• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

March Splatfest: Chicken or Egg first? (NoA+NoE)

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Results are up for NA. Egg won popularity, Chicken won both wins.

And eww, the win:loss ratios are way out of wack. Not even close for any category.

53:47 for solo
56:44 for team

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
One of the few occasions where my experience lines up with the results. Congratulations to team chicken, you had far better players on average, can confirm from both sides. D:

Cyan

Inkling Commander
That brings the scores to 7-1 for Pearl over here in Europe. The only Splatfest so far where Marina has won was the one Worldwide 'Fest of Action vs Comedy, which I wasn't surprised about in the least with how bad my teams were there. Not too surprised about the Solo win, but I would never have known how Team turned out having never been able to form teams due to requiring 4 players and in Europe you'll be hard pressed to find 3 others to team up with. Now onwards towards April, another map (Rank X at the end of the month), and whatever silliness Nintendo of Europe deems necessary for Splatfest #9! :P

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Bummer about the results, but I expected as much. I still don't quite understand how mathematically the team and solo ratios can be so different.
Once the exact ink colours and shades had been revealed by the American players here, it reminded me of something rather interesting:
So, it reminded you of that instead of a normal egg?

I think it's not much deeper than eggs being related to Easter.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I finally made Top 100...you have no idea how much this means to me. It might not seem that important to most but I REALLY wanted to be a part of Splatoon history. All I wanted was my name to be there one day so I could say, “hey I was there” when this game just started to blow up.

The funny part is, I had no intention of trying to get a high power this time around. I had a terrible first 7 matches and was 90% certain I was just gonna call it a day once I got king. Then suddenly I just got on a streak and I said I’ll stop once I lose.

50 games later or so I didn’t drop a game (except for DC matches) and I crossed the 2500 mark. I could have gone farther but it would just be a matter of putting in a ridiculous amount of time since every win was less than 1 point on average.

Thank you Team Chicken for helping me realize one of my Splatoon dreams. I didn’t do it myself, everyone on my team in Solo Queue yesterday helped me do it. So I’m grateful.

the

Inkling Commander
I finally made Top 100...you have no idea how much this means to me. It might not seem that important to most but I REALLY wanted to be a part of Splatoon history. All I wanted was my name to be there one day so I could say, “hey I was there” when this game just started to blow up.

The funny part is, I had no intention of trying to get a high power this time around. I had a terrible first 7 matches and was 90% certain I was just gonna call it a day once I got king. Then suddenly I just got on a streak and I said I’ll stop once I lose.

50 games later or so I didn’t drop a game (except for DC matches) and I crossed the 2500 mark. I could have gone farther but it would just be a matter of putting in a ridiculous amount of time since every win was less than 1 point on average.

Thank you Team Chicken for helping me realize one of my Splatoon dreams. I didn’t do it myself, everyone on my team in Solo Queue yesterday helped me do it. So I’m grateful.
Yo that’s so cool! I think I’ve seen a couple other ppl from this forum in that list. Congrats on joining the wall of fame!!

SH101

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8123-4313-8823
This was fun, I enjoyed the white ink..Wasn’t my best splatfest but wound up 28/22 of the last 50. Shifty station was really cool. Would have been even better if young squids knew how to play defense and didn’t immediately change the other side every match... If i didn’t immediately ink and defend the first zone until it locked down, we lost pretty much every time.Also when 2 or more of the other team came up the ramp to kill me and ink that area right before lockdown, I almost never had any help to stop them. Got a few double and triple kills which was cool, mostly just got killed though lol.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
I played 61 matches, 42 wins, 18 losses, with 1 Mirror match loss against Team Chicken and a disconnect before a match started. That gave me a win rate just shy of 75%. What was my best Splatfest Power? 2288.1, and my final resting spot was 2192. Why should anyone have a massively high win rate in Splatfest and yet struggle to boost their power into the 2300s? I hit Chicken King in 2 hours of matches, and continued to both contribute more wins to my team, and to boost my power to try and get a spot in the Top 100. Things went fairly well to start, climbed to the high 2200s with 15-25 power gains with each win.

Then in the usual Splatoon 2 Splatfest way I lost 2 matches, and my power drops by 60 points, which I then spend the following 8 matches getting ridiculously small gains by comparison (+2, +4, occasionally +10s, and very rarely +20 and higher), only for one single loss to wipe out the entire 30mins' worth of progress. This made it very frustrating to play for that purpose, to play really well, cover turf, get a fair few kills and lose by marginal %s or let down by major skill differences in the teams and lose everything. And what makes this worse is the Top 100 is shared between solo and team, meaning anyone who can create a full 4 player squad with the perfect team comp and use voice communication will easily hit 2400-2500 and guarantee a spot in there every single time. Obviously you can ignore this, and it is just for fun/small bragging rights, but why have a feature and encourage people to aim for it if you're going to make a system this fundamentally flawed? I mean this sums up Splatoon 2 in a nutshell (bad Rank system, atrocious League management with Power not separating skill etc.), but I've come to understand that if I want to enjoy a Splatfest and happily walk away I'll play until King, then carry on for a while longer, (maybe if I have a high Power at its best) and then stop at the next loss that occurs, so I don't hook myself in to carrying on more than is wise too.
I 100% agree it should be divided between Teams and Solo. Not everyone has access to a clan that will just breeze through 99% of enemy teams to get up. Plus, it’s not like they combine League Results with Solo Queue Results. Imagine how silly that would be if they did? The funny thing is that’s exactly how Splatfests work right now.

I will say though even for Solo Queue it might not even be fair, for two reasons: 1) Players who sabotage matches & 2) I’ve seen clan members “coordinate” joining the same lobbies (along with VC) to have an advantage over the disorganized enemy team. Basically what I’m saying is if you have bad matchmaking luck like the above (oh, also late game DCs), then your power will not reflect your true ability.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I 100% agree it should be divided between Teams and Solo. Not everyone has access to a clan that will just breeze through 99% of enemy teams to get up. Plus, it’s not like they combine League Results with Solo Queue Results. Imagine how silly that would be if they did? The funny thing is that’s exactly how Splatfests work right now.

I will say though even for Solo Queue it might not even be fair, for two reasons: 1) Players who sabotage matches & 2) I’ve seen clan members “coordinate” joining the same lobbies (along with VC) to have an advantage over the disorganized enemy team. Basically what I’m saying is if you have bad matchmaking luck like the above (oh, also late game DCs), then your power will not reflect your true ability.
I wish that Splatoon 2's system would return to Splatoon 1's system; starting with a power level from the start, and you'll get match making based on that instead. In addition, we should keep the splatfest teams between battles.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
Smh; team Egg had some HORRIBLE players. I think I won like around 5 matches out of 30. That white ink swayed everyone to the dark side. :/

Cyan

Inkling Commander

Yep, the Splatfest Power system is not well thought out at all. I'm 69th on Team Flight (not sure if any US players can see that one, but I'd assume so since it was a shared theme), and I got Top 100 on Space Adventure in Splatoon 1. The biggest issue we have is Splatfest Power doesn't do or mean anything. I was in the 2100-2200 range for most of the Splatfest after the 7 placement matches and was being paired with players who were Level 20 and less, so how is that ever going to help people boost their rank when they have to work twice as hard against a team you face that are all S/S+ or way more experienced at the game. In Splatoon 1 the devs saw how unfair and unenjoyable Splatfests were for younger players and the casual audience, as us S/S+ players would easily get matched against those with massively inferior skill levels and would make 90% of Turf Wars a spawn camp for about half the match.

The last Splatfest without Power was really significant in this for me (Pokémon Red vs Pokémon Blue was that last one). The maps in Europe were Camp Triggerfish, Hammerhead Bridge and Blackbelly Skatepark, and I stuck rigidly with the Custom Range Blaster. What happened in most cases was me single-handedly spawn camping in most Triggerfish and Hammerhead matches. I wasn't proud of it, but when you run out of map to turf you have little choice but to hold a line outside the enemy's front door. I was on Pokémon Blue (never played either game), and one match my team was all Level 35+ (or something like that, was a long time ago) and we were matched against a team where not one of them exceeded Level 18 on Triggerfish, and I felt really guilty about the spawn camp, so the Splatfest Power was a welcome change, and the Top 100 was a neat bonus on top. The devs gave us initial Splatfest Powers that were dependant on Level (if unranked) or Rank, splitting the players with no ranks from the Cs from the Bs from the As from the Ss from the S+s. Yes we all complained that S/S+ Splatfests became deathmatch hell, but it allowed the weaker players to continue Turf War as normal and still contribute to the team/have fun.

Fast forward to Splatoon 2 and they kept the Splatfest Power system. I was fine with this "Okay, they're going to keep skill levels separated at all times" I thought. Nope. We don't get an initial starting power (most likely to give everyone a shot at Top 100), but a 7 game placement bracket. I was fine with this until we all quickly discovered that our Power level has no influence on the matchmaking in Splatfests. The fact a low level, low skill player can get a placement power of 1600 and then be matched with a 2200+ S/S+ player and be matched against a team full of the same 2000-2200 players isn't fair for either side. It creates unbalanced teams in skill, and it doesn't let the weaker player do much besides get constantly outplayed by superior players and fall for easy tricks. I hate the matches in Splatoon 2 where I do really well and contribute a lot, but because the skill in-balance is so wide my team loses because they can't win a 2v1 against the remaining enemy player (just making an example). It sure isn't pleasant for anyone, so stop doing it Nintendo.

I wish that Splatoon 2's system would return to Splatoon 1's system; starting with a power level from the start, and you'll get match making based on that instead. In addition, we should keep the splatfest teams between battles.
They can easily make a best of both worlds here, use our ranks/levels (if we aren't ranked) as a starting point and keep the placement matches, then combine the 2 numerical results of data to give out a Splatfest Power. Then they need to put a cap on how wide the Splatfest Power search will work when looking for players to fight with/against. Mario Kart Wii used to search for players (this feature was removed on the custom servers) that were within a certain value of your VR (the number for ranking that increased and decreased depending on race results), I believe it was something like +/-500 so if you had 8500VR the game would look for rooms where the host has somewhere in the region of 8000-9000VR, thereby keeping you with players of your own skill level. With the way Splatfest Power works and is gained/lost I'd argue that it should be in the region of 100, so if you have a Splatfest Power of 2239.4 then anyone who is between 2139.4 and 2339.4 will find you and get paired into a team, then the game gives the average Power for your team and uses the same region search for an enemy team matchup. That way Splatfest Power on teams will no longer do something stupid like 2000 vs 2120 and be more likely to go along the lines of 2060 vs 2080 and be closer, thereby removing the massive losses on your individual power and the tiny inconsequential gains.

Bummer about the results, but I expected as much. I still don't quite understand how mathematically the team and solo ratios can be so different.

So, it reminded you of that instead of a normal egg?

I think it's not much deeper than eggs being related to Easter.
Well a normal egg has a clear translucent colour for the egg white, and well coloured icing is known for mixing its colours together and making a bit of a mess much like Splatoon and its inking mechanics, so the connection to the icing was there. It was a bit of fun at the end of the day, and I still believe there is a small connection Easter with this theme. Easter eggs, new born chicks, chickens laying said chicks, it was probably the only way Nintendo of America could have gone about it without actually making it Easter related, which actually has ties to Paganism and Christianity, so it could have been a bit too close to religious topics for Nintendo to go ahead with it. Again, this would technically be early, but it is that time of year, Spring brings about the beginnings of life in nature, and I may be jumping the gun, but I was just making light of this Splatfest and how the ink colours led me to something else that is only around during the run up to Easter.

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
Fast forward to Splatoon 2 and they kept the Splatfest Power system. I was fine with this "Okay, they're going to keep skill levels separated at all times" I thought. Nope. We don't get an initial starting power (most likely to give everyone a shot at Top 100), but a 7 game placement bracket. I was fine with this until we all quickly discovered that our Power level has no influence on the matchmaking in Splatfests. The fact a low level, low skill player can get a placement power of 1600 and then be matched with a 2200+ S/S+ player and be matched against a team full of the same 2000-2200 players isn't fair for either side. It creates unbalanced teams in skill, and it doesn't let the weaker player do much besides get constantly outplayed by superior players and fall for easy tricks. I hate the matches in Splatoon 2 where I do really well and contribute a lot, but because the skill in-balance is so wide my team loses because they can't win a 2v1 against the remaining enemy player (just making an example). It sure isn't pleasant for anyone, so stop doing it Nintendo.

They can easily make a best of both worlds here, use our ranks/levels (if we aren't ranked) as a starting point and keep the placement matches, then combine the 2 numerical results of data to give out a Splatfest Power. Then they need to put a cap on how wide the Splatfest Power search will work when looking for players to fight with/against. Mario Kart Wii used to search for players (this feature was removed on the custom servers) that were within a certain value of your VR (the number for ranking that increased and decreased depending on race results), I believe it was something like +/-500 so if you had 8500VR the game would look for rooms where the host has somewhere in the region of 8000-9000VR, thereby keeping you with players of your own skill level. With the way Splatfest Power works and is gained/lost I'd argue that it should be in the region of 100, so if you have a Splatfest Power of 2239.4 then anyone who is between 2139.4 and 2339.4 will find you and get paired into a team, then the game gives the average Power for your team and uses the same region search for an enemy team matchup. That way Splatfest Power on teams will no longer do something stupid like 2000 vs 2120 and be more likely to go along the lines of 2060 vs 2080 and be closer, thereby removing the massive losses on your individual power and the tiny inconsequential gains.
First of all, sorry for clipping your post in such weird places etc. I was trying to point out which parts I agreed with you on. Mostly I agreed with nearly everything (I can't say ALL because I am not as smart, but I can see your point, and because I never thought about it much until reading your post). For everyone else, yes it seems the Power System really doesn't work well at all! I would be outmatched by quite a bit! One of my battles was my team had about 1800 and the other team had something like 2300; I'd also go back and look at ranks. How can a team of A- players ever hope to win against a team of S+50s?! How is this even FUN for anyone? The S+50s are basically unable to paint any more turf after the poor A- players who can't even get off spawn or attempt to cover turf? Yes, I know the argument is to "get good" at the game or don't play at all, but this is so unfair and unacceptable! I contribute a lot and feel I'm quite good at the game. I can get around 10 or so kills per match some times, but it's so dumb that even that isn't enough to win if the other team is all S+50s. Totally unfair and unbalanced.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
Associating Easter with eggs is in no way a stretch. Both the time of year, and the symbolism of the holiday lend themselves to that. There's a reason why cream eggs are only available during this time.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
After leaving while watching the Olympics I want to try to contribute a few points to this discussion.

I was on team chicken (when I first picked it seemed logical, I soon realized my mistake after actually thinking) and the results are bringing back memories of Splat 1's splatfests. I finished with a record of 34-21, including a mirror match I won, and a final power of 2105, which could be my best, I don't usually play splatfest for power. Near the beginning I dropped to around 1840 but then I had mostly easy matches after that.

Most of the battles were team chicken dominating egg, but I had an incredibly infuriating battle where nobody on my team left, but I finished with a K/D of 20/2 and we still lost by 3%. More reasons for me to hate mussleforge. Aside from that I think that most people didn't pick team chicken for…reasons…but because they knew more people would pick team egg. This was the strategy employed in the first game, highlighted in the Pokemon red vs. blue. Most players knew the younger kids would like team red because it had a cool fire dragon and so they picked team blue as a counter (I picked blue because I played that game!). Sure enough, like every other splatfest, team red won popularity by a large margin, but team blue won because they won more battles, and battles also have 6x the weight of popularity in the first game. Because team battles are a little less curved—most kids don't have a squad—it is more balanced, but once again a team dominated popularity but still lost the fest very easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom