• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Mario Kart 8 Social Thread

IMA_MOOSE

Inkling
NNID
NightmareShy.X
I only had the game for about a week when i rented it from the Library.
But i adored being able to play as Rosaline.
As far as buying the game i dont' think i would.
It makes me motion sick sadly x.x

ShadowB

Free Agent
I play mk8 competitive and I see some members on here who I have met/seen on mk8 forum. Splatoon is a game I won't be putting as much effort into but I'm enjoying it so far.

If any of you are serious karters(with banter), hit me up!

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
Smash was the main reason I purchased a Wii U, but Mario Kart 8 is what stole a good majority of my time away. The racing is sooo smooth and feels sooo right. 200cc brought brand new life to the game and I just can't play Mario Kart unless it's on 200cc. The 2nd DLC pack brought Villager and Isabelle, and well, I can't really play as anyone else other than those two, except maybe my Mii on occasion.

Also, uh, I'm curious. How does one play Mario Kart 8 competitively? I mean, it can get competitive, but I'm assuming one means Time Trials as far as that goes? The random nature of items seems like it'd make any sort of competitiveness in the game dwindle away in normal races. I guess competitive to me has a connotation connected to Smash Bros, even though every game is different.

Indy Wolfy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CheveyoWolf
Well there are certain techs in the game that can give you the edge against your opponents such as firehopping, demon sliding,and softdrifting, and TTing helps perfect your ability to use those strats and to know the driving line of the track is key as well

StayPuft

Pro Squid
NNID
cellularSP
Not gonna lie that those techniques you mentioned as well as map knowledge can help. I'm just saying that items, especially in 200, can really throw any sort of skill out the window in my opinion, which makes for a less-skill based experience, which I attribute to more casual play as opposed to competitive. Of course, skill someone has could potentially allow them to attempt to play around the RNG.

Vinyl.

Inkster Jr.
Since I just made a tournament group, I figured I wouldn't waste my time to not share it.

3795 - 4317 - 3706

It's every Saturday and Sunday with no limit. If the group (or this thread) has enough players, I may be able to host tournaments.

@theblackbird

Teeples

Full Squid
NNID
Flow_Teeples
Not gonna lie that those techniques you mentioned as well as map knowledge can help. I'm just saying that items, especially in 200, can really throw any sort of skill out the window in my opinion, which makes for a less-skill based experience, which I attribute to more casual play as opposed to competitive. Of course, skill someone has could potentially allow them to attempt to play around the RNG.
You would be surprised how consistently better, the better players do in competitive team matches. Teams making big upsets is also extremely rare. Items play a role, but it's more so how you use them. There obviously is a luck component but it's much smaller than people think and people tend to blame luck rather their errors which leads them to be ignorant in terms of improving.

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
Hey! I'm trying to get into competitive Mario Kart 8 but I have not been able to find many solid resources online. Would anyone be willing to point me towards some good YouTubers/websites?

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Smash was the main reason I purchased a Wii U, but Mario Kart 8 is what stole a good majority of my time away. The racing is sooo smooth and feels sooo right. 200cc brought brand new life to the game and I just can't play Mario Kart unless it's on 200cc. The 2nd DLC pack brought Villager and Isabelle, and well, I can't really play as anyone else other than those two, except maybe my Mii on occasion.

Also, uh, I'm curious. How does one play Mario Kart 8 competitively? I mean, it can get competitive, but I'm assuming one means Time Trials as far as that goes? The random nature of items seems like it'd make any sort of competitiveness in the game dwindle away in normal races. I guess competitive to me has a connotation connected to Smash Bros, even though every game is different.
In my opinion, Mario Kart 8 isn't competitive. In fact, I think Nintendo did everything in their power to make it very competitive-unfriendly. You need only look at the way items are distributed, which is distance based rather than position based, effectively eliminating sandbagging. In a sense, this a good thing, but it really makes the game unfair and thus not fun. It's too infuriating. You can't even hold two items at once anymore and red shells are extremely common, and you often don't have anything to defend yourself with because you get coins. Definitely not my idea of an enjoyable game.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Hey! I'm trying to get into competitive Mario Kart 8 but I have not been able to find many solid resources online. Would anyone be willing to point me towards some good YouTubers/websites?
mkboards.com is all you really need. Although the mk8records youtube channel is good for showing you the WR strats on all the courses.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Have DLC packs, although I tend to play more Mario Kart local with friends since they are always over and playing. 200cc is insane haha, fun but I haven't found the right car build and character for it yet. With Isabelle I go way too fast.

General Pikmin

Inkling
NNID
ORANGEtheGORILLA
Lol, talking about mk8 on squidboards, here's a tip for 200cc...
You can luck any combo you want even the fastest combo in the game. Just only brake while drifting it helps alot

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom