the impression that they're under 10 years old anyway so it's kind of a non-problem.

If someone is using a racial slur or something else hateful for his or her name I'll report them, but I'm not gonna report someone for making a harmful little (though perhaps juvenile) joke.
Excessively sexual usernames aren't any less bad than racial slurs. Considering we're talking about a well-selling Nintendo console there's definitely a lot young squids going around. I don't mind such jokes myself either but it doesn't mean I agree little kids seeing explict content is a good thing - especially in a very family friendly game like Splatoon. If they don't get it they're going to look it up one way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom